The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

...So if you plan on playing HD-DVD's, get the 8400GS and take out the tv card (if you have the 3120n)
\

Will you switch to a USB/external TV tuner or just go without? I'm not watching HD/DVDs, but would like the extra horsepower of an 8400gs (is yours fan or passive cooled?)

its fanless, so it has the heatsink on it.
I will probably go with an external tv tuner down the line unless I can find a stronger power supply. I have no rush for it right now since I am finishing graduate school now and will end up moving to somewhere and getting digital cable; so no need for an HD tuner right now.

Ill have to open it up this weekend or something and check out the stats of the power supply.

All I know, is the GeForce 8400GS solved all of my problems for now :)

Do you have the xbox 360 HD-DVD drive installed inside your computer or are you using a USB connection?

bummer. i do want to use the TV tuner on my s3120n as my main source of television and use an OTA antenna for HDTV. i also have an Xbox360 HD DVD drive that i'd like to use.

Morphx2, so are you using the VGA output to your television?

I got the MSI 8500GT card delivered today. The photos on newegg's site for the new one showed several cables (including the cable necessary to get audio via HDMI working), but the open-box card I bought came with absolutely nothing but the card. I'm thinking of just returning the card altogether, as I only saved about $17 off the price of a new card, and I suspect I'll end up paying almost that much to get the cable shipped to me from MSI. Plus, I'm just not sure if I really want/need the card anyway. It seems like the main reason I'd want this card is for Blu-ray / HD DVD, and that adds another $300 (for an LG combo drive), potentially more added cost for PowerDVD (the OEM version that comes with the LG drive apparently doesn't handle some SPDIF streams), added cost for AnyDVD to rip the movies, and added effort to rip them (some of which, due to copy protection, may not be rippable yet).

I really like the convenience of ripping my standard-def DVDs to my hard drive and keeping them as-is (no downconversion effort, time, or quality loss). And if/when I decide to get a combo drive (when 1-click high-def conversion software is ready for prime-time), I won't need the added horsepower that the 8500GT offers. I've had good results playing 1080p WMV-HD files with the on-board 6150LE graphics chipset.

My main dilemma, though, is that I've got one plasma TV without a VGA input, which means that I need HDMI in order to deliver a signal to it. So I've got a couple of options: Keep the card just to get HDMI, get an XBox 360 or other extender, or buy something like the Medion 8825 (a large behemoth sold at Aldi grocery store for $500) which has on-board HDMI.

There's a couple of media extenders (not Microsoft approved ones) close to coming out, such as the PopcornHour and Sling's upcoming box, and maybe Apple will see the error of their ways and allow the AppleTV to support VOB files, so I'm also thinking about sitting tight for a bit to see what comes out in the next month.

I was trying to find out some more information on the Hematite-XL motherboard that is included in our s3020n...

Found this link
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic319094.html

These guys say the supposed limit of the Hematite motherboard is a 35 watt CPU. ???? I've got a 65 watt X2 5200+ in mine now - but maybe that explains why I get almost an instant lockup (with my other upgrades I've talked about) if I run it at full speed- -- because of all the constant power and Mhz throttling the chipset is doing (it typically runs at 1GHZ)

I've ordered a BE-2400 (45 watt chip) equavalent to a X2-4400+ I'll let you guys know how everything pans out. The BE-2400 should come tomorrow.

So I'd like to install that 8500GT card just to check it out, but I'm not sure of the proper steps I'm supposed to take. I've got a modem card in the PCI slot that I plan to remove (to give extra space for the 8500GT's heatsink). Am I supposed to uninstall the modem card drivers before I physically remove the modem card? More importantly, am I supposed to uninstall my current video drivers? Is the fact that my current video (6150LE) is on-board and isn't actually being "removed" factor into this? In other words, should I leave things as-is and just pop in the new 8500GT graphics card? Should I even be able to use both the on-board graphics (driving the VGA output) and the 8500GT's HDMI output simultaneously without taking a performance hit?

You cannot use both onboard graphics and a video card at the same time. I don't think I've ever seen a motherboard that supports that. You also don't need to uninstall the onboard graphics drivers before installing the new card. If something goes wrong with the new card, keeping the old drivers will make it easier to revert to the onboard graphics. It won't get in the way. To install a graphics card, enter bios and change the settings from using onboard graphics to PCI-x graphics. I'm not sure the exact wording, but I think you get the idea. There aren't many options in the bois of these computers. Next, power off the computer and install the card. Plug in your monitor into the new card and turn on the computer. Everything should work fine. You can then install the drivers to your graphics card once Vista loads up. You can uninstall the drivers for the modem either before or after you take out the card. It doesn't really matter imo.

