Horizon Zero Dawn

I bought PS4 Pro just for this game. Honestly. I just want to play this. The other games I get will only be a bonus, but I fell in love with this game. Hope it's huge and plenty to do.

Saw a review done by Playstation Access guys...getting pumped about it...looks fun!

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Oh, god...

The matriarchy vs. the patriarchy. I guess I'll be skipping all the dialogue in this one.

like this
amazing graphics plus gameplay plus story...I wish I still had my PS4...tempted to pick up a Pro and then maybe sell it shortly afterwards

Gotta say: This might move some PS4s the way that all looks.

Oh, god...

The matriarchy vs. the patriarchy. I guess I'll be skipping all the dialogue in this one.

I didn't get that at all from that dialogue. More like struggling with mental illness and familial bonds.

I'm more concerned about the iffy voice acting and the weird and twitchy facial animations.

like this
a part of me was worried that after all the hype that the game couldn't possibly live up to all the expectations but it looks like I was wrong as pretty much every review is calling this one of the best PS4 games...I don't think it can beat Bloodborne but #2 is still pretty impressive

For all this technical praise I still quibbles about 30 fps which I really would have thought by now we would have seen a decent push to 60 even for the consoles.

I do wish this were coming to the PC and I'm sure others do and will as well looking this over but I am glad I own a PS4 and am likely going to buy it unless some shocking "coming to PC in six months" or some notice like that suddenly surfaces.

I understand that this studio is typically second party and exclusive to Sony and the Playstation platform so I suspect the prospects of a PC version are likely slim.

It's a shame. 60 fps and an option to have a KBM would have been nice to have watching some of that combat footage I saw.

I still appreciate a controller in my hand and relaxed back on the couch/recliner. FPS doesn't bother me so much if I am immersed in the game. If it becomes a hindrance on game play is when I start to get annoyed.

I still appreciate a controller in my hand and relaxed back on the couch/recliner. FPS doesn't bother me so much if I am immersed in the game. If it becomes a hindrance on game play is when I start to get annoyed.

It's not going to stop me. If the controls are well implemented that'll be perfectly fine.

amazing graphics plus gameplay plus story...I wish I still had my PS4...tempted to pick up a Pro and then maybe sell it shortly afterwards

If you have money to throw away like that (you won't get anywhere near new price for it) you might as well keep it. There are some great exclusives coming out in the near future.

For all this technical praise I still quibbles about 30 fps which I really would have thought by now we would have seen a decent push to 60 even for the consoles.

I do wish this were coming to the PC and I'm sure others do and will as well looking this over but I am glad I own a PS4 and am likely going to buy it unless some shocking "coming to PC in six months" or some notice like that suddenly surfaces.

I understand that this studio is typically second party and exclusive to Sony and the Playstation platform so I suspect the prospects of a PC version are likely slim.

It's a shame. 60 fps and an option to have a KBM would have been nice to have watching some of that combat footage I saw.

I have to agree with Viper16. Being a PC gamer and console gamer myself I will agree that 60fps is great, but I would argue it depends on the type of title. Like, I would have Uncharted 4 @ a solid 30fps @ 4K than at 60fps @ 1080p any day of the week and I am sure Horizon Zero Dawn will be the same. I like to think of FPS in some titles as an artistic choice depending on the title. Like I said, I love 60fps but I am just fine with a solid 30fps. At the end of the day, if the gameplay sucks it won't matter how fast the frames are moving. It will still suck.

like this
there's going to be a small Day 1 patch for the PS4 Pro which- "will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor smoother framerates while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays.”

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...date-will-include-a-ps4-pro-performance-mode/

What I didn't expect when I bought the PS4 Pro was the flexibility these developers would provide. It's almost PC-like with the different graphical options. Very nice to see this in the console arena.

I'd love to see an adaptive vsync option.

What I didn't expect when I bought the PS4 Pro was the flexibility these developers would provide. It's almost PC-like with the different graphical options. Very nice to see this in the console arena.

I'd love to see an adaptive vsync option.

I'm also glad to see PS4 users get performance options- Nioh did this as well

Be careful what you ask for, If you want 60fps open world game on console you're going to get slightly better then ps3 level graphics and limited environments like nier automata, yakuza 0, and mgsv.

I doubt this game would make nearly the same impact or received attention at all if they targeted 60fps graphically.

Be careful what you ask for, If you want 60fps open world game on console you're going to get slightly better then ps3 level graphics and limited environments like nier automata, yakuza 0, and mgsv.

I doubt this game would make nearly the same impact or received attention at all if they targeted 60fps graphically.

I see nothing wrong with games looking like that. Sadly kids these days are all about things being flashy instead of good and well designed. It's why horror movies are by and large all shit these days, the younger generation doesn't care about quality they just want spectacle.

I take this as a passive admission that game consoles are holding game design back.

like this
Sadly kids these days are all about things being flashy instead of good and well designed..
60fps can directly inhibit design though specifically in open world games in scope. Nier looks to be a perfect example of that with most of the world being very empty and rather ugly.

