Post Black Friday discussion goes here!

anyone know the damn site for the local ads for oh say ebgames by me in san jose california? or frys? Cause I didnt get to go friday and saturday, and now its 2 A.M "Sunday"
And at www.ebgames.com it says it has call of duty 30 bux with 10 dollars off...
I want to know if this is by where i live please...
whats the site?

BTW what kind of components are in those $99 Sempron computers they sold at Fry's? Remanufactured parts? ECS-PC Chips motherboards? And what OS?

Also if you do double or more rebates on the same product, dont mail them all out on the same day - they might all wind up at the rebate center at the same time.. Also use different sized envelopes, or have the address printed on one envelope, the other one hand written. I got away with it by sending one rebate home and the other to my (former) work address.

Instead of going to the Best Buy in Plano, Texas I decided to head north to McKinney and hit up the Best Buy there. I figured less population density would be better.

I got there at 4:20 AM and there was about 50 - 60 people ahead of me. Around 5:30 AM the Best Buy employees started to hand out the vouchers and I got voucher #24 out of 25 for one of the Toshiba laptops for the wife for Xmas.

It was pretty orderly and I was really glad that they handed out the vouchers. I thought it was gonna be a bumrush for those critters but I was wrong and lucked out (barely!).

All in all, it was pretty orderly. They tried to sell Norton, etc, but the employee that was doing it was not to enthusiastic about doing so. No hassles.

I paid for the laptop and got my $50 gift card (woo-hoo!) and went to my Dads and fixed a wireless problem he was having.

All in all, it was very orderly and BestBuy did a pretty good job of handling the large group of people. The voucher system worked like a champ. There were some people that were miffed that they didn't get one of the special items, but as they say, you snooze you lose.

Hahah auswipe, I went to Best Buy as well, luckily this city isn't as populated as other metro areas, and i just had to get my hand on that Toshiba laptop for $499 with no rebates. We were about #29 of 35, we got there at around 3:30am, to find about 200 people there already :\. Also got my $50 gift card :D

BillyG said:
BTW what kind of components are in those $99 Sempron computers they sold at Fry's? Remanufactured parts? ECS-PC Chips motherboards? And what OS?
All new parts inside. Of course it has an ECS motherboard inside, the computer is built by ECS.

It has this ECS motherboard: http://www.ecsusa.com/products/741gx-m.html , Lindows 4.5, maxtor 7200rpm hard drive, lite-on cd-rom, mitsumi floppy, etc. The keyboard, mouse and speakers are cheesy. But hey, it works and is relatively quiet. Definitely worth $99.99. I should have bought 2.

I went back to CompUSA last night and picked up one of the $99 200gb Maxtor HD's. No rebates it is truly a lovely thing :)

$50 for a 200 Gb WD HDD with the 8 Mb cache at OfficeMax.

Loads of free stuff there that was decent, a 64Mb flash drive and a 64Mb SD card, a SD card reader, 2.4 Ghz phone, 2 different 100 packs of CD-Rs, 100 jewel cases, a surge protector, 100 computer wipes, a PC toolkit, 4-in-1 pen, cd tower, 4 port USB hub, retractable phone cord...

Hell I don't have a use for much of it but it's all free. The bonus is that I showed up an hour after the store opened and still got in on everything, no lining up at 3 AM (why???), no lines in the store, no hassles at all except all the MIRs I have to mail out. ~$300 worth of goodness for free (plus the $50 for the 200 Gb drive).

pxc said:
All new parts inside. Of course it has an ECS motherboard inside, the computer is built by ECS.
It has this ECS motherboard: http://www.ecsusa.com/products/741gx-m.html , Lindows 4.5, maxtor 7200rpm hard drive, lite-on cd-rom, mitsumi floppy, etc. The keyboard, mouse and speakers are cheesy. But hey, it works and is relatively quiet. Definitely worth $99.99. I should have bought 2.

Doesnt sound too shabby at all, though ECS quality can be flakey. Upgrade the OS, memory and video card and you'll have a good backup computer. I hope it came with the ECS windows drivers disc..

the $99 pc consisted of

amd 2200+ sempron ECS board sis741
128mb Twinmos ddr pc2700
WD 40gb 7200rpm 2mb
250w psu i think
includes recovery disc for Linspire, and windows drivers cd seperatly
neat cabling inside for an OEM

pxc - there is no way this thing is quiet, the 70mm cpu fan spins at 4,000+ rpm, its so annoying,

all in all, its a great deal, the case was solid, not flimsy, a stick of 512mb + agp card would do this thing nicely

paulmofyourhand said:
pxc - there is no way this thing is quiet, the 70mm cpu fan spins at 4,000+ rpm, its so annoying,
With the case closed under my desk, it is "relatively quiet". I didn't say it was silent. I've built louder systems with stock CPU HSFs.