I'm sure there's a much more detailed guide available on hp.com.

You cannot use both onboard graphics and a video card at the same time. I don't think I've ever seen a motherboard that supports that. You also don't need to uninstall the onboard graphics drivers before installing the new card. If something goes wrong with the new card, keeping the old drivers will make it easier to revert to the onboard graphics. It won't get in the way. To install a graphics card, enter bios and change the settings from using onboard graphics to PCI-x graphics. I'm not sure the exact wording, but I think you get the idea. There aren't many options in the bois of these computers. Next, power off the computer and install the card. Plug in your monitor into the new card and turn on the computer. Everything should work fine. You can then install the drivers to your graphics card once Vista loads up. You can uninstall the drivers for the modem either before or after you take out the card. It doesn't really matter imo.

I'm sure there's a much more detailed guide available on hp.com.

that pretty much sums it up...you don't even have to uninstall the modem drivers - not going to hurt a thing to have them remain on your system.

Have the newest Nvidia drivers downloaded and ready to install because your 8500GT will be in compatibility mode until you update your drivers. On the AMD setups there is no hard jumper to switch(not sure about intel slimlines) --- just change the BIOS option from Onboard to PCI-E

Jeremy's right on the fact you can't use onboard and the 8500gt....Just one or the other.

Thanks guys. Another question: The driver download from NVIDIA is the same for the 6150LE and the 8500GT (ForceWare v163.169). So, after making the BIOS change, should simply installing the new card be enough, or will I need to uninstall/reinstall the drivers (or some other NVIDIA setup package) in order for any 8500GT-specific features to become availablle in the NVIDIA configuration dialogs?

on my s3020n, the drivers didn't recognize the 8400gt.

I would install the newest drivers regardless - most times these PCs won't ship with the newest driver revision anyway. For Nvidia forceware drivers you need not uninstall the original drivers - just install the newest over the top.

Do you have the xbox 360 HD-DVD drive installed inside your computer or are you using a USB connection?

I WISH I could have it inside the computer...but it is real hard and too troublesome to figure out. I just have it connected via usb. Nothing fancy but works fine :D

bummer. i do want to use the TV tuner on my s3120n as my main source of television and use an OTA antenna for HDTV. i also have an Xbox360 HD DVD drive that i'd like to use.

Morphx2, so are you using the VGA output to your television?

I am using the VGA to my projector. Works like a charm and beautiful! I realized my 360 got a bad graphic card in it or something because recently it has been showing a yellow tint on everything. I am so happy I have an HTPC now :)

I wish I could use the tv tuner too, anyone know if it does QAM by the way; the one that comes with the 3120n

I wish I could use the tv tuner too, anyone know if it does QAM by the way; the one that comes with the 3120n

I have never seen a reference to it being able to do QAM, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the confirmation that linking to a HD monitor by VGA is ok. I guess I was a DVI/HDMI snob and maybe VGA is all I need. No need to upgrade that video card now!

I installed the 8500GT this evening. Getting it in there was a pain. There are some cables running alongside the DVD drive that end up getting smooshed between the card and the drive. The PCI Express slot has a black tab that you seem to have to pull/push when inserting (or removing) the card. I've never played with PCI Express slots, so this was new to me. I tried inserting it *before* changing the BIOS setting not to use the on-board graphics and I'm not sure if that caused me trouble or what, but I couldn't get a video signal at all. Then, I swapped back to the on-board VGA output and still couldn't get a signal. So then I removed the card (which ended up being difficult due to that black tab I referred to - it's especially hard to get to once the card is in there). Eventually I got it out and restarted the computer with no card and the VGA cable plugged in and I was able to get into the BIOS.

Once that was set, I shut down again, plugged the card in again, and booted up fine with the DVI cable to my LCD monitor. The heatsink gets hot within just a couple of minutes. Fortunately, the case has numerous holes right above the slot ("above" when you have the case laying down flat so that the DVD drive slides open like a normal DVD player would).

