The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Hope Im not threadjacking, but I installed the 8400gs from xfx...tight fit, seemed to work ok, but my comp will lock up if its on for a significant amount of time(10-15min). No reboots, only lockups. I assume this is heat related and not power supply related(which would induce a reboot). Has anyone else had this problem? What are normal temps to expect from cpu/mb with case closed? Thanks

One more point of note. I downloaded the drivers for the Geforce 8400GS and realized I don't know if my OS is 64 bit or 32 bit. A jog over to the OS forum and a quick post and response gave me the answer - 32 Bit.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1225016

So I put the 8400GS in the PC...I had to take off the full lenght bracket and just kinda stuck it in there, it's not mounted securely because my XFX half height brackets I Instead purchased through Compusabusiness haven't yet arrived. The case is on it's side and the board is sticking out of the case. First thing I noticed, you don't have much extra room at all --- The card couldn' t be much more than a 1" longer than the 8400GS and still fit, next thing ----- DANG, those 8400GS passive heatsinks get HOT!. Too hot to touch!......Hope that isn't a problem with the case on. I booted into windows, installed the drivers, and then ran the Vista system score again.

Results?

Processor = 4.8
Memory = 5.9
Desktop Graphics = 3.6
Gaming Graphics = 4.4
Primary Hard-disk = 5.4

I'm not sure why my RAM scores went up two tenths? Maybe I get a further bonus if the RAM isn't being forcibly shared with the onboard 6150LE?

I'll run some benchmarks on some games and let you know how they play. Any particular games you'd like to know about? If I have it I'll give you a feel for the performance.

Nice post.

I recently bought an HP s3027c which came with an Athlon x2 64 4000 and 2x512mb ram. The same nVidia 6150le on board graphics which i knew needed to be updated asap. i did a lot of research and was able to get my scores up a bit.

Here are my scores...

Processor = 5.2
Memory = 5.0
Desktop Graphics = 4.6
Gaming Graphics = 4.9
Primary Hard-disk = 5.4
Base Score = 4.6 (dragged down by the lowest score - desktop graphics)

I would have liked to upgrade the graphics on this thing by buying the Galaxy 8600 GT, but alas it is NOT available unless you live in Australia or elsewhere in the Southern Hemisphere. I did see it for $126 at ncixus.com , but it was not in stock there or anywhere else I searched.

(http://www.ncixus.com/products/26441/86GEF8HDFCXX/Galaxy Techology/)

Instead I settled on a Visiontek Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB PCIe w/HDMI/DVI which does come with low profile (half-height) brackets. I also opted to upgrade the CPU in this machine to the AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-Core 5200+ 2.6Ghz 2MB L2-cache socket AM2 (65-Watt version) and to double up from the stock 1gb of ram to 2gb of ram.

All said an done, the s3027c was a good buy for me because of including Windows Vista Home Premium I basically got the computer for $250 from Ubid.com before my upgrades. Since Vista costs about $100 bucks for an OEM copy, I think I made out well. It's small, very nice looking and silent. Perfect for now since my other PC is a gaming monster that sounds louder than an average bathroom exhaust fan.

Here are the total costs for buying and upgrading this system

1) HP s3027c [Athlon 64 X2 (B) 4000+ Dual Core 2.1 GHz (65W), 250 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm, 1GB ram, 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive, Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g and Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface, 15-in-1 Memory card reader, Keyboard, Mouse, Windows Vista Home Premium] $250

2) Visiontek Radeon X1650 Pro HD / 256MB GDDR2 / PCI Express / HDMI / DVI / VGA / HDTV / Low Profile / Video Card $70.75

3) UPGRADE AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ EE Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 2.6GHZ 2000FSB 2X1MB 90NM 65W Retail Box $166.85

4) Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory - Retail $109.99

Total: $597.59 USD

Not to mention that I now have a spare AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ EE Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 which was the stock CPU in this system and 1GB of Ram to start with. I am thinking of building a second HTPC system for my son with this CPU.