And I got a maxtor drive in mine as I mentioned above.

lopoetve said:
You're only gonna get one rebate ;)

They check the CC# on the purchase, so even with different address, you'll only get one

Do they check the BB transaction number? Because my dads name and the last part of his CC number only appear on the main reciept. Not that it matters for me, but next time I might want to pick up a couple of an item that has rebate offers on it.

Nuc_E said:
Do they check the BB transaction number? Because my dads name and the last part of his CC number only appear on the main reciept. Not that it matters for me, but next time I might want to pick up a couple of an item that has rebate offers on it.
It's still mail fraud and a felony regardless of whether they honor two rebates.

Nuc_E said:

I don't know how the map it, but I've seen them void many before for this.

I was #32 in line. :D

What I loved was a lady driving in her car to the front of the line @ 5:55AM to ask some BB employee outside if they still had the laptops - the employee flogged them pretty good.

"Umm, maybe if you were waiting in line 5 hours ago, yeah."
I loved the look on her face, and she just sped off.

anakin357 said:
I was #32 in line. :D

What I loved was a lady driving in her car to the front of the line @ 5:55AM to ask some BB employee outside if they still had the laptops - the employee flogged them pretty good.

"Umm, maybe if you were waiting in line 5 hours ago, yeah."
I loved the look on her face, and she just sped off.

Number 17 for the Kodak $149 digital camera. The ticket idea helped me hold my tongue when the doors opened and all the late people decided to get out of their cars and walk straight in.

The ticket idea helped me hold my tongue when the doors opened and all the late people decided to get out of their cars and walk straight in.

Shit like that really pisses me off. If people want to sleep late, that's their prerogative, but don't disrespect the people who have gone out of their way to ensure that they get what they want. That's why some people get their asses beaten at some of these sales.

Nuc_E said:
i dunno... but just as a precaution, next time dont get greedy, just get one thing at a time so theres enough for everyone else ;)

i was visiting los angeles (glendale) with my parents, and i told them beforehand that i wanted the 17" samsung monitor for $250AR from BB after the 2 rebates (originally $420)

got there at around 7:30, last one left. however, since i was so late, i had to wait in a line that wrapped around the store for about 1hr-1:30. it's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! do you guys think it was a pretty hot deal?

I am a Black Friday noob and this year was suppose to be the year I was gonna try to get some deals. Anyways, being stupid, I went out the night before and woke up at 12ish. I went to the local mall, BB, CompUSA, Staples, and all of the good deals were gone. GFG.

Good Lord the deals were HOTT!!!!

Too bad that I was at home (Ponca City Oklahoma), and the only maybe halfway decent store is a Staples, and even that sucks. So i didnt get anything good this year. Maybe they'll have some more killer deals after Christmas.

I really want some more harddrives and maybe a new vid card, or some dual monitors, ...

Oh well there is always next year...

Cangrats to everyone who got what they wanted!!!!

Thanksgiving morning my GGF (Geek girlfriend) and I picked up the paper and scoured the ads while the my aunt cooked up some turkey. We noticed that Best Buy (my place of choice last year) had $@#&-all for deals this year unless you were looking to buy big-ticket items. Since I didn't need two surround-sound systems, we decided instead to hit Office Max.

Our local store opened at 7:00, so we decided to get there around 6:00 and take our chances. As it turned out there was no one waiting at that point, although after a few minutes lots of cars showed up. We all stayed in our respective cars keeping warm until around 6:40, when some over-eager soul jumped out of his car to wait, forcing the rest of us to do the same. :mad:

By the time the doors opened the crowd had grown to around fifty people, but it was generally a good group. My GF and I discussed the game plan, and when the doors opened I shot for the 200 GB hard-drives and she went in search of a cart. The hard-drives were a "ticket" item, and the guy said "just come back for a hard drive once you're done shopping."

The guy next to my smiled and said "that's what they said at Best Buy."

"Well, you can ring it up right now."

I thrust out my hand. "Yeah, I'll ring out!" Everyone else did the same. I turned to go ring out, and the guy next to me looks at me, both of us holding hard drives.

"What's to stop us from just going and shopping?" he asked.

"Nothing at all." said I, and walked off with my hard drive to find my GF.

Seeing her head over the shelves, I waved her over. As she rounded the corner I said "we should find a cart and then look for..."

Her arms were overflowing with almost every other thing we came there to find. "To look for this stuff?"

"You are the hottest girl in the world, and not just because of all those CDRs."

We grabbed the last few items, checked out, and headed to Best Buy. One look inside revealed a retail wasteland and a line stretching back to the horizon. No thanks. Off to Sears for a gift or two for her family, and then back to my basement cave-apartment. We descended on our purchases like cavemen, cutting UPCs with savage joy. In short order we had every UPC in an envelope and ready to mail, and then crashed into bed again.

