Gamers Nexus vs LinusTechTips: Smackdown

LTT is trying to have their cake and eat it too. Linus attracts viewers for tech reviews then falls back on being 'just tech-tainment' or whatever you want to call it.

We've seen this stunt before with comedy news shows such as the Dailey Show where they would report news then waive off all accountability as they are just "a comedy show" even if their reporting had real world consequences for innocent parties.

Except LTT isn't pretending to be a tech testing show, they are actually a tech testing show and seriously testing tech. The Daily Show isn't pretending to be a real news show. They are a comedy show using material from the news. I mean, they originally broadcast on Comedy Central. That should be your first clue.

Yes so maybe you choose to not say it in your video, that irrelevant, how it should work

You write an article that involve party A making claim about an other party B (and party A would have human nature telling story that put the other one in a bad light, it gave it bad reviews).
You send the article you wrote to party B asking them if they have comments, precision they want to make
You can go back to party A if they agree with the other side of the story, you can dismiss it, you can try to double check the claim.

But obviously GN is not a journalist, no one working for him is, it is not a news organization, nor a new channel and its audience don't really care. And this does not work well with video format (nor the speed of youtube channels, journalism is boring, very costly, slow and hard), obviously, you can send the script if you have one, but it would not have all (image, tone, etc...).

Yes, I saw all that, it does not mean they did not have decided that it would reimbursed them, and it was not just in the time in between a decision is made and it is all finalised and Billet Labs put in the know, a video about it can speed up the process or LMG could be lying about it, you can let your audience decide.
Same thing can be said about Linus if you want to deflect like that. Did LMG ask GN for comment before claiming that GN's testing was not as good as theirs? I think not.

In any case, LMG fired the first shots at GN and Hardware Unboxed. GN retaliated in kind with with much harder hitting ammunition. I don't see why GN needed to get any comment from LMG, nor do I see why the lack of it detracts from the video in any way.

Edit: The responses by Linus have also fully justified that there was no point in getting any comment from LMG. It would have been full of useless crap.

Probably a separate topic but I don’t understand how Linus got so big to begin with. I occasionally watch his videos and wonder what exactly his company does? The videos themselves seem like long-form commercials, often not disclosing they’re “sponsored” until the very end (which I always found to be as pretty smarmy and dishonest).

A lot of his videos these days seem to be showing off how rich he is (showing his home, car, etc).

Yes so maybe you choose to not say it in your video, that irrelevant, how it should work

You write an article that involve party A making claim about an other party B (and party A would have human nature telling story that put the other one in a bad light, it gave it bad reviews).
You send the article you wrote to party B asking them if they have comments, precision they want to make
You can go back to party A if they agree with the other side of the story, you can dismiss it, you can try to double check the claim.

But obviously GN is not a journalist, no one working for him is, it is not a news organization, nor a new channel and its audience don't really care. And this does not work well with video format (nor the speed of youtube channels, journalism is boring, very costly, slow and hard), obviously, you can send the script if you have one, but it would not have all (image, tone, etc...).

Yes, I saw all that, it does not mean they did not have decided that it would reimbursed them, and it was not just in the time in between a decision is made and it is all finalised and Billet Labs put in the know, a video about it can speed up the process or LMG could be lying about it, you can let your audience decide.

Did you watch the video? it sounds like you didn't based on your responses...

Everyone seems to be ignoring that Steve claimed in the first video that this is something GN has been looking into for a few months. Ya'll are acting like this is something he threw together simply because of the call out. The call-out was used as an example of what LMG's claimed goal with the lab is and why Steve believes the company should be held to the standard they're supposedly striving for. If Steve was going for pettiness, there would have likely been a whole lot more harsh sarcasm thrown in.

It's gets more hypocritical than that. You can look at his library and find countless times he went after companies for offering a bad product/service.
He makes it a duty to rip apart pre-built PC companies causing them to suffer financially, but what TT did is going too far. Ridiculous.

