Starfield

Starfield's over-reliance on fast travel makes it feel tiny, but it's just part of a larger problem

Space, in Starfield, is merely a container for worlds, and we just have to assume there's absolutely nothing of interest between them...the main quest is all about the wonders of space exploration, and even the aesthetic reinforces this, much of it inspired as it is by NASA...but space itself goes largely unexplored, while planetary exploration is a horrendous chore, where the grand scale is merely an illusion
This makes absolutely zero sense, it is not a critique of Starfield, but a critique of space itself. I mean space exploration was always about exploring other star systems, not the empty space between them.

And the author must be mistaking the scanning of plant life and fauna with exploration itself, you can explore without doing the scanning chore, I do that too, I see absolutely no reason to scan everything like a zombie, I just land on planets look around and if I like what I see I might walk around a bit, then get back on the ship and leave. I found a bunch of outposts and some interesting things this way.
the points of interest you'll encounter are just carbon copies of a strangely small number of structures, where everything down to the clutter looks exactly the same...if there are enemies, they'll almost always belong to one of three factions, who look and function so similarly that they might as well all be part of the same club...like the over-reliance on fast travel, this too contributes to Starfield feeling tiny, because there is so little to differentiate each world from the next one...you'll find the same farms on completely barren moons that you will on lush, verdant worlds...there's nothing compelling me to explore
Perhaps at 22 hours I did not play the game enough but so far I have not detected any repetition of buildings or structures. (Unlike in our beloved Mass Effect) as for enemies, yeah there are only a few hostile factions, so it is inevitable that enemies willl belong to those. If I must criticize something it is the lack of friendly settlers. It wouldn't hurt to find more non-violent people on the frontier.
Bethesda argues that Starfield's desolate worlds capture the reality of space. "When the astronauts went to the moon, there was nothing there," Ashley Cheng recently told the NYT. "They certainly weren't bored." It's a pretty weak defence. First of all, Starfield is not a realistic simulation of the cosmos. It's a universe where space cowboys and magical artefacts exist. Bethesda is not beholden to reality, clearly, and the primary purpose of Starfield is entertainment...

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfields-...l-tiny-but-its-just-part-of-a-larger-problem/
I bet if you bumped into something at every turn then they'd be complaining about "space is too crowded and this makes the game feel tiny"

I'm thoroughly entertained by Starfield so far, and if I have to disagree with some mainstream journos there is nothing new there.

Lol that makes no sense as pirates are the reason we have DRM in the first place. So again, just like was said previously, pirates will always make an excuse for everything they steal.
You are also incapable of reading past the first full stop? Must be an epidemic.

I bet if you bumped into something at every turn then they'd be complaining about "space is too crowded and this makes the game feel tiny"

I'm thoroughly entertained by Starfield so far, and if I have to disagree with some mainstream journos there is nothing new there.

you continuously confuse criticism with hate...you can criticize aspects of a game and still like it...PC Gamer reviewed the game and gave it a score of 75...not terrible...not everything needs to be a perfect 10 in order to be considered a good game...

I hear that unlike previous Bethesda games Starfield starts out really slow and takes around 10-12 hours to get good...
Have you played previous bethesda games? This one probably has the shortest intro mission of them all. At least you don't have to sit on a cart then wait out a whole execution ceremony. I'd say this gets good as soon as you get your ship and join constellation, which is 2 hours max.

Have you played previous bethesda games? This one probably has the shortest intro mission of them all. At least you don't have to sit on a cart then wait out a whole execution ceremony. I'd say this gets good as soon as you get your ship and join constellation, which is 2 hours max.
Even fallout 3/4 have a pretty long intro, and even once you finally leave the vault it takes a while to finally get to the first big settlement.

you continuously confuse criticism with hate...you can criticize aspects of a game and still like it...PC Gamer reviewed the game and gave it a score of 75...not terrible...not everything needs to be a perfect 10 in order to be considered a good game...
That's actually my line. I say that all the time. I'm just calling out what I see as unfair or hypocritical criticism. I don't think the game is 10/10 either, I'm not even sure what it is yet, but definitely not 10/10 due to the typical weak Bethesdaesque main story.

Even fallout 3/4 have a pretty long intro, and even once you finally leave the vault it takes a while to finally get to the first big settlement.

as soon as you leave the Vault is when it got really good...you don't need to reach the first big settlement...you can go in any direction and explore, get side quests etc

Nothing was missed. Your "points" were just more excuses.. I mean seriously, you tried calling it a cause?
Missed or ignored same difference, yes I called it a cause, what is your point? Or do you actually not understand the difference between "a cause", and "the cause"?

