Starfield

Yeah I figured it would be something like that, I tried a few times and had it consistently so just moved to my Series X

Bit annoying but I’m too old to start spazzing out about it. I get a comfier chair to play now, it’ll get fixed at some point soon I’m sure.

Just need to tell my daughter that no she can’t use the TV as daddy has important space business to deal with

Have you tried disabling SMT? That sometimes helps on my 3960x

Microsoft owns this game and Windows Auto-HDR doesn't even work------------except, if you rename the exe to Farcry4 or something. Lemme get the details.

From a user on SpecialK Discord:

janky method to use autohdr is to make a copy of the starfield exe, rename it farcry5.exe and set steam to launch the new exe. Autohdr worked for me that way

In the launch options "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starfield\farcry5.exe" %command% edit the exe path as needed

I'd be curious what kind of framerates you are getting with the 3960x. You feel it is holding you back at all?
Haven’t felt it with the 90 minutes I played, I do get it in some other games though. Digital Combat Simulator for example suffers for my poor threaded performance, VR literally pops up saying CPU bound.

It’s a workstation though, the fact it plays games is almost incidental and given the amount of time I get to play a gaming box would be silly. Though less power use would be nice

Here's another DLSS mod. This one doesn't include/force you to use Reshade.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/196

Another era of PC gamer's fixing yet again another Bethesda game that took a decade to create.
so-it-begins-raining.gif

Everyone should take a deep breath because we all know what we get with Bethesda games. There will be a bunch of issues and we are going to complain about those issues but they will be fixed in one way or another. So far I see the warts and I see the huge, I mean massive, potential for this game especially with mods. It's a game you will get lost in if you want to much more than any of their other games. It's not perfect by any means, I'm already seeing jank here and there whether it's graphics interface or controls; but it's still fun and the vibe makes me want to explore everything it has to offer.

Is it worth purchasing today or shall I wait till 6th? 7 from overhyped IGN and Gspot doesn't give confidence of it being a good game.

How’s the performance on PC?

I have a MSI Katana 15, mobile RTX 4070 8GB, Intel i7 13620H, 32GB DDR5 5200, 1 x Gen 3 x4 2TB and 1 x Gen 3 x4 4TB, 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Game is set across the board to high with motion blur at low. Game runs smooth as silk with the occasional, micro hiccup.

Is it worth purchasing today or shall I wait till 6th? 7 from overhyped IGN and Gspot doesn't give confidence of it being a good game.

With only 3 hours invested into the game, and it being 0348 in the morning :D , I can say with all certainty that I am loving this game so far. I'll be staying up to find as many side quests to get the credits needed to repair and upgrade my ship.

So far this is the most fun since Fallout 4. I will be putting serious time investment in Starfield. Whether or not I will surpass Fallout 4's 5800 hours remains to be seen.

Do you want to pay $82 or $58 dollars right now? Can you wait 5 days? Did you play any of their other games more than say 50 hours? If you've played their games you know how much time you will get out if it.

With only 3 hours invested into the game, and it being 0348 in the morning :D , I can say with all certainty that I am loving this game so far. I'll be staying up to find as many side quests to get the credits needed to repair and upgrade my ship.

So far this is the most fun since Fallout 4. I will be putting serious time investment in Starfield. Whether or not I will surpass Fallout 4's 5800 hours remains to be seen.
You can see the world of potential in this game right. They milked Skyrim for how many years, double that for this.

You can see the world of potential in this game right. They milked Skyrim for how many years, double that for this.

Heh, I planned on getting BG3; now I am not so sure considering the world of possibilities within Starfield. As of right now, I'm investigating the modding capabilities Starfield presents. Gameplay mechanics, visual enhancements, etc. Many mods on Nexus Mods already exist so I am avoiding reinventing the wheel. Unless that wheel is wobbly.

Heh, I planned on getting BG3; now I am not so sure considering the world of possibilities within Starfield. As of right now, I'm investigating the modding capabilities Starfield presents. Gameplay mechanics, visual enhancements, etc. Many mods on Nexus Mods already exist so I am avoiding reinventing the wheel. Unless that wheel is wobbly.
Bg3 is a completely different game. Don't get me wrong it's fun but BG3 is a classic D&D RPG good for a few sessions and Starfield is a sandbox that will have a million things to play with. It's weird because the base games are opposite, BG3 has a ton of options built in and Starfield/Bethesda base games are linear in story but the mods change eveything.