I started up Vista Media Center and it seemed to work fine. I also played an MKV file (a standard-def DVD I ripped/converted) and that played fine, too. But it still took the same 45 seconds to start playing that it did when I was using the on-board graphics. I suspect that the card would play back HDTV, Blu-ray, or HD DVD better than the on-board graphics, but I don't have any of that to test out.

Right now I just have my computer left on in the office doing nothing. I want to check in on it later to see how hot it is. Then, I'm going to move it to the bedroom and try out the HDMI connection. Because the card didn't come with the necessary cables, I won't be able to get audio over HDMI. I'll post back as to how well it's all working for those of you who might want/need an 8500GT.

At this point, I'm still on the fence whether or not to keep it. I don't much like the idea of paying $66 for a heater inside my case just to get HDMI. The heat is especially worrisome, as I worry that the heat will cause other components to fail sooner than they otherwise would (or the computer to simply be less stable), but hopefully I'm worrying over nothing.

As I've probably mentioned previously, another option for me is to get an XBox 360 (even just a Core model) to get HDMI, but that would mean more noise and less flexibility.

FYI...for those that may not have heard, there's a deal on the Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player starting tomorrow at Walmart. $99. Over at the AVS forums I asked Amir (a Microsoft insider) whether the HD DVD players could theoretically be used as Windows Media Center Extenders if they were given a firmware update and he said, "Yes." When I asked if there was any actual discussion between Microsoft and Toshiba about this idea, he basically said "No comment." What a great idea this would be (a silent, inexpensive Windows Media Center Extender that can also play HD DVD's), but I'm not holding my breath.

So you didn't have to install any additional drivers to the already installed 163 ones for your onboard 6150?
Thanks guys. Another question: The driver download from NVIDIA is the same for the 6150LE and the 8500GT (ForceWare v163.169). So, after making the BIOS change, should simply installing the new card be enough, or will I need to uninstall/reinstall the drivers (or some other NVIDIA setup package) in order for any 8500GT-specific features to become availablle in the NVIDIA configuration dialogs?

No, I didn't seem to *need* to. Whether or not I *should*, I'm not sure. I got a pop-up message when Vista first loaded indicating that I should update my drivers (or some such thing), but I basically ignored the message and went along my way. As I mentioned, previously, I already had the latest NVIDIA drivers which, according to the downloaded file I got, was the same exact download for both the 6150LE and 8500GT. But would reinstalling the drivers cause Vista to sync something up to the 8500GT and/or enable added features? I don't know. I do know that I went into the display settings dialog and saw mention of the DVI connection, so it was definitely showing some different settings than when I had previously booted up with the on-board graphics.

BAD NEWS

I got my BE-2400 AMD processor in today (45 watt ~ = to AMD X2 4400+)

I put it in and took out my 65 watt AMD X2 5200+

It won't go past post - I get an "incompatible CPU" message.

Shucks......

I didn't see a BIOS update for the s3020n motherboard....

Advice to the wise - when you get this system don't upgrade the processor. I'm in limbo now. I sold my stock x2 3800+ and bought the x2 5200+ which requires too much power from the slimline when coupled with my 2gb of ram and 8400gs upgrade. The newest 45 watt processors are incompatible and so....... :mad:

I think this is one of those systems that you should just keep stock or lightly upgrade and don't press to the limits.

Sadly I find this out after spending quite a bit of money trying :)

Anyway - thought I'd pass it on.

On the heels of Archaea's bad news, I wanted to post a quick update with a bit of good news. After installing the 8500GT, I put the cover back on and let it sit for a while (flat with many ventilation holes just above the video card). It wasn't doing anything (just sitting there with the Windows Vista desktop), so take it for what it's worth, but the top of the case above the video card felt warm, but not excessively hot by any stretch. I should probably start up a movie (ideally something that will push the graphics card a bit, like a WMV or MKV file), and let that run for a while, and then see how hot things are. But based on this early test, things look promising.

what's the max resolution you guys are getting from the onboard graphics? i can only set at ~1300x700

hmmmm....that's weird. i've got my s3120n hooked up to a Westinghouse 37W3 that should be able to handle 1920 x 1080.....but i don't see that resolution on my PC (VGA).

Just had a conversation with the HP online chat reps about the failure of the BE-2400 to be recognized

Looks like I may be able to chase down a new BIOS revision from ASUS...

