Post Black Friday discussion goes here!

ScubaSteve

[H]F Junkie
Well, from the comfort of my home I ordered the $40 HD and $10 USB drive from Staples.

Now I'm off to see if CompUSA has any 6800s left, will post results later!

edit: OOS on the 6800s, I talked to an employee who said they had about 40-50 of them, but they were gone in the first 10 minutes.

He said they are getting a truck today tho, so if I try later, or just call, maybe they will have some. I'm not holding my breath ;)

In the mean time I picked up the 9600XT AIW for $125. I had actually already purchased the 9600XT on bestbuy.com yesterday for $100, but now I guess I'll cancel that order. The 9600 isn't as good as the 6800 obviously, but still a step up from my 8500 ;)

Advantage of living almost acrossed the street from Compusa. already got mine out of the box, ready to install!

Yep.. went online to ebgames and participated in the buy 2 used get 1 free.

Went out to get donuts and looked at the lines for the fun of it.

Nothing this year really tickled my fancy enough to blow a few hours of my life standing in line.

I just installed my new I/O Magic DVD Burner from Staples. :D

Picked up the Teon DVD+R's too. :D

Backup time!!! ;)

Just got back from Bestbuy in s florida and they had a classic bait and switch going on the laptop deal
They had 50 toatal. the first twenty five where sold at add price per there flyer. the rest where
opened by there tech dept(in advance before sale day) and was loaded with norton and some other crap and the price was jacked by $150

ps mine came out to $529 out the door because 3 suspisious looking yellow barcode stickers "fell off :D " on the way to the register.

Yeah! Installed and running, no gotta reboot after driver installation...
side note: Has anyone else noticed how big and *** this card has! I had to rearrange my hard drives to accomodate it, which required rerouting all my cables! Major pain, but I'd say it was worth it. ;)

frikkin staples.com is down :mad:

*edit, ok I am in but its SLOW and riddled with 404's

I was the first in line at my CompUSA this morning, at 3:00AM in the freezing cold. Fortunately I'd worn several layers of clothing. :D
Must not have been many geeks that showed up, most of the first 20 people were there for the cheap laptops...We all know what I was there for. There were ten PNY Geforce 6800 cards in stock. I got the one I needed. My friend got one for himself, and his wife got one for a friend of ours who couldn't make it in due to sports team practice (we both work in educational IT, and he's a student tech assistant). All the cards were in lockup due to their expense, and as most employees didn't know where they were, I worried that I might have been up at the front of the line for nothing. But all's well that ends well.

P.S. Took forever here for the line to get long...at 4:00AM we had four people...the line really didn't start getting going until five. I may have been a little cold, but a deal this good was worth it. My faithful Radeon 9700 is about to be replaced; I'll miss it a little but I can't wait to see what nVidia has done with the new card...and if I can use RivaTuner to successfully unlock the remaining 4 pixel pipelines. :)

Arg. Its so agravating. I want to take advantage of Staples deals too but it doesnt help that my internet was brought down to a crawl yesturday morning for some god for saken reason. About 50% of webpages time out and staples is one of them...

Arrrrr me plunder!

bf2004.JPG

$150 later and I no longer have a shitty 20GB HardDrive, I no longer need CD-R's, and I have a new game to play with :D

OMFG BLACK FRIDAY SUCKS....I fucking got to BB at 3am, I was 20th in line...6am comes around and people who just walked up bumrushed the door. So that was BS. Then I find out that the "Emachine Athlon XP 2800+ Computer w/ 15" LCD " I went for doesnt even exist. Now I got home and the bf sites have taken down the amd emachine. GOD DAMN Im pissed. F--- Black Friday.

I was only allowed to hit up one store of my choice, as my mom was wanting to go back home and to bed immediately, and didn't want to go to multiple stores. So I chose CompUSA. I picked up a nice 17" LCD, no DVI, but a 12ms response time, for $200. I also got an 802.11g router and laptop card for $10 each. I got a 512MB USB drive for $30. And of course, I picked up the 256mb stick of pc2700 ram for $10. I'm trying to convince one of my parents to take me back out in a bit, in an attempt to get another stick of ram, and check out the $30 160GB hard drive, and $3 50 pack of dvds at best buy, in the rare chance that there are any left.

