NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X Video Card PREVIEW @ [H]

I don't think it's a matter of trying to convince you, but a matter of how big your pocketbook is and how much you really want to spend and what kind of return you will get when you go to sell the new Titan(s) X you purchase.

I was able to get $750 each for my Titans when I sold them and purchased my current setup.

While I appreciate the truth in what you say...No, I need someone to convince me...because I am just one foot on the fence and unconvinced, buying new toys is always fun, but the numbers to me are... meh.

While I appreciate the truth in what you say...No, I need someone to convince me...because I am just one foot on the fence and unconvinced, buying new toys is always fun, but the numbers to me are... meh.

If you're not convinced - no reason to do it. That's a good sign right there.

Take advantage of the deluge of used GTX 980s that are sure to be on the market today and beyond. You can likely get a pretty kick-ass setup for $800 or so. The 295X2 looks fun to play with, as well...that's around $800-900 depending on day and vendor. Assuming, of course - that you want to deal with potential SLI/CFX issues.

So when is the card going on sale for everyone? I guess Nvidia website only right now?

Newegg has a page setup for it but can't order yet. I am debating if I want to go tri-SLI...

Newegg has a page setup for it but can't order yet. I am debating if I want to go tri-SLI...

Are they selling NVIDIA-branded reference cards or would you *gasp* mix cards?? :)

(Yes, I know they'll all look the same)

Are they selling NVIDIA-branded reference cards or would you *gasp* mix cards?? :)

(Yes, I know they'll all look the same)

lol

I think I'll wait. I want to tweak my first two on air and need waterblocks anyways... and trisli scaling doesn't work right half the time IIRC.

Defiantly thinking about getting one for my ITX system to replace my gtx 680 2gb. It is a lot of money but it seems like Titans have more longevity and I like keeping my systems for 5 years or so.
Should be a decent upgrade. :D

lol

I think I'll wait. I want to tweak my first two on air and need waterblocks anyways... and trisli scaling doesn't work right half the time IIRC.

Yes. Good call.

I have 4x980s now - run 1 in my 4770K box and then tri-SLI in my 5960X box. Tri-SLI is not that great. With the 980s it's OK - because each card is around $550 or so. But when you're talking about tri-SLI scaling and adding a $1k card...yeah. Gets harder to justify. Not that I do this for the value or logic. Previously ran 4x680s, then 2x690s, then 3xTITANS - been slowly moving down the scale with the insane-o rigs. Ends up only being fun for e-peen and benching, lol.

Excited to have regular old SLI for a while. Maybe go tri once 4K/144Hz/G-SYNC or FreeSync becomes a reality.

About how far after Titan does the Ti card usually follow? I'll wait for a 980 Ti.

About how far after Titan does the Ti card usually follow? I'll wait for a 980 Ti.

They'll ride the high profit margin Titan train for a while before a mainstream performance refresh...probably 4-9 more months, I'm guessing.

They'll ride the high profit margin Titan train for a while before a mainstream performance refresh...probably 4-9 more months, I'm guessing.

Yeah, it really depends on what AMD does I think.

If they feel threatened, the next gen will come sooner (if ready). If not, they will hold off and milk this one for as long as they can.

I got the first Titan in early 2013. I had severe buyers remorse after dropping $1000 on it, but as luck would have it it proved to be a hell of an investment. 2 years later I am still using it, and it's only slightly behind a 980 today.

I don't think I've ever kept a GPU in my primary rig that long before.

That being said, I feel like that was random luck, and I wouldn't count on it happening again with the Titan X.

They will also wait for the 390x to drop so they can 1-up amd with the 980ti.

It's interesting. If you actually watch the videos you see a lot of games with sudden frame rate drops, especially on the 290x, but on the 980/970/290x and the Titan X stays completely flat. I wonder if that's the 12GB VRAM? I'm talking about single cards too.

SLI is even worse of course.

