The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

I think you misunderstood my post. I meant that YOUR comments that: "cheap C2 that looks like literal dark shit with far less accuracy across the board. MiniLED has been deliver far superior HDR than any of these shitty OLED for 5 years now lol." was one of the worst takes I have ever seen.

I suppose if your only criteria for judging HDR performance is "how badly does a full screen white image melt my eyeballs?" then OLED is indeed literal dark shit. But otherwise, OLED offers a great HDR experience. Sure, peak full screen brightness is lacking, but there's no bloom either. Both technologies have their ups and downs.
The same old talk about brightness doesn't matter. Brightness is the No.1 factor about color accuracy.

OLED looks like dark shit because it cannot hold brightness. It doesn't have accurate color across the board in the first place, not just white. You think HDR is all about full screen white? Even with several blooms miniLED is far more accurate than these dim OLED.

And you've been wondering why you can only buy refurbished or cut-down version of miniLED to see proper HDR several years later without understanding HDR properly. You should've tried to make HDR to see any of these OLED TVs can stand a chance to show accurate color.

And you've been wondering why you can only buy refurbished or cut-down version of miniLED to see proper HDR several years later without understanding HDR properly. You should've tried to make HDR to see any of these OLED TVs can stand a chance to show accurate color.
What are you even trying to say? Nothing about this makes any sense at all.

Reactions: Xar
like this
This man truly believes 🌞 is everything there is to determine a good display. I bet he didn't even bother consider other factors before spending foolishly on a monitor/television. If it's a 4000-nits TN panel with 1k$ price tag, he'll buy it in a heartbeat.

New firmware for Acer X32 is out.
https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=X32FP&filter=global_download

It brings a lot of important updates.

1) auto HDR now works as expected
2) settings can be changed when Freesync is active
3) settings can be changed when HDR is active

Thanks for that!
Apart from these fixes there is a fix for ADW (whatever that may be) and for Witcher 3 (I did not test it yet).
The best of them are of course the ability to turn off the overdrive (in my opinion it should be off) and autohdr working properly.

Of course it doesn't make sense to you. Dreamers, illusionists and virtual players talk like color is lit by magic.
Color is lit by fucking brightness. With that OLED ABL shit you only seeing far less shades of colors.

I remember why I unwatched this thread before.

Could you all please take the IPS vs OLED flamewar off the update thread.
Unless these virtual players stop spreading misinformation just to bang on what they can only afford. I'm just doing the counterpart job.
Even it's all about budget this thread should've got some useful information about X329UCG 4 months earlier.

Unless these virtual players stop spreading misinformation just to bang on what they can only afford. I'm just doing the counterpart job.
Even it's all about budget this thread should've got some useful information about X329UCG 4 months earlier.

Why would there be any information about a monitor that you can't even buy (unless you live in China). And most people are not going to go the route of importing from TaoBao or something. At least the InnoCN 32M2V was available on Amazon with a full return policy.

Why would there be any information about a monitor that you can't even buy (unless you live in China). And most people are not going to go the route of importing from TaoBao or something. At least the InnoCN 32M2V was available on Amazon with a full return policy.
You can always buy it if you really want to. You can also wait for something similar. But you cannot buy it if there is no information at all.

It's not the best way is to search product determined by regional availability or some news announcement with no indication of the actual technical trend.

When you go for the budget these warranty don't even matter for small DIY brands like InnoCN or IC. You won't have the same quality of user experience of PA32UCG when you pay 1/5 the price but you do get DC dimming unlike cheap PWM.

Is there any trick to upgrading the firmware on this monitor (X32FP)? I've followed the instructions in the SOPs as closely as possible, however, when I plug power back into the monitor it displays "Cable Not Connected" then after a little while it goes into standby mode (solid amber light) and does nothing.

My process is: copy MERGE.bin to FAT32 formatted USB stick. Connect USB stick to left-most USB port on the back of the monitor (i.e. port furthest away from power USB-C port). Remove HDMI cable from monitor (keeping USB-C cable to PC connected to monitor). Remove power cable from the monitor. Wait 5+ seconds then plug power cable back in. I can see my USB stick is powered as it has a light that goes on. I also have the "USB Port Select" setting set to "C-Type".