I take this as a passive admission that game consoles are holding game design back.
They hold back game design in some ways but in some ways they push forward in others because you end up with studios pushing the limits directly because of exclusivity that have created studios like guerrilla and naughty dog.

like this
As a gamer, what I dislike are platform "exclusives". I realize that they're attempting to push their respective hardware sales, but I'm not going to spend $400 per console simply to play one or two exclusive titles. But I would pay $50-$60 for a PC version of the game itself. I'd be willing to bet that the devs are losing more profit in title sales than the console makers are making with hardware sales.

like this
I highly doubt the developers are making less money in most cases because typically part of the deal is when they agree to a exclusive deal is that they don't have to pay a cent in advertising which can easily exceed/double/triple the game's development cost.

like this
I like Gorilla games but I just don't dig this game.....

They could of least gave the main character salon style hair instead of braided knots.

Bow and Arrows are cool but you have to do it right Hunted the Demon's Forge had more class.

As a gamer, what I dislike are platform "exclusives". I realize that they're attempting to push their respective hardware sales, but I'm not going to spend $400 per console simply to play one or two exclusive titles. But I would pay $50-$60 for a PC version of the game itself. I'd be willing to bet that the devs are losing more profit in title sales than the console makers are making with hardware sales.

Guerilla Games is under the Sony Umbrella, so I don't see that changing soon..

As a PC gamer I might dislike that exclusives lock things down, but for a company like Sony (and especially MS + Nintendo) it makes sense. It pushes people to buy your system instead of that other cheaper one or that other more powerful one. While MS's exclusives tend to revolve around a couple franchises that have seen better days, Sony's 1st party studios tend to produce games like Bloodborne, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon, and Infamous. We all know what Nintendo is putting out. At least the games that are pushing people toward Sony systems are legit 5-star stuff.

I'm surprised there isn't a Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 bundle...I guess Sony knows that people will buy the game in droves during the early days and don't need to bundle it until later

60fps can directly inhibit design though specifically in open world games in scope. Nier looks to be a perfect example of that with most of the world being very empty and rather ugly.

We don't need super massive open worlds though. I'd rather have smaller open worlds with more stuff to do and not fake content puked all over the map ala Ubisoft titles and the games that copy that formula.

That's actually not the case. Sony offers enormous incentives to exclusives whether it's development assistance from the ICE team, supplemental development funds, and free advertising. What these developers would have to pay millions to do will be supplemented by Sony, and with an over 50 million+ userbase they are not complaining trust me. Exclusives will ALWAYS be a fact of consoles because that is the main incentive to buy one console over the other. Why is that so hard to understand? It's like yeah you won't pay $400 for a console, but there are tens of millions of others who did and are enjoying countless incredible games on consoles that are not available on PC. It's just a fact that folks need to stop bitching about because it will always be this way, and if you stop complaining and take the plunge into getting a console you will find WAY more than just one or two console exclusive titles that will make your purchase worthwhile. Some of the games i've ever played were on console and I regret nothing.

As a PC gamer I might dislike that exclusives lock things down, but for a company like Sony (and especially MS + Nintendo) it makes sense. It pushes people to buy your system instead of that other cheaper one or that other more powerful one. While MS's exclusives tend to revolve around a couple franchises that have seen better days, Sony's 1st party studios tend to produce games like Bloodborne, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon, and Infamous. We all know what Nintendo is putting out. At least the games that are pushing people toward Sony systems are legit 5-star stuff.

Finally a PC gamer with some sense. The death of exclusives would be the death of consoles, and as a PC player myself some of the best games i've ever experienced have been on consoles. Consoles have always been way more accessible than PCs for gaming for the vast majority of folks, and there is something to be said in being able to sit in a comfortable couch and play games on a nice big TV comfortably. And it's also super nice that consoles nowadays can replace multiple entertainment center devices too. Consoles imo will never die, and imo will always be welcome in the gaming space.

That's actually not the case. Sony offers enormous incentives to exclusives whether it's development assistance from the ICE team, supplemental development funds, and free advertising. What these developers would have to pay millions to do will be supplemented by Sony, and with an over 50 million+ userbase they are not complaining trust me. Exclusives will ALWAYS be a fact of consoles because that is the main incentive to buy one console over the other. Why is that so hard to understand? It's like yeah you won't pay $400 for a console, but there are tens of millions of others who did and are enjoying countless incredible games on consoles that are not available on PC. It's just a fact that folks need to stop bitching about because it will always be this way, and if you stop complaining and take the plunge into getting a console you will find WAY more than just one or two console exclusive titles that will make your purchase worthwhile. Some of the games i've ever played were on console and I regret nothing.

Sony has the best exclusives without question but it also has a lot to do with the death of PC exclusives...if there were more games like Crysis then I'm sure PC would rule but now games like Bloodborne, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh etc rule the roost

Digital Foundry took a deeper look at the tech in Horizon and how it's all used in the game's world.:

It's a pity that water and foliage don't react to your character but if it really is something that had to be sacrificed to ensure stable performance and to enable other animations and features in the game it's worth it.

Back