The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

If I'm not mistaken you've got both the PG32UQX and XG321UG, correct? What do you think about haloing/blooming between the Asus and the ViewSonic, do you see differences and which one do you find better?

I currently have the PG32UQX, XG321UG, Neo G8, AW3423DW, and 45GR95QE.

The PG and XG are very similar. I prefer the image on my PG, but this may be just a result of panel variations. The panel on my PG seems to be calibrated a bit better, and it has somewhat better uniformity, but that's probably all panel lottery stuff. The haloing in HDR is pretty similar.

The main thing I don't like about the PG is the fan noise. The XG is silent. Both the PG and XG have the same amount of motion blur which is not horrible, but noticeable. It doesn't prevent me from playing fast games well; I just notice the blur.

The Neo G8 is significantly better in terms of motion clarity, and it has significantly less haloing. However, the HDR image quality isn't as good in terms of color and brightness, and the VA viewing angle problem is very noticeable.

The OLEDs I have are better than all of the above in terms of motion clarity. The AW is very good, and the 45 is even better. The weakness is brightness. Acceptable on the AW, but really too low on the 45. Color quality is also better on the AW than the 45. The 45 is more immersive.

All these monitors have their strengths and weaknesses. I like gaming best on the 45 overall.

I currently have the PG32UQX, XG321UG, Neo G8, AW3423DW, and 45GR95QE.

The PG and XG are very similar. I prefer the image on my PG, but this may be just a result of panel variations. The panel on my PG seems to be calibrated a bit better, and it has somewhat better uniformity, but that's probably all panel lottery stuff. The haloing in HDR is pretty similar.

The main thing I don't like about the PG is the fan noise. The XG is silent. Both the PG and XG have the same amount of motion blur which is not horrible, but noticeable. It doesn't prevent me from playing fast games well; I just notice the blur.

The Neo G8 is significantly better in terms of motion clarity, and it has significantly less haloing. However, the HDR image quality isn't as good in terms of color and brightness, and the VA viewing angle problem is very noticeable.

The OLEDs I have are better than all of the above in terms of motion clarity. The AW is very good, and the 45 is even better. The weakness is brightness. Acceptable on the AW, but really too low on the 45. Color quality is also better on the AW than the 45. The 45 is more immersive.

All these monitors have their strengths and weaknesses. I like gaming best on the 45 overall.
Would you say the UQX or 1UG are still worth getting, or is there anything else with a similar spec worth looking at? I want a 4K 32" 1400HDR G-sync ultimate, but the UQX is a couple of years old now, isn't it? and the 1UG seems to be based on the same panel (plus, has speakers which I don't want).

This is NOT the Acer X32, it's the X27 which has a crazy amount of blooming to show how major differences in FALD tuning greatly affect the result.
You’re comparing a 5 year old monitor with normal LED FALD to a current gen? The current monitor you’re comparing it to has newer tech mini-LEDs so while I agree dialing in FALD algorithm is important you are comparing apples to oranges here. You might as well compare Plasma to OLED.

The Viewsonic (or Asus equivalent) was the only choice. The X32 FP is riddled with issues, and the unpurchasable Innocn 32M2V likely isn't any better. No hardware G-Sync on an LCD = GTFO. If I wanted a rinky dink 27" height screen, I would have stuck with my PG35VQ or bought an AW3423DW and continued living with the downsides of ultrawide. 27" is trash outside of e-sports. I'll settle for blooming over a tiny ass screen any day of the week.

But even ignoring bloom, IPS is absolute shite. There's a reason that all high end LCD TVs are VA panels.
IPS is definitely the proper choice for the an HDR 32 inch 4K monitor. It has superior color reproduction over VA (and this panel even over most OLEDs) which is more important in 10 bit true HDR than a fast panel for a monitor clearly aiming at gaming immersion rather than competitive gaming. Also viewing angles are better for a flat 32 inch screen. The black levels are <0.01 nits or lower with LD on.
There is also a good review from PC Monitors and and TFTCentral.
If I'm not mistaken you've got both the PG32UQX and XG321UG, correct? What do you think about haloing/blooming between the Asus and the ViewSonic, do you see differences and which one do you find better?
I’ve had PG32UQX and XG and the AW OLED. I owned the latter simultaneously but the first two one right after the other.