rlj1965

Update - 18 October, 2007

I received the new Visiontek Radeon X1650 256mb and the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ EE Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 2.6GHZ 2000FSB 2X1MB 90NM 65W Retail Box. The ram was already in. I can confirm that this machine does in fact support the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 65w and after installing both the GPU and the CPU, this system is now much better. It is only held back by the GPU because it requires a Low Profile Card. If I wanted to, I'd take the components out, put them in a slightly larger case with a bigger PSU and I could really get some screaming graphics card for this thing. But for now, the cheap price of this thing makes it just fine for me and space saving too!

rlj1965

Hope Im not threadjacking, but I installed the 8400gs from xfx...tight fit, seemed to work ok, but my comp will lock up if its on for a significant amount of time(10-15min). No reboots, only lockups. I assume this is heat related and not power supply related(which would induce a reboot). Has anyone else had this problem? What are normal temps to expect from cpu/mb with case closed? Thanks

What system are your running? Are you running an HP slimline?

Download Core Temp - my slimline idles at about 49* for the CPU, and hits about 59* after gaming for a good long while. I can't figure out how to check the video card temp on the 8400gs with the newest Nvidia drivers????? It no longer seems to have a tab.

rlj1965,

If only it was that easy to pop out the internal motherboard and guts into a larger case/bigger powersupply.

The problem you'll run into that No one has been able to find a work around for is that the HP slimlines use a non-standard Power Supply to motherboard connector. It's unique to these systems, so unless you want to rewire the new PSU to the non-standard connectors (24 wires) you can't switch PSUs, therefore a new case is still limited by the 160 watt psu.

Has anyone tried to contact HP to see if they sell the 180w PSU found in the Intel Slimline? Worth a try for a extra 20w for those that have AMD Slimlines.

I did see it for $126 at ncixus.com , but it was not in stock there or anywhere else I searched.
I asked NCIXUS about this here is their response:

Normally this is a special order item, which means we do not keep regular stock of it, however we're expected to receive a shipment of them in early next week. So you may wish to check the stock next week to see if when we received them and then you can place an order for it if you'd like. Thanks!

Archaea -
Im running a slimline 3120n - standard 4200+, 2gb ram, tuner with 8400gs added as discussed. Will install core temp and see what the temps are.

No one else has heard of slimlines locking up?

Thanks all

Archaea -
Im running a slimline 3120n - standard 4200+, 2gb ram, tuner with 8400gs added as discussed. Will install core temp and see what the temps are.

No one else has heard of slimlines locking up?

Thanks all

You've got a tuner and a 8400gs?

I bet you're having a power problem too, rather than an over-heating. The TV Tuner is probably PCI right?

Figure you got an extra 10-15 watt draw there..........

Darn it HP ----- Give us some extra amperage headroom to mod these slimlines! I checked ebay for HP slimline Power supplys. There is a dead one on there, nothing worthwhile.

I really can't complain too much...We are infact running these PCs way out of the spec they were designed to accomidate.

Ok Guys and Gals I’ve got the S3220N and it now comes with the 180-watt power sup.
It also came with the 5000 amd x2 so I’m set, just got to upgrade the video. But, I’m waiting for the 8800 GT low profile card and info on anybody running one.
One more thing I came across a post or something that said you can run 4 GB of memory. Would be nice but, HP doesn’t like giving much information on upgrading the Slimlines.

Ok Guys and Gals I’ve got the S3220N and it now comes with the 180-watt power sup.
It also came with the 5000 amd x2 so I’m set, just got to upgrade the video. But, I’m waiting for the 8800 GT low profile card and info on anybody running one.
One more thing I came across a post or something that said you can run 4 GB of memory. Would be nice but, HP doesn’t like giving much information on upgrading the Slimlines.
Normally I would agree with you about upgrading, but you will not be able to get the video card and memory you're looking for. Not only will there not be a low profile 8800, but the 8800 consumes over 100watts, way over what this slimline could ever handle. I'm pretty sure they're using the same mobos on all these units, so 4GB of ram is out of the question, since they only support 1GB modules.

