scored a cool free server from my moms work today :D
trying to find a camera for pics :(

its an old dell poweredge 2600. loud as hell :(
dual 2.4ghz fsb400 xeons w/ hyperthreading
2gb ddr ecc ram
1x34gb scsi 10k
5x74gb scsi 10k (in raid0 now :p)
cdrw/dvd combo slim drive
floppy drive (only one in the house now :p)

just installed win2k3 server on it. want to turn it into a media server to stream to the 360. however, im not sure if it can handle 1080p x264s, which is mainly what id do :(
before i can do that, i need to find a cheapo sound card (no integrated sound wtf)

if it works well, ill find a pci sata card and buy some hdds over the summer :D

i dont think you have to worry about it displaying x264, it just has to host them, the 360 will be the one decoding/playing it....

the 360 cannot decode x264 natively, so the rig would have to transcode it first (tversity) and then stream that. tahts the only reason im worried :(

i cant test it until i buy a sound card (hard to find a cheap one with 2k3 drivers). without a sound card, it wont transcode the sound, which is at a pretty beefy bitrate

scored a cool free server from my moms work today :D
trying to find a camera for pics :(

its an old dell poweredge 2600. loud as hell :(
dual 2.4ghz fsb400 xeons w/ hyperthreading
2gb ddr ecc ram
1x34gb scsi 10k
5x74gb scsi 10k (in raid0 now :p)
cdrw/dvd combo slim drive
floppy drive (only one in the house now :p)

just installed win2k3 server on it. want to turn it into a media server to stream to the 360. however, im not sure if it can handle 1080p x264s, which is mainly what id do :(
before i can do that, i need to find a cheapo sound card (no integrated sound wtf)

if it works well, ill find a pci sata card and buy some hdds over the summer :D

Are you planning on transferring the motherboard and such to a different case? The reason I ask is if you what you have now is hot swappable you cannot just throw in some SATA drives. You'd have to swap the backplane...which would be more money than it's worth.

Are you planning on transferring the motherboard and such to a different case? The reason I ask is if you what you have now is hot swappable you cannot just throw in some SATA drives. You'd have to swap the backplane...which would be more money than it's worth.

no im leaving it in the original case. id install the hard drives in the 5.25 bays (2 open). i have a pair of 3.5 to 5.25 adapters that i never used, so i figured i could use those.

or is it an issue with the software/hardware stuff (im new to all this, so i have no idea)

at worst, i could just get an external hard drive or two, shouldnt be an issue with that (besides speed), i think

EDIT:
here are pics of the front:

will get internal pics tomorrow, as i gotta move the monitor n stuff

As long as you mount them in the 5.25 slots you'll be fine. The hot swap bays are set up for SCSI, so SATA drives wouldn't work.

The other option is to look at some larger capacity SCSI drives...but those are pricey. The upside would be that you could use the existing controller and hot swap bays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...inPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=359:7829

Edit: BTW...you got hooked up on that deal. 7 drive plus the box itself =good chunk of change.

yeah i dont want to spend much money, so its easier to just buy sata drives

haha yeah, the office was junking 4 of the 2600s, and my mom and the group she works in was in charge of it. so they all claimed one of hte boxes. me n my mom went in early and raided the rest of the boxes for the hard drives :D

Nothing special, just an old dual PII 333 rig that's used for file backups at home. (One of two. The other one is collecting dust until I can put some more RAM in and find a second Voodoo 2 12MB to put in SLI, and then I'll go old school game nuts. :D)

server.jpg

server2.jpg

Haha, I had this exact system, did you get it or find it fro free ? if so it may have been mine hehe, I gave it away to a computer learning center, its great, but uses to much electricity, and considering any modern computer can do its function faster, and took alot of space, and I am sure you know and experienced, its really really hot. Man the memories though, when I fully scudded with like 6 SCSI drives, it was a beastie :).

http://www.evilnet.net/?page_id=8&lzkfile=WorkMachine/

Well, the rest of the stuff arrived today.

