(2) 2220 Opterons 2.8GHZ
(3) 300GB SAS 10K RPM HD's
(1) HP SAS Motherboard with dual Nvidia Chipsets
(8) 1 GB DDR2 667 ECC Registered
(1) Delta 1000W Power Supply

HP Dinged up case, no video card yet and a crappy IDE DVDRW :p

Craigslist is where I got most of my stuff at
very nice
So you can just hook SAS up through the SATA2 connectors?

It looks like sata in actuality the black is the sata and a the white is the SAS.

It looks like sata in actuality the black is the sata and a the white is the SAS.

You are very correct but with an exception , sata ports can also be used in the white ports, fyi I had another SAS drive in slot 3 but was DOA :(

I dislike one thing , that I have no ability to overclock it :( I wish I could just jack it up 200mhz :(

I'm saving up for dual 8800GTX's , I'm trying to avoid doing the credit card thing because that really messes you up down the line

Here is a board I will be moving to in the future

sure it has less SATA and SAS ports but I don't need that many

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ional+3600+++3050+Server+Motherboard+-+Retail

here's my server, which has 2 PIII 1.13's

server1.jpg

server2.jpg

Thanks Slarti =D. Finally got everything up and running. And its running like a champ. Memory is worked out as well as the HDD issue. And it was all my own fault for not knowing :eek: .

--Ockie's long response--

Not necessarily responding to you only-basically the whole DoD thing. It might be for the Pentagon, or since DoD is ALL branches plus some other stuff, it could be a major military base. (I saw a post about the DoD having one DHCP/DNS server???? Huh? Come on now.)
Anyway, just saying that while it is powerful-it's probably somewhere boring.

Is it just me or is that case an extended version of the standard V1000?
It's a V1200; the same height, but longer - the length of a full tower in the height of a mid tower.

Shit dude, that rig is gorgeous. :eek:

Is it just me or is that case an extended version of the standard V1000?

I agree, I havent seen a computer that beautiful in a while, i dont recall seeing specs, may i ask what CPU's you are using?

haha, now, after all the flames here

I hate to be a nooby in this thread, but I just wanted to comment that you guys have some really impressive rigs, but I have no idea what a duelly is, so i'm gonna go find out. I've seen all kinds of stuff i'd never seen or heard of before going through all the pages of this thread. Like, I saw computers with a shit load of hard drives, two computers in one, and what looked like 2 motherboards in one... i'm gonna go research this. (unless someone can give a brief explanation).

Oh man... My rig got dumped in the crash and burn! Here it is again:

ASUS K8N-DL Motherboard
2x Opteron 270 Processors (2.0 GHz Dual Core)
2x Thermalright Ultra-90 Coolers with Panaflo fans
6x 512MB HP Branded Micron PC3200 DDR REG
2x 750GB SATA 3.0 Gbps drives (one Seagate / one WD)
1x 300GB eSATA 1.5 Gbps drive (Maxtor)
256 MB HIS IceQ X1300XT Turbo PCIe graphics
2x DVDRW (one PATA, one Firewire)
500W Enermax Liberty PSU (yes, 500W is more than enough)
Thermaltake Armor case

I hate to be a nooby in this thread, but I just wanted to comment that you guys have some really impressive rigs, but I have no idea what a duelly is, so i'm gonna go find out. I've seen all kinds of stuff i'd never seen or heard of before going through all the pages of this thread. Like, I saw computers with a shit load of hard drives, two computers in one, and what looked like 2 motherboards in one... i'm gonna go research this. (unless someone can give a brief explanation).

A dually is a computer that has TWO phisicall CPU's in two "packages", unlike dual core where the 2 CPU's are in one package. The technical term is "SMP" but, a lot of the computer literate people just call them a "dually" rig.

Thanks Slarti =D. Finally got everything up and running. And its running like a champ. Memory is worked out as well as the HDD issue. And it was all my own fault for not knowing :eek: .

Yeah, good job, that looks all around incredible. Have you had any problems mounting that top radiator like that? I've heard that they can't purge when upside down. Mounting the radiator in a good place has always been the hardest part for me, it sure would open up more options if you can mount them like that.

Dark Prodigy, your rig is nice, nice cable management!

Very Interesting.. :p I;m going to build a server soon, maybe i'll be looking into it.
How much would a mid-range cost me?

I was given a IBM eSeries x235 4u Server so here are the specs

Dual 2.8GHz Intel Xeon 533 FSB CPUs
2.5GB DDR ECC RAM
no hard drives except for a temp 40GB IDE Drive
16x Lite-on DL DVD-Burner
Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet

Currently has Fedora Core 6 installed but about to install Windows 2K Advanced Server

IMG_0001r.JPG

Full Size (3MB)

http://ao1downloads.com/IMG_0001.JPG

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dually
my fav. part is the 3rd definition.

anyways, i've always thought dually meant smp. thus, if you have dualcore, whether it's 2 sockets of single cores or single socket of dualcores, they're both dually computers.

in linux at least, i think you need to enable SMP to make use of a single multi-core processor, so i'd have to agree.

"multiple processors" i think covers it better, assuming you make the distinction between a processor package and a processor core

I was given a IBM eSeries x235 4u Server so here are the specs

Dual 2.8GHz Intel Xeon 533 FSB CPUs
2.5GB DDR ECC RAM
no hard drives except for a temp 40GB IDE Drive
16x Lite-on DL DVD-Burner
Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet

Currently has Fedora Core 6 installed but about to install Windows 2K Advanced Server

Full Size (3MB)

http://ao1downloads.com/IMG_0001.JPG

Very nice score for a freebie. Looks like you also scored a halfway decent 160GB VXA-2 SCSI tape backup drive. You will want to scour eBay for some compatible SCA drive sleds and some good SCA SCSI drives for that thing.

Yeah it was nice. I say was cuz last night, I gave it to my Gaming clan leader's church, who have not been able to afford a decent server fro nearly 2 years. My neighbor is also giving them another one. I will pass that info along about the tape drive. Thanks man!

does scripture really require that much space?

bah-da pssssh

when it will be used as a shoutcast server and gamer server (CoD4 baby!) than yes sir it does
and FYI your joke was pretty lame. :rolleyes:

Nothing special, just an old dual PII 333 rig that's used for file backups at home. (One of two. The other one is collecting dust until I can put some more RAM in and find a second Voodoo 2 12MB to put in SLI, and then I'll go old school game nuts. :D)

server.jpg

server2.jpg

Old School man.

I got an old dual slot1 550MHz PIII that I need to give a home. I've also thought about througing a set of Voodoos' in with it as well.

That is totally awesome JinxCA. Back when video cards had cool names.

but now we have 8800gtxubergnarlyultraeditionOCCCOXM7050

Ive got a dualie Socket 1 mobo that im still scrounging parts for...512mg+ of ram and dual PIII's and linux....should be a very intresting project

scored a cool free server from my moms work today :D
trying to find a camera for pics :(

its an old dell poweredge 2600. loud as hell :(
dual 2.4ghz fsb400 xeons w/ hyperthreading
2gb ddr ecc ram
1x17gb scsi 10k
5x34gb scsi 10k (in raid0 now :p)
cdrw/dvd combo slim drive
floppy drive (only one in the house now :p)

just installed win2k3 server on it. want to turn it into a media server to stream to the 360. however, im not sure if it can handle 1080p x264s, which is mainly what id do :(
before i can do that, i need to find a cheapo sound card (no integrated sound wtf)

if it works well, ill find a pci sata card and buy some hdds over the summer :D

Back