Purchases:

1x 10 Piece PC Tool Kit (for my GGF's LAN party bag)
2x 100 Pack Slim Jewel Cases
1x Deluxe 4in1 Stylus Pen (great gift for Mom)
1x iConcepts 6 Outlet Surge Strip (for my GGF's LAN party bag)
2x K-Hypermedia 100 pack CD-Rs
1x K-Hypermedia 50 pack DVD+/-R 4X Media (argh, no cases! Oh wait, I think I have a few extra...)
2x Micro Advantage 64MB USB Quick Drive (1 gift, 1 for me)
1x Western Digital 200GB Hard-Drive (destined for our eventual HTPC)

The USB drive already has been used as a home for Portable firefox, the web browser you can carry in your pocket. Neat...

Not a bad haul, and one that avoided the long lines at Best Buy and Fry's. I call my BF this year a success! :D

Man I wanted one of those 160GB drives from BB but I was stuck in a little podunk town for Thanksgiving and the day after :( .

I got some good deals at Best Buy in Louisville, CO.

But they still suck, waited in line for 2+ hours for the $199.99 AR emachines and then they say they have to check it out before they can sell it to us. It would take an extra hour BUT, they'll sell us pre-checked out ones for 29.99 extra and it has all the window's service packs AND free 30 days Norton Antivirus!!!! (woohoo :rolleyes: ) They absolutely refused to sell it to us unopened until a dude next to me in line and myself agreed to waive the 14 day return. Then, they tried to put the extra 29.99 on my receipt and I had to fight with them to take it off.

I got some good deals, but BB was damn shady that morning.

Overall, got the:
emachines2.66Ghz/512MB PC2700/80gb hd/17"CRT $199 AR
APC Back ups 725 19.99 AR
50 DVD+R 8x 3.99 AR
WD 160GB 29.99 AR

All for $328.46 (tax added in) after all the rebates come in.

compusa1.jpg
front of store
compusa2.jpg
side of building
The line wrapped from the front of the building around the side, to the back. I was literally behind the building near a dumpster.

I showed up at 5:55am to see this huge line. The employees were just coming out the door and passing out certificates for the $400 laptop. At 6am they opened the doors, and everyone filed in, in an orderly fashion, and quickly.

I went to straight to the videocard aisle and didnt see any 6800's!! "Shit!"
Then I looked around a little more and at the end of the next aisle saw 4 on the shelf. Grabbed one and stood in delight. I noticed someone hastily looking around the Nvidia cards... and comparing his ad... I called him over and asked "Is this what you're looking for?" He excitedly grabbed one, and then we both pondered buying 2 each and wiping them out completely. LOL

I then realized the check out line was already HUGE! so I ran over there and waited 40 minutes in line! :( Not bad though, round trip was only a little over an hour and I saved $100.

I checked it for missing caps... it has everything in place. Now I'm just trying to decide what to do with it. Either build a Shuttle XPC, or put it in my work PC.

You know, now that I think about it. I really should have bought the 6800 :/

spankus said:
I got some good deals at Best Buy in Louisville, CO.

But they still suck, waited in line for 2+ hours for the $199.99 AR emachines and then they say they have to check it out before they can sell it to us. It would take an extra hour BUT, they'll sell us pre-checked out ones for 29.99 extra and it has all the window's service packs AND free 30 days Norton Antivirus!!!! (woohoo :rolleyes: ) They absolutely refused to sell it to us unopened until a dude next to me in line and myself agreed to waive the 14 day return. Then, they tried to put the extra 29.99 on my receipt and I had to fight with them to take it off.

I got some good deals, but BB was damn shady that morning.

Overall, got the:
emachines2.66Ghz/512MB PC2700/80gb hd/17"CRT $199 AR
APC Back ups 725 19.99 AR
50 DVD+R 8x 3.99 AR
WD 160GB 29.99 AR

All for $328.46 (tax added in) after all the rebates come in.

HOLY FUCK ME RUNNING! Another Louisville person! You were in that line too?!?!!!

Woah, wait a sec... you were that dude also getting it waived...

You were there with your dad, weren't you?!?!! :D

Damn... small world!

Went into BestBuy, everything was sold out!
Went to compusa, got everything I was looking for...
100pk DVD-R's for $19.99
50pk CD-R's for $9.99 (not that [H]ard)
Audigy 2 for $39.99
Mad Dog 5.1 for $Free!
Maxtor 200GB for $89.99
NetGear WG511T 802.11g PCMCIA for $39.99

then I headed for OfficeMax where I picked up:
WD 200GB 8MB for $49.95 (Now that, is [H]ard!!!)
and a Leather Manager's Chair for $19.95

East Texas,

Had a lot of trouble finding the ads for the "awesome sales" The only clue I had about what was on sale was from insiders at walmart (and it wasn't that great) and what I read about online at bestbuy. After deciding I didn't wanna try and fight the lines and stupid people in Tyler or Longview, my wife and I (and a friend) decided to head up to Dallas to hit the plano fry's.