I couldn’t stand the fan on the PG which was the main reason for keeping the Viewsonic. I believe the VS may have passive cooling for the Gsync module being a newer model but I can’t be sure. Also it was $500 cheaper I think mainly because it didn’t have the crazy OLED screen on the bottom (which I admit was kinda nifty) but unnecessary. Otherwise other than the VS default setting out of the box being on the cool side with too much blue tint (which was easy to correct with adjusting settings) they were basically the same to me.
I also preferred the VS more professional and less gamey look.

The AW OLED, while being a great panel for its price, I’m sorry it could not compete with a 4K flat non UW screen. Sure the motion clarity was great but tbh honest when sitting in front on one or the other while gaming or watching media you quickly don’t notice it. The dimness was not that bad but it would lose fine detail around bright objects like lights in HDR. I have a few pictures demonstrating this I’ll see if I can upload them. Of course OLED lack of blooming was a nice benefit in HDR. The annoying black bars around everything with media consumption was also a deal breaker for me. That being said, when/if a proper golden ratio 32 inch 4K OLED monitor comes out I’ll definitely try it out.

Last edited:
The Viewsonic (or Asus equivalent) was the only choice. The X32 FP is riddled with issues, and the unpurchasable Innocn 32M2V likely isn't any better. No hardware G-Sync on an LCD = GTFO. If I wanted a rinky dink 27" height screen, I would have stuck with my PG35VQ or bought an AW3423DW and continued living with the downsides of ultrawide. 27" is trash outside of e-sports. I'll settle for blooming over a tiny ass screen any day of the week.

But even ignoring bloom, IPS is absolute shite. There's a reason that all high end LCD TVs are VA panels.

Yeah I used to think the same thing, until I actually bought the 32M2V and it's been the greatest display I've ever used, especially at it's price point. The lack of a GSync module hasn't even been close to being a deal breaker.

You’re comparing a 5 year old monitor with normal LED FALD to a current gen? The current monitor you’re comparing it to has newer tech mini-LEDs so while I agree dialing in FALD algorithm is important you are comparing apples to oranges here. You might as well compare Plasma to OLED.

Well if RTings had reviews of the Mini LED Asus/Viewsonic vs 32M2V I would have just used that and you would see that the results would pretty much still be the same despite both monitors using 1152 zone FALDs.

Yeah I used to think the same thing, until I actually bought the 32M2V and it's been the greatest display I've ever used, especially at it's price point. The lack of a GSync module hasn't even been close to being a deal breaker.
Has anyone taken off the bezel and plasti dipped it black on the innocn? did you get use to the silver?

Has anyone taken off the bezel and plasti dipped it black on the innocn? did you get use to the silver?

I never cared about the silver bezel. IMO it's way better than glossy black bezels that would completely ruin the black depth perception on LCD panels.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Still worth getting if motion clarity isn't a top priority. They still have the best HDR if that's your highest priority.
HDR is important, but overall IQ is even more so. Would you say either has an edge, or are they roughly equal, give or take?

Reactions: Xar
like this
HDR is important, but overall IQ is even more so. Would you say either has an edge, or are they roughly equal, give or take?

As I mentioned, the color calibration is better on my PG32UQX, but I don't know if this is just a unit variation issue or more general than that. Maybe more general because Errok32 reported above the same thing that I'm seeing.

The bottom line is that I would go with the Viewsonic because it's silent while the Asus has noticeable fan noise. Beyond that, the differences are few and minor.

As I mentioned, the color calibration is better on my PG32UQX, but I don't know if this is just a unit variation issue or more general than that. Maybe more general because Errok32 reported above the same thing that I'm seeing.

