The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

I seriously need to stop reading these forums. I'm so tempted to buy this one for my sister. She says she doesn't really need a new computer, but I think she does.

How does it run stock? Without upgrading to 2 gigs of memory?
Does is come with 1 stick of 1 gig or 2x512?

what are your individual scores/before and after.
It's funny, after reading my post I realized I left out some information. I meant that my Vista Processor score went from 4.7 to 5.3. Here are the numbers:

Processor: 5.3 (was 4.7)
Memory (RAM): 4.5 (still 1GB)
Graphics: 3.1 (was 3.0)
Gaming Graphics: 3.2
Primary Hard Disk: 5.7

@iqwerti
This computer runs just fine with the base configuration for everyday tasks. I want to run games and have a very good system, so I've decided to upgrade everything. Yes, 1GB is fine. It comes with 2x512MB, thus dual channel.

It's interesting that the next version (3200) includes an option for 8500GT and Blu-Ray. AFAIK, it uses the same PSU. They offer the 8500GT because the computer won't be able to play Blu-Ray without it. I was looking into buying a Blu-Ray or HDDVD drive and read that the bare minimum processor that is recommended is a C2DE6600, provided you don't have an 8500GT or 8600GT. With the 8500GT or 8600GT, you can get away with a slower processor, since the best processor the 3200 series offers is an E4500.

Also about your mouse, it's probably the mouse. I have a Razer Diamonback mouse that is USB and I've never had that problem, although this mouse always stays on.

Kinda crappy that it comes stock with sata 150...but overall pretty good. I'm thinking about buying one to run linux :)

I seriously need to stop reading these forums. I'm so tempted to buy this one for my sister. She says she doesn't really need a new computer, but I think she does.

How does it run stock? Without upgrading to 2 gigs of memory?
Does is come with 1 stick of 1 gig or 2x512?

runs fine stock.

2x512MB

My boss and also my father bought one at my recommendation. My boss loves it, my father's hasn't yet arrived, but he'll like it too I'm sure.

You did see the deal on the s3100n linked on page 2, that is now selling for $300 at compusa. The s3020n is sold out. It's a processor upgrade from the s3020n, and a bit more RAM speed, but otherwise the s3020n exactly. With that in mind it's even a better deal.

can someone post pics of just how small this guy is?

Also, the specs on this machine is quite good for the price. I'm just curious if there are any other desktops (not necessarily SFF) that can compete with the price/performance of this little guy.

Thanks

Core temperatures for the E6600 idle at 32C!!, with crappy thermal compound. At load it's 54C max, which jumps down below 40C a minute after the processor isn't at 100%. This ought to go even lower once I put arctic silver 5 on it. BTW I installed the new 2GB of RAM, which brought my vista memory score from 4.5 to 5.3 (same as processor), and raised my graphics score another .1 to 3.2 (now same as gaming).

Here are some in action pics to give you an idea of the size of the computer:

<pictures removed>

lol... now you can see my ugly speakers and gigantic CRT. I have an LCD, but it's being used in my other PC with less space around it.

Also, the specs on this machine is quite good for the price. I'm just curious if there are any other desktops (not necessarily SFF) that can compete with the price/performance of this little guy.

Thanks

For this price range, not much. The only other is probably a Dell Inspiron 531s, which I myself got instead of the slimline.

Here it is. (Configure with no monitor for lowest price to compare)

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive
Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Really good price for $329, and considering it has a 250w psu instead of the slimline's 160w, another good point.

I should mention that deal is only until October 31, there's an instant savings on it which is why its priced so low.

I didn't notice that at the time I bought my 531s, which was the sempron-based machine, that they had that savings deal, and that just removing the monitor from that x2 machine would reduce the cost even lower then the sempron one. I realized this a few days later, and also noticed they increased the hard drive to a 250gb instead of the 160gb I got. Oh well though, guess that's how it is with computers and their rapidly changing parts/prices. I guess another positive is it forces me to upgrade my processor, which on my old machine was the only thing I didn't want to change because it didn't seem as easy to install as memory sticks/graphic cards are.

For this price range, not much. The only other is probably a Dell Inspiron 531s, which I myself got instead of the slimline.