Missed or ignored same difference, yes I called it a cause, what is your point? Or do you actually not understand the difference between "a cause", and "the cause"?
You said it as if it was some cause they were championing or united by, not a cause as in a reason :p. That's utterly absurd.

in some instances DLSS was also better than native- I think Death Stranding was one example
DLSS is better than native and FSR in this game. Image stability (distance light source shimmering behind props/foliage etc, and general temporal stability in the distance).

Lots of comparison videos online up to 4K.

That's why DLSS being missing out of the box was such a big deal but now we have both DLSS 2 and DLSS FG for those that need FG. I'm using just DLSS 2 in preset D at 75% render scale (Quality). It looks superb:

View: https://imgur.com/a/3ZQJy3R

DLSS is better than native and FSR in this game. Image stability (distance light source shimmering behind props/foliage etc, and general temporal stability in the distance).

Lots of comparison videos online up to 4K.

That's why DLSS being missing out of the box was such a big deal but now we have both DLSS 2 and DLSS FG for those that need FG. I'm using just DLSS 2 in preset D at 75% render scale (Quality). It looks superb:

View: https://imgur.com/a/3ZQJy3R

I'm using PureDark DLSS mod, and honestly I'm a bit disappointed. I find the blur disappointing. At default 0.70 sharpening its just bad. Up it a little to 0.85 or 0.8, and you replace the blur problem with more pronounced noise.

I'm using PureDark DLSS mod, and honestly I'm a bit disappointed. I find the blur disappointing. At default 0.70 sharpening its just bad. Up it a little to 0.85 or 0.8, and you replace the blur problem with more pronounced noise.
Did you turn off dynamic resolution? I think it's on by default and will lover the rendering resolution bellow what you set, if FPS drops .

Yeah turn off DR and VRS. DLSS is better than FSR/Native in this regardless of resolution and there's virtually no difference in sharpness.

Here are my settings:

Starfield_2023_09_05_22_13_26_452.jpg

Did you turn off dynamic resolution? I think it's on by default and will lover the rendering resolution bellow what you set, if FPS drops .

Yeah, it is off.

I even upped it from 75% scaling to 85% scaling to try to improve it a little. It helped a little bit, but not much.

Yeah turn off DR and VRS. DLSS is better than FSR/Native in this regardless of resolution and there's virtually no difference in sharpness.

Here are my settings:

View attachment 596395

The instructions I found told me to set the Upscaling method to CAS (I think it is? the other one available) when using the DLSS mod, otherwise you wind up applying both DLSS and FSR filters, with a performance hit.

I don't know how it works internally though. That's just what I read.

The instructions I found told me to set the Upscaling method to CAS (I think it is? the other one available) when using the DLSS mod, otherwise you wind up applying both DLSS and FSR filters, with a performance hit.

I don't know how it works internally though. That's just what I read.
Which DLSS mod was that? The one I and most others are using states to enable FSR in game as the DLSS replaces FSR, the sharpness slider does nothing as it's disabled and controlled by DLSS. Pressing the End key pops up the dialogue to set the DLSS settings (see my screenshot posted earlier).

30 minutes left for us normies. I've never been so excited to be so disappointed!

Most reviews I’ve seen are complete horseshit and had unrealistic expectations. If you’ve like any prior modern Bethesda game this game is like crack.
I wish I could agree. So far it’s just really disjointed.

Most reviews I’ve seen are complete horseshit and had unrealistic expectations. If you’ve like any prior modern Bethesda game this game is like crack.

so any review or any person that has played the game (and in a lot of cases finished the game) and makes complaints or is disappointed has never played any Bethesda game before and is wrong?...they don't know what they're talking about?...of course expectations were high...those expectations were from fans of Skyrim, Fallout etc and from interviews they gave where they seemed to oversell the actual details of the game

nothing wrong with being disappointed...doesn't mean it's a terrible game...it sounds like an 8 at best...nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with liking the game more than others but to continually ignore other peoples valid complaints or rationalize everything is silly...

What I don't understand is how a game that looks like it was made in 2016 is so heavy on modern system resources.

Of course I guess that's what happens when you only shoot for 30fps on a console.