So far I haven't been able to get either the current firmware (2.00.015) (or the previous firmware [2.00..010]) to apply. Am I doing something wrong?

I appear to be on an earlier firmware version (prior to 2.00.010) as I get the annoying input not supported pop-up when gaming with Freesync enabled (I need to open the monitor OSD then close it to clear the message) and I also can't change picture-related settings in HDR mode.

EDIT:

Leaving the solution to this problem here for anyone that has difficulty in the future.

Firstly, ignore all images provided in earlier SOPs from Acer. Make sure that the only thing connected to your monitor is the USB stick and the power cable.

Secondly, if you have previously used a USB stick as bootable media - it will not work. Download rufus and reformat the USB stick as non-bootable FAT32 before copying across MERGE.bin.

Thirdly, when plugging in the power cable, if you pass through the initial Predator splash screen and it begins searching for display inputs then it has failed to detect the firmware file on the USB stick. If it does work it will pick-up the file immediately after the splash screen is shown.

In my case, after I turned my USB stick into non-bootable (noting a standard Windows reformat won't do this for you so you need a 3rd-party tool) it picked up the firmware file straight away. It did one round of flashing, turned itself off and on again and did a second round of flashing (if the second round appears to be going slowly don't worry, just give it time as the % value jumps in big increments rather than little increments). It then told me to remove and reapply the power cord. Doing this placed it into a loop of different colours being displayed. Pressing the joystick button on the monitor showed the factory details in the top left corner which allowed me to confirm I had firmware 2.00.015 applied. I then turned the monitor off and on (using the top button at the back right) to put the monitor back into normal user mode. Finally, I plugged in my HDMI cable to my PC again.

Finally, monitor settings may be reset after you flash new firmware. You will need to reset your preferences (including things like enabling HDMI 2.1 again if you are using that). At least I needed to change some settings back to my preferred settings.

EDIT 2:

It appears my HDR settings were retained but because AutoHDR now works the monitor was using SDR mode prior to hitting the Windows log-on screen at which time it would switch automatically into HDR mode. I had never configured any of the SDR modes before hence why I thought the settings had gone back to factory defaults.

Last edited:
Is there any trick to upgrading the firmware on this monitor (X32FP)? I've followed the instructions in the SOPs as closely as possible, however, when I plug power back into the monitor it displays "Cable Not Connected" then after a little while it goes into standby mode (solid amber light) and does nothing.

My process is: copy MERGE.bin to FAT32 formatted USB stick. Connect USB stick to left-most USB port on the back of the monitor (i.e. port furthest away from power USB-C port). Remove HDMI cable from monitor. (keeping USB-C cable to PC connected to monitor). Remove power cable from the monitor. Wait 5+ seconds then plug power cable back in. I can see my USB stick is powered as it has a light that goes on. I also have the "USB Port Select" setting set to "C-Type".

So far I haven't been able to get either the current firmware (2.00.015) (or the previous firmware [2.00..010]) to apply. Am I doing something wrong?

I appear to be on an earlier firmware version (prior to 2.00.010) as I get the annoying input not supported pop-up when gaming with Freesync enabled (I need to open the monitor OSD then close it to clear the message) and I also can't change picture-related settings in HDR mode.
I believe you have to set the usb speed to 3.0 (assuming you have a 3.0 stick). I had a similar issue and ended up using an older usb 2.0 stick and then it updated. I no longer have the monitor though (had some back lighting issue so I returned it), so I can't confirm it's the same issue.

I believe you have to set the usb speed to 3.0 (assuming you have a 3.0 stick). I had a similar issue and ended up using an older usb 2.0 stick and then it updated. I no longer have the monitor though (had some back lighting issue so I returned it), so I can't confirm it's the same issue.
I'm a bit bemused if true. Years ago one of the major arguments for keeping a pair of USB2 ports on back panel IO was that it let the UEFI patcher get away with a much simpler driver than would be needed to support 3.0.