I’ve been skipping over all the negative Nancies because I was having fun playing it. People get so hard into the hate bandwagon before they even give the game a chance it’s crazy. I did the same thing with Cyberpunk and enjoyed 300+ hours before they even started fixing things, just ignored the crying and played the damn game lol

buy BG3 and get Gamepass for Starfield, that's exactly what I did. With Bethesda track record if I had to choose between the 2 I would BG3 any day over Starfield. I'm new to D&D and BG but have had an absolute blast in BG3, absolutely amazing game and very well polished.

My /. feed had something on this game. I've been skipping over this thread. I didn't even know what it was.

watched a few videos on mute, seems neat. I'm balls deep into Path of Exile and I doubt my 3070/5800X3D would keep up with it. maybe on the next upgrade.

X/Y mouse axis is also totally broken.
There are 4 different axis settings happening at once: First person regular, third person regular, and then ADS for both. They seem to have different X/Y ratios and there is no way to make them all 1:1 without one or two being broken.

So basically you have to decide if you want to play entirely 1st person or 3rd person, then balance your X/Y for that. Probably an INI edit to fix it, and with the right tweaking you can get them close enough to make the difference negligible, I guess?

Code:
[Camera]
fFPWorldFOV=100
fTPWorldFOV=100
fDefaultFOV=100

[FlightCamera]
fFlightCameraFOV=100

[Controls]
fLookSpeedPitch=1.5000
fLookSpeedYaw=1.0000
fIronSightsLookSpeedPitch=1.995
fIronSightsLookSpeedYaw=1.33
bMouseAcceleration=0

Last edited:
I'm balls deep into Path of Exile and I doubt my 3070/5800X3D would keep up with it. maybe on the next upgrade.

For one, how dies your PC feel about you being balls deep in a game? :eek:

I can relate to you with a straight face, realizing everyone has their likes and dislikes, you are missing out on grea fun.

I'll extrapolate a little later once a couple of other side quests are completed.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
X/Y mouse axis is also totally broken.
There are 4 different axis settings happening at once: First person regular, third person regular, and then ADS for both. They seem to have different X/Y ratios and there is no way to make them all 1:1 without one or two being broken.

So basically you have to decide if you want to play entirely 1st person or 3rd person, then balance your X/Y for that. Probably an INI edit to fix it, and with the right tweaking you can get them close enough to make the difference negligible, I guess?

Code:
[Camera]
fFPWorldFOV=100
fTPWorldFOV=100
fDefaultFOV=100

[FlightCamera]
fFlightCameraFOV=100

[Controls]
fLookSpeedPitch=1.5000
fLookSpeedYaw=1.0000
fIronSightsLookSpeedPitch=1.995
fIronSightsLookSpeedYaw=1.33
bMouseAcceleration=0
INI hacking in 2023, thanks Todd.

I'm fine waiting for GamePass unlock on the 6th or whatever.

Proof that AMD paid off Bethesda, and put a $13B company into the corner. /s

Have no idea who this guy is, but I really like how he moves his camera around with his finger pointer to exactly what he is referring to.

He’sa school teacher that does this on the side, he does a pretty good job honestly I watch a lot of his stuff.

*gets ready to fire up Starfield* And so it begins...

Yes, it should have been a new engine with all the bells and whistles in the 2020s. No excuses for this. (referring to a number of comments)

I am sure I will end up agreeing with a lot of the criticisms.

The good news is: This is the basement. Technically not day one. I note that even the 7 and 75 percent reviews are talking about how they put in 90 hours at least and "barely scratched the surface" and are ready to put in another 90 hours. Clearly, this game is doing something right despite all of that. It's Bethesda. We all know what this is. ;)

We (note annoyed self inclusion) keep buying their games and letting them get away with it. (Even if you exclude the preorder arguments.) It is what it is.

Last edited:
Proof that AMD paid off Bethesda, and put a $13B company into the corner. /s

Have no idea who this guy is, but I really like how he moves his camera around with his finger pointer to exactly what he is referring to.
Following your train of thought, these results seems to show that Nvidia did not optimize their drivers yet for Starfield (considering Nvidia track record, in a conspirationnal way, this could suggest they did that on purpose to make an AMD sponsored game look bad for most GPU owners). AMD seemed to have done a better job with their driver optimization. In both cases, the game is the real culprit for this kind of abysmal results.

Kind of make sense now why advance RayTracing effects, or all the other bells and whistles, were not even considered to be included by Bethesda.

So now, I wonder, if I was in Bethesda shoes, what I would do is try to get FSR3 in this game somewhere down the line for another marketing burst in a few months. Maybe even add DLSS at another time as well for some more media exposure.