What a clusterfark!
Because our friend doesn't get off work until 11 pm, going up there to spend the night was out of the question, ergo, I just decided to forget sleeping and stay up all night :eek: Anyway, we leave for Dallas at about 2:45. It takes us 2+ hours to get there. Anyway, we're finally in line at about 5:15, and it was insane. The line was already wrapped around to the loading dock. Knowing what I knew about fry's, I was very worried we might not see a thing. Anyway, store opens up and we split. I went for a printer for my father and a portable DVD player. My wife went after the high demand stuff, the 150 dollar minidv camera and the GBA. My friend want after the DVD burners and the 99 dollar computer.

The printer was easy, there was a whole pallet of em. The DVD player was not. The back area was a war zone, with people screaming, etc. I got annoyed when I saw the DVD player isle ripped into peices, and so I found my friend, who had snagged 3 of the DVD burners. I decided to go back. After finally having to muscle my way through I got the DVD player. I finally met up with my wife, who had amazing managed to get BOTH the camera and the GBA (she's mean when cornered) and after waiting in line to get the 99 dollar computer (DISAPPOINTMENT, they ran out about 6 people in front of us, and it was supposed to be my little brother's christmas gift) we waited in the checkout line for what must have been 45 minutes, and finally walked out into the daylight.

About that time I realized I hadn't slept in 24 hours, and hadn't eaten in nearly 16, and it hit me. We barely made it home, but finally did.

And so that was our BF haul

We made a lot of mistakes. For one, next year we're taking a whole group, and spending the night up there. Also, we'll stop and get food on the way. That's of course if I ever do anything that insane again.

undyingshadow said:
We made a lot of mistakes. For one, next year we're taking a whole group, and spending the night up there. Also, we'll stop and get food on the way. That's of course if I ever do anything that insane again.
My wife did the exact opposite heading to Longview from Plano and back in the same day for a business meeting. I know what you went through. Great score on that GBA. You simply can not beat that price.

BestBuy dropped off my 52" TV today. I've spent the last couple of months watching a pink 13" Hello Kitty TV, so this monster will always be welcome in my home.

CIMG2413.jpg

CIMG2407.jpg

I used S-video to get my desktop on the TV, it is blurry as heck.
I'm using a 9800 pro. Do i need one of those AIW cards with the composite outputs to fix this? :confused:
Do those cards even have composite outputs?

First BF for me, planned on getting up at 4:30 then I didn't wake up til 6:30 so much for that, but I got most of what I was lokking for. I ended up going to Staples first (I live in a smaller town, had to travel a little ways to get to BB, COMP USA, Fry's etc) so anyways went there first for that Hard drive since I was worried that BB would be out, so me and my brother picked up one of the 160Gb Maxtors w/ 8mb cache each. I ended up trading him my free Soyo motherboard I got from Newegg and my old 80 Gb plus 20 cash for it ( he paid all of it and I get the rebates when they come in) So for about $25 after rebates plus my 80 I got 2 160's. Then I picked up some of thos DVD+R's for $2 or $3 after rebate and then headed on to every other electronics store within an hours drive. Went to Best Buy to see that they still had full stock of the WD 160's for 30, but I passed. My brother got one of the Belkin routers for 7.99 [AR] at Circuit City (I think thats where...?) Then we went to Fry's where I poked around for a few hours and eventually picked up one of there free Ultra 400 watt PSU's [AR]. And that's about all I ended up buying, but I've decided that I will be going every year now although deals weren't as as good as I expected I did end up with some really hot buys. Plus next year I'm camping out for a laptop ;) .

MeanieMan said:
BestBuy dropped off my 52" TV today. I've spent the last couple of months watching a pink 13" Hello Kitty TV, so this monster will always be welcome in my home.

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/689/CIMG2413.jpg[/IMG]

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/7659/CIMG2407.jpg[/IMG]

I used S-video to get my desktop on the TV, it is blurry as heck.
I'm using a 9800 pro. Do i need one of those AIW cards with the composite outputs to fix this? :confused:
Do those cards even have composite outputs?
Nice TV. If the TV doesn't have a VGA or DVI input, you're pretty much stuck with teh blurry.

I wanted to get one of the 160gigers from Office Max (or depot, where ever it was) but I didnt hear about the deal until late Friday cause our internet was out. So I called up the ISP and got a dialup number from them. Logged in and ordered a 120gig from Outpost for $30 AR. Not a bad deal, plus my mom bought it for me for helping her with a few things. Cant go wrong with free!

Yea, there was quite a few stores in the Cincinnati area that didn't have any business the day after thanksgiving. And some still have alot of the items still in stock in the store.

Back