OMG what did EK do?

Just got an email from them saying they couldn complete my order for 2 of the older 680 blocks. Had to tell them i didnt want to "upgrade" to their new blocks and wont be purchasing EK products again until they revert back to minimalist design.

Don't care for the styling.

I haave EK tube reservoir that started to crack and leak just a tad and I contaced EK and they sent me a replacement. Took 3 weeks but they took care of me.

EK is going to have to take care of their customers if they plan on staying in business long.

RealRedRaider rocked that nickle plating fiasco......

The guys over there put their money where their mouth was, ran the tests, and proved that EK had some bad juju in their plating process.

All the while, EK was blaming their customers and the evils of distilled water.

That said it was only the nickle plating at that time.
I still have not bought any EK since......only Heatkiller.:D

RealRedRaider even had microscopic pictures of actual copper exposed through the nickel plating.

Bought a lot of EK stuff over the years. Luckily none of it nickle plated. With this suck- ass new design and the nickle plating fiasco, never again. I wondered why Sidewinder had so little EK stuff in stock, Now I know. Thanks for the heads up.

I wondered why Sidewinder had so little EK stuff in stock, Now I know. Thanks for the heads up.

Not to mention EK tried to extort money from them.

From Sidewinder:
Truth be told, after we sent our EK Nickel products back, were issued proper credit and paid our last bill, we were going to continue to stock their copper blocks. That was, until, Eddy himself then demanded we pay EK a non-negotiable sum of $10,000 USD for damages we caused to their product line.

You know what Sidewinder did to "damage" them? They accepted customers' faulty blocks and exchanged them for good ones when EK wouldn't. EK sucks.

Still worried here... You guys say it was the nickel plating and the gold plating was unaffected... what did they do differently? Is it just because gold is generally inert and corrosion resistant?

They sacrificed quality for speed, and for them speed meant more money. If you do crap machining and plating prep, you will get crap plating.

EK is going to have to take care of their customers if they plan on staying in business long.

hahaha or they can just blame user error in loop setup, improper coolant, etc for defective nickel plating batches and then extort sidewinder & other reputable resellers who actually take care of their customers.

ive been buying from gary ever since i put a delta blowdryer fan on my first thermalright, and now ill never buy an ek product after reading about that fiasco.

Yeah the whole EK nickel plating fiasco is a fucking shame. They were making some quality products. I have one of the gold plated 1366 blocks and a GTX480 full cover blocks and they are very well built and have none of the machine marks and quality issues many of the newer batches have.

My neighbor on the other hand had one of the GTX 570 nickel plated blocks and whole area above the GPU (the wavy cut part) lost most of its nickel plating. It was coming off in chunks. He returned it and fought with them until they sent him a copper only one. But you can see the quality difference when held next to my now two year old GTX 480 block.

It is shocking that they actually tried to blame distilled water as being the reason their blocks failed, wow.

On a side note RRRtech has never been known for being subtle.

On a side note RRRtech has never been known for being subtle.[/QUOTE said:
proud member of that forum since its inception,and yes subtlety is nout our forte!!:D

Because XS is oft and gets butthurt easily if somebody doesn't agree with them. When I first got into WCing I took a look at their forum and quickly determined the signal to noise ratio there was way too low.

Because XS is oft and gets butthurt easily if somebody doesn't agree with them. When I first got into WCing I took a look at their forum and quickly determined the signal to noise ratio there was way too low.

Psh need to be badasses like the [H]!

Psh need to be badasses like the [H]!
i know that comment is intended to be a joke,but imo,in many ways [H] is not that much different than xs.
you want badasses go to rrtech.

If you guys are afraid of your EK blocks flaking, contact RedRaider as he does an amazing job at nickel plating. My brother sent his in, holy shit does it look beautiful compared to before, and much better quality too. Its pretty cheap as well.

If you guys are afraid of your EK blocks flaking, contact RedRaider as he does an amazing job at nickel plating. My brother sent his in, holy shit does it look beautiful compared to before, and much better quality too. Its pretty cheap as well.

that i can attest to.
i will say this,red does not do the plating himself,but facilitates the work through a plater in texas.
i use a nickel\chrome plated heatkiller block from red,as well as a nickel\chrome plated ek classified chipset block that was stripped beforehand of eks crap job.

