Destiny 2

If you played Destiny, you might realize this may not work anyway. It's very MMO like and you run into tons of other people in huge open world maps. Random world event spawn all over and people from nearby areas collapse on them to kill the enemies. They have world servers running the content spawns and such to make the game work.

Sounds like something that needs Dedicated servers to me.

How do you play multiplayer without dedicated servers the game just dies after 6 months I guess.

Not sure but whatever they did over on the consoles for the first game worked in a big way.

It remains to be seen how this is going to work. I'm still not 100 percent clear if dedicated servers can be implemented for a quasi MMO ish type setup like the way Division and Destiny and games like that run.

If it could? Yes, that would be far and away my preferred option for any multiplayer venture.

Not sure but whatever they did over on the consoles for the first game worked in a big way.

Hyped it to kingdom come and established enough of a player base of console nubs who don't know the difference between P2P and dedicated servers? Don't see that strategy working very well on PC.

It remains to be seen how this is going to work. I'm still not 100 percent clear if dedicated servers can be implemented for a quasi MMO ish type setup like the way Division and Destiny and games like that run.

You sure that The Division doesn't use dedicated servers? I recall reading that it did.

Hyped it to kingdom come and established enough of a player base of console nubs who don't know the difference between P2P and dedicated servers? Don't see that strategy working very well on PC.

Could be. I guess ultimately it remains to be seen.

For people like us on forums like these, let's face it: We're a vocal minority.

I think these people know they better have something rock solid from top to bottom because this kind of game will live and die quickly by exactly what we are talking about.

You sure that The Division doesn't use dedicated servers? I recall reading that it did.

I wasn't sure so I checked.

http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-behind-the-scenes-of-the-online-gameplay/

Yes. Ok then... this is what Destiny 2 needs to have or something like it. No excuses.

EDIT ADD:

Don't want to overextrapolate off of this and the youtube comments are what you expect.

We know PC will do at least 60 fps but the apparent mindset on dedicated servers is troubling:

Some guy wrote:

Sorry did I just hear no dedicated servers ' it's not an investment we've made' ..... so not only is it 30fps it's also going to be the same laggy mess as before. Speechless

23:09 ish is where this discussion comes up.

If that's a universal statement... wow.

Last edited:
I have probably 200 hours into Destiny on PS4 and almost never experienced lag. Y'all are just making up problems before they even happen.

I have probably 200 hours into Destiny on PS4 and almost never experienced lag. Y'all are just making up problems before they even happen.

I didn't put 200 hrs into it, but I never had a problem with lag, either. I agree, though. People here are blasting it for a problem that it likely won't have.

I probably came in close to 200 and I personally never had any significant problems. I'm not losing sleep over it.

I am observing even vets of part 1 being disappointed in this news but ultimately, it remains to be seen.

Ideally, I think dedicated servers is always the way to go and not doing it is a decision that always perplexes me when I see it.

looking forward to this. so they don't have dedicated servers. The division had dedicated servers and has always had problems with hackers. wonder how they are going to avoid this

I played Destiny 1 mostly solo on PS4 for a while. I think this game will be a must buy since I really enjoyed 1.

Whelp, I didn't know preorders went live beginning of April...

But I was able to snag a CE for the XBONE from GAME in the UK. Description said no international orders, but I was able to enter a US address and I got confirmation a few minutes later. Hopefully those cunts won't back out come September...

Update: Beta code redeemed :smug:

Last edited:
So what's this game about?

Is it like Borderlands? First person RPG shooter with a lot of gear? Just in MMO-ish genre?

I read Destiny official forums and gave up quickly, seems to be attracting a lot of kids/immature people. I will stay away if the same population is playing CoD, Battlefield and Counter-Strike games.

Is it like Borderlands? First person RPG shooter with a lot of gear? Just in MMO-ish genre?

I read Destiny official forums and gave up quickly, seems to be attracting a lot of kids/immature people. I will stay away if the same population is playing CoD, Battlefield and Counter-Strike games.