Bethesda certainly didn't shoot for the stars did they?

so any review or any person that has played the game (and in a lot of cases finished the game) and makes complaints or is disappointed has never played any Bethesda game before and is wrong?...they don't know what they're talking about?...of course expectations were high...those expectations were from fans of Skyrim, Fallout etc and from interviews they gave where they seemed to oversell the actual details of the game
Do you think expectations would have remained high for the game if Bethesda said that you will struggle to maintain 60fps on high end hardware?

Do you think expectations would have remained high for the game if Bethesda said that you will struggle to maintain 60fps on high end hardware?

expectations were going to be sky high no matter what due to the fact that it's a Bethesda open world game and it's been 8 years since Fallout 4...I don't count Fallout 76 (even though I hear it has improved a lot since launch)...

nothing wrong with being disappointed...doesn't mean it's a terrible game...it sounds like an 8 at best...nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with liking the game more than others but to continually ignore other peoples valid complaints or rationalize everything is silly...
I have seen nothing in the game that was over sold.

And you would be taken a lot more serious if you posted valid complaints and not "this is what I wanted/expected" complaints over and over again.

The game isn't perfect, never will be, was never sold as such.

The disconnect from all these cry babies who wanted everything they think should be in the game not being in the game is astounding.

I have seen nothing in the game that was over sold.

And you would be taken a lot more serious if you posted valid complaints and not "this is what I wanted/expected" complaints over and over again.

The game isn't perfect, never will be, was never sold as such.

The disconnect from all these cry babies who wanted everything they think should be in the game not being in the game is astounding.

there are plenty of reviews that go into detail about what they feel is missing or why they feel it is disappointing...I don't need to link to them...just do a simple Google search...and yes expectations come with the release of Bethesda's first new AAA ip in forever...it's expected

Honestly a lot of this reminds me of discussions about how bad FO4 was back when it came out. Never took that serious either. Was also a great game, and that game had a huge amount of bugs at release that this one doesn’t.

Honestly a lot of this reminds me of discussions about how bad FO4 was back when it came out. Never took that serious either. Was also a great game, and that game had a huge amount of bugs at release that this one doesn’t.

the combat and lack of bugs is getting the most praise...so it's not like Starfield is getting terrible reviews...one of the reviews I read summed it up pretty well:

"I never felt excitement or awe, no goosebumps as my engines fired, no sense of grandeur as I set down on a new world. That's because despite cruising from one end of the galaxy to the other in Starfield, I never felt like I was really going anywhere"

And that's pretty much been my takeaway trying to play Starfield as a space sim enjoyer: stick to the quests, because none of my deeper space adventuring fantasies will be realized by fast traveling between systems for hours

What pulls me out of Starfield's star-hopping fantasy more than anything else is how my spaceship doesn't really feel like a spaceship—it's a teleporting house that I occasionally steer...

the combat and lack of bugs is getting the most praise...so it's not like Starfield is getting terrible reviews...one of the reviews I read summed it up pretty well:

"I never felt excitement or awe, no goosebumps as my engines fired, no sense of grandeur as I set down on a new world. That's because despite cruising from one end of the galaxy to the other in Starfield, I never felt like I was really going anywhere"

And that's pretty much been my takeaway trying to play Starfield as a space sim enjoyer: stick to the quests, because none of my deeper space adventuring fantasies will be realized by fast traveling between systems for hours

What pulls me out of Starfield's star-hopping fantasy more than anything else is how my spaceship doesn't really feel like a spaceship—it's a teleporting house that I occasionally steer...
That’s his opinion. However, he’s just wrong. I’ve got a lot of time in pretty much every space game. Anyone coming into this expecting space sim is deluded.

And I’ve gone over the loading thing. It’s an idiotic opinion unless you’re comparing this to SC which is a game that will never release anyways.

there are plenty of reviews that go into detail about what they feel is missing or why they feel it is disappointing...I don't need to link to them...just do a simple Google search...and yes expectations come with the release of Bethesda's first new AAA ip in forever...it's expected

In the end, what matters is when we play the game, we form our own opinions in our own words instead of what is said by someone else; reviewer or other players.

Each and every one of us are different and have different expectations. I'm playing Starfield for what it is, not what it could be, and having a blast as I don't look at what is wrong but what I can do within the boundaries of the game.

As of this moment, I have yet to see any game breaking bugs. Then again, I'm not really looking for them either. I'm having fun and isn't that what playing a game is all about?

Back