Would you ever go back to LCD after experiencing OLED?

On my 3rd 55" LG oled over the last 7-8 years. Its starting to go. Got a decent burn in line across the bottom of screen and its starting dim randomly. I seem to get about 2 to 2.5 yrs out of each before something starts to go. I'm pretty rough on mine though. Pixel refresh now and then but otherwise I leave them on static images for long periods. Also got this 3rd one free on warranty so no real complaints. Thinking I might go with a Hisense 55" Class U8 Series Mini-LED QLED this time around as a cheaper temp option until something really nice comes out, otherwise will bite bullet and go Samsung S90C oled with a really nice long warranty.

I game nearfield on a 48” LG C2 and have an 83” SONY 83A90J for the main HT. Not going back.

It took OLED tech many years to get “right” - was too dim, black crush and shadow detail sucked, ABL was an real issue, early burn-in was a serious issue, motion handling was a serious issue, and no “big” sets were even available.

All those things really got pretty much fixed around 2020/2021 with the LG C1 and SONY 83A90J and thats when I jumped. It’s been awesome, and it’s hard to imagine a better display tech.

Looking forward to the coming OLED iPad Pros here soon. Been waiting a long time. This mini-LED Pro Display blows chunks in the dark. Bloomy Bloomerson.

On my 3rd 55" LG oled over the last 7-8 years. Its starting to go. Got a decent burn in line across the bottom of screen and its starting dim randomly. I seem to get about 2 to 2.5 yrs out of each before something starts to go. I'm pretty rough on mine though. Pixel refresh now and then but otherwise I leave them on static images for long periods. Also got this 3rd one free on warranty so no real complaints. Thinking I might go with a Hisense 55" Class U8 Series Mini-LED QLED this time around as a cheaper temp option until something really nice comes out, otherwise will bite bullet and go Samsung S90C oled with a really nice long warranty.
Going on 4 years and 10k hours on my 65 c9 with zero issues. Only reason I am think to upgrade is cause I want a 77".

Reactions: elvn
like this
Going on 4 years and 10k hours on my 65 c9 with zero issues. Only reason I am think to upgrade is cause I want a 77".
You use that as your everyday desktop monitor? I sit 2&1/2" back at my desktop for 12-18 hrs a day. I might have to go back another ft for a 77" heh.

I have secondary VA panel I use in portrait and it just gets destroyed by OLED. No way to go back now
this. i've been pretty happy with my samsung g7 , but after seeing a friend's oled, i'm just waiting for the next gen oleds coming this year.

I sit 2&1/2" back at my desktop for 12-18 hrs a day.
I am seriously impressed at your ability to focus that close. :D You must be extremely near-sighted? I need like -6 diopter glasses and I still need to sit back at least 4"! ;)

I am seriously impressed at your ability to focus that close. :D You must be extremely near-sighted? I need like -6 diopter glasses and I still need to sit back at least 4"! ;)
I am a metric person but isn't that something like 7 cm? :D Guessing it was supposed to be feet.

It's definitely difficult to go back to an LCD after trying one out, but honestly yeah I would. There are longevity issues and also text display issues. And more than anything, just doesn't look like any OLED out there really ticks all my boxes anyway.

Also this video definitely gave me some pause:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7V_OOu6B8

Granted I keep most of my displays at 25%-50% brightness, but the fact that the burn in can get that bad at any point during the display's life cycle kind of makes it much less of an investment. I suppose one can view it like upgrading the GPU regularly. It's still going to last a while, but on the other hand I have LCD monitors from probably 20 years ago that still work and don't have burn-in. I've had a plasma before, so I know what it's like to have a display that you have to handle with baby gloves, and it's kind of annoying.

I have to admit though, that 45" 3440x1440 OLED ultrawide that I tried was absolutely amazing for immersion, though.

How much CNN do you watch? lol

Nobody who runs at a reasonable brightness with varied content needs to worry about burn in

No. Can't unsee the horrid backlight bleed that radiates from LCD screens after experiencing OLED. I couldn't even tolerate my VA panel as a side screen anymore. Went with a Mini LED because it's far less distracting sitting next to the OLED.

I gave my 2022 Samsung S95B to my brother and his wife for Christmas. They're not going back to LCD, either! :)

I have LG B2 in my bedroom (and C2 as my gaming monitor) and Samsung QN85 in my living room. I think all 3 have fantastic picture and blacks and pretty much see no difference.
Although truth be told I'm annoyed by LG dimming the screen on my gaming monitor. I can totally see myself using Samsung TVs instead of OLEDs.