The bottom line is that I would go with the Viewsonic because it's silent while the Asus has noticeable fan noise. Beyond that, the differences are few and minor.
I have a PG32UQX and can't even hear the fan in mine FWIW... The room has to be dead silent and then I can hear the very faint whisper of it.

So, did the latest firmware for the XP32FP actually fix the broken brightness? Evaluated it myself a few months ago but returned it due to brightness in both SDR and HDR being kind of broken.

People said the same thing about the fan in the PG35VQ, and that monitor ended up being louder than my entire computer.
Maybe it's lottery like the panels? I dunno. My PG27UQ I could hear for sure, if I didn't know better, I would not have even noticed the fan on the PG32UQX without listening for it specifically. I also have a later manufacture date too though, so maybe they tamed the curve some?

People said the same thing about the fan in the PG35VQ, and that monitor ended up being louder than my entire computer.
If your monitor is grinding then it sucks too much dust into the bearing which needs an replacement. These fans are not sealed so well. Time to tear it apart then replace the fans. And you can always learn something in the process.

I got the PG35VQ at the launch day for years now. The fan keeps being quiet.

So, did the latest firmware for the XP32FP actually fix the broken brightness? Evaluated it myself a few months ago but returned it due to brightness in both SDR and HDR being kind of broken.
No, it don't. See the changelog provided with V0.015:
1.fix ADW customer complaint issue
2.change OD to be adjustable when freesync is on
3.change HDR behavior
4. fix customer complaint issue, fuzzy screen of PC game Witcher3

No, it don't. See the changelog provided with V0.015:
1.fix ADW customer complaint issue
2.change OD to be adjustable when freesync is on
3.change HDR behavior
4. fix customer complaint issue, fuzzy screen of PC game Witcher3
Reviews seem to indicate something different though but are a bit vauge on what issues remain. But I guess it is an impossible situation on anything not OLED to provide both high brightness and minimal blooming at the same time.

Reactions: Xar
like this
Reviews seem to indicate something different though but are a bit vauge on what issues remain. But I guess it is an impossible situation on anything not OLED to provide both high brightness and minimal blooming at the same time.
Since when OLED is bright? It's only possible on OLED to provide some dim highlight and minimal bloom at the same time.

Maybe it's lottery like the panels? I dunno. My PG27UQ I could hear for sure, if I didn't know better, I would not have even noticed the fan on the PG32UQX without listening for it specifically. I also have a later manufacture date too though, so maybe they tamed the curve some?
The main undisclosed piece is always the ambient noise level. People running 1000RPM+ on their fans are not going to notice as much as someone running 600-800.

The main undisclosed piece is always the ambient noise level. People running 1000RPM+ on their fans are not going to notice as much as someone running 600-800.
I work from home, so I am on this PC all the time, and when working, the fans are in "silent mode". Fans at about 600 RPM tops, video card fans not even on.

It's not the ambient noise. When you go full HDR on both video and audio you will eventually get some pair of open-back headphones like DT 1990. Then you will try everything to keep the noise down to hear every sound stage. You will also keep the the room pitch black to see HDR. It's the same logic. The room is quiet enough so you can hear your own heart beat.

The undisclosed piece is in fact the dust level. I've said if the monitor is grinding then the fans suck too much dust. They needs replacement.
After 5 years of PG27UQ I have the fan in the middle grinds harder. What you can find out is the middle fan is the dustiest while the side fan is still quiet with barely any dust. Just replace the middle fan then let the side fan keep operating for a couple more years.
796581_IMG_20230118_084403.jpg

796593_IMG_20230120_011252.jpg

Reactions: jt39
like this
The 32" INNOCN 1000nit Mini LED is finally back in stock today

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCK1K44F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

grabbing one to test against the X32 FP daily driver.
Keep us posted. Mine had a lot of problems and support was unwilling to even look into the issues (this was back when it first released). Supposedly the 27" has a new firmware version and things are running smoother, I'd be curious if this one also has a newer firmware.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Keep us posted. Mine had a lot of problems and support was unwilling to even look into the issues (this was back when it first released). Supposedly the 27" has a new firmware version and things are running smoother, I'd be curious if this one also has a newer firmware.
Where did you see this firmware? I can't even find the 27M2V or 32M2V on the innocn website

For people that are interested in the X32 this is the best review you can find on the internet yet.
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/acer-predator-x32-fp/

I was a bit frustrated from the difficulties in switching from HDR/SDR on the X32FP
and I bought the PG32UQX to "upgrade/sidegrade" my X32.

