Horizon Zero Dawn

I'm not sure what weapons you have access to at that point, but Tear arrows are great for destroying armor, and the sling has some extremely powerful ammo. I tend to go with sling to freeze them and then do tons of damage with the bow on the weak points.

This video helped me out a lot when I started - be aware that there are some spoilers for enemy types if you go farther in the video (it basically covers all machine types in the game).

Freezing them is definitely the way to go.

Also, as I've said a few times in this thread now; unlock the slow-mo while jumping and aiming perk ASAP. This ability almost breaks the game if you keep loading up 3 arrows onto a decently modded bow and can hit those weak spots while bunny hopping in slo-mo constantly. They should have put some sort of cool-down on that ability, but they didn't, so enjoy the exploit I guess.
To each his own I guess, I didn't find the jumping slow-mo overly useful but the slow-mo in general can help a lot.

Playing on PC I turned off auto-aim as it was really screwing up my accuracy. On a controller it's pretty much necessary, though.

I need some help getting me motivated to play this game. Now... when I had a PS4 years ago I played the game for a couple hours and enjoyed it but never finished it. I got a PS5 around October of last year, and all the talk and screenshots of Horizon Forbidden West have made me want to jump back into the game. First impressions are the game runs a lot better... it seems to default to 60fps and 4K-checkerboarding on the PS5 and the game is beautiful.

However for some reason I completely got taken out of the game mentally in the beginning when you are young Alloy and you are hiding in the grass and Rost says something like if you stay crouched in this grass the scanner can't see you.

So I am looking at this super-advanced looking robot looking right at me, and it doesn't see me. I had a WTF moment like how this super futuristic robot can't see her. Then another moment I had was when you're crossing a bridge and Rost yells at this heard of machines to scatter.

The whole thing seems... stupid. Like these super complicated looking high-tech robots all LOOK futuristic and smart, but in reality are literally as dumb as animals. Is there an explanation for this later in the game that would make continuing to play this worth it? Right now this just seems very dumb to me.

I need some help getting me motivated to play this game. Now... when I had a PS4 years ago I played the game for a couple hours and enjoyed it but never finished it. I got a PS5 around October of last year, and all the talk and screenshots of Horizon Forbidden West have made me want to jump back into the game. First impressions are the game runs a lot better... it seems to default to 60fps and 4K-checkerboarding on the PS5 and the game is beautiful.

However for some reason I completely got taken out of the game mentally in the beginning when you are young Alloy and you are hiding in the grass and Rost says something like if you stay crouched in this grass the scanner can't see you.

So I am looking at this super-advanced looking robot looking right at me, and it doesn't see me. I had a WTF moment like how this super futuristic robot can't see her. Then another moment I had was when you're crossing a bridge and Rost yells at this heard of machines to scatter.

The whole thing seems... stupid. Like these super complicated looking high-tech robots all LOOK futuristic and smart, but in reality are literally as dumb as animals. Is there an explanation for this later in the game that would make continuing to play this worth it? Right now this just seems very dumb to me.
It's a video game. If you're going to get all deep and try to make sense of a fantasy world you're not going to enjoy it.

but in reality are literally as dumb as animals.
well yes they're supposed to be like animals. that's kind of the whole "aesthetic", it's a world full of machines that act like animals which is weird and strange and "oooh aahhh".

also never try to mesh videogame stealth mechanics with realism. ever.

It's a video game. If you're going to get all deep and try to make sense of a fantasy world you're not going to enjoy it.

I usually don't... I mean most of everything in fantasy and sci-fi is acceptable to me but for some reason the thought of a super futuristic looking robot being as dumb as an animal made me mentally eject from the game. I've played a million different types of games and enjoy all manner of ridiculousness, but maybe this is just me showing my age or something. Not sure.

I usually don't... I mean most of everything in fantasy and sci-fi is acceptable to me but for some reason the thought of a super futuristic looking robot being as dumb as an animal made me mentally eject from the game. I've played a million different types of games and enjoy all manner of ridiculousness, but maybe this is just me showing my age or something. Not sure.

The game has a decent plot reveal as it goes through the story, but this is probably a fine one for you to miss.

Just roll with it. If you pick it apart you'll just ruin the experience. I play very few games, from software ruined games for me lol. However I played this about 1.5 times on PS4 pro. When I got PS5 the 60fps patch had just dropped so I checked it out got sucked right back in and earned that platinum trophy. On PS4 pro 4k 30fps I was amazed how well and smooth it ran. Simply impressive if you ask me. So much so when I got forbidden West i felt unimpressed cuz it doesn't seem much better than zero dawn graphically and doesn't run as smooth at launch. Neither did zero dawn at launch though. If you have a PlayStation these are auto purchase IMO

Lore wise, they’re supposed to act like dumb animals. Without going into spoilers they were made that way for a reason. The game does a pretty good job of explaining why the world is like it is and why the robots act like they do. But it does take a long time to get to that point, if you really can’t get past it during gameplay it might not be a bad idea to look up the lore and see if that helps you click with the game.

Lore wise, they’re supposed to act like dumb animals. Without going into spoilers they were made that way for a reason. The game does a pretty good job of explaining why the world is like it is and why the robots act like they do. But it does take a long time to get to that point, if you really can’t get past it during gameplay it might not be a bad idea to look up the lore and see if that helps you click with the game.
I would recommend not looking up plot details, the reveal of why everything is the way it was was one of the best ones I've ever encountered - I would have hated to have that ruined for me before playing the game.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back