I was at Best Buy at 7 am, but immediatly left after i saw a 1000 people online (and im not exaggerating the wait was estimated at 3 hours)...so i ran across the street to staples. Got myself The new logitech Cordless LX700 Duo for $30 bucks off ($70)....40 pack of DVD-Rs for $3.00 , and a laser fax machine for my bro-inlaw for $50 bucks off ($150)...im all good for the time being.

I am sooooo glad that I didnt let Best Buy get the best of me this year....

I almost thought about going for the $499 laptop deal (with no rebates) but I then asked myself was it really going to be worth it to stand in line for God only knows how many hours for something that I knew I was going to sell and MAYBE make $100 at best?

nope.... a lightbulb turned on inside my brain and told my ass to stay home this year because there isnt anything in any stores this year that I either really needed or wasnt worth my time.

thank God...

I went down to Staples and it was already out of stock, so I came back and tried to order online and it won't add to my cart! :( I could taste the burner!

Hit Best Buy up here in Cache Valley. I drove by at 2:30AM on the way to take a coworker his completed computer and nobody was there. On the way back at almost 4, there were like four people. By the time I returned home, got my phone and returned, I was like 47th in line.

they were handing out flyers and I got one for the laptop and gave it away to a guy. All I was interested in was the D-link kit, initially. But as I looked through the ad, the hard drives seemed more and more like a good deal.

My brothers-in-law showed up to snag the 17" Mag monitors and were successful. I managed to get in the store and grab two of the 160GB WD drives and was pointed to the router that was my initial target. Then I set off looking for the thumbdrives. Found the 256MB ones but the 512 were nowhere to be seen. Asked some BB chick where the flash cards were and went to get a 512 of SD and CF. Had to go to a cart to get the SD card. Nobody else knew about it at the time.

While I was in line, BB chicks were walking around with various things like thumbdrives. I spied a 512 in the basket and got it, letting my 256s go and deciding not to get the CF card.

All in all, it was a successful take.

I got to Office Depot at 6:15 and wondered if they were open. Got the Microsoft wireless desktop set for $14.99AR, the Brother label maker for $9.99AR and the cheap-ass speaker set for $7.99

Went over to Compusa and there were a few more people in line. I got the DVD copy software I wanted for $9.99, the 100 DVD-R's for $19.99 and then on impulse got the 3 30-packs of Memorex CD-R's for $9.99

Next year I'll definitely have more money to buy high-dollar items.

I completely avoided Bestbuy and Fry's because I knew they were gonna be zoos. I talked to one lady at Compusa and she said the line at Bestbuy went around the back of the building and halfway across the back.

Got to work and hit the web and what do i see a 160gb drive from staples for 40 (AR). Then got a 256 pny pen drive and didnt even have go and wait in the cold.

My buddy Peter and I went to CompUSA about 3am. There was one other guy there when we got there. We all waited in our cars until someone actually got into line (about 45 min later). I think they only had 4 6800's. Us 4 guys in the front of the lines grabbed those. After that I didn't care for anything else. Went up to ACE and got some of those batteries. Other then that I was home by 7:30.

Circuit City online, ordered the BF deals yesterday with free shipping... and everything has already shipped :eek:
Belkin 802.11g router $7.99AR
SanDisk 512MB SD card $29.99AR (gonna return)
Cheap progressive scan DVD player $17.99AR

CompUSA online, like above but with penny shipping... all in processing
PNY 6800 $199AR
2 x PNY 512MB SD cards $29.99 each no rebates
WinTV Go Plus $19.99AR
500VA UPS $9.99AR

Fry's this morning:
$99.99 Sempron 2200+ computer system no rebate
Canon iP1500 printer $FAR w/computer purchase above
Airlink WiFi 802.11g router + PC Card + PCI card $38 no rebates
Duron 1.6GHz + motherboard $39.99 no rebate
1GB dual channel PC3200 Corsair kit $99.99AR
BTC 8x dual format DVD burner $29.99 no rebate
WD 200GB hard drive $48.99AR
HP PS435 3.1MP digicam $47 no rebate
512MB Kingston SD $9.99AR
GBA SP bundle (GBA SP + 2 games) $56.99 no rebate
Avermedia EZ DVD Maker PCI $9.99AR