With very bright HDR contents/highlights PG32UQX is clearly superior to the X32, no doubt,
with average contents I prefer the X32. why?

if I didn't know the specs I would have said the X32 has more zones than the PG32UQX.
PG32UQX tends to have a lot of haloing due to the brighter bias algorithm,
and in some scenes it's like if it has less zones than the X32 even if it's the opposite.

the unit I tried had a very silent fan, but the fan was clearly audible when using HDR contents at 27°C ambient temp.
this only is a deal breaker for me.

leave alone the fact that the PG32UQX has a real slow panel when compared to X32,
to my eyes the PG32UQX is very comparable to the PG32UQ in terms of "motion clarity".

when switching from X32 to PG32UQX it's like if you are activating the motion blur in the game...

I had much better expectations for the PG32UQX, I'll continue my tests but for now,
I think that the X32FP is the one that will stay on my desk longer.

For people that are interested in the X32 this is the best review you can find on the internet yet.

I was a bit frustrated from the difficulties in switching from HDR/SDR on the X32FP

With very bright HDR contents/highlights PG32UQX is clearly superior to the X32, no doubt,

if I didn't know the specs I would have said the X32 has more zones than the PG32UQX.
and in some scenes it's like if it has less zones than the X32 even if it's the opposite.

the unit I tried had a very silent fan, but the fan was clearly audible when using HDR contents at 27°C ambient temp.

leave alone the fact that the PG32UQX has a real slow panel when compared to X32,
to my eyes the PG32UQX is very comparable to the PG32UQ in terms of "motion clarity".

when switching from X32 to PG32UQX it's like if you are activating the motion blur in the game...

I had much better expectations for the PG32UQX, I'll continue my tests but for now,
If you've bought that 96-zone IPS M9 you will find out that monitor has even less bloom than all of these mini-led monitors including 1196-zone VA G8. It's has the same amount of bloom as a 2500-zone IPS MBP14.

A low-zone monitor won't magically has less bloom than a high-zone monitor unless it sacrifices accuracy of brightness for bloom compensation to lift the backlight or reduce small-dot brightness.

If motion clarity is a high priority (it is for me on my gaming setup), then the Neo G8 is the best choice among 4K LCDs. It has some issues, but they're acceptable in my opinion for the benefit you get in motion clarity.

The newest firmware has the Acer X32 FP automatically switch to HDR mode, on HDR input.
Also, now you can always disable the Overdrive completely, since the option has been unlocked, where previously it was locked in some circumstances.
The auto-dimming is still manual though.

Last edited:
If you've bought that 96-zone IPS M9 you will find out that monitor has even less bloom than all of these mini-led monitors including 1196-zone VA G8. It's has the same amount of bloom as a 2500-zone IPS MBP14.

A low-zone monitor won't magically has less bloom than a high-zone monitor unless it sacrifices accuracy of brightness for bloom compensation to lift the backlight or reduce small-dot brightness.
Agreed. When I put my X27 next to the XG321UG, I also notice it has less "blooming" but that is because , in a side-by-side comparison, the black levels are lifted all around so as to compensate for the lower number of dimming zones. The blacks on the X27 are not as deep as the XG321UG. So you are sacrificing overall contrast per zones of the screen for less blooming.

On the other hand, some may find that appealing too and I sometimes wish the XG would have an option to lift the backlight as well to reduce blooming. To my eye changing the zone setting Variable Backlight Mode from 1->2.->3 only recruits more dimming zones, but I could be wrong?