Here it is. (Configure with no monitor for lowest price to compare)

AMD Athlon&#8482; 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache&#8482;
48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive
Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Really good price for $329, and considering it has a 250w psu instead of the slimline's 160w, another good point.

I should mention that deal is only until October 31, there's an instant savings on it which is why its priced so low.

I didn't notice that at the time I bought my 531s, which was the sempron-based machine, that they had that savings deal, and that just removing the monitor from that x2 machine would reduce the cost even lower then the sempron one. I realized this a few days later, and also noticed they increased the hard drive to a 250gb instead of the 160gb I got. Oh well though, guess that's how it is with computers and their rapidly changing parts/prices. I guess another positive is it forces me to upgrade my processor, which on my old machine was the only thing I didn't want to change because it didn't seem as easy to install as memory sticks/graphic cards are.

I'm not knocking your choice at all. It's a very similar configuration.

The choice to me was decided however by the fact the HP slimlines came with Vista Home Premium, where as the Dell's only come with Vista Home Basic. Vista Aero is sexy looking --- unfortunately Vista Home Basic does not include the new fresh Aero Glass look.

I also prefer the case look of the piano gloss black HP Slimline quite a bit over the Dell, but that is preference.

The Cnet review for the HP s3020n was 8.5 The Cnet review for the Dell 531s was 7.8....

BUT it should be noted that the Dell 531s is a faster machine at base config specs.

HP Slimline Review
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-slimline-s3020n/4505-3118_7-32391038.html
Dell 531s Review
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-inspiron-531s-desktop/4505-3118_7-32486102.html

Rather funny - worth noting is my friends at work all say the S in any of these machines stands for "slow" not slimline :)

I figured out my USB mouse issue ....

IE USB Microsoft Intellisynch 3.0 mouse won't wake up after computer goes to sleep. The solution is to change the Mouse default input in the BIOS/CMOS from PS2 to USB. Since I did that the s3020n works like a champ in every way!

I'm not knocking your choice at all. It's a very similar configuration.

The choice to me was decided however by the fact the HP slimlines came with Vista Home Premium, where as the Dell's only come with Vista Home Basic. Vista Aero is sexy looking --- unfortunately Vista Home Basic does not include the new fresh Aero Glass look.

I also prefer the case look of the piano gloss black HP Slimline quite a bit over the Dell, but that is preference.

The Cnet review for the HP s3020n was 8.5 The Cnet review for the Dell 531s was 7.8....

BUT it should be noted that the Dell 531s is a faster machine at base config specs.

HP Slimline Review
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-slimline-s3020n/4505-3118_7-32391038.html
Dell 531s Review
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-inspiron-531s-desktop/4505-3118_7-32486102.html

Rather funny - worth noting is my friends at work all say the S in any of these machines stands for "slow" not slimline :)

Yeah, they're both priced around the same and are great for the price.

At the time I bought it my hard drive had just died so without thinking I just logged on dell's website on another comp, found whichever was the cheapest and ordered. That's also why I missed out on the x2 3800 for 20 bucks cheaper and got stuck with the sempron; I saw 349 as the cheapest, when the 499 without a monitor was 329.

But yeah, kinda crazy how powerful these lil slim computers can get with the right upgrades.

Okay, I recently purchased the s3220n (5000+ version of the Slimline PC) and I'm trying to figure out some upgrades.

I contacted HP Customer Service/Support about what type of power supply unit I would need for the Slimline case and they told me I would have to email them two dozen different serial numbers (basically every serial number from every part inside the case) before they would give me that information. After some research on my own I discovered that the power supply below is what HP uses for all the s3000 series desktops:

It looks like a SFX or TFX power supply, but the fan placement is a little weird. I'm not sure if this $26 power supply (300w) from newegg will fit inside the s3220n, but I think it may. I might have to spend $26 to see if this fits. Does anyone know if this definitely WON'T fit inside the s3000 series cases?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817374002

Also, it seems like everyone in this thread is looking for low-profile video cards for the s3000 case. Won't standard size video cards fit? It looks like they probably will.

They could, but for one you'd have to leave the side case off since the card won't fit with it on. Another thing is the power consumption. The slimlines ( have a 160w psu, which is why low-pro cards are best for them (and any other 'slim' pc); they use the least amount of power.