Two goods things about Black Friday for me, my wife works at Wal Mart and my Mother-in-Law and Sister-in-Law love to go there on Black Friday. We were able to get 20% due to the fact that my wife works there so we picked up a Kodak 5 megapixel camera (I'm not sure of the model number right now) for $150 and a couple of 128MB SD cards for $15 each. The best part of it all is I didn't even have to get out of bed to get it WOO HOO!

Maybe next year we will be in a cash position to get some really cool stuff.

Went to best buy and didnt even bother looking for stuff. I got there too late and the lines were unbelieveable.

Went to staples, got the dvd-rs for 18, mail in rebate makes it 3 bucks. for some reason the online rebate isnt working for the dvd-rs, anyone else having the same problem?

Oh man, did I ever get up early today.

I have been looking into buying a notebook for research stuff so I can work in the peace and quiet of the library instead of the noise of my office/ someone's aerosol lab.

So, I got to BB at 3:00 AM to wait in line for one of the Toshiba's. I was number two as far as the tickets for them went. Good thing I did get there early. The group of people that arrived after me cleaned them all out.

Made a beeline for the D-Link Router / Wireless card kit and snagged two, one for me and the other for my dad. Got the notebook and after a snafu with financing, left the store. 25 minutes. Not too shabby. Then we went over to Office Max so my dad could pick up the DigiCam he wanted.

Got a pleasant surprise. Since I spent between $500 and $1000, I got a $50 gift card for free. Probably will use it for christmas shopping or a TV that I could use.

Ate breakfast and got home by 8:00 after stopping at Staples. They still had at least a dozen 160gb Maxtors just sitting on a table and the store was relatively dead. I have enough HD space and spent enough money today so I passed.

The notebook is nice for the price. Can definately tell that the 4200rpm drive slows it down, but that can be remedied later on. I will have to add an additional 256mb soon.

pxc said:
Fry's this morning:
$99.99 Sempron 2200+ computer system no rebate
Canon iP1500 printer $FAR w/computer purchase above
Airlink WiFi 802.11g router + PC Card + PCI card $38 no rebates
Duron 1.6GHz + motherboard $39.99 no rebate
1GB dual channel PC3200 Corsair kit $99.99AR
BTC 8x dual format DVD burner $29.99 no rebate
WD 200GB hard drive $48.99AR
HP PS435 3.1MP digicam $47 no rebate
512MB Kingston SD $9.99AR
GBA SP bundle (GBA SP + 2 games) $56.99 no rebate
Avermedia EZ DVD Maker PCI $9.99AR

Damn. I wish they had a Fry's in Iowa. I would have skipped BB for those deals in a heartbeat.

pxc said:
CompUSA online, like above but with penny shipping... all in processing
PNY 6800 $199AR

shens? I looked at CompUSA but it said the 6800 was in store only, not even a button to add it to cart

ScubaSteve said:
shens? I looked at CompUSA but it said the 6800 was in store only, not even a button to add it to cart
josegarci.. i mean no shen. I ordered 10 minutes after midnight CST. Got the email too. From what I read on AT, I got it right before they switched it to in store only.

yeah so i woke up at 8, stumbeled off to circuit city, got the last pcmcia wireless-g gard for $4.99, grabbed a g router for $7.99, and a 256mb iriver mp3 player for $60. then i slipped over to best buy, and grabbed a $200 computer (the still had tons for some reason) and some cds for 4.99 (were marked at 9.99 but came up at 4.99)

got the 200GB maxtor HDD from compusa for 90 bucks (retail..so i got a warantee with it :D no $90 OEM shit from the egg) they had a whole pile of em left around 11 am :confused:
and i got 90 (3 packs of 30) cd-rs for 10 bucks
wish i had a dvd burner...100 dvd-rs for 20 bucks at compusa

at radioshack i got 2 dvd players.....20 bucks each AR (charged em seperatley so i can get both rebates :D)