Christian S: Welcome to HP Total Care for Desktop Support.
My name is Christian.How may I assist you today?
Christian S: Hello Jonathan.
Jonathan VonEngeln: I have an HP slimline s3020n
Jonathan VonEngeln: I recently purchased a AMD BE-2400 Processor
Jonathan VonEngeln: tried to install it tonight to replace the x2 3800+
Jonathan VonEngeln: i'm a PC tech by occupation
Jonathan VonEngeln: FYI
Jonathan VonEngeln: anyway
Jonathan VonEngeln: i'm getting a CPU not recognized error
Jonathan VonEngeln: the BE-2400 is a 45 watt CPU that AMD makes for SFF systems
Christian S: Kindly give me five minutes while I go through the product specifications of the PC.
Jonathan VonEngeln: do you know if a BIOS update will be out for the s3020n that will allow for the BE series processors to work?
Christian S: Thank you for the time.
Jonathan VonEngeln: no prob
Christian S: Jonathan, A BIOS update will not resolve the issue.
Jonathan VonEngeln: shucks
Christian S: The PC will support only the possible upgrades below.

Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology (socket AM2)
Athlon 64 (socket AM2)
Sempron (socket AM2)
Jonathan VonEngeln: The BE-2400 Brisbane is the same AM2 socket(At the time that documentation was written there would be no such thing as the BE series processors) but I guess there's no intent to support it then going forward? Does Asus offer BIOS revisions seperately from HP since they actually make the motherboard?
Jonathan VonEngeln: here is a link to the processor - FYI
Jonathan VonEngeln: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103204
Christian S: The BIOS updates are available at ASUS but HP does not recommend installing those updates.
Jonathan VonEngeln: okay thanks for your help
Christian S: Do you require anymore info from me
Jonathan VonEngeln: i think you've been as helpful as possible
Jonathan VonEngeln: thank you
Christian S: Thank you for contacting HP Total Care Real-Time chat support. If you need further assistance, please contact us again at:
http://www.hp.com/support/chat
Chat support is available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
You may receive an e-mail survey regarding your chat support experience. We would appreciate your feedback.
For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at:
http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Bye and have a great time ahead.

Sorry for those of you who may not be interested, but I thought I'd pop back in with another update. I had a DVD rip (VOB files) playing for an hour and checked in on the Slimline. I thought the case (above the card) felt a bit warm earlier, but now I'm thinking that I may have been overreacting. I'd actually say that the case felt nice and cool. Sure, it was a little warm above the card, but I mean *warm* not hot. And if I moved my hand to the right a bit, the top of the case actually felt cool, so the card did not seem to be creating much, if any, heat within the case itself. I also noticed (for the first time, perhaps) that there were a lot of holes in the left side of the case (for those of you who keep your case upright like a mini-tower, this would be the bottom of your case). When kept on its side, like I've now got mine, this means that the PCI Express slot is pretty much surrounded by lots of ventilation holes in the case. I strongly recommend that anyone concerned about keeping the case cool keep this PC flat as that should position the many little ventilation holes in their optimum positions (remember, heat *rises*). I'm anal-retentive, so I'm also thinking about adding some feet underneath the case so as to even give it a bit of breathing room on the underside.

I have to say that at this point I'm thinking more positively about the idea of keeping this card. What I haven't done yet, though, is try out the HDMI output. That'll be next and I'll post back (hopefully just one more time on this subject) to let you all know how that goes.

First post here. Great thread.

I picked up an s3220n based on what I read here and elsewhere and so far I am very pleased. Thinking about upgrading the video card for rFactor, and have a couple questions if anyone is so inclined to provide feedback.

For ScottR and others with the 8500GT, how would you describe your performance increase? Worth it? I'm looking at this card and the 8600GT. Any thoughts on if it will fit (I plan to remove the modem and TV tuner card)? Most importantly, I don't want to add any noise to my system.

Anyway, let's keep this great thread going.

Cheers :)

We got several different topics going on here now - but that's cool!

I put the 5200+ back in my s3020n.

I took the 8400gs out and went back to the 6150 onboard.

So now I've got the 5200+ 65 watt processor and the 2gb of RAM upgrade.

I put everything on max performance in the power settings (which locks up the machine in about 2 minutes with the 8400GS additionally plugged in)

Been going strong for a while now. This proves that the 160 watt stock PSU is only good for any two upgrades when running at full performance power settings.

Choose two!
Processor (65 watt)
Video Card (40 watt or below)
2GB PC6400 RAM

But not three........