WorkMachine012.jpg

Here's everything except for the motherboard.

WorkMachine013.jpg

2 Terabytes(ish)

WorkMachine014.jpg

Phenomental cosmic power comes in pairs!

WorkMachine015.jpg

An up-close view.

WorkMachine016.jpg

It's a DVD writer. Big whoop.

WorkMachine017.jpg

It's a DVD writer. Big whoop.

WorkMachine018.jpg

It's a...is that SATA? =)

WorkMachine019.jpg

BIIIG motherboard box. Though, if you look at the image on the front, of this thing's big brother, that ain't NOTHIN!

WorkMachine020.jpg

Supermicro's internal packing list. YES! Everything was there.

WorkMachine021.jpg

And below that.

WorkMachine022.jpg

And below that....

Wish I could have gotten more pics as I was actually assembling it, but I was multitasking today. Answering calls while screwing stuff together.

WorkMachine023.jpg

Board in, drives in.

WorkMachine024.jpg

Side view.

WorkMachine025.jpg

Here's what I did with the extra wiring from the HSF.

WorkMachine026.jpg

Here's the front-face. Kinda underwhelming, I know.

WorkMachine027.jpg

And here's an overview.

More pics in a few minutes!

^ What motherboard is that? I have two Socket-771 SuperMicro boards. One of them also has two E5310 [email protected]. I hope you intend to OC...?

Here's a few more. Pretty much this is it. It's all together. All I have to do is put the lid on, and rack it.

WorkMachine028.jpg

WorkMachine029.jpg

WorkMachine030.jpg

WorkMachine031.jpg

^ What motherboard is that? I have two Socket-771 SuperMicro boards. One of them also has two E5310 [email protected]. I hope you intend to OC...?

Supermicro X7DVL-I

It's an Intel 5000 board. It's not the latest-and-greatest, nor the highest end, but it'd a decent board.

And yeah, these are 5310's. They'll only be running 1.6 though. This machine needs to stay stable (not "Power User Stable", but real, honest-to-goodness stable.

Supermicro X7DVL-I

It's an Intel 5000 board. It's not the latest-and-greatest, nor the highest end, but it'd a decent board.

And yeah, these are 5310's. They'll only be running 1.6 though. This machine needs to stay stable (not "Power User Stable", but real, honest-to-goodness stable.
Interesting, I have a Supermicro X7DVL-L (mATX) with 2xE5310s and a Supermicro X7DVL-E with 2xE5320s. Both are OC and running 2GB of memory each.

You can employ the tape mod to enable a default FSB of 1333MHz, which will bump up your processors to an even 2GHz. It's a very significant OC for both your processors and FSB. Here's the best part: it won't increase instability because the 1333MHz FSB will be utilizing standard dividers, therefore all your other components will still be running at standard speeds. The board will operate as if you installed 1333MHz processors instead of 1066MHz FSB CPUs. These processors can easily run close to 3GHz without upgrading the HSF, so there's absolutely no concerns with a low 2GHz clockspeed. I run OEM HSFs and my boards are OC @2.5GHz and 2.7GHz respectively.

I've been using that server case model for years. Both Antec and ServerCase (KRI) sell it (maybe others), and KRI also sells fan control boards that mount just behind and below the center 3.5" bays.

Lately I've been mounting 3x5 hot-swap sata cages from supermicro in the 2 front 3-drive bays and fitting delta 3-blade high-speed fans in the back of the case. Also replacing the sm 38x92 cage fans with delta 3-blade units. The server ends up making a bit of noise, but keeps temps down.

Nice build.

Well, one small hiccup.

I'd bought a case with a PSU that was only JUST able to handle the system as-built.

HOWEVER, I had another PSU on-site already that was more than enough.

Unfortunately, it was DOA (YAY! MAXIMUM FAIL!) :mad:

So I picked up another one. A nice little 750 from Coolermaster. No LEDs. A 120mm fan to suck heat off the motherboard. Life is good.

Ze machine! SHE LIVES!