Normally I would agree with you about upgrading, but you will not be able to get the video card and memory you're looking for. Not only will there not be a low profile 8800, but the 8800 consumes over 100watts, way over what this slimline could ever handle. I'm pretty sure they're using the same mobos on all these units, so 4GB of ram is out of the question, since they only support 1GB modules.

There is some truth, on the HP site it shows that the motherboard can handle 4GB for the 3220n model. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...47&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548659&lang=en
but it does not show the power supply infomation.

There is some truth, on the HP site it shows that the motherboard can handle 4GB for the 3220n model.
Too bad the other models don't support it... The motherboard used in the s3020n (Asus M2NC51-AR) is different than the one used in the s3220n (Asus M2NC61-AR). From what I've seen, the Intel 3200 series still has the same motherboard as the previous generations. What also was really interesting, was that on the first few days the s3200t came out, they were offering a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive for $250. Now it's not listed and in order to get that drive for that price you have to go to their High Performance line.

My 3120n wont playback my hd-dvd's with my 360 drive at fullscreen without fps drops...it is real choppy :-\ This is with an 8400gs. It is going to my projector too.

Any ideas?

My 3120n wont playback my hd-dvd's with my 360 drive at fullscreen without fps drops...it is real choppy :-\ This is with an 8400gs. It is going to my projector too.

Any ideas?

Absolutely --- at least an idea....:cool:

the 8400gs should be perfectly capable - it is advertised by Nvidia to do so.

I think your energy star settigns are probably at fault.

Assuming default Vista install is in place.

Right click on the desktop anywhere on the background graphic
left click personalize
left click screensaver
left click change power settings...
left click the radio button for high performance
Close the window in the top right corner with the X button.

According to cpu-z and sisoft sandra utilities CPU realtime Mhz ratings, your CPU will change from running at about 1Ghz to the full Mhz/Ghz rating.

Download the freeware here
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

I've noticed in encoding videos my results were choppy - until I did this. Problem for me was....as mentioned above....when I do this - I lock up --- because I've upgraded too much.

x2 5200+ processor
2GB PC6400 RAM
8400gs

The 160 watt PSU isn't able to handle all those upgrades at full load. If you've only upgraded RAM and Video card I'm sure you'd be fine. As the processor I'm using is rated at 20 watts more than the default processor.

Also considering taking out your modem if you aren't using it. It takes up your PCI slot by default and draws about 5 watts power that you don't need to spend.

Try this and let us know.

I might try to test with mine today using my xbox360 HD-DVD drive. Problem is my HDCP compliant display is limited to 720p video ----- so I'm not doing a full test. I can say this however ---- I can play ripped HD-TV and 1080p movies resized to 1680x1050 (my 22" monitor max resolution) without a hitch (even on the energy star setting) with the HP s3020n setup using the 8400gs (upgraded as mentioned above).....so I shouldn't think adding the actual HD-DVD disc into the mix should cause anything to fail???

omjeremy,

Your PC s3100y has the 180 watt PSU right? Is that confirmed by looking at the label?

I went to HP's part order site?!?!

www.hp.com/buy/parts

I looked under your model thinking maybe I could just buy your PSU...

Oddly enough it isn't listed

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=6F9AJS5C1QRS8LSSNC6CSLD2B7C3D198

But in looking at the prices that are listed I think it would be absurdly expensive.

A 500GB run of the mill SATA drive for instance = $665.92

I've been watching ebay to no avail..... :confused::mad::(

omjeremy,

try the steps in the post above --- Putting your PC at high performance - and see if you are getting any lockups with all your upgrades.

All I have to do is put mine in high performance - it will lockup within about 3 minutes doing nothing at all. It's just too much power draw for the s3020n....but you've got the 180 watt PSU I think and basically the same upgrades as I do. (same power draw more or less)

I'm curious if your system becomes unstable even with the 180 watt psu.

