Starfield

This guy is on the ball.
DLSS2 will be free.

Starfield might be easier than I expected
I just checked the Starfield's exe, it's very easy to find the FSR2 functions it seems.

I can maybe get DLSS2 working even before DLSS3, and with in maybe two hours I can get a basic functionality working.

And I am gonna release the DLSS2 version on nexusmods.

But DLSS3 still needs to wait, and will only be on patreon.

Nice. CTD first launch. Guess I'll try full reboot. Sign of things to come...?

I can't even remember the last time a game crashed on me.

Hmm, still saying it's not available even though I purchased the premium upgrade on game pass. I probably did something wrong.

I launched the Digital Art Book thing, it updated. I exited it. Then I tried launching the .exe with Explorer and now it's doing an update? Hmmm... it's progress.

EDIT: Looks like it's decrypting.

I played as soon as it came online, noticed a bug in the character creator where going to the next option resets the previous ones, but nothing game breaking.

It is... jarring to play a 1st person game in 2023 and not see your own body when you look down. Also, the monochromatic menus are a little hard to navigate when you're tired.

Those two things aside, it looks quite good for the creation engine and it runs buttery smooth at ultra+FSR with 7950X3D and 7900XTX, 1440p its hovering between 120-140fps. Movement feels good, weapons feel good, I'm pretty shocked at how far they've pushed this game engine that was born alongside dinosaurs. I had specifically avoided all news and videos of this so I could go in blind and an hour disappeared in an instant. Too bad its past bed time.

Got to the character creation and CTD. :meh:

Other annoyances... No native HDR or Atmos. Atmos is forgivable but no HDR? AutoHDR isn't as good.

DLSS, 50% render scale, 2880x1620 (DLDSR) just barely clinging on to 60fps for dear life.
Worst running game I've played on this system.

Got to the character creation and CTD. :meh:

Other annoyances... No native HDR or Atmos. Atmos is forgivable but no HDR? AutoHDR isn't as good.
I'm going to wait until I can unlock the game on 9/6, when I see that for myself, I'm refunding. What is this? A game for Switch? Lack of Atmos isn't terribly surprising, but no HDR is just lazy.

Unpacking is excruciatingly slow. I literally downloaded the game faster than it took to unpack it.

Unpacking is excruciatingly slow. I literally downloaded the game faster than it took to unpack it.

I see a lot of complaints about the unpacking time but I think it only took like 20-30 seconds for me. It was verifying that took longer.

Anybody find a way to change the FOV? Got tunnel vision here lol.

EDIT:
If you're looking to get some fps. Turn Shadow Quality, Volumetric Lighting, and GTAO down to Medium.

Last edited:
Anybody find a way to change the FOV? Got tunnel vision here lol.
Things like that missing in the settings is precisely why I wait before purchasing. So either Bethesda can fix it, or a modder can and there's less chance of official patches thdn breaking that mod. That's a pet peeve of mine having a narrow FOV. That's the kind of mediocre p c development that I think bethesda is guilty of, forcing players to edit .ini files for basic quality of life settings.

I haven't heard anybody say whether or not the UI looks like it is a console UI or not. I remember in skyrim how much better the UI looked after some changes from some of the more notable mods.

Things like that missing in the settings is precisely why I wait before purchasing. So either Bethesda can fix it, or a modder can and there's less chance of official patches thdn breaking that mod. That's a pet peeve of mine having a narrow FOV. That's the kind of mediocre p c development that I think bethesda is guilty of, forcing players to edit .ini files for basic quality of life settings.

I haven't heard anybody say whether or not the UI looks like it is a console UI or not. I remember in skyrim how much better the UI looked after some changes from some of the more notable mods.
Apparently the console FoV tweak does nothing this time. So the INI tweak also probably does nothing.

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-review/

75%. And the Bethesda jank is still there

Part of me was hoping Starfield's long years of development and 10-month delay would lead to a more polished experience. Nah. There's as much Bethesda jank on display in Starfield as there ever was. Most of it is harmless and occasionally comical: speak to someone while they're mid-stride and they'll often continue shuffling along while they talk, taking one slow, faltering step at a time, until they've walked almost all the way down a corridor or around a corner during the conversation. I stood watching a guy in a restaurant slowly drift through the table and chair and eventually through the back wall. Every single city I visit has one member of the security team dressed only in their underwear. (Or maybe that's not a glitch and they just take Casual Friday very seriously in the future.)
In terms of genuine, irritating bugs that get in the way of the playing, I didn't have all that many (this isn't a Cyberpunk 2077 launch situation, in other words). One space pirate got wedged behind the scenery on a space station, meaning I had to enable cheats to clip through a wall and finish him off to satisfy the quest. On two different occasions I was midway through a persuasion minigame when the companions of the person I was attempting to charm simply opened fire, even on successive reloads. I also had a few quest marker goofs where they pointed to the wrong location or didn't appear at all, typically solved by a restart, and one side quest refuses to advance even though it's pretty clear there's another part to it. On the plus side, in 90 hours of play I only had a single crash to desktop and a few loading screens that went on much longer than they should have. Starfield is plenty janky and a bit buggy, but I also found it extremely stable.

Screenshot_20230831-210448.png

So does Starfield have retarded looter shooter mechanics ie. colored/tiered weapon and armor loot from downed enemies?

Man the lighting & shadows are really detracting. Don't need the absolute state of the art with ray tracing etc, but damn seems like almost all lighting/shadows are static. Player doesn't even seem to cast a shadow, at least in first person.

People saying they're bored after around 60 min didn't read the reviews. They clearly state that it takes a bit to get going and really start enjoying it. They're gonna need 6 hours instead of 60 min. :rolleyes:

Back