Asus ROG Swift PG32UQXR goes on sale - final specifications and features

features a 32-inch 4K (3840 x 2160) Fast IPS display with a Mini LED backlight. Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) backlighting delivers 576 independent LED zones and 1000 nits peak brightness with VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification. Most probably the display panel used on the PG32UQXR is the AUO M320QAN02.8. On this monitor, Quantum Dot technology is also used and delivers 160% of sRGB coverage, 99% Adobe RGB coverage, and 96% DCI-P3 coverage. In addition, each monitor is factory pre-calibrated to Delta E < 2 color difference. The display panel supports 8-bit color bit depth at 160Hz - its native refresh rate. When it drops to 120Hz, it supports 8-bit+FRC.
is AMD FreeSync Premium Pro and VESA AdaptiveSync Display 160Hz certified. It offers two HDMI 2.1 inputs, two DisplayPort 2.1 inputs with Display Stream Compression (DSC), two USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A ports, a USB 2.0 Type-A port, and a headphone jack. The stand offers tilt adjustment from -5 to 20 degrees, +/-25 degrees of swivel, and up to 70 mm o height adjustment, and the monitor is fitted with a 1/4" Tripod Socket. The rear shell of the monitor features the Asus Aura Sync RGB lighting. Among the model-specific technologies are PiP and PbP support, Extreme Low Motion Blur (ELMB), Dynamic Shadow Boost, GamePlus, GameVisual, and Trace Free technology.

i was actually waiting on this but settled for the uqx because its just better without the most updated hdmi and dp, world is not perfect lol
FWIW, you will never notice DSC on display port. HDMI limits its use on consoles, but the UQX is aimed at high end gamers, not budget ones.

DSC means you have a horrible alt tab experience.
That's quite a bit of an exaggeration. The screen blinks for a second when alt-tabbing out of a fullscreen 3D app on DSC displays on current Nvidia drivers. "Horrible".

DSC means you have a horrible alt tab experience.
Seeing as most games run in Fullscreen boarderless, I have had 0 issues with it. TBH, even on my fullscreen exclusive games, I never notice because I rarely alt-tab when gaming anyway.

Nvidia never wanted to pay protection racket for HDMI. DP port is always the pirority for PC monitor with G-sync module. Even with DSC Alt-tab switching is as fast as snapping of fingers unless you don't have G-sync FPGA.

My process is: copy MERGE.bin to FAT32 formatted USB stick. Connect USB stick to left-most USB port on the back of the monitor (i.e. port furthest away from power USB-C port). Remove HDMI cable from monitor (keeping USB-C cable to PC connected to monitor). Remove power cable from the monitor. Wait 5+ seconds then plug power cable back in. I can see my USB stick is powered as it has a light that goes on. I also have the "USB Port Select" setting set to "C-Type".

EDIT:

Leaving the solution to this problem here for anyone that has difficulty in the future.

Firstly, ignore all images provided in earlier SOPs from Acer. Make sure that the only thing connected to your monitor is the USB stick and the power cable.

Secondly, if you have previously used a USB stick as bootable media - it will not work. Download rufus and reformat the USB stick as non-bootable FAT32 before copying across MERGE.bin.

Thirdly, when plugging in the power cable, if you pass through the initial Predator splash screen and it begins searching for display inputs then it has failed to detect the firmware file on the USB stick. If it does work it will pick-up the file immediately after the splash screen is shown.

In my case, after I turned my USB stick into non-bootable (noting a standard Windows reformat won't do this for you so you need a 3rd-party tool) it picked up the firmware file straight away. It did one round of flashing, turned itself off and on again and did a second round of flashing (if the second round appears to be going slowly don't worry, just give it time as the % value jumps in big increments rather than little increments). It then told me to remove and reapply the power cord. Doing this placed it into a loop of different colours being displayed. Pressing the joystick button on the monitor showed the factory details in the top left corner which allowed me to confirm I had firmware 2.00.015 applied. I then turned the monitor off and on (using the top button at the back right) to put the monitor back into normal user mode. Finally, I plugged in my HDMI cable to my PC again.

Finally, monitor settings may be reset after you flash new firmware. You will need to reset your preferences (including things like enabling HDMI 2.1 again if you are using that). At least I needed to change some settings back to my preferred settings.
Thank you that fixed it for me.