After watching those videos I choose a single Titan over 970/980 SLI any day. No question about it.

if your are very well off with no kids and can afford 2 of these at 2k and want high end 4K performance right now...then this is the ticket.... the 95% of the rest of us.... we just enjoy the pretty graphs..

I doubt it. At this point, the Titan X is their premium card. The 980 ti will be a midrange high end card, somewhere between the 980 and the Titan X. Short of the 390x being 5x as powerful as the Titan X, I doubt it will speed up the newer cards. It's probably going to be about a year before NVidia releases any new cards, and that will be heavily dependent upon AMD releasing a super powerful 390x.

Got my Amazon order in! Now hopefully it gets in stock and ships soon. :rolleyes:

Someone organized should start a Titan X overclocking thread.

Last edited:
I doubt it. At this point, the Titan X is their premium card. The 980 ti will be a midrange high end card, somewhere between the 980 and the Titan X. Short of the 390x being 5x as powerful as the Titan X, I doubt it will speed up the newer cards. It's probably going to be about a year before NVidia releases any new cards, and that will be heavily dependent upon AMD releasing a super powerful 390x.

I don't think it would take the 390x being more powerful then the TitanX to push NV into releasing the 980ti. If it is even close (%80-90) of its performance and 2/3's the cost that will push NV to release a more competitive card because the majority of people would rather save the money versus paying the premium for the increase in performance.
We shall see.

It's interesting. If you actually watch the videos you see a lot of games with sudden frame rate drops, especially on the 290x, but on the 980/970/290x and the Titan X stays completely flat. I wonder if that's the 12GB VRAM? I'm talking about single cards too.

SLI is even worse of course.

After watching those videos I choose a single Titan over 970/980 SLI any day. No question about it.

I found this to be the case when I ran multi-GPU setups as well.

Bursts of high performance when the workload is well suited for SLI/Crossfire lead to high averages and peak framerates, but all too often framerates drop to unacceptable lows, and this is on supported titles.

Then there's all the newer titles that don't work right out of the box.

I would to the single strong GPU over multiple GPU's 100% ofd the time, if I had the option.

One of the best playthrough reviews I've seen.
The Titan X OC sitting right in the middle of 980/970 SLI.

When I had 660Ti SLI is was a flaky in BF3. Sometimes it ran smooth and other times the second GPU didn't boost from idle.
Also the OC was inconsistent in SLI. One GPU will not boost during gaming.

The cost of entry is high, but I can see this card lasting past Pascal.

Zarathustra[H];1041492638 said:
Yeah, it really depends on what AMD does I think.

If they feel threatened, the next gen will come sooner (if ready). If not, they will hold off and milk this one for as long as they can.

I got the first Titan in early 2013. I had severe buyers remorse after dropping $1000 on it, but as luck would have it it proved to be a hell of an investment. 2 years later I am still using it, and it's only slightly behind a 980 today.

I don't think I've ever kept a GPU in my primary rig that long before.

That being said, I feel like that was random luck, and I wouldn't count on it happening again with the Titan X.

I don't think nvidia is worried about the 390X. They'll have something in their sub-Titan product line-up to release as a counter...unless the 390X has 16GB of VRAM, matches or beats this new Titan, and is half the price.

...I'll keep dreaming, thank you very much. :p

I don't think nvidia is worried about the 390X. They'll have something in their sub-Titan product line-up to release as a counter...unless the 390X has 16GB of VRAM, matches or beats this new Titan, and is half the price.

A sub $700 8GB 390X that trade blows with the Titan X will be enough for AMD get it back going.

But....those CF profiles....Nvidia has better game support. Trade offs I guess.

I read this review and it seems to make less sense to jump and buy one.........

http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review-efficient-powerful?page=1

When is comes to these type of cards, playthroughs are a better measurement than benchmarks.
Look at the Youtube video above. SLI doesn't work in all games and constant drops in performance. This all plays into the overall experience.

A sub $700 8GB 390X that trade blows with the Titan X will be enough for AMD get it back going.