Just got into another Chat with an HP rep. This time trying to get some info on upgrading our crippled 160 watt PSU. The tech said it was possible to upgrade to 180watt PSU, but said I did NOT want to go over a 200 watt PSU?

Nicholas C: Welcome to HP Total Care for Desktops.
My name is Nicholas. How may I assist you today?
Nicholas C: Hello Jonathan
Jonathan VonEngeln: I have an hp slimline s3020n...I was asking earlier today to a tech named Christian about the BE-2400 processor compatibility...I was told no....Now I"m curious about upgrading the PSU from the 160 watt stock PSU to the 180 watt intel slimline PSU??? Is that possible? I've got a X2 5200+ chip that works great in my slimine, but when I'm endoding video or running the processor at full spec it'll lock up due to not enough power....That's the reason I bought the BE-2400(45 watt AMD processor)
Jonathan VonEngeln: I'm a PC tech by trade and so have a working knowledge of hardware. I've upgraded the RAM to 2GB of PC6400.
Nicholas C: I will check the specifications of the system and check if the Power supply upgrade is possible. Please give me 5 minutes
Jonathan VonEngeln: I've upgraded the Video card to an 8400GS (40 watt card)
Jonathan VonEngeln: and upgraded the processor to the x2 5200+
Jonathan VonEngeln: everything works like a champ most of the time
Jonathan VonEngeln: even gaming
Jonathan VonEngeln: just when I'm really doing intense CPU work
Jonathan VonEngeln: like video encoding
Jonathan VonEngeln: i'll get a lockup
Jonathan VonEngeln: if I take the video card (8400gs) out I get no lockups no matter what I'm doing.
Jonathan VonEngeln: Even with the 5200+ processor
Jonathan VonEngeln: hence the reason I thought I'd get rid of my 65 watt 5200+ x2 processor and replace it with a 45 watt BE-2400 Processor
Jonathan VonEngeln: but no go there --- so now I'm wondering if it's just possible to swap PSUs/purchase a more powerful PSU.
Jonathan VonEngeln: Thanks - take what time you need.
Nicholas C: Thank you
Nicholas C: Thank you for staying online.

The Power supply can be upgraded to a 180W Slimline Power supply. However make sure that you will not install a power supply more than 200Watts
Jonathan VonEngeln: where can I order the 180w or 200w PSU? How much? Do you have a part number?
Jonathan VonEngeln: I know your intel model slimlines have the 180 from what I can pick up on the forums
Nicholas C: I will check if the Power supplies are available. Please give me 5 minutes
Jonathan VonEngeln: thank you!
Nicholas C: Thank you for staying online. I just searched but could not get the Part number information as 180W Power supply is not listed.
So I request you to contact HP Parts store directly at teh number 1-800-227-8164 for availability of 180w slimline Power supply. However if it not there then you can visit any nearby computer stores to obtain the Power supply
Jonathan VonEngeln: thanks!

Quick update on the 8500GT's HDMI output...I plugged the computer into my 37" 1366x768 LCD and set the computer's resolution to 1280x720. Unfortunately, there was a little bit of underscan present (black borders around the computer desktop). I tried other resolutions (e.g., 1920x1080) but still had the problem. Then I discovered that the NVIDIA control panel had some options for resizing the desktop, and this allowed me to fill the screen. Oddly, there didn't seem to be any options to move the image left/right or up/down, just resize, which resulted in the image getting a bit more overscan on one side versus the other.

Overall, though, it seems to work well. I am thinking of buying an XBox 360, just to see how well its HDMI output compares (and how bad the fan noise is). I don't really care about the gaming aspect, though, so I don't care for the idea of spending $280 or more just for an extender.

ok, so far we've got users who have installed:

8400GS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150246
8500GT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127301R

can someone break down the differences between the two? they're priced the same at Newegg. Personally, I just want something that will run stable and allow me to watch HD-DVD's and other HD content smoothly. i tried hooking up my Xbox 360 HD DVD player to my s3120n and everything worked fine....but the playback was unwatchable. the picture was extremely sharp, but the video was ridiculously choppy.

how about some others, like the ATI 2400pro? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127299

I'm actually planning on getting the 8400gs, but I'm looking at MSI's 8400gs, which is 12 bucks cheaper and the same thing really.