After almost four weeks I’ve received my XG321UG finally back from ViewSonic for the firmware update. I can confirm that the OD setting bug is fixed, so the set OD setting is now saved after turning off the monitor while connected to the DisplayPort. As ViewSonic said that besides this fix performance improvements were made in the firmware update I’ve looked for changes in the FALD tuning and did some measurements for peak brightness, contrast, EOTF and color accuracy. I saw no differences in the results. While I can’t be entirely sure it seems to me that the FALD tuning is changed a bit in Mode 1 and/or Mode 2. Very small highlights are a little more dimmed now and slightly less detailed compared to Mode 2 and dark tones look a bit darker. So it looks like that the two modes differ more to each other than before. The halo behavior against lighter backgrounds is still there which can be somewhat distracting in Mode 1. I saw no new or changed settings/options in OSD with the new firmware.

I’ve asked ViewSonic again for a changelog of the new firmware, they try to get it from their technicians. I’m curious, I’ll let you know once I’ve received it.

After almost four weeks I’ve received my XG321UG finally back from ViewSonic for the firmware update. I can confirm that the OD setting bug is fixed, so the set OD setting is now saved after turning off the monitor while connected to the DisplayPort. As ViewSonic said that besides this fix performance improvements were made in the firmware update I’ve looked for changes in the FALD tuning and did some measurements for peak brightness, contrast, EOTF and color accuracy. I saw no differences in the results. While I can’t be entirely sure it seems to me that the FALD tuning is changed a bit in Mode 1 and/or Mode 2. Very small highlights are a little more dimmed now and slightly less detailed compared to Mode 2 and dark tones look a bit darker. So it looks like that the two modes differ more to each other than before. The halo behavior against lighter backgrounds is still there which can be somewhat distracting in Mode 1. I saw no new or changed settings/options in OSD with the new firmware.

I’ve asked ViewSonic again for a changelog of the new firmware, they try to get it from their technicians. I’m curious, I’ll let you know once I’ve received it.
Thanks so much for reporting your findings!

May I ask, how did you contact Viewsonic to have this done? Did you email CR or cal them directly? I have had the XG321UG for more than a year and love it and plan to keep it for a long time, but some minor alterations to the dimming algorithm would be most welcome as I have a backup monitor (my trusty Acer X27) in the wings whilst I wait.

Thanks for that!
Apart from these fixes there is a fix for ADW (whatever that may be) and for Witcher 3 (I did not test it yet).
The best of them are of course the ability to turn off the overdrive (in my opinion it should be off) and autohdr working properly.

This monitor is amazing for my tastes.
Very solid HDR performance with the fastest 4k panel on the market. I sincerely adore how fast it is even without overdrive.

This monitor is amazing for my tastes.
Very solid HDR performance with the fastest 4k panel on the market. I sincerely adore how fast it is even without overdrive.

Any thoughts about the pros/cons of the Acer X32FP vs the Samsung Neo G8? I thought the Neo G8 is currently the fastest 4K monitor panel with solid HDR.

The fastest panel is most likely an OLED but probably the highest refresh rate.
"Most likely" is more like an imagination. It's the combination of both the response time and the refresh rate. 240Hz 1ms VA panel like NEO G8 has BET of 4.16ms which is clearer than the 144Hz 0.3ms OLED with BET of 5.7ms.

Any thoughts about the pros/cons of the Acer X32FP vs the Samsung Neo G8? I thought the Neo G8 is currently the fastest 4K monitor panel with solid HDR.
HDR on NEO G8 is not solid. It's VA in the first place so it has less color. It have more contrast but the brightness isn't accurate with aggressive ABL dimmer than HDR1000. So the color is double off with less coverage and less brightness.

The easiest way to find out is just enabling HDR to look at sRGB content. When HDR is enabled, windows has non-HDR content remapped to sRGB. On a proper HDR monitor, these remapped non-HDR pictures like desktop look exactly the same when the monitor has HDR off with sRGB color space. But on NEO G8 they look differently washed out.

X32FP has better HDR with more coverage and sustained brightness. But just like the upcoming PG32UQXR they both need G-sync FPGA to fine control the backlight.

The X32FP may have better HDR than the Neo G8, but worse motion clarity. I agree that HDR on the G8 is not the best, but it's still pretty good. In terms of blooming, it's actually quite a bit better than the PG32UQX.

Been waiting for this, thanks for the followup.

On one hand, I'm disappointed that there isn't a significant improvement in the FALD performance in terms of blooming. But on the other hand, I'm relieved that I don't feel the need to ship my monitor off for a month.