This is about his (GN) opinions/thoughts being challenged. He's mad.
So of course Mr. Drama goes into his textbook private investigator mode.
GamersTMZ

Ah, yes, fairly reviewing a product and finding it bad is totally the same fucking thing as knowingly showcasing an item in a manner where you were told it might not work and then outright refusing to test it properly because it would "cost too much". And, when called out on it, continue to double down on the bullshit and make a half-assed defense that does not, in any way, take accountably for anything.

Probably a separate topic but I don’t understand how Linus got so big to begin with. I occasionally watch his videos and wonder what exactly his company does? The videos themselves seem like long-form commercials, often not disclosing they’re “sponsored” until the very end (which I always found to be as pretty smarmy and dishonest).

A lot of his videos these days seem to be showing off how rich he is (showing his home, car, etc).

Linus was one of the early ones and his personality combined with his access to tech, through his employer at the time, helped push him into the limelight. He was also one of the first to really try to understand how Youtube works and how to build a loyal audience. When he moved to doing his own thing, he created a brand based on the crazy shit he would do on top of the more "serious" content.

Linus was one of the early ones and his personality combined with his access to tech, through his employer at the time, helped push him into the limelight. He was also one of the first to really try to understand how Youtube works and how to build a loyal audience. When he moved to doing his own thing, he created a brand based on the crazy shit he would do on top of the more "serious" content.
I get that, but what does his company do? Is the value mostly based around its ability to churn out videos with a lot of clicks? I get the impression he has some sort of non-video related tech company but he never fully explains what exactly it is/does.

Reactions: pavel
like this
Linus was one of the early ones and his personality combined with his access to tech, through his employer at the time, helped push him into the limelight.
Note that Kyle of Bitwit and Paul of Paul's Hardware more or less got their starts the same way, except they did the same kind of product spotlight videos for Newegg. I'm sure there are other people who came up similarly.

I get that, but what does his company do? Is the value mostly based around its ability to churn out videos with a lot of clicks? I get the impression he has some sort of non-video related tech company but he never fully explains what exactly it is/does.
They also develop and sell their own products; t-shirts, backpacks, screwdrivers, etc.

That is LMG and basically every other company that relies on making Youtube content for a living. LMG is wholly focused on Youtube and has been working on rebranding itself from a comedy tech show to a more serious legitimate tech review site, hence why the lack of integrity in testing is such a big deal. That's also disregarding the fiasco with Billet Labs.
They also sell their own products; t-shirts, backpacks, screwdrivers, etc.
True, basically every Youtuber gets significant income on merch. However, being able to sell the merch is contingent on being able to put up videos that get lots of clicks.

Reactions: emphy
like this
Thoughts? A quick look at the first video, it got 2.7 million views in a day, and for a 45 minute video at that (even if not everyone watched the whole 45 minutes) that's gotta be worth a few bucks. Probably wants to go full Kylo Ren ... "More.... MOOOOOORE!!!!!"
I am pretty sure he said at the start of the video that he was disabling monitorization on the video. He didn't do it for the clicks.

This is true. He deserves a lot of credit even if he's been slacking off lately or whatever. I'll admit I try to watch LTT vids sometimes they are a fun watch most of the time they feel unimportant and random but after all these years I might be tougher to come up with fresh ideas so many times a week. Linus is a boss even if he's not as accurate as Steve. What isn't forgivable is how he craps on new startup companies now that he is so big he needs to put himself in their shoes and be more compassionate and informative and not so harsh. Even though Steve is extremely harsh himself. Lol no one is perfect even though tech Jesus thinks he is.

LOL! How dare he?!
I mean I love those reviews because the major company has no idea who is buying it. It would be like a regular customer buying it. That to me is better than the company knowing who is being sent to, so they make sure that pc is going to run flawless.

Sure, i would never buy a prebuilt. But I know quite a few people who buy prebuilts. I can at least tell them to stay away from specific brands because of QC problems.