Also I think worth noting. In this current generation of chips AMD typically uses less power than Intel at idle, but Intel uses less power than AMD at full load.

I found the culprit. It is some process that is giving me 50% on idle.

Booting up, idle is around 3%

Play hd-dvd in powerdvd, smooth as butter.

exit

idle is 50%

play hd-dvd in powerdvd, choppy because of high cpu usage.

exit

still at 50% idle and cant fix it

Alright... A couple things:

HD-DVD Playback:

Your problem also has something to do with both your processor and video card. There have been many tests to play Blu-Ray and HD-DVD video on computers and in order to do so with an 8400, 8800 or 7 series nvidia card you need a very powerful processor, i.e. an E6600 or X2 6000. The 8400 does not have the updated PureVideo technology that the 8500 and 8600 do. They both have the updated PureVideo technology which can handle nearly the entire process and play HD video on a 'slower' system. Yes, nvidia may have said that you'll be able to play 1080p with the 8400, but it's not true. See Anand Tech's review of this technology.

High Performance:

I've been running my computer in high performance for a week or two now. I set it like this when I wanted to encode some video. Anyway, I just reset it to Balanced because if I'm not at the computer for an hour I want it to go to sleep. I don't really know why this would cause problems for you. Also, it is perfectly normal for your processor to drop down in speed when you're not doing too much. It saves energy. It's called "PowerNow!" or "Quiet'n'Cool" for AMD chips. There is a program that you can download that allows you to disable this: RightMark CPU Clock Utility. Since I have an Intel chip I can't walk you through the process, but I have to uncheck "Enable Enhanced Halt state (C1E)" to disable the low power settings.

Also, yes I have a 180W PSU. The PSU is listed as model: DPS-180XB A (REV 00F) by Delta Electronics, Inc. A quick search found this website which lists both a 180W and a 220W PSU. Unfortunately, they're not the same dimensions. I did find this though. It's nearly the same dimensions (I measured my PSU at 230x80x37 this is 190 x 81.5 x 40.3) and 250W! They list it as a Flex ATX PSU.This site also seems to sell them, although they have MOLEX connectors, not SATA... this can be corrected with adapters though.

EDIT: It looks like someone tried to do this already. See http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6035_102-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=242304&start=15 (Post 23) The OP of that thread said that it's really not worth it, but it doesn't sound too hard to me, although it seems that the crimping tool is expensive, but I bet there's a way around that.

the culprit was the tv tuner that came with it. I disabled it and now everything is fine..except I get a green screen using powerdvd. I get audio but no video for Transformers...it worked fine before :-\ And now enabling the tv tuner back did not fix it. AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh

did you stick an 8500GT in yours yet?

I've noticed the 8400GS can handle everything I throw at it at a low resolution like 800x600 or even 1024x768 with all things maxed. But it doesn't like 1680x1050 with everything maxed even on old games. It'll benchmark better than it'll play because the dips in FPS kill me, and average FPS in a benchmark doesn't show the harsh dips.

This is because of the tiny 64-bit memory bus width on the card. I'm not suprised it can't do much above 1024x768 for games. The 8500GT (in my sig) will only do games at around 1024x768. I can push it higher, to around 1280x1024, but it starts to get bottlenecked because it's 128-bit bus isn't that great. For gaming at or above 1280x1024, you really need a card that has a 256-bit bus width or above. Now granted, the GPU is also responsible as well, and memory bandwidth, but having a tiny bus width will kill games at even lower resolutions. That system should have at least an 8500GT (low-form factor) on it. You will get much better performance with HD-DVD's and Blu-Ray videos (1080p) using VC-1. The 8400GS can do it, but it is much weaker due to it's smaller memory bus. The GPU on the 8400GS and the 8500GT are exactly the same. The only real difference is memory bus width, memory bandwidth (due to the bus), and the amount of memory. The 8500GT also does not use HyperMemory or TurboCache, so that should give you a slight boost for system memory as well when you make the switch.

the culprit was the tv tuner that came with it. I disabled it and now everything is fine..except I get a green screen using powerdvd. I get audio but no video for Transformers...it worked fine before :-\ And now enabling the tv tuner back did not fix it. AHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Check your codecs. Removing this card could have disabled some of them for some reason. Try reinstalling your DVD software as this will remove the old "broken" codecs and restore them to their original state (without the tuner card in it).