I had thought of doing that on my computer (Dell with 250w psu), possibly running a 7600gt or something, but not sure it's worth it now that the low-pro 8600GT is starting to surface.

Archaea/anyone,
Thanks for the tips on the install. Everything went smoothly until I connected a standard RGB cable to monitor. I'm getting static across the screen and can't figure out why.
All connections OK, used conversion faceplate kit, changed CMOS/BIOS settings, upgraded software and drivers...reopened computer case and checked everything and still static. Checked it on two different monitors same problem. Could it be a bad card? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm going to pick up a DVI cable tomorrow and see if that works.
Thanks,
Luckshin

Could it be a bad card?
Yeah, it sounds like it's the card. Especially since it does the same thing with two different monitors. I assume you're using a CRT, right? You should RMA the card, even if it works with the DVI cable. What if you ever want to have dual monitors?

Hey thanks for the reply.
I'm using LCD's. Tried the DVI cable and couldn't even get a signal to the monitor. RGB works with snow/static. Gonna pull the card. Anyone know how ZIip ZoomfFly is with returns??
You guys think its worth holding out for the 8600 cards?
I'm thinking its not worth all the hassle-selling the damn thing on eBay and starting all over again with a better OEM video card; especially since I'm using the PC in a home theatre. I do like the look of the slimline series though.
BTW, I did notice the card got pretty hot.
Lucksin

I've used ZipZoomFly before. I really like their prices, especially since I get charged sales tax with NewEgg. However, their return policy isn't the best. See: here. Basically, you'll be charged a 15% restocking fee if you want to return the card. Either way, you need to email them before you do anything. Here is the link to contact them about your problem. I've returned RAM with them and got the 15% restocking fee.

The 8400GS is a pretty low end card. It doesn't even have the great decoding capabilities that the 8500 and 8600 have. I would recommend getting at least an 8500 for HTPC use.

If you'll be doing any gaming, you should get an 8600 or 7600 card. The Galaxy 8600GT low profile is actually (finally!) available in the USA. You can purchase it here. I spoke with the sales department and they told me they'll be carrying a shipment of cards early this week. But, be aware... I'm not sure that the card supports HDCP (if that's important to you, i.e. if you think you'll ever buy a Blu-Ray or HDDVD drive for your computer) or has an HDMI port. I've sent an email asking these questions. The MSI 8600GT low profile does have all that, but I can't find anyone who sells it. I've written NCIXUS (the above website) and asked them to carry it. I'll let you know what they say, if anything.

If the MSI does become available, I'll be selling my 7600GS (which has HDCP and HDMI), though I haven't received it yet.

Thanks OMJeremy.
I sent in a request to ZZfly. Going to return the card for now in hopes of a better solution.
Wonder if power consumption will be a problem as more powerful video cards become available. Does the Galaxy 8600 function normally without any power supply upgrading? Upgrading power supplies aren't an area of competency for me.
Thanks

AFAIK, and I'm going by what's listed here, you should be totally fine with the 8600GT. It only consumes 30W; less than the 8500GT (40W) which HP offers with the Intel series. The AMD series has only the 8400GS as the max option, but that still consumes 38W. I've never seen a low profile graphics card that consumes over 40W, so I don't think we have to worry about power consumption as more powerful graphics cards become available. It may just be a coincidence, but it seems like all cards that consume over 40 are never available in low profile versions.

If I buy the 8600GT I'll let you all know how/if it works.

Also, I've looked into upgrading the power supply. It's pretty much next to impossible.

Alright... got the 7600GS, runs perfectly! Although the fan is kind of whiny. It is a bit annoying. Ug... That's what you have to deal with though. Anyway, it brought my Vista Graphics to 4.6 and Gaming to 4.8. Not as high as I had hoped, but it's just a number. I am using the card without a bracket and it works fine. It's a bit flimsy; I should probably order the bracket from MSI.

Hey guys wanted to know, which of the slimeline PCs (AMDor Intel Version) is best to upgrade? via Vista benchmark. I have read that the max cpu for the AMD is the 65w 5200x2 and for the Intel it is E6700. So which is better?:confused:

You're right about the Intel. I don't know about the AMD. The Intel has a more powerful PSU (180W vs. 160W). The only problem with the Intel is that the processors are more expensive. E6700 is over $300 retai). If you're lucky you can get a new one on eBay for under $250. The E6600 can be got for around $200 on eBay.