Ok I’m done ranting lol

This is true. He deserves a lot of credit even if he's been slacking off lately or whatever. I'll admit I try to watch LTT vids sometimes they are a fun watch most of the time they feel unimportant and random but after all these years I might be tougher to come up with fresh ideas so many times a week. Linus is a boss even if he's not as accurate as Steve. What isn't forgivable is how he craps on new startup companies now that he is so big he needs to put himself in their shoes and be more compassionate and informative and not so harsh. Even though Steve is extremely harsh himself. Lol no one is perfect even though tech Jesus thinks he is.
I give Linus credit for going from nothing to where he is.
He has never really been a great reviewer, or hired great reviewers imo. I don't intend that to be mean some of the personalities he has around are great. I think his issues the last few years are more just his inability to manage something that large. He has a lot of overhead, and those Canadian Gov grants only go so far paying a room full of sweaty content editors. I imagine if you have a few hundred thousand coming in and as much going out every month the stress of not knowing how to properly manage everyones time can make for forced errors.

I have never taken Linus serious, cause I know exactly what Linus is. I am rounding the other side of middle age these days but I remember my first handful of sales jobs as a young man selling tech... working as a sales manager and then briefly as a purchaser before moving on to other things. I worked with a lot of Linus types. They knew enough to have a tech conversation... but really they where sales men. Guys that knew to not talk themselves out of a sale. Fun guys to hang with but they would also sell timeshares for a living if the money was right. I still run into people I knew back then now and then... when I'm out looking to buy a new car, or book a vacation, or find myself in need of a $20k skid of bolts. And hey when I run into old "friends" at least I know when I'm being BUDDYED into a great deal. As one of my favorite Linus type work friends from back in the day told me once when I was making a deal for a family member, "Hey if you can't gouge friends and family who trust you how are you going to gouge strangers???"

The most disappointing take away from this one for me... is really just that Linus really doesn't seem to be a willing to try all that hard to just be better. I thought his admitting he needed a boss to run the place and him was a turning point, maybe not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Down8
like this
Thoughts on Linus's response intergrated into the news reel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3byz3txpso

the-last-meme-just-needed-a-slight-ai-touch-up-to-tie-it-v0-gnt4k4hpsbib1.png

I give Linus credit for going from nothing to where he is.
He has never really been a great reviewer, or hired great reviewers imo. I don't intend that to be mean some of the personalities he has around are great. I think his issues the last few years are more just his inability to manage something that large. He has a lot of overhead, and those Canadian Gov grants only go so far paying a room full of sweaty content editors. I imagine if you have a few hundred thousand coming in and as much going out every month the stress of not knowing how to properly manage everyones time can make for forced errors.

I have never taken Linus serious, cause I know exactly what Linus is. I am rounding the other side of middle age these days but I remember my first handful of sales jobs as a young man selling tech... working as a sales manager and then briefly as a purchaser before moving on to other things. I worked with a lot of Linus types. They knew enough to have a tech conversation... but really they where sales men. Guys that knew to not talk themselves out of a sale. Fun guys to hang with but they would also sell timeshares for a living if the money was right. I still run into people I knew back then now and then... when I'm out looking to buy a new car, or book a vacation, or find myself in need of a $20k skid of bolts. And hey when I run into old "friends" at least I know when I'm being BUDDYED into a great deal. As one of my favorite Linus type work friends from back in the day told me once when I was making a deal for a family member, "Hey if you can't gouge friends and family who trust you how are you going to gouge strangers???"

The most disappointing take away from this one for me... is really just that Linus really does seem to be a willing to try all that hard to just be better. I thought his admitting he needed a boss to run the place and him was a turning point, maybe not.

LMG has some talented people on board, but they just don't seem to have the production environment required to let that talent really show off on air. Their merch tends to be a bit overpriced (as is most merch, the cost of doing smaller production runs with higher quality materials) but the product development team seems to do a really good job as there aren't many complaints about the over-all quality of their stuff.