Sorry for the double post. :p

...According to cpu-z and sisoft sandra utilities CPU realtime Mhz ratings, your CPU will change from running at about 1Ghz to the full Mhz/Ghz rating.
x2 5200+ processor
2GB PC6400 RAM
8400gs

Hi. I'm new to this forum but I've been following this thread since I bought a refurbished s3020n from CompUSA about two months ago. I want to thank all who have contributed as I have benefited greatly from this resource.

I've bumped mine to 2GB ValueRAM PC2-4200 and saw my WEI scores jump to:

4.8 Processor
5.8 Memory
3.1 Graphics
3.0 Gaming Graphics
5.5 Primary Hard Disk

I have a question for Archaea and others who are using RAM with higher clock capability. I wonder if your PC6400 RAM has lower latency numbers than the 4200 stuff that comes stock with these computers. CPUz reports these timings for my system @ 100% CPU clock setting:

Freq : 250 Mhz
FSB:DRAM : CPU/8
CAS# Latency : 4.0
RAS# to CAS# : 4
RAS# precharge : 4
Cycle Time : 12
Bank Cycle : 15
Command Rate : 1T

My question is: Does RAM with higher clock capability actually run at higher frequency on this board? And if it doesn't, can it still provide a performance advantage with lower latency times?

I've also built tight duct-work around the heat-pipe radiator with card-stock that funnels heat out of the case very nicely. I've seen a major reduction in fan noise and the case temperature when running high load. I'd love to share pictures if anyone is interested and is willing to host the pics.

Thanks again! And keep on truckin'

My question is: Does RAM with higher clock capability actually run at higher frequency on this board? And if it doesn't, can it still provide a performance advantage with lower latency times?

Yes, it does run at faster clocks if the RAM is capable.

CPU-Z quotes my ram used to run at 400MHZ --- Doubled = 800mhz = PC DDR2 6400 on my stock x2 3800+ processor.

Now since I upgraded to the X2 5200+ I've lost a bit of RAM clock speed due to the AMD divider which stinks --

CPU-Z now states my RAM is running at

Freq : 372.2 Mhz
FSBRAM : CPU/7
CAS# Latency : 5.0
RAS# to CAS# : 5
RAS# precharge : 5
Cycle Time : 18
Bank Cycle : 23
Command Rate : 2T

Which means I'm geting 744Mhz - as I should according to the websites that explain the AMD dividers. ---

I would like to see your cardstock cooling modification. Put a few of the pictures on www.putfile.com

Anybody here want to upgrade their slimline x2 3800+ processor, but doesn't feel the need to upgrade their video card?

I think at this point, since I can't effectively have all three. I'd like to downgrade my processor to the 45 watt X2 3800+ again and sell off this brand new (used less than 2 weeks) x2 5200+ (2mb edition)

I'd want a x2 3800+ 45 watt or a Brisbane BE-2300, or BE 2350, or a BE 2400.

For my purposes I'd rather have the RAM and video card upgrade over the processor upgrade. The X2 5200+ is the fastest X2 available that is 65 watts or below. It'll work just fine in a slimline with the 2GB RAM upgrade, but don't throw a processor in the combo if you are going to do heavy encoding.

I regretably sold mine here

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1229138

CompUSA has the refurb pavilion slimline on sale again. See: here.