No way!.

OLED is a game changer, it's a massive improvement in gaming with HDR. And the punchy deep colors just look great, and the inky jet black, blacks with ZERO light bleed are the way monitors should be.

Reactions: Xar
like this
I had a OLED earlier this year, LG 240Hz 1440P, returned it because I couldn't get used to 1440P. Waiting for the 32" 4K 240hz RGB screens in 2025.

I had a OLED earlier this year, LG 240Hz 1440P, returned it because I couldn't get used to 1440P. Waiting for the 32" 4K 240hz RGB screens in 2025.

The RGB OLEDs are not guaranteed to happen, they are just in some consideration phase. Seeing as how LG has been so reliant on the white subpixel to boost brightness for so long I really don't see them ditching it and going RGB only but hey I could be wrong.

The RGB OLEDs are not guaranteed to happen, they are just in some consideration phase. Seeing as how LG has been so reliant on the white subpixel to boost brightness for so long I really don't see them ditching it and going RGB only but hey I could be wrong.
Also, the white subpixel has helped shoulder some of the burn-in prevention on these panels. They're very robust for OLED and I think the white subpixel is to thank on this one.

I ruined my first and only OLED (55" LG) about 3 years ago. Since then, I've stayed with LED TVs for my monitor. I'm very happy with my current MiniLED Samsung TV.

Also, the white subpixel has helped shoulder some of the burn-in prevention on these panels. They're very robust for OLED and I think the white subpixel is to thank on this one.
Part of me still wishes it was RGB, but I did like hearing that the white pixel at least was likely making the panels more robust.

As to LCD versus OLED, I thought LCD was fine in the office. Overhead lighting and such didn't really present ideal monitor conditions, where other tech could shine. Current mix at home is CRT, DLP, and OLED.

Have my OLED TV a few years now and it's still so great. People always ask me if I just got the TV as the picture is very good. I use movie mode for everything to not burn my corneas and love how clean the picture is.

Doh, yeah I use to be that near sighted thankfully lasik fixed it. 2'5" but I lean back most of the time so more like 3'. Screen is getting worse and worse by the day. I run windows in HDR and constantly atl tab between utube and games and sites and the color will start to fade on one thing and go super warm on another then slowly go back to normal. Maybe its because I use mine for 75% PC stuff and watch mostly streamed tv\movies that aren't dolby or super high quality that I don't feel the same big gap between OLED and QLED.

Yes and I already ha e with a mini led ba klit display. I prefer proper rgb sibpixel layout.

I am never going back.

20231222_220045.jpg
LG.jpg

How does it feel with the monitor having lower PPI?
honestly, I do not even notice. I have a keyboard tray custom mounted at the V in my L shaped desk. My eye are 63 years old and my head is positioned roughly 3 feet away. Its perfect. Not the best pic but you get the distance idea.

20240111_202924.jpg

Attachments

• 20240111_202507.jpg
    20240111_202507.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 0
honestly, I do not even notice. I have a keyboard tray custom mounted at the V in my L shaped desk. My eye are 63 years old and my head is positioned roughly 3 feet away. Its perfect. Not the best pic but you get the distance idea.

View attachment 626551

I just bought this monitor a week ago for $1070 and so far, I love it. I do notice the lower PPI somewhat but, when I ran Doom 2016 on it, I was literally blown away, because the 800r curve makes all the difference in the world. Perhaps if I had bought the LG Flex over the LG C2 42 inch, I would have kept that instead. I returned the MiniLED display, since it was a VA panel, and OLED is the way to go, at least for me.

How does it feel with the monitor having lower PPI?
Awesome. The lower PPI is a non issue and overhyped. I love this thing. Its not like I work with my face 8 inches from the screen. The PPI thing is all on paper. Reality is completely different. I am coming from an Alienware IPS 3440 x 1600 with a much tighter PPI and I still prefer this hands down. I have since changed desks to a Magnus Pro XL and the distance to my screen is actually closer now and its just fine. Keep in mind that my eyes are 63 years old. You mileage may vary. Wide angle shot below. Only way to get this monstrosity in the shot. I have since added and subtracted some things and buried the laptop dock in the cable management tray behind the G45.
20240330_234632.jpg

Last edited:
Yes absolutely. Got a Samsung mini led as a monitor and QD Oled TV and they trade blows regarding image quality. Add to that no burn in worries and the mini led wins as my choice for a monitor.