But....those CF profiles....Nvidia has better game support. Trade offs I guess.

When is comes to these type of cards, playthroughs are a better measurement than benchmarks.
Look at the Youtube video above. SLI doesn't work in all games and constant drops in performance. This all plays into the overall experience.

I have a 3way crossfire setup and a 2 way sli setup.. They work great.. You really have to tune your system to lower latencies.. on my crossfire setup I have no Microstutter what's so ever.. freaking amazing in 4k. It literally feels like 1 gpu and games that don't support crossfire or sli there is always a work around. Being that I've owned every single gen of sli and crossfire.. It's no where near as bad as it was in the past.

I'm having an angel and devil on my shoulder moment right now.

Ok Kronk, make up your mind.

emperors-new-groove.jpg

Question for the community - When GPU-z / Afterburner / Etc reported VRAM usage, is there any indication of how much of that allocated VRAM is "in use" vs in "stand by"? For instance, if you load up resource monitor in Win 7 / 8 and look at RAM allocation there is usually a significant amount of RAM allocated for standby that, from my understanding, could be flushed from RAM onto the page file to make room for "in use" data with little to no impact on performance. Conversely, one could physically remove the amount of "reserved" RAM with little to no impact on system performance.

My thought is that the more physical memory available on the system the less aggressive the memory scheduler in Windows is in swapping data to the page file and/or just flushing it out - end result is more total memory is being reported as allocated in some fashion, but in reality you are not getting any system performance benefit from having a lot of the "standby" data in RAM.

Is there a correlation with VRAM, where the memory scheduler will be more lax in managing the amount of data in VRAM when it has more VRAM to work with - implication here is that even if a utility is reporting, say, 5GB of VRAM in usage, maybe only 3.5GB of that is "active data in use" and the rest is data of marginal value that could be swapped to system RAM with little or no performance impact, meaning a 4GB card would run with the same performance as a 6GB card in the above example.

Looking at Brent's graph for VRAM usage on the third page of the preview, for Dying Light and Watch Dog the Titan X reports VRAM usage well in excess of 4GB, which is the max on the 980. My thoughts are that if that data in excess of the 4GB VRAM on the 980 was "actively important" it should be negatively impacting the frame rate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The Titan X is the same architecture as the 980, has 50% more of everything, and is clocked about 12% lower. 150% the resources x 88% of the clock = ~133% the theoretical performance of the 980 at stock clocks.

Given that both Dying Light and Watch Dogs are showing a 30%-35% performance increase for the Titan X vs the 980, from my back-of-the-envelope math it seems that that extra VRAM is not improving performance at all. Am I missing something? Is VRAM not a "constant drag" on FPS, but only manifests itself "occasionally", resulting in stuttering and bad frame pacing/timing? I couldn't detect any significant difference in direction and magnitude of the FPS graphs between the 980 and TitanX, but the graphs really aren't set up to show frame time variance, either.

Any feedback / thoughts on the above would be appreciated. I'm excited to see additional VRAM on GPU's, but also wonder how "essential" it is outside of edge cases designed to expose a difference.

Last edited:
I don't think you need more than 4GBish for a single card like the 980/290x. Once you get into SLI/Crossfire it'll be more limiting.

If you watch the videos in the euro gamer review the 970SLi seems to stutter a lot more than the 980SLi.

Also some cases where the single 980 stutters and the Titan X doesn't. The only thing that makes sense to me is the VRAM size. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review

I have a feeling Brent is working on this very thing... Hopefully with more data. You're going to see VRAM issues become apparent in stutters/minimums before avg FPS though.

Last edited:
So is Nvidia allowing custom AIB cooling solutions?

If not......thats not a good thing.

:) I really hope AMD can bring some competition to the table. I want better pricing !
I will keep dreaming as well :p

So is Nvidia allowing custom AIB cooling solutions?

If not......thats not a good thing.

There isn't going to be retailer cooler solutions. No difference in cards or cooling no matter what "brand" you buy, at least that's what i was told.

Back