Pavilion s3100n Slimline PC

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2.1GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows Vista Home Premium

Was: $539.99
PRICE: $299.99
SAVE $240 after:
$190.00 instant savings
$50.00 mail-in rebate(s)
Free shipping

I just purchased a s3100n (4000+), but am considering returning it to get the s3220n, because of the faster processor (5000+). My primary usage of this machine will be for recording and playing back ATSC signal. Do you think the 5000+ processor will make much of a difference, with everything else the same? I know someone else said the upgrade from a 4000+ to a 5200+ only brought the Vista performance score from a 4.8 to a 5.2, so I don't know whether this will actually make a difference for me or not.

The s3220n come with a TV card as well. Does anyone know who makes this card? I am wondering whether the card is any good or whether I would have to upgrade that component as well.

I just purchased a s3100n (4000+), but am considering returning it to get the s3220n, because of the faster processor (5000+). My primary usage of this machine will be for recording and playing back ATSC signal. Do you think the 5000+ processor will make much of a difference, with everything else the same? I know someone else said the upgrade from a 4000+ to a 5200+ only brought the Vista performance score from a 4.8 to a 5.2, so I don't know whether this will actually make a difference for me or not.

The s3220n come with a TV card as well. Does anyone know who makes this card? I am wondering whether the card is any good or whether I would have to upgrade that component as well.

Check out tomshardware for a cpu chart comparison of the x2 4000 vs. the x2 5000.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=933&model2=936&chart=436

They have options for several video encoding/decoding tests.

I can't speak to the TV card --- I have no idea.

Archaea: So you have a 8400gs, 2gb ram, and a 3800+, and you're watching HD just fine? That is the basic setup I am looking into having. There are so many mix reviews on the capability of the 8400gs to watch HD. Do you have any problems with dropped frames? I would love to get more people's reviews of the 8400gs in a HDPC and not for games, as that is what I am hoping to do. Thanks in advance!

Archaea: So you have a 8400gs, 2gb ram, and a 3800+, and you're watching HD just fine? That is the basic setup I am looking into having. There are so many mix reviews on the capability of the 8400gs to watch HD. Do you have any problems with dropped frames? I would love to get more people's reviews of the 8400gs in a HDPC and not for games, as that is what I am hoping to do. Thanks in advance!

I don't have a way to test true 1080p becase I don't have a monitor capable.

My 22" LCD is 1680x1050
My projector is 1280x720 (720p)

and I'm using a X2 5200+ now.

But there is no stuttering whatsoever --- and I am playing 1080p sources, IE, Windows HD video examples that are true 1080p sources that have to be resized to my 22" monitor's max res of 1680x1050. In some sense it might take more processor power to be resizing the video from 1080p to 1680x1050 on the fly????

Thanks for the reply! You've given me quite a bit more confidence in the 8400gs, enough so that I will take the plunge myself. I would really doubt that the 4000+ verses 5200+ CPU would make any difference in processing 1080p material, so I'll give this all a try and see what what happens.

Anyone else has any idea about the TV tuner that some of the slimline models come up (i.e. s3120n, s3220n, etc.)? Is it any good?

I have the S3200N and I upgraded with 2 gigs PNY value Memory and the PNY 8400GS. The card was long so I had to bend a tab by the HP external storage cage to get it to fit. I'm running DVI to my LCD and all seems to be running well. The only thing is the Power supply is getting warm not scorching hot but pretty warm but down by the GPU and CPU it's not hot.
Is this normal the P/S getting hot I never bothered to check it before I upgraded.

Over all Vista score was 2.8 after upgrade 3.7

Processor 5.1
Memory 5.9
Graphics 3.7
Gaming 4.4
HD 5.8

Bob

With the 3120n and GeForce 8400GS, I can not play transformers HD-DVD smoothy due to it being MPEG4 AVC. VC1 films worked fine...just not those.

With the 3120n and GeForce 8400GS, I can not play transformers HD-DVD smoothy due to it being MPEG4 AVC. VC1 films worked fine...just not those.