WorkMachine032.jpg

Here's my HP J5600, 2x 552MHz, I need to get a J7600 sometime...it has 4...

j_open.jpg

front panel off (damn sturdy front panel too, weighs a few pounds)
j_front_panel.jpg

2 cpus needs 2 video cards right? These are FXes, the lowest of the FX range, I have another J5600 coming with 2 better ones (FX5, FX10 or FireGL)
J_FXe.jpg

inside on the processor side (I now have 5GB in 6 slots)
J_proc_side.jpg

J_procs.jpg

the 800 watt power supply is huge too, same size as 2 ATX stacked on top of each other.

Gah. Small case of "open rectum, insert head".

Turns out that this board (Supermicro X7DVL-i) doesn't enable the last two SATA ports in compatibility mode. Only AHCI.

Ah well. I'm a pro at reinstalling Windows. Maybe this can qualify for continuing education credit...

:mad:

Cesium, the sata drives should drop into the hot-swap bays just fine. I did the same thing with a Dell 6300. I would invest in the best 8x sata controller you can buy and scrap the backplane. Run the sata cables straight to the drives. The hardest part is powering the drives. I ended up making a wiring harness from the backplane's power cable. It is not the easiest thing to do, but it is the least expensive (hell, you already have the box, you have nothing to lose!).

Yeah, those oem fans are VERY loud. You can either get some resistors to slow the fans or replace the stock fans with quieter ones. I didn't want to spend much, so I fitted 7v resistors on all the fans. I had a hard time finding the 7v resistors. Zalman makes a cable with the resistor already attached (Zalman Rc56). Just don't slo the the fans less than 7v, you will need to keep air circulating through the case.

Good to see people making big file servers out of other people's trash.

Cesium, the sata drives should drop into the hot-swap bays just fine. I did the same thing with a Dell 6300. I would invest in the best 8x sata controller you can buy and scrap the backplane. Run the sata cables straight to the drives. The hardest part is powering the drives. I ended up making a wiring harness from the backplane's power cable. It is not the easiest thing to do, but it is the least expensive (hell, you already have the box, you have nothing to lose!).

Yeah, those oem fans are VERY loud. You can either get some resistors to slow the fans or replace the stock fans with quieter ones. I didn't want to spend much, so I fitted 7v resistors on all the fans. I had a hard time finding the 7v resistors. Zalman makes a cable with the resistor already attached (Zalman Rc56). Just don't slo the the fans less than 7v, you will need to keep air circulating through the case.

Good to see people making big file servers out of other people's trash.

I would keep the backplane mainly because of the inclusion of decent scsi hard drives.

tho im just gonna sell off the system in a few months, because it is not fast enough to transcode x264 to the 360, which is the main reason i would use it. i should be able to net around 500 bux for it, from my estimates.

it would be nice to keep, but honestly, i'm only home on weekends for most of the year (damn college) and it seems like it would end up being rarely used.

hell, for the money i net from selling it plus a bit more, i can get a nice quad core setup that will easily handle the transcoding

I've recently gone through and tried to redo some very sloppy wiring from when my last PSU blew up in this machine (I also had heat sink fans blow up...seems that everything "Vantec" in this machine died out this past year). Along with some cleaning it seems to be running much better now, but I'm still not sure how much longer my $150 OCZ PSU is going to hold out...I'd prefer to not have to spend another cent on this machine to keep it going :D

It's a slightly older machine (originally built in 2004-2005 IIRC)...not sure how many people actually put it together like this because the parts were hard to get ahold of even when this generation of computer was current...but it still has plenty of power today.

Dually AthlonXP-Mobile 2400+ (35 watt) @ 2.4 to 2.5GHz (via pin mods)
1GB of PC3200 RAM @ PC2100 speeds (hoping to get 2GB soon)
18GB 15k RPM SCA SCSI HDD on a 64bit/66MHz PCI-X SCSI Adapter :D
TurtleBeach Montego Soundcard (5.1 DDL encoder)
Total of 5 HDDs + 1 DVD Burner
WiFi & BlueTooth Connectivity
Radeon 9800 Videocard

photos_img2_08018064.jpg

Aw, come on. fx10's? (The correct spelling is lowercase 'fx' FYI.) fxE's on 11iv2 with the HP compiler. Tasty.