If the X2 5200 is the best processor the AMD can handle, get the Intel version. The high end C2Ds are better. X2 5200 produces a 5.2 in Vista. E6600 produces a 5.4. With my upgrades, the computer is really awesome for a slimline, imo.

Wow, that make sense w/ Intel board provided. the FSB only supports up to 1066 MHZ and not the new 1333 MHZ. Wonder if a BIOS update is in the works?

I would hope so! I was really bummed out that I couldn't buy an E6750, which was only $195 retail and is a bit faster than the E6700. Well, that's what you get for getting a computer on sale. I'm still really happy with it.

Alright... got the 7600GS, runs perfectly! Although the fan is kind of whiny. It is a bit annoying. Ug... That's what you have to deal with though. Anyway, it brought my Vista Graphics to 4.6 and Gaming to 4.8. Not as high as I had hoped, but it's just a number. I am using the card without a bracket and it works fine. It's a bit flimsy; I should probably order the bracket from MSI.

You can buy a set of brackets that should work with your card here for only $8 shipped

http://www.compusabusiness.com/prod...1&D=xfx+bracket&Ntk=All&product_code=52453620

I wouldn't trust using it without brackets for a long period of time.

Archaea/anyone,
Thanks for the tips on the install. Everything went smoothly until I connected a standard RGB cable to monitor. I'm getting static across the screen and can't figure out why.
All connections OK, used conversion faceplate kit, changed CMOS/BIOS settings, upgraded software and drivers...reopened computer case and checked everything and still static. Checked it on two different monitors same problem. Could it be a bad card? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm going to pick up a DVI cable tomorrow and see if that works.
Thanks,
Luckshin

I would think that would be a video card problem...but are you sure you got it popped in all the way?

If it wasn't mated up correctly you could potentially have this problem. Also did you change the setting in the BIOS/CMOS to set the video output to PCI-E rather than onboard or auto?

Where do you live? If it's near one of us on the board here you could get one of us to try that card in our machines or our card in your machine. I live in Kansas City.

I also respectfully disagree with the review of the 8400gs not being a good card. For 40 bucks it's a fantastic card and plenty capable of playing Blue-Ray, HDTV, and High Definition 1080p video -- I guarentee it because I'm doing it myself.

It plays older games (last gen - perhaps 2 gen ago IE HL2, Doom3, Titan Quest, etc) with at 1680x1050 with medium settings and all settings maxed at 1280x1024 --- quite playable on my system.

I'm currently playing through WarHammer - Dawn of war at max resolutions at 1280x1024 and it's PERFECTLY smooth (except oddly enough in in-game cutscenes - there is a slight hiccup - but gameplay is butter smooth)

I have a link on the 8400gs wothiness here

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1222679

Now --- all this being said....

As soon as I can get my hands on an 8600gt --- I will. I'll pass the 8400gs on to my wife...to replace her 7300gs.

Hey guys wanted to know, which of the slimeline PCs (AMDor Intel Version) is best to upgrade? via Vista benchmark. I have read that the max cpu for the AMD is the 65w 5200x2 and for the Intel it is E6700. So which is better?:confused:

Benchmarks can be found here

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=923&model2=877&chart=419

The e6600 is more powerful than the x2 5200+ in most every benchmark.

BUT the e6600 is nearly twice as expensive.

I bought my X2 5200+ on ebay new in retail box (65 watt version) for ~$100 bucks. You can buy them in stores for $130 retail.

I think you'd be happy with either one and it' probably a matter of budget. If you're not limited on funds go intel. If you are perhaps AMD is the better setup.

I had my first reboot tonight.

I was on vacation the last few days and was encoding my miniDV cassettes to AVI via firewire from my camcorder.

Boom - restart. The video was pulling down, my wife was browsing the internett, and the machine just shut-down.

Probably a safety mechanism from the heat.

We may have found a chink in the armor on these heavily upgraded HPs.

I'll post more as I know more.

Bear in mind --- mine has the 2GB of RAM upgrade, the 8400GS upgrade, and the X2 5200+ processor upgrade.