If you want to play them smoothly, you need to either upgrade the video card to an 8500gt/8600gt or upgrade the processor. Those video cards have PureVideo HD 2 which can completely offload AACS-decryption and H.264-decoding from the CPU.

Compusa still has these on and off for the same price.

Depends on if you like CompUSA or Ubid better?!?!

Well they are sold out right now and i was wanting to get these soon. Do they usually get them back in stock quickly?

If you want to play them smoothly, you need to either upgrade the video card to an 8500gt/8600gt or upgrade the processor. Those video cards have PureVideo HD 2 which can completely offload AACS-decryption and H.264-decoding from the CPU.

Yeah...I learned that after I got my 8400gs :-P
I gotta find a low profile one though...sigh

Jeremy,

You should quote a review source that says 8400GS cannot play HD-DVD or BlueRay with tests or quit saying it doesn't. It's a dis-service to the community to relay inaccurate information. I appreciate all your input in the thread and it's mostly all very valuable, but I've noticed here, and in several other threads, including(I think) some threads on the HP forum you keep saying the 8400GS doesn't play HD-DVD and Blue-Ray. That's a direct contradiction to Nvidia's information as well as every vendor/manufactorers information. Nvidia directly quotes Blue-Ray and HD-DVD hardware support, and rates it "good" which is above "satisfactory"

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

Yes! The 8500GT is better than the 8400GS....but the 8400GS is perfectly adequate for HD-DVD or Blue-Ray.

Google search 8400gs + blue-ray or 8400gs + HD-DVD....Every single review says it works. Just cause a single person here or there says it's hiccupping doesn't mean it's the cards fault. Their PC configuration is completely unknown. I'd trust Nvidia, over a random internet peer I don't know.

It isn't the card. The 8400GS actually is quite a nice card for $40 bucks -- It plays most of my older games(1-2 generations old) at full quality at max resolution

I wish I had a 1080p display to test with, but I don't, but I can play 1080p source material resized to 1680x1050.

My guess in the case above is that the power saving mode utilized through Vista is crippling your HD-DVD performance on your slimline. I know my homebrew P4 3.2 Ghz machine with 1gb of RAM had absolutely no problems encoding video from my mini-dv cam, but my slimline can't even encode video from my camcorder without tons of hitching in the final video unless I disable the power savingsmode. The average person wouldn't even know to do that - basically they wouldn't have the ability to download video/encode video from their camcorder, which of course isn't right with a x2 3800+ or greater processor. I imagine there is a generic processor minimum with the 8400gs, and since the processor in the slimlines likes to hang out about 1Ghz for most all tasks, (according to realtime monitoring with CPU-Z)....the minimum specs of the slimline running in powersavings mode at 1GHZ coupled with the 8400gs is probably failing. I would bet you could try that 8400GS with full performance power mode, or in a machine that didn't have any throttling capability and it would perform like a champ............

If it doesn't - then we've got a class action lawsuit on our hands......

Ug, here are some sources:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/08/avivo_vs_purevideo_hd/page11.html
http://images.tomshardware.com/2007/06/08/avivo_vs_purevideo_hd/vista-h264.png[/IMG]
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/uvd%20versus%20purevideo%20hd_07230740716/15166.png[/IMG]

I don't remember saying that the 8400gs won't play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. It will, provided it's paired with a good enough processor. As you can see in the above pictures, the 8500/8600GTs use less CPU than the 8800 (which has the same video technology as the 8400/8300 and 7 series). There are other reviews out there which go into even more depth.

The previous poster stated that he was having problems and I think that it's most likely he doesn't have a good enough CPU. Of course, the 8400gs DOES help decode HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, but not nearly as much as 8500/8600 do. You're right, it could also be that the card isn't getting enough power.

Note from FLECOM: Do not hotlink images, host them yourself

hi, i just purchased one of this systems at compusa and wonderin how long did it took before you guys receive your orders?

thanks

Back