I was hoping for fireGLs but that was a long shot, lol! Now to find some 3D software for hp-ux... you know of any? ;)

Asus built a board off of the 875p chipset that pushed dual socket 604. It was the PC-DL Deluxe...not the newest board out, just a case in point.

My guess is those oddball 3rd party boards are your best bet....Asus may have a new model that supports OCing as well, if I find one, i'll throw it up here.

...and I'll also try and remember to put up pictures of the big black monster tomorrow

I am just finishing my Dually Rig and will post pics soon.... but I like the pictures i have seen so far!!!

The Mac Pro turned up at a screaming bargain from a friend, so it's now replaced the mainstay X5DA8/Dual 3.2 Gallatin rig I've been using for years along side the G5. That was the last of my homebrew Duallies still used regularly for production so this is a say day :( Sorta.. I love the MP to death. :D

Finally got the stuff set up how I want it, including new keyboard + keycaps and the banner, etc. Mac Pro is a quad 3.0/8GB with GF7300 until the 8800 is available for it. G5 is DC 2.3/5.5GB. Desk and rack are anthro :)

Anyway, pics all around of the office/war room where I make my living, figured I'd whore it up here :D Haven't posted a pic of the rig here in years so it's time methinks. I do motion graphics, video editing, production and such. The keys are mostly just cause I play, don't do much pro work with em other than quick scores and stuff on rare occasion. Internal pics to follow perhaps.

The desk & such:
2-29-08_desk.jpg

Better pic of the rack, Netvista P3 SFFs:
2-29-08_rack.jpg

Fatar Studio90:
2-29-08_keys.jpg

Notes, storyboards, etc. - super secart so chopped out :noes: I've got a few of these modular boards, whiteboards, cork, etc. I can swap up there for whatever project I've got going currently.
2-29-08_whiteboard.jpg

Behind it i has boxes & books, more above it. lolcuffs
2-29-08_laptop.jpg

To hell with power outages. Keep the pair of boxes up over 2 hours on tired batteries w/ full CPU load.
2-29-08_power.jpg

edit: Previous rack config with G5 + homebrew for reference:
workstation_2.jpg

Here's my desk...it's big and has an awesome CD/Bookshelf above it...and it desperately needs to be cleaned, but as the nighttime flu medecine on the subwoofer shows, I haven't felt up to it.
http://johnkalland.com/images/myDesk.jpg

Quite possibly the greatest case.EVAR!
http://johnkalland.com/images/myCase.jpg

Again...the inside needs a cleaning something awful, as well as some TLC in the wiring department
http://johnkalland.com/images/myMess.jpg

Not pictured is the Raptor X, as it's actually above the PSU cables...there's a window with blue LEDs on top of the case where you can see it, but it's not dark enough to get a good picture of that
http://johnkalland.com/images/myMess2.jpg

Normally my Wii is plugged in and sits on top of the DirecTV Box, but it took a Guitar hero field trip and hasn't come home yet.

The case is good due to the overall craftsmanship [hooray metal, boo plastic], all the construction is very well done down to the details [tool-less entry is excellent, all edges are rolled to keep your fingers from looking liek you met the business end of a woodchipper], and it has room for EVERYTHING. Plus, everything is compartmentalized and well layed out [all the cords fit without bending and stretching, unlike many cases this large].

As for the MoBo, it's a SuperMicro X7DAL+e-o [dual socket 771, PCI-Express x16 graphics, SATA, RAID, FB-DDR2, onboard audio which I disabled, dual gigabit LAN, etc].

And, it currently has Vista Business x86, but once school is done, it's getting hosed down and having Vista Business x64 put on it[the blue DVD in the white sleeve on the bookshelf is x64 waiting it's turn]

Back