It powered right back on and I'm using it to type right now. It is 50*c and 49*c on the two cores according to core temp.

I'm going to give it a break and go watch a movie.

If this happens again I guess I'll have to step back down to a 45 watt processor again like the x2 3800+ the box came with.

Perhaps I'll go with a AMD X2 BE-2400 45 watt processor. They are the fastest 45 watt and are the equivalent of a x2 4400+ in speed.

shucks........time will tell.

Yep-card was installed properly-all contacts were in place. Set the CMOS/BIOS settings properly. Already got an RMA from ZZFly and will send it on its way. Given your experience perhaps I'll hold out for the 8600GT, the specs looked impressive relative to the 8400GS. I've waited this long.

Yeah... I wish I thought like you! I should have waited. I just got the 7600GS and now the 8600GT will be out this week. I'll probably be returning the 7600GS to ZipZoomFly, unless any of you want to buy it from me, since it's a difficult card to find nowadays.

I also respectfully disagree with the review of the 8400gs not being a good card. For 40 bucks it's a fantastic card and plenty capable of playing Blue-Ray, HDTV, and High Definition 1080p video -- I guarentee it because I'm doing it myself.

It plays older games (last gen - perhaps 2 gen ago IE HL2, Doom3, Titan Quest, etc) with at 1680x1050 with medium settings and all settings maxed at 1280x1024 --- quite playable on my system.

I'm currently playing through WarHammer - Dawn of war at max resolutions at 1280x1024 and it's PERFECTLY smooth (except oddly enough in in-game cutscenes - there is a slight hiccup - but gameplay is butter smooth)

I have a link on the 8400gs wothiness here

http://www.compusabusiness.com/prod...1&D=xfx+bracket&Ntk=All&product_code=52453620

Now --- all this being said....

As soon as I can get my hands on an 8600gt --- I will. I'll pass the 8400gs on to my wife...to replace her 7300gs.

Surprised to see the 8400gs perform that well. Good to see it too since my lcd monitor's native is 1280x1024.

Have any of you tried or heard of the x1550? It's no 8600gt, but it's priced around the same as a 8400gs, and I wonder if it's better/worse.

I'm probably going to hold off on the $140 8600gt until I find a game I play that can use all that power (right now I'm playing a game called Mount&Blade which doesn't need that much graphical power, and CNC3 ill be happy with medium-high settings) and more retailers start carrying it to hopefully cut its price down; so that's why I'm looking into the 8400gs/x1550 for now.

Another thing, I've found this GDDR3 version of the x1600 pro, which is priced lower than the 7600gs, and looks like it'd be better. Any thoughts?

Surprised to see the 8400gs perform that well. Good to see it too since my lcd monitor's native is 1280x1024.

Have any of you tried or heard of the x1550? It's no 8600gt, but it's priced around the same as a 8400gs, and I wonder if it's better/worse.

I'm probably going to hold off on the $140 8600gt until I find a game I play that can use all that power (right now I'm playing a game called Mount&Blade which doesn't need that much graphical power, and CNC3 ill be happy with medium-high settings) and more retailers start carrying it to hopefully cut its price down; so that's why I'm looking into the 8400gs/x1550 for now.

Another thing, I've found this GDDR3 version of the x1600 pro, which is priced lower than the 7600gs, and looks like it'd be better. Any thoughts?

You might ask these guys what they think of the 1600pro

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1068348

Or perhaps just head out to tomshardware and look at the VGA charts...

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=737&model2=856&chart=318

It looks as though over-all the 1600pro is slower than the 8500gt. Tom's VGA charts doesn't list the 8400gs, but the 1600pro should be faster than the 8400gs.

The 8400GS has the native HD decoding abilites and directx10 capability. Plus I prefer Nvidia drivers personally.

Archaea, did you ever figure out what caused the power failure was it Heat or power supply issue.

Archaea, did you ever figure out what caused the power failure was it Heat or power supply issue.

I'm thinking the power supply is overloaded when everything is working at full tilt.

That is my suspicion

During encoding of minidv to AVI - everything would be working at close to maximum power draw.

I further confirmed my suspicion by changing the power settings under vista from the default - green energy mode, to full performance under power mgmt. This makes everything run at full performance mode with no power mgmt settings in place.