I got banned at Xtremesystems over this lol
6142012104457am.png

XS is run by industry shills, no one really cares about them outside of themselves.

Didn't they just add a $1 fee to join? Wtf kind of idiotic move is that. Seriously they must really not want new members anymore.

Btw, does naikunt show his terrible looking watercooling in every thread? I asked a question and he posted that ugly shit and it made no sense.

i know that comment is intended to be a joke,but imo,in many ways [H] is not that much different than xs.
you want badasses go to rrtech.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038841902#post1038841902

I've read several threads recently that have people fighting over something stupid. There was one in the audio section that really proved this point. When I visited rrtech it was just funny to read lol

Anyways

Do you guys think EK will crash and burn or do you think they will have a turn around? I really liked some of there products but I like not having water all over my GPUs :D

I still see a lot of people buying EK, especially new people to watercooling. I don't think they're going under, they may have taken a large financial hit, but not going under quite yet.

I still see a lot of people buying EK, especially new people to watercooling. I don't think they're going under, they may have taken a large financial hit, but not going under quite yet.

I used to have a res from them. I really liked it and thought it was great, I also didn't have any leaks or issues from it. So I guess its maybe luck of the draw or something. Hopefully they get straightened up, They had some nice products.

I've considered their stuff in the parts for bits nobody else did (boards chipset), and they tend to be the first to market with various bits/non standard card layouts etc. So they probably aren't going anywhere just yet.

But this new stuff...is hideous...:confused: Maybe if it was a non windowed case, and there was a non nickel option...and was significantly cheaper. It just looks cheap and low quality... I also hate over branding on everything, it looks cheap and nasty. Reason I don't like bitspower fittings is because of the 112 bitspower symbols on everything. If a company provided a debranded version for slightly more, i'd go with that.

Just sold my 3 month old 7970 waterblock to a fellow [H]er. He opened it up (I never did because of the warranty stickers) and said he found the nickel coating was flaking away. Apparently the problem is not as fixed as they claim.

So if you needed another reason not to buy EK...

=
When I visited rrtech it was just funny to read lol
much more there than funny to read,sign up and see for yourself.
as for ek,they will survive and that matters to me not.

i do find interesting that they will not spec their blocks to be milled at a slower feed rate for a better result,but have the time to put some euro circle jerk patterns on their new blocks

Just sold my 3 month old 7970 waterblock to a fellow [H]er. He opened it up (I never did because of the warranty stickers) and said he found the nickel coating was flaking away. Apparently the problem is not as fixed as they claim.

So if you needed another reason not to buy EK...

That's why I skipped the nickel-plated version and went for the acetal/copper block (all the other 7970 blocks were way more expensive or OOS). Fingers crossed that they didn't manage to fuck this one up too.

Pity that EK isn't making this right with their customers. Yeah, it would cost a lot in the short term, but if they make it to long-term, they'll be much better off.

When I was new to watercooling I considered buying a full EK setup because it was a one stop shop basically, plus they're very visible in watercooling (read: they spend a lot of money on marketing). For whatever reason I held off and got koolance and heatkiller stuff. I was considering buying a supreme HF for a while, but now that I've seen how they treat customers I won't buy their stuff out of principle. Well that and the fact that their new stuff is ugly.

People just digging into watercooling fall for their marketing and haven't been around for long enough to see how they treat customers like shit.

When I was new to watercooling I considered buying a full EK setup because it was a one stop shop basically, plus they're very visible in watercooling (read: they spend a lot of money on marketing). For whatever reason I held off and got koolance and heatkiller stuff. I was considering buying a supreme HF for a while, but now that I've seen how they treat customers I won't buy their stuff out of principle. Well that and the fact that their new stuff is ugly.

People just digging into watercooling fall for their marketing and haven't been around for long enough to see how they treat customers like shit.

In fairness, for a bit they did have one of the better all-around CPU blocks...now of course the folks at XSPC and DT blow them out of the water in both thermals and restriction....to say nothing of plating issues and CS.

Wow, these cards look absolutely horrid. What there they thinking??
Looks like they were trying to do something like HeatKillers models, but failed...

They're just trying to sell themselves to OEMs for REAL money, rather than end-users.

:cool:

Back