LMG has some talented people on board, but they just don't seem to have the production environment required to let that talent really show off on air. Their merch tends to be a bit overpriced (as is most merch, the cost of doing smaller production runs with higher quality materials) but the product development team seems to do a really good job as there aren't many complaints about the over-all quality of their stuff.
The most telling part of the first video is the part of LMG's own video where all the employees said they wish they had more time to do more concise, accurate reviews. Also, when his co-host on his WAN show said that he should have gone back and reviewed the waterblock more accurately for the product it was actually intended for Linus talked him down. Seems the whole channel is based around churning out clicks, not accuracy. I suppose Linus will have to decide which he wants to do.

Did you watch the video? it sounds like you didn't based on your responses...
Yes, I could not be following because I am not sure, nothing Linus claimed was debunked, it is just possibly false.

Same thing can be said about Linus if you want to deflect like that. Did LMG ask GN for comment before claiming that GN's testing was not as good as theirs? I think not.
I do not want things, deflect ? Yes LMG should have asked (if they do not recently openly claim to be the case) if GN reuse older benchmark value vs always make 100% new one with updated games-drivers to save time or not. Obviously a random LMG employee giving a tour is not a journalist either, LMG has no journalist and his not a news channels as well.

Edit: The responses by Linus have also fully justified that there was no point in getting any comment from LMG. It would have been full of useless crap.
You cannot know that in advance and no there would have had a point, if LTT had decided to fully reimburse the cost of the prototype to the start up it is something GN could not have known and quite relevant information.

I think GamersNexus did LTT a favor. We were all saying and thinking these things already but GamersNexus just said it publicly. It seems like every other video they put out has errors or on-screen corrections that they didn't bother to check or go back and fix. And the stuff with the pwnage mouse or the billet labs water block looks bad no matter how you slice it. I know Linus said they wouldn't discuss it at the WAN show but at this point either the CEO or Luke or someone needs to imho.

Factually incorrect. If he thought he was perfect, he wouldn't have a policy for errors&corrections.

Source: https://gamers.nexus/ethics-statements/errors-corrections-amp-data
Lol yea he strives for perfection is what I meant which is a good thing. Which is also why he is so harsh on LTT because he feels far Superior enough to talk down to Linus condescendingly even though Linus is technically more successful than him monetarily I presume.

Not the only possible reason, would have wanted for example to be clearer that the selling auction was a charity one from a miscommunication that they agreed with step to reimburse the custom prototyping (which GN would have been free to include or not, with the response from the startup to let the audience judge by themselve).
If Linus was interested in working out his actions after it was brought to light, then he would have likely never done it. Also and lets be honest, Gamers Nexus did this for views. Would have been a waste of months of research if GN just acted like LTT's free error correcting team.
Has for clicking the video not being worth your time that like saying a cooking show it is not worth your time for x,y,z reason, that it a really strange point of view, do you like the show or not. You do not need youtube videos and certainly not LTT for reviews when you need one
Me sitting down and watching something does not mean I enjoyed it. Ever heard the phrase I'd like 10 minutes of my time back, because most YouTube videos are 10 minutes or more? With tech review channels, it tends to be a lot more than that. Just because you put the effort into making the video doesn't mean I ended up liking it. The only way for me to find out is to watch it which doesn't mean it should be confused with liking it. Also yes a cooking show can waste your time. This is why when Linus called adblockers as pirates was really ignorant to that possibility that sometimes his videos are in fact a waste of time. Like how many USB's can you plug in, which is a video he made and I didn't watch because the title was enough to know it would waste my time. LTT's job is to pump out as much content as possible for the money. Just like most things when you make too much of something the quality tends to go down. It becomes a literal waste of time to watch.

I don't think Louis Rossman hates the people nor culture of NYC, but the inane bureaucracy, municipal corruption, and constant awareness of greed of downtown real estate just got to him. The fact he can't stop talking about it means he wishes NYC would have worked out for his business.
He did talk about how much he hated walking outside and smelling piss and looking at trash on the ground. Nothing towards the people itself, just the way NYC handles itself. He lived most of his life there, so of course he's gonna miss it.
I actually really enjoyed his videos of touring post-pandemic downtown NYC. The amount of empty or unused buildings implying businesses were drying up was a real eye opener.
You see this a lot in NJ as well, but a lot of NYC people are moving out to places like NJ. This has caused the housing market in NJ to skyrocket. They're even moving upstate NY, which died in the 70's due to a lack of jobs. I do like his content on NYC real estate because you know another 2008 is coming.