The machine shutdown literally in about 3 minutes. Not reboot. Not gracefully - but full out shutdown.

I have a feeling I will need to go back to a 45 watt CPU to keep everything working correctly. Which stinks, because I just sold my x2 3800+ 45 watt CPU on the boards here for 50 bucks, and I can't replace it for that.

Now --- bear in mind that I've played games with this system for hours with no shutdowns...so the games must not be taxing everything out to max power draw. :confused:

I can still use the PC in green energy mode without any problems and it works perfectly.

The only thing I can surmise is either the heat gets too great with everything at max tilt, or the power draw becomes too much for the 160 watt PSU.

I've only had it shut down twice now, but both were in full power draw modes.

As I discover more I'll let you know.

Archaea, I heard the PSU for the slimlines are hard to replace, but I wanted to know if the PSU has the normal 24 or 20 connector to the motherboard. if so may want to try this little trick. Dual PSU. I have used it in the past for a SFF and had a 7800GTX that suck too much power for the main psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995002

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian-Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter.html?tl=g11c28s91

I would use the main PSU for Motherboard/Video card use and the secondary PSU for Harddrive/DVD-drive and possible a small case fan. that an added 110w to a160w. for a total of 270W. Hope this infomation works.:D

Archaea, I heard the PSU for the slimlines are hard to replace, but I wanted to know if the PSU has the normal 24 or 20 connector to the motherboard. if so may want to try this little trick. Dual PSU. I have used it in the past for a SFF and had a 7800GTX that suck too much power for the main psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995002

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian-Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter.html?tl=g11c28s91

I would use the main PSU for Motherboard/Video card use and the secondary PSU for Harddrive/DVD-drive and possible a small case fan. that an added 110w to a160w. for a total of 270W. Hope this infomation works.:D

I love your thinking :) -- But there's no room in this slimline case for another PSU - period...it's cramped and hot as it is.

In regards to the PSU motherboard connector it is not a normal ATX style 24/20 pin connector...it is a micro-sized - perhaps unique and not a standard of any sort ???

I think I perhaps have two options with this.

Buy a small micro case like the micro fly.

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=13&pPath=439&productID=439

Which may not be the best avenue, because the ASUS motherboard has that same proprietary power connection that limits the PSU upgrade in the slimline case.

I actually think my best option is just buying one of the 45 watt CPUs again. :(

I think you could have any two of the three.

65 watt CPU (EE x2 5200+)
8400GS
2GB PC6400

or you can have all three if you aren't stressing your PC to the max and it's worked perfectly for a couple weeks on normal daily use even gaming!!!!....But it appears you can't have all three on the 160 watt under full power draw.

I think I'll order the AMD BE-2400 today - perhaps get it by the end of this week and sell my AMD x2 5200+

If you have your druther on the upgrade options...I'd say the 2gb of RAM and graphics card update would be the best. An X2 3800+ CPU or X2 4000+ would be perfectly adequate for anything...

:cool: --- I just like pushing things to their limit!

I still don't understand it completely?

You'd think playing a game would cause it to overheat/shutdown???

I just got done playing Warhammer again on Energy Green mode or whatever's stock for a couple hours and no lockup?

Try doing a stress test. Prime95 works, as does SiSoftSandra. I would recommend monitoring your core temperatures. SiSoftSandra doesn't display the correct temps. Core Temp works well. What's nice about Core Temp is that it creates a log file of all the temperatures (you can set the refresh interval).

It also may be a good idea to try to recreate the problem. I actually have had a blue screen once on my computer. Vista says the problem was "OS Stopped Working".

Oh, speaking of which, perhaps Vista can shed some light on what happened. In Control Panel, open Administrative Tools. Then open Reliability and Performance Monitor. Click on Reliability Monitor on the left column and you can view all the problematic events that occurred, sorted by date and type of failure.

I procrastinated way too much.
Looks like it's sold out now.

For those who have it (and hoping it becomes on stock again) anyone use it for Photoshop CS3?

I have the 3120n from Staples. I tried an hd-dvd on it via 360 HD-DVD drive and it wouldnt play smoothly.

I ordered a 8400gs with the low-profile kit and I am getting it tomorrow. It better play back my HD-DVD's flawlessly or else!

Back