Fallout 3 New Vegas is Gold with PC Specs

I take issue with that. Exploration in Fallout 3 was terrible. Oblivion had variety, it had different climates, it had more elevations, it had more cities and towns and you could explore every ruin and cave which dotted the entire map. Fallout 3 was just flat and muddy and boring. Everything was the same palette. Everything was the same texture. Everything was the same model. You couldn't explore most ruins, there were few places to go, there was nothing to do. I thought all this boring brown crap died with Quake 1.

Fallout 1 and 2 and FO Tactics were not boring nor repetitive because how the 2D world was drawn and how structures and maps were created. Bethesda took a great franchise and made it the most repetitive and uncreative sandbox FPS I have ever seen.

Stalker is what you really should be looking at if you want to see a well done and immersive RPG like sandbox post-apocalyptic FPS world that is not repetitive and always engrossing.

Oblivion had the same few textures repeated a few million times. Though FO3 did as well, but something about the look of it was more interesting then the bland, generic, lifeless feeling, a-typical fantasy world of Oblivion.

I was fascinated by The Capital Wasteland, and loved every minute of the exploration. Seeing The Jefferson Memorial, and The Washington Monument, were highlights. Exploring the Metro was also hugely entertaining. For me, it was one of the greatest worlds ever created in a game. I completely felt that I was visiting a city that had been wasted by a nuclear holocaust.

I was fascinated by The Capital Wasteland, and loved every minute of the exploration. Seeing The Jefferson Memorial, and The Washington Monument, were highlights. Exploring the Metro was also hugely entertaining. For me, it was one of the greatest worlds ever created in a game. I completely felt that I was visiting a city that had been wasted by a nuclear holocaust.

It was too barren and fake. It's been 200 years and yet nothing grows? 20 years after Chernobyl, that place has more flora and fauna than anywhere else in that region because there's no human interference. Plants flourish, animal populations have returned to 19th century levels and are thriving.

Some mods try to fix this though.

My biggest issue was not the wasteland, but the city. The ruins all felt so fake and the textures were so bad. It didn't feel like a city to me, just a low polygon pile of artificial walls.

I criticize the game a lot but I did play it for many months and my entire map is discovered. I just always want more. The whole time I was playing I was grinding my teeth with disappointment but I kept pushing on because I loved the old games and I loved Oblivion.

At least both these games had huge modding communities because the out of box games as made by Bethseda were sorely lacking.

I'm split with fallout 3, I did think they did a good job at a modern remake although the consolization shone through a bit but I'm so used to this crap now I've developed a sort of natural offset for it when judging games, so ignoring the console factor I thought it was a good attempt.

It's a post apocalyptic world, so it's going to be a lot of rocks and wasteland and mud, there isn't really any way of avoiding it, there are lots of places to explore in Fallout 3 though, in Oblivion you did have many dungeons but Fallout 3 has lots of similar things, some are caves, some are subways, some are buildings, some are vaults or underground bases.

I did find a lot of unique stuff to do in Fallout3 so it's not just the same terrible romp across the wasteland, there's a fair few different cities or settler locations ranging from small village to large towns and they're a bit more diverse than appears in Oblivion.

Both Oblivion and Fallout 3 had their drawbacks I played both for many hours and never finished either, I really should complete Fallout3 but I lost my save so would need to start again which is a big task.

It was too barren and fake. It's been 200 years and yet nothing grows? 20 years after Chernobyl, that place has more flora and fauna than anywhere else in that region because there's no human interference. Plants flourish, animal populations have returned to 19th century levels and are thriving.

Some mods try to fix this though.

My biggest issue was not the wasteland, but the city. The ruins all felt so fake and the textures were so bad. It didn't feel like a city to me, just a low polygon pile of artificial walls.

I criticize the game a lot but I did play it for many months and my entire map is discovered. I just always want more. The whole time I was playing I was grinding my teeth with disappointment but I kept pushing on because I loved the old games and I loved Oblivion.

At least both these games had huge modding communities because the out of box games as made by Bethseda were sorely lacking.

Bear in mind that there's a huge difference in power/environmental impact between Chernobyl's reactor malfunction and multiple nuclear warheads.

I actually started playing F3 again last night with FWE, MMM and NMCs texture pack, amongst others. The texture pack is like Qarl's for oblivion except not done with horrible ham-fisted normal mapping that makes everything look like it's wrapped in clingfilm, and Project Beauty has made the NPCs look less like mannequins and more like real people.

FWE's choice of damage models and difficulty adjustments is good too. Enjoying much more than previous playthroughs. Might even be motivated to finish it this time.

Spare-Flair, we all are just talking about subjective opinions. To me, Oblivion's dungeons were extremely repetitive. Each new area in fallout seemed to have something new and unique about it. Though bear in mind, I probably played more Oblivion than you and you probably explored more fallout areas than me. Anyways, you should try NMC's texture pack. It really makes fallout 3 look really nice.