PCMonitors.info is one of the most underrated reviewers of monitors. Perhaps the videos are a bit to long and that might scare a few viewers away, but I know he considers it his style and who can blame him. A shame he does not have more views, the content deserves it.

A bit tempted to give the X32FP another try, returned it originally because the brightness and brightness settings were completely broken but seems like it has improved now? I recall that the screen coating and viewing angles were not as good as expected even being an IPS and that Rtings mentioned this in their review.

A bit tempted to give the X32FP another try, returned it originally because the brightness and brightness settings were completely broken but seems like it has improved now? I recall that the screen coating and viewing angles were not as good as expected even being an IPS and that Rtings mentioned this in their review.
Did you turn the Max Brightness option "On"? The monitor is unusable without it.
The monitor still requires increasing brightness and contrast in in Nvidia control panel for a bright HDR experience.

I am not exactly blown away by the monitor, but having tried out the Samsung Neo G7 and the LG 32GQ950 there's sadly nothing else that's overall better than X32 FP available in Europe. Asus PG32UQX is $4k if you are lucky to even find one, while the InnoCN screens will never be sold in Europe and they are actually worse in some regards your might find important to you than the X32 FP.

Last edited:
Did you turn the Max Brightness option "On"? The monitor is unusable without it.
The monitor still requires increasing brightness and contrast in in Nvidia control panel for a bright HDR experience.

I am not exactly blown away by the monitor, but having tried out the Samsung Neo G7 and the LG 32GQ950 there's sadly nothing else that's overall better than X32 FP available in Europe. Asus PG32UQX is $4k if you are lucky to even find one, while the InnoCN screens will never be sold in Europe and they are actually worse in some regards your might find important to you than the X32 FP.
Yes, max brightness was enabled but still.

After having looked at some recent reviews, I am actually leaning now towards the Cooler Master GP27U instead, seems to be a faster display (a bit) and also the smaller size should make text crisper and local dimming zones a bit smaller. Have an OLED G9 on the way as well as two 42" C2s from before so I guess it will be kind of a showdown if I get another LCD as well :)

If I didn't game the PG32UQX would be nice but the slow panel rules it out for me and would not consider getting it today in the same way I wouldn't buy the X27 today either (regardless of price). If you mostly play slow paced HDR games it could perhaps be an alternative though but don't think it is still being sold.

Agreed. When I put my X27 next to the XG321UG, I also notice it has less "blooming" but that is because , in a side-by-side comparison, the black levels are lifted all around so as to compensate for the lower number of dimming zones. The blacks on the X27 are not as deep as the XG321UG. So you are sacrificing overall contrast per zones of the screen for less blooming.

On the other hand, some may find that appealing too and I sometimes wish the XG would have an option to lift the backlight as well to reduce blooming. To my eye changing the zone setting Variable Backlight Mode from 1->2.->3 only recruits more dimming zones, but I could be wrong?
Old panels like X27/PG27UQ have lifted backlight against PG32UQX or PG35VQ which can have backlight close to 0nits.

52236058391_e3736cb07c_o_d.png

Blooming compensations such as backlight lifting has to operate besides dynamic backlight speed mode which has G-sync involved. Back then these manufacturers hasn't implemented options to have multiple blooming compensations. It could be a matter of compatibility with G-sync or they are just lazy. And it needs specific panels and backlight to do the compensations.

The only panel can do multiple blooming compensations is M320QAN02.6 with original AUO backlight. AFAIK You cannot do the same with 3rd party backlight as AUO has currently blocked the back code. So it is only possible on PA32UCG, X329UCG or PG32UQX, XG321UCG. And it is currently only available on X329UCG from DIY brand IC.

X329UCG is the only monitor that has options of 3 level of blooming compensation to give different lifted backlight brightness from Lite, Standard, Enhanced. Then it has another 3 level of backlight speed modes. So you can use combination of above modes to see SDR/HDR images as you like.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 130021.png

Back