Honestly, I'm a bit confused why a 3090ti sent to them with the billet labs block wasn't used and why they didn't use another 3090ti in case they thought maybe the 3090ti sent to them was binned or something. Why did the reviewer think using the 4090 as a substitute was okay? This whole billet labs issue is just something else. This billet labs issue was pretty recent so I am weary of GN's intentions and that they had supposedly spent months looking into LTT issues already.

I think if GN made a video purely about the factual mistakes or data on graphs and tables, and part specifications then I think it's okay not to contact LTT about it. But the BilletLabs issue isn't a data/fact issue that falls into journalism and I don't think that was good of them to not reach out for comment.

Also yes a cooking show can waste your time.
Obviously but it will not be limited about how good the cooking advice actually are, it is not the reason people watch them.

LTT is an office drama reality show involving tech (like good running cooking show are office drama involving cooking), their opinion about ads blocking people that are financed by said ads does not change how good their office drama/editing/script are.

Is it possible that LTT is just really bad at reviewing, that Linus is a liar, and or asshat? The billet labs story on the Linus side is pretty full of holes and the hole Linus is digging is pretty deep now.

Obviously but it will not be limited about how good the cooking advice actually are, it is not the reason people watch them.
I've seen enough cooking shows to know that they often use exotic ingredients that are found in the jungles of Mongolia. It can very well be limited by the cooking advice.
LTT is an office drama reality show involving tech (like good running cooking show are office drama involving cooking), their opinion about ads blocking people that are financed by said ads does not change how good their office drama/editing/script are.
When Linus said he didn't want to go back and edit a video because it would cost $500, then yes it can effect their quality. They also don't just make money from ads, as they do sponsorships and sell crap without warranty. You want to look at LTT as a office drama show, but that's not how they present themselves. They are a tech review YouTube channel. If Gamers Nexus is upsetting their integrity, then they also agree they are a tech review channel. Not watching their videos will have a direct financial effect. It's not like Linus is Jon Stewart who tells you LTT is not a serious tech review channel. That's what Jon Stewart did on the Daily Show all the time, and that's announce they are not a real news source and should not be considered journalism. Linus Sebastian is not a funny guy or entertaining. He is charismatic, which is why people do take he time to watch his videos.

ezgif-1-7889dc2960.gif

When Linus said he didn't want to go back and edit a video because it would cost $500, then yes it can effect their quality.
Yes and no, the ridiculous video about using machining, them fighting about it and what not to try to make the cooling work on a bad card could be the best tv episode than the well-made review alternative. Without counting all the tv episode about it that crossover other channels, which is just unexpected bonus.

You want to look at LTT as a office drama show, but that's not how they present themselves
They do a lot, could just be the algorithm and what I end up watching, but there is more content about how LTT work than reviews, it seems. They do yes want to say they are serious reviewers for some reviews and want to be some time it is true but that not the main driving thing.

If Gamers Nexus is upsetting their integrity
To be fair they are being accused of stuff much more serious than being bad at doing reviews and that what their response focusing on.

When I clicked over to YouTube with that one, there are now a half-dozen or more responses/coverage of the spat.

Where's that popcorn.gif...? Ah, this one'll do, given earlier comments:
watching-popcorn.gif

-bZj

Chris Titus with some concerns

"..and how do you justify positively reviewing a product you're partial owner in? You know, I mean this very sincerely when I say that you-know-who should chamber one round and go deep into the woods, it's quiet.. a muffled "pop" and birds scattering from trees."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGu0_8whK54

Never seen this channel pop up into my feed before. Pretty decent take to me on it. Maybe I missed something did Billetlabs contact GN first about the whole prototype being auctioned off issue or did GN take it upon themselves to do this and nuke LMG? A lot of this just feels so Self Serving for GN.