Are you guys having any issues bringing the PC out of sleep mode? A few times, the computer would come out of sleep mode (LED changes from orange to blue), but there's no video output (according to my monitor). i've had to hard reset the machine because of this.

Are you guys having any issues bringing the PC out of sleep mode? A few times, the computer would come out of sleep mode (LED changes from orange to blue), but there's no video output (according to my monitor). i've had to hard reset the machine because of this.

Yes Yes Yes! Thank you for bringing this up! I have noticed a few more details as well... In addition to the monitor not turning back on, the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive (the caps lock / num lock etc will not turn on and off telling me there is no power going to it.) Another point is that this seems to happen if you let the computer go to sleep on it's own using the timer settings to send it to sleep. If you push the sleep button on the remote control, it will come back with no problem. Hmmmm.... Is this the same for you? I hope someone has an answer. For the time being, I have turned off the sleep timer and increased my carbon footprint. Sigh.

Are there bios updates for the s3120n? I don't see ANY bios files on the HP download page.

I'm having the same problem on a S3020N...can't wake it up.
Played with start up programs once and it worked for a while and then the problem came back-I think after some software had been updated. I'm also looking for solution if anyone finds one. Very annoying problem!:confused:

I'm having the same problem on a S3020N...can't wake it up.
Played with start up programs once and it worked for a while and then the problem came back-I think after some software had been updated. I'm also looking for solution if anyone finds one. Very annoying problem!:confused:

I'm going to echo the idea that it occured after something was updated. This only started a few days ago and had never happened before that. What did we all update? Was there a windows update? HP update? Maybe it's because we're approaching daylight savings!:eek:

I put a 7300GS in my box for testing. I also plucked out the 2gb of RAM and put the stock 1GB of RAM back in.

So now my s3020n has

AMD x2 5200+
1GB PC 4300
7300GS

VIsta scores

Proc 5.2
Mem 4.5
Graphics desktop 3.7
Grpahics gaming 3.0
HD 5.4

Overall - 3.0

I also am now able to run the proc at full performance --- disabling power mangment and CPU throttling....to allow the x2 5200+ to run at full tilt without lockup.

7300GS is okay for really 2 or 3 generation old games. But not really terribly interesting -- THOUGH MUCH Better than the stock 6150 video card that comes stock in the slimlines. It plays warhammer - dawn of war fine at 1280x1024 at all options maxed. The onboard 6150 was extremely choppy and unplayable on this game at the same settings.

It's only about a 18watt video card --- much less than the 8400GS's 40watt draw.

hmmmm....My aunt is wanting a new PC...I may just sell her this on s3020n, as it's currently configured. It's a awesome machine as configured for a general home use - plenty fast!....though not going to set the world on fire for newest gaming performance -- it'll still play older games just fine.

Playing around with this I just figured out something else.

I had tried to take the recovery disks I made from the slimline and put them on another PC I had just for kicks???

The disks wouldn't load because they said it wasn't an HP machine.

I put a spare HD and recovered the HP standard load onto the slimline using a spare hard-drive.

I then put the spare hard-drive in the second machine - volia!

:)

HP's Vista on a second machine.

I won't keep it here - I'll go back to my legitimate and licensed copy of XP for my spare machine --- BUT....at least we know it can be done --- so you aren't just wasting your OEM Vista license if you get rid of your slimline.

Oddly enough, another box I have has an ECS motherboard with a built in 6100 - for some reason it scores better in Vista performance index than the slimline's 6150??? Explain that one to me?

The 6100 gets 3.4 and 3.0 for desktop and gaming
the 6150 gets 3.1 and 3.0 for dekstop and gaming respectively.

For those watching HDTV over the ATSC, is the video smooth (with the stock 6150LE onboard video)?

I don't know if it's the reception, antenna, or the PC's video, but when i watch OTA HD video it's real choppy (unwatchable).

For those watching HDTV over the ATSC, is the video smooth (with the stock 6150LE onboard video)?

I don't know if it's the reception, antenna, or the PC's video, but when i watch OTA HD video it's real choppy (unwatchable).

2 things seem to cause choppyness for me. 1) If the 6150 is run at a very high resolution (above 1280x800 for me). Lower resolutions work fine 2) If the signal isn't VERY strong. I have a high quality TERK HD antenna and if I position it right, all but one channel is nice and smooth. If I adjust the antenna for that channel, two or three of the others get choppy. I think I need to move my antenna farther from my monitor and that might help.

Back