I made it to BesyBuy just before midnight and this is where I ended up. :eek:
It has never been this bad...
midnight.jpg

By 4:30 am the line had exited Best Buy's parking lot and cut Wal-Mart's lot in half. Wal-Mart had to call the cops to start moving people out of the way of cars. This is everyone bunched up so they could start twisting the line. There are 700 people in the dark you can't see.
10588.jpg

These poor people fell asleep before the line was condensed :p
Sleepers.jpg

The hole in my wallet :eek:
Receipt.jpg

The bounty (minus one 52" TV) :cool:
bounty.jpg

Patches to fix that hole in my wallet
aftermath2.jpg

The day was a blast!

Office Max:

$20 Leather Managers Chair
$50 WD 200gb Hard Drive
$10 Belkin Wireless G Router
$0 64mb Pen Drive
$0 100 pack of slim CD jewel cases
$7.99 40pack of DVD-R

Staples:
$3 40pack of DVD-R
$2 40pack slim jewel cases

Went in Best Buy for the cheap DVD's. Line was about 500 people long so I just left my stuff and went home.

I was going to get up at 5 to make sure I got the DVD burners, but I picked up a better one on NewEgg on Tuesday for less than what anyone was offering and the specs were better, + newegg gave me a 5 pack of DVD's for free.

PawNtheSandman said:
Was it just me or did Best Buy not have so many great deals compared to last year?

Not just you. Most the people in the lines I took pictures of wanted the laptops.
No free stuff this year.

Fry's seemed to appear sucky, so we went to Best Buy around 4:30 or so and got a spot pretty close up compared to the 5:00'ers.

Not too bad.
I ended up buying the e-machine with the celeron for 199.00, and the 160gb hard disk. I also picked up a Back-UPS ES 725 UPS for my computer.

It made me laugh, some guys there had a HUGE bong. Like half my heighth and were smoking the magical tree on the corner in front of best buy with all the people around.

never got in trouble.

I got in on the deal of the $9.99 belkin wireless 802.11g router at officemax. I got rung out on one of those handheld card readers in the aisle I got the item.

Went to staples to pick up the 160gb hardrive and it rang out at $80.14.

The 160gb hd has an easy rebate at staples, which means you go to the stapleseasyrebates website and fill in the information to get the rebate mailed to you. It had $55.00 instant savings and a $35.00 easy rebate.

The wireless router had a $50.00 mailin rebate and another $10.00 mailin rebate to get it down to the $9.99

I arrived at officemax around 7:05am, drove around the parking lot 4 times and then found a parking spot. Gosh the line was from copymax winding through three aisles, another line from the registers winded through the back wall of the store. I looked across the street to Eastgate to see the mall overflowing into the grass near the mall. Yes people was parking in the grass to get to the mall.

I didn't feel much like getting up too early and waiting in line for deals I didn't really want all that much, but I got up at about 7, headed off to radioshack and picked up a 128 MB USB flash drive to replace my dad's that I lost, then swung around with some friends and stocked up on dirt cheap soda at KMart and Walgreens (59 cent two liter bottles of pepsi products, 5 for 10 12 packs, it's been a good day)

Didn't feel like waking up early or camping out...went to Staples around 10, they still had the 256mb pc2700 I was looking for for $25 AR...not a killing but not a bad deal either. Went to Fry's, which was HELL, I would never even consider going there again on BF unless I stayed the night. All the great deals were gone, most of what I saw was at regular price. Complete waste of time if you don't get there in time for their advertised deals.

I scoured about 4 store catalogs. didnt find any great deals that i wanted to stay online for hours and hours. I like that 50$ 200GB HDD deal from office max though. I didnt find anything super cool this year, i wanted to get a 15" LCD but didnt find that 1 that looked good. oh well, mayb ill wait till christmas and buy another dell LCD....

ShimmyT said:
I went to CompUSA about 3am. I think they only had 4 6800's.

that is such bullsh*t...

freakin' stores like Crap USA should be fined for pulling crap like that.

they damn well know that tons and tons of people are gonna be camping out at wee hours in the morning and yet they only had 4 freakin' 6800s?

good God.... :rolleyes:

Back