As Jellylesq mentions, I'm packed with FWE, MMM, NMC, PB and several others. I'm a little worried that New Vegas is going to feel like a step back from the improvements of these mods. But I know the personalities and plot won't feel like a step back. Obsidian is a master in that area, just not a master in graphics and mechanics.

Last edited:
Vanilla Oblivion definitely had some leveling issues and issues with repetitive enemies, combat and dungeons but mods really did fix all the issues I had with the game and saying that it's one of the few games where I probably have spent 400+ hours in the past few years on.

Fallout 3 was great in and of itself though which I never used any mods for, never thought I needed them. Still game was great, loved exploring DC and personally after spending so much time in Oblivion the game felt smaller and much easier to figure out.

I hope New Vegas has just as much content and fun as Fallout 3 gave me.

While I want the game, DLC tilts me, so I'm probably going to wait for the GotY (or whatever) edition like I did with FO3.

Supposedly New Vegas will have a lot more unique areas and quests than FO3.

Yes.

Looking forward to my CE from Amazon.

I'm not seeing the $10 discount. I used it a long time ago. maybe they took it off? how did you get it working?

I'm not seeing the $10 discount. I used it a long time ago. maybe they took it off? how did you get it working?

You place preorder and get the $10 to your account AFTER the item ships. You'll get an email notification and the works. :)

You place preorder and get the $10 to your account AFTER the item ships. You'll get an email notification and the works. :)

They may have taken it off for the PC version. If I flip it to the playstation or 360, the $10 credit pops back to showing up on the main page.

They may have taken it off for the PC version. If I flip it to the playstation or 360, the $10 credit pops back to showing up on the main page.

You're right. Strange. I'd email them and ask them why.

Civ V, of course, pre-loaded, as did F1 2010.

I am really surprised that this title, the boxed copies of which are apparently already at stores, in boxes, has not been available on Steam for pre-load.

I'm on a slow connection, so a ten gigabyte file takes me nearly 20 hours to download. I'll be going to the store for this on Tuesday if I can't get this ahead of time off Steam.

Spare-Flair, we all are just talking about subjective opinions. To me, Oblivion's dungeons were extremely repetitive. Each new area in fallout seemed to have something new and unique about it. Though bear in mind, I probably played more Oblivion than you and you probably explored more fallout areas than me. Anyways, you should try NMC's texture pack. It really makes fallout 3 look really nice.

As Jellylesq mentions, I'm packed with FWE, MMM, NMC, PB and several others. I'm a little worried that New Vegas is going to feel like a step back from the improvements of these mods. But I know the personalities and plot won't feel like a step back. Obsidian is a master in that area, just not a master in graphics and mechanics.

I have always had NMC's texture pack. I'm going to install Fellout though and see if that makes any difference. The problem is that I don't have anything to do in the game. I did all the side quests before doing the main quest and I don't really feel like doing it as it seems uninteresting. I'm at the point where all the sidequests are done, the entire map is revealed, but I don't want to rescue my dad from the sleeping dream vault :)

I have always had NMC's texture pack. I'm going to install Fellout though and see if that makes any difference. The problem is that I don't have anything to do in the game. I did all the side quests before doing the main quest and I don't really feel like doing it as it seems uninteresting. I'm at the point where all the sidequests are done, the entire map is revealed, but I don't want to rescue my dad from the sleeping dream vault :)

Have you tried any of the DLCs? Not sure if that's what you meant by the side quests. I just finished Mothership Zeta and it was pretty fun. Different enough from the rest.

Obsidian's track record is dodgy at best. They're capable of producing utter garbage where there should have been greatness.

I disagree Obsidian is always great when it comes to plot and character development. Sadly that cannot be said about technical side of their game.

Steam is pre-loading Fallout 3 now, as I currently am getting mine downloaded as I type this. :D

I agree that Obsidian has blundered some games that appeared to be winners, but that's probably due to publishers or managers. At least I hope so.

Oh, and Fallout: New Vegas is a separate game. It has NOTHING to do with Fallout 3.

I agree that Obsidian has blundered some games that appeared to be winners, but that's probably due to publishers or managers. At least I hope so.

Oh, and Fallout: New Vegas is a separate game. It has NOTHING to do with Fallout 3.

Well KOTOR2 was time. They simply didn't have enough time to finish the game and LucasArts gave them something like 9 months to work on it and refused to give them any longer.

As for Alpha Protocol. According to someone who claims to be an insider in the studio, just general incompetence. Chris Avallone left the project to do New Vegas and the people in charge had no clue what they were doing and game was doomed from the start. He basically said AP should have been canceled instead of the Aliens RPG.

Back