Only real gripe I have so far beyond lack of HDR, is just the inventory menu. It's pretty garbage. Feels kind of like Skyrim in going back. Fallout 4 was at least passable. It just takes way too many clicks to get use items. Also it pisses me off that you can't just eat food / use consumables without putting it into your inventory first.

You can tell this thing has been in development since like 2016, but at least it's solid. I really am not seeing all of the bugs like early Skyrim and Fallout 4.

*gets ready to fire up Starfield* And so it begins...

Yes, it should have been a new engine with all the bells and whistles in the 2020s. No excuses for this. (referring to a number of comments)

I am sure I will end up agreeing with a lot of the criticisms.

The good news is: This is the basement. Technically not day one. I note that even the 7 and 75 percent reviews are talking about how they put in 90 hours at least and "barely scratched the surface" and are ready to put in another 90 hours. Clearly, this game is doing something right despite all of that. It's Bethesda. We all know what this is. ;)

We (note annoyed self inclusion) keep buying their games and letting them get away with it. (Even if you exclude the preorder arguments.) It is what it is.

I can’t even imagine what it would take to build a brand new engine from scratch that would be capable of doing Bethesda-style games. It would be nice to have something with all the modern bells and whistles, but I doubt it’s really feasible. By the time something like that would be built we would have all new modern bells and whistles that we would be wishing existed in the game.

like this
I can’t even imagine what it would take to build a brand new engine from scratch that would be capable of doing Bethesda-style games. It would be nice to have something with all the modern bells and whistles, but I doubt it’s really feasible. By the time something like that would be built we would have all new modern bells and whistles that we would be wishing existed in the game.
It's certainly cheaper/easier to just use someone else's. Which is why tons of games will be using UE5. But JS used UE4 right when UE5 was coming out and it still looked great, so there's often lots of longevity still there even with not all the new bells and whistles.

like this
It's certainly cheaper/easier to just use someone else's. Which is why tons of games will be using UE5. But JS used UE4 right when UE5 was coming out and it still looked great, so there's often lots of longevity still there even with not all the new bells and whistles.
The amount of work they'd have to put in for their scripting engine into UE5 would be insane, and the bugs would be a whole new level.

The amount of work they'd have to put in for their scripting engine into UE5 would be insane, and the bugs would be a whole new level.
Not saying they should use UE5. Just comparing making your own in-house engine vs. using someone else's.

like this
From a user on SpecialK Discord:

janky method to use autohdr is to make a copy of the starfield exe, rename it farcry5.exe and set steam to launch the new exe. Autohdr worked for me that way

In the launch options "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starfield\farcry5.exe" %command% edit the exe path as needed

ROFL $400 million game in 2023 doesn't even have AUTO HDR support, let alone native HDR support. Then the stupid "they/them" pronoun selector, I have 30 minutes of game time left before I lose the ability to refund.

ROFL $400 million game in 2023 doesn't even have AUTO HDR support, let alone native HDR support. Then the stupid "they/them" pronoun selector, I have 30 minutes of game time left before I lose the ability to refund.
Auto hdr support is on Microsoft.

I'm enjoying the game but would refund if I could.
Wait a few months for mods, patches, sale.

like this

Refund it. Revisit it later.

I would recommend sitting on the fence *at least* until day one or past it if you have any doubts. Wait for news on updates, etc. Only reason I preordered was because I had a deal and some left over credit from another refund. I'll enjoy it for what it is but take everything under advisement.

I would not refund this game, and it is well worth the money from what i've played so far. This is not a Cyberpunk 2077 situation, no where NEAR. It's just missing some features that you'd expect out of a 2023 AAA title, but some of that, like lack of HDR support, is likely due to the thing just being old. At the end of the day this is a game that was first worked on starting way back after the release of Fallout 4. However, the level of polish this time around in a Bethesda game is pretty impressive.

I would not refund this game, and it is well worth the money from what i've played so far. This is not a Cyberpunk 2077 situation, no where NEAR. It's just missing some features that you'd expect out of a 2023 AAA title, but some of that, like lack of HDR support, is likely due to the thing just being old. At the end of the day this is a game that was first worked on starting way back after the release of Fallout 4. However, the level of polish this time around in a Bethesda game is pretty impressive.

I think this is a fair summation all told. Now if you will excuse me it's time for me to make some free time disappear in a flash. ;)

Just from seeing reviews the game engine looks 2006era with copy and paste flat looking grass, the game wasn't even on the Jacket's radar, but Jen has the the A100 to ask questions to on how to get Nvidia running better in Starfield

Back