When you said the halo behavior against lighter backgrounds is still there, did you mean DARK backgrounds? Because that's by far the worst aspect of this monitor. The FALD bloom against dark backgrounds is abysmal. A star field in a dark night sky is the obvious worst example of this, but even the outline around my characters arm in Dead Island 2 glows like a cartoon animation of a nuclear reactor when in a dark environment. It's REALLY bad. Why these companies continue to use IPS panels for high end displays blows my mind.

Thanks so much for reporting your findings!

May I ask, how did you contact Viewsonic to have this done? Did you email CR or cal them directly? I have had the XG321UG for more than a year and love it and plan to keep it for a long time, but some minor alterations to the dimming algorithm would be most welcome as I have a backup monitor (my trusty Acer X27) in the wings whilst I wait.
I've contacted them via https://www.viewsonic.com/nl/contact/ and described the issue I was having. I think you could just ask them to let the firmware be updated as you heard that the OD bug is fixed in the new version.
To be clear: the process did take so long because they discovered that the special adapter they're using for updating this monitor (and probably every monitor with a G-Sync module) was broken. So they had to order a new one. I think it wil normally take no more than two weeks.

On one hand, I'm disappointed that there isn't a significant improvement in the FALD performance in terms of blooming. But on the other hand, I'm relieved that I don't feel the need to ship my monitor off for a month.

When you said the halo behavior against lighter backgrounds is still there, did you mean DARK backgrounds? Because that's by far the worst aspect of this monitor. The FALD bloom against dark backgrounds is abysmal. A star field in a dark night sky is the obvious worst example of this, but even the outline around my characters arm in Dead Island 2 glows like a cartoon animation of a nuclear reactor when in a dark environment. It's REALLY bad. Why these companies continue to use IPS panels for high end displays blows my mind.
Haha, nice description about the halo in Dead Islands 2 🙂
And to reply to your question: no, not against dark backgrounds, but against midtone and lighter backgrounds. Here's an example of it. Do note that this video was made before the firmware update, however this kind of haloing is still there.

Because not all IPS panels bloom like that. It all depends on the FALD algorithm. If you are really bothered by blooming then going with the Viewsonic was not a good choice.

1687587214966.png

Yes these two monitors don't even have the same zone count (576 vs 384), but come on the Cooler Master doesn't even have twice the number of zones and it still mitigates blooming that much better over the Acer.

Because not all IPS panels bloom like that. It all depends on the FALD algorithm. If you are really bothered by blooming then going with the Viewsonic was not a good choice.

View attachment 579000

Yes these two monitors don't even have the same zone count (576 vs 384), but come on the Cooler Master doesn't even have twice the number of zones and it still mitigates blooming that much better over the Acer.
I don't think that you can compare these pictures with each other. It is even mentioned in the Rtings review of the X32 FP that this monitor blooms less than the GP27U, especially from the sides as the Acer uses a low glow panel while the Cooler Master has the typically IPS glow.

I don't think that you can compare these pictures with each other. It is even mentioned in the Rtings review of the X32 FP that this monitor blooms less than the GP27U, especially from the sides as the Acer uses a low glow panel while the Cooler Master has the typically IPS glow.

This is NOT the Acer X32, it's the X27 which has a crazy amount of blooming to show how major differences in FALD tuning greatly affect the result.

The Viewsonic (or Asus equivalent) was the only choice. The X32 FP is riddled with issues, and the unpurchasable Innocn 32M2V likely isn't any better. No hardware G-Sync on an LCD = GTFO. If I wanted a rinky dink 27" height screen, I would have stuck with my PG35VQ or bought an AW3423DW and continued living with the downsides of ultrawide. 27" is trash outside of e-sports. I'll settle for blooming over a tiny ass screen any day of the week.

But even ignoring bloom, IPS is absolute shite. There's a reason that all high end LCD TVs are VA panels.

The X32FP may have better HDR than the Neo G8, but worse motion clarity. I agree that HDR on the G8 is not the best, but it's still pretty good. In terms of blooming, it's actually quite a bit better than the PG32UQX.
If I'm not mistaken you've got both the PG32UQX and XG321UG, correct? What do you think about haloing/blooming between the Asus and the ViewSonic, do you see differences and which one do you find better?

Back