"You know, I mean this very sincerely when I say that you-know-who should chamber one round and go deep into the woods, it's quiet.. a muffled "pop" and birds scattering from trees."
A bit over the line tbh if that's what they said. Also just hands LMG examples of unnecessary attacks (which can be used to deflect from legit criticism).

Never seen this channel pop up into my feed before. Pretty decent take to me on it. Maybe I missed something did Billetlabs contact GN first about the whole prototype being auctioned off issue or did GN take it upon themselves to do this and nuke LMG? A lot of this just feels so Self Serving for GN.
Steve contacted Billetlabs after Linus said he auctioned off the block instead of selling it (I think). But no, I see Steve as more of a consumer advocate, and since Linus has such a huge following I don't see anything wrong with him calling them out on their many inaccuracies. It's not like he hasn't done it with many other big industry computer retailers and manufacturers (Newegg, Alienware, etc). Also, Linus called Steve out which seems to be his habit, and since Billetlabs is apparently just two guys I think it was unfair of Linus to slam them that way without at least testing their product properly.

Regardless of what Linus says about Billetlabs now the damage has already been done. All those people who have seen that particular video and use Linus' multiple channels as their only source of info might stay away from them for good.

Still, I'm tired of watching him do episodes on him wiring his house up, showing his pool and his Lamborghini. Am I the only one who finds this stuff uninteresting? I feel like I'm watching an episode of MTV Cribs or something. Yes, you're wealthy, you have nice things, we get it.

Steve contacted Billetlabs after Linus said he auctioned off the block instead of selling it (I think). But no, I see Steve as more of a consumer advocate, and since Linus has such a huge following I don't see anything wrong with him calling them out on their many inaccuracies. It's not like he hasn't done it with many other big industry computer retailers and manufacturers (Newegg, Alienware, etc). Also, Linus called Steve out which seems to be his habit, and since Billetlabs is apparently just two guys I think it was unfair of Linus to slam them that way without at least testing their product properly.

Regardless of what Linus says about Billetlabs now the damage has already been done. All those people who have seen that particular video and use Linus' multiple channels as their only source of info might stay away from them for good.

Still, I'm tired of watching him do episodes on him wiring his house up, showing his pool and his Lamborghini. Am I the only one who finds this stuff uninteresting? I feel like I'm watching an episode of MTV Cribs or something. Yes, you're wealthy, you have nice things, we get it.
I agree with almost everything you said. I think anyone getting their information from only one source at all needs to change that habit. But as I stated earlier in the thread, the inaccuracies being called out are 100% don't really need to contact LMG about that for a statement. The billet labs situation with the block being auctioned off and nuking the review (really disgusting move by LMG here). If that video didn't have anything about the inaccuracies and just the billet labs situation and GN just did not care to get LMG's side of the story GN is unethical just like they are saying LMG is.

Personally I kind of liked seeing him wiring up his house because I always wondered if I could have done something differently or better with my house. Still wouldn't do a lot of the things he did, but there are some things he did that I never knew existed and wish I would have done it or did it afterwards.

I agree with almost everything you said. I think anyone getting their information from only one source at all needs to change that habit. But as I stated earlier in the thread, the inaccuracies being called out are 100% don't really need to contact LMG about that for a statement. The billet labs situation with the block being auctioned off and nuking the review (really disgusting move by LMG here). If that video didn't have anything about the inaccuracies and just the billet labs situation and GN just did not care to get LMG's side of the story GN is unethical just like they are saying LMG is.

Personally I kind of liked seeing him wiring up his house because I always wondered if I could have done something differently or better with my house. Still wouldn't do a lot of the things he did, but there are some things he did that I never knew existed and wish I would have done it or did it afterwards.

It’s kind of interesting in bits and pieces but every time he does one of those videos I have a feeling he’s trying to write off his house off as a business expense.

A bit over the line tbh if that's what they said. Also just hands LMG examples of unnecessary attacks (which can be used to deflect from legit criticism).
Right, I'm thinking more time should have been taken to verify the quote rather than rush to meet a deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeho
like this
Back