LG Oleds are out of the question since they are way too dim with no colour volume.

LCD technology will keep improving while OLEDs will aways be constrained by their limitations. I see OLEDs as a temporary stop-gap technology that will be abandoned in the future similarly to Plasma.

Last edited:
Yes absolutely. Got a Samsung mini led as a monitor and QD Oled TV and they trade blows regarding image quality. Add to that no burn in worries and the mini led wins as my choice for a monitor.

LG Oleds are out of the question since they are way too dim with no colour volume.

LCD technology will keep improving while OLEDs will aways be constrained by their limitations. I see OLEDs as a temporary stop-gap technology that will be abandoned in the future similarly to Plasma.
Lol. Lmao.

Literally read an article like 3 days ago that they may have cracked the burn in problem entirely with a new process, which will also let them run higher brightness. So... Very wrong.

Lol. Lmao.

Literally read an article like 3 days ago that they may have cracked the burn in problem entirely with a new process, which will also let them run higher brightness. So... Very wrong.
Future, maybe. But currently I agree with him 100%. I've tried a number of the Oleds drooled upon here. Every single one disappointed me. I know we are a minority, but oled is too dim for my liking and the ABL present in alot of them annoyed me to no end. I will stick with mini led.

Last edited:
2000 hours in with a 42 C2 as a daily driver for work. No regrets, I haven't tried a mini LED but might get one as a secondary.

2000 hours in with a 42 C2 as a daily driver for work. No regrets, I haven't tried a mini LED but might get one as a secondary.
That's 250 days of 8 hour usage, hardly an accomplishment. I got a top of the line LCD monitor from 2008 that is still going strong as my secondary.

When you own an OLED you know it's on borrowed time which is a feeling hard to shake of.

That's 250 days of 8 hour usage, hardly an accomplishment. I got a top of the line LCD monitor from 2008 that is still going strong as my secondary.

When you own an OLED you know it's on borrowed time which is a feeling hard to shake of.
Even it it is on "borrowed" time it is worth it for me. The infinite black levels was the game changer for me. The IPS and VA panels I have are still working fine and will continue to do so as secondary screens.

Even it it is on "borrowed" time it is worth it for me. The infinite black levels was the game changer for me. The IPS and VA panels I have are still working fine and will continue to do so as secondary screens.
Exactly. Paying a couple thousand every 4 years or so (cheaper if you wait on sales / buy used with low hours as I have) is more than worth it to me.

I have zero burn in issues so far. I have all icons set to hide and use my stream deck to pop my most used apps or web site. I turn off the monitor when I am not using it and leverage all of its processes to prevent burn in. When set to Vivid or FPS, its more than bright enough although I have the advantage of a dimly lit work station area. I purchased an extended warranty so I have any issues, I get a new one.

Last year I bought a brand new LG OLED used it for 48 hours and couldn't stand it. It was so weak and dull and dim it honestly looked like sh!t! I was wondering what all the hype was about I turned off all the lights and maxed out everything and laughed 😂 boxed the pile of sh!t up and literally chucked at the best buy employee and said get that garbage outta here 🗑️ lmao

Brought home a QN90B mini led and realized what I had been missing my whole life lol NEVER buy into the OLED hype bullshit!t. Accuracy and black levels and all that crap is nonsense mini led is close enough in all aspects it's mostly indiscernible whoever makes bold claims is lying to themselves trying to flex their e peen it's just futile.

I play competitive shooters at 600fps in 4k and it looks stunning all day all night. I don't need to hide jack sh!t all task bars all windows all everything MAXED out brightness 🔆 my wife loves it also the IMPACT of the bright colors are what matters splitting hairs is meaningless you need to lie to yourself so go ahead lol

I don't need to hide in a dark cave my whole life to justify my purchase of a weak defenseless OLED burning itself to death when it cannot even be seen on max brightness in a living room with a window lol.

Did I mention it will NEVER burn in and I can use it however the fawk I want all day without a care it it looks 😍 amazing

Mini led is so powerful and beautiful you all can keep your Oleds idgaf I'll take a Samsung mini led any day just like I'm going to get the QN900D 8K 240Hz when the price drops in a year or two and will be as close to endgame as can be.

Can someone explain to me how the OLED screen on the iPhone 14 Pro and 15 Pro gets so bright compared to OLED monitors and TVs? It has a peak brightness of 1600 nits in HDR and 2000 nits outdoors.

Back