Destiny Message boards bad I've been there kids playing and reading too much into the game.

Destiny the game you just have to try it I guess it's not for everyone but the recent DLC Taken King, Rise of Iron has done alot to give the game some more depth.

I guess one could say it's like Borderlands. You find a lot of loot and there is character progression. Similar to Borderlands your character has one special power they can use sparingly, and every character class gets one unique type of grenade to use. There are MMO-like features like raids, but they are not on a massive scale. Alongside the raids are similar strikes, which are cooperative instances to advance the story. Raids allow a max of 6 players, while strikes allow a max of 3. Then there are familiar FPS PVP modes available. You will also see other players around the hub and the solar system, but again it's not on a massive scale like your typical MMO. You can ad-hoc team up with each other to take on the scheduled skirmishes out in the open world. In each of these single player and coop modes, loot is softcore, so you don't have to worry about losing a possible good drop to some rando running by.

The actual player base is very diverse, as one could expect from such a large player population. The vocal ones on the forum are just the loudest, and hence the most die hard and fervent. In the actual game most everyone is helpful and cordial.

I put in tons of time into Destiny 1 (maybe not 200 hours, probably at least 2/3 of that) and have never experience lag or a lack of players.
For what it is, the game is pretty great now. I didn't like it very much when it shipped, but the version of Destiny that's available now is terrific.

I put in tons of time into Destiny 1 (maybe not 200 hours, probably at least 2/3 of that) and have never experience lag or a lack of players.
For what it is, the game is pretty great now. I didn't like it very much when it shipped, but the version of Destiny that's available now is terrific.

Yes, it most certainly has evolved since it came out and I expect the same will be true with part 2's life cycle.

I guess one could say it's like Borderlands. You find a lot of loot and there is character progression. Similar to Borderlands your character has one special power they can use sparingly, and every character class gets one unique type of grenade to use. There are MMO-like features like raids, but they are not on a massive scale. Alongside the raids are similar strikes, which are cooperative instances to advance the story. Raids allow a max of 6 players, while strikes allow a max of 3. Then there are familiar FPS PVP modes available. You will also see other players around the hub and the solar system, but again it's not on a massive scale like your typical MMO. You can ad-hoc team up with each other to take on the scheduled skirmishes out in the open world. In each of these single player and coop modes, loot is softcore, so you don't have to worry about losing a possible good drop to some rando running by.

The actual player base is very diverse, as one could expect from such a large player population. The vocal ones on the forum are just the loudest, and hence the most die hard and fervent. In the actual game most everyone is helpful and cordial.

sounds great. i'm looking for something similar to The Division (which i love) and think this will do.

So far I'm getting pretty excited for this, I really enjoyed destiny and hope to get just as much out of destiny 2. One thing that makes me happy is the addition of a group finder for raids (even if its only to help fill up guild spots), kinda bummed about the drop to 4v4 pvp now though

I hate to say it, but I'll probably be getting this one for PS4 now that I have one.

Bigs heads up to my fellow Canadians, you can preorder this for $50 (38% off) if you have amazon prime. They are doing an E3 sale

im a fan of this game. in many ways. I'm happy to see expanded console support. only thing I care about is cross platform support.

^ Pretty nice. I see the PC version will be the only one capable of >30FPS - all the consoles including Scorpio will be capped at 30.

Fair tradeoff for having to wait an extra month for the game. I can't tolerate 30FPS anymore.

After playing Destiny 1 on PS4, I really like the way they've upgraded the graphics engine. I can't wait to play this come October, though I'll have Shadow of War to play as well. So many great games bleeding my wallet dry in Fall & I don't even have enough money/time for all of them either.

If that was on PC, they definitely weren't playing with a kb/m. That was cringe-worthy aiming and reaction time.

I think it's scripted since the console gameplay video showed the exact same stuff, but this one is a shorter segment.

Back