Fallout 3 New Vegas is Gold with PC Specs

I want some color.

Okay, but...

It is supposed to be a post apocalyptic world... And please don't google this and tell me that in reality the world would be normal looking in a relatively short amount of time... the point is... this is a game... it's supposed to be a post nuclear world, and I don't want it to feel like Malibu.

See.

Okay, but...

It is supposed to be a post apocalyptic world... And please don't google this and tell me that in reality the world would be normal looking in a relatively short amount of time... the point is... this is a game... it's supposed to be a post nuclear world, and I don't want it to feel like Malibu.

See.

Its not going to feel like Malibu. If it does then they've completely missed the point of the series. It almost sounds like you're setting yourself up to be determined to dislike the game. Whenever I get it I want to go in fairly clean of expectations and thanks to Alpha Protocol my opinion of the studio is low enough that I'm not really hyped up about New Vegas and still am not going to buy it day one.

Its not going to feel like Malibu. If it does then they've completely missed the point of the series. It almost sounds like you're setting yourself up to be determined to dislike the game. Whenever I get it I want to go in fairly clean of expectations and thanks to Alpha Protocol my opinion of the studio is low enough that I'm not really hyped up about New Vegas and still am not going to buy it day one.

I understand where you're coming from there, even though I like AP despite its issues...I'm confident this is NOT going to be Fallout 3: Alpha Protocol. ;)

Okay, but...

For me it's not so much about the colour(although there should be SOME, and admittedly, there was in FO3 if you went out of your way to find it), but the general same-y-ness of everything. Everywhere in FO3 looked pretty much the exact same as everywhere else. "Hey, what's over that hill? Let's go find out!" "Why bother? It's just gonna be more endless expanses of broken up rocks and old buildings and cars." I want some imagination in the game that goes beyond "Bombs blow stuff up, they got bombed, so everything needs to be blown up."

I don't expect to load up NV and be greeted with scenery similar to Just Cause 2, and I don't really think Wabe does either. I'm pretty confident they can make the world feel appropriately post-apocalyptic without making everything out of rubble.

Well it's not like the PC version is going to be substantially better.

The only difference between Fallout 3 on console and PC were slightly higher draw distances and higher resolutions.

I may have missed it, but didn't we all establish those were console shots?
yeah its not pc but that has nothing to do with him saying the graphics look good. if he thinks that blurry low res texture crap in the videos looks good then he needs to play some modern games.

What exactly is horrible? The buildings look fine. Some people seem to forget the setting when it comes to fallout.

What exactly is horrible? The buildings look fine. Some people seem to forget the setting when it comes to fallout.
its low res and blurry as hell looking in the texture department. also it looks nothing like a modern games with nice effects, animations, or lighting. are some of you just blind?

There are tons of people on this forum that feel Half-Life 2 is not a good game. Just because something is massively consumed does not make it good in everyone's eyes. It might just not be our cup of tea. Half-Life 1 was massively gripping for me. Half-Life 2 just felt discombobulated and uninteresting. I bought it for CS only.
Thats fine but you are clearly in the minority. Just because you don't like HL2 doesn't make it "shit".
The COD games actually have a very beautiful engine (despite it being heavily modified Quake 3 engine) and are a good example of crappy single player gameplay (except for the sniper mission) while having good graphics.

I'm not saying that old games like Deux Ex weren't great because of their graphics, but those games aren't being sold as new games today with current gen technology. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are.

Metro 2033 is a great game though, I was scared out of my mind to play more than half-way through though. I was simply blown away by the depth of the gameplay. When I played the levels where you fight the nazis and I discovered that the game actually had a working stealth system and I could actually find alternate routes and do things lie turn off the generators, etc. instead of shooting my way through (with how strict the game is with ammunition), I was blown away and couldn't stop thinking about this game.

I just love Fallout and don't get me wrong, I played FO3 for many months when it first came out but I can't play it again and I couldn't play New Vegas because it just looks so bland. I am a visual person. I hate the Gamebyro engine. One day, Fallout 4 will be out, maybe TES V will be too...and it's likely they'll be on a new IDtech engine. I'll come back to the fold then.

I'm sorry but Metro 2033 was just a very bland and buggy game. I couldn't get into it. That game did nothing that hasn't been done better beforehand. It's shorter than FO3 which you seem to have enjoyed and has nowhere near the replay value.

Really other than Metro (good visuals crappy game), Crysis (i enjoyed it), and Far Cry 2 (fun but repetitive) what does Fallout 3 look like crap compared to.? Obviously not COD4 or even BFBC2 or any UE3 ports.

its low res and blurry as hell looking in the texture department. also it looks nothing like a modern games with nice effects, animations, or lighting. are some of you just blind?

Really other than Metro (good visuals crappy game), Crysis (i enjoyed it), and Far Cry 2 (fun but repetitive) what does Fallout 3 look like crap compared to.? Obviously not COD4 or even BFBC2 or any UE3 ports.

BababooeyHTJ, you live in a world of your own if you think games like BC 2 look worse graphically than that crap they have shown in Fallout NV videos. besides Alpha Protocol even pretty much every UE 3 game blows away would I have seen so for Fallout NV. :rolleyes:

BababooeyHTJ, you live in a world of your own if you think games like BC 2 look worse graphically than that crap they have shown in Fallout NV videos. besides Alpha Protocol even pretty much every UE 3 game blows away would I have seen so for Fallout NV. :rolleyes:

You've seen NV firsthand? Like I said I don't see how any of those games you mentioned looks that much better than Fallout 3. Once again with the right mods FO3 looks better than any of those games. I expect the same from NV at some point in time.

You've seen NV firsthand? Like I said I don't see how any of those games you mentioned looks that much if at all better than Fallout 3. I was completely unimpressed with BC2, btw.
I am only talking about what I have seen in the videos for NV. yeah Fallout 3 was not a bad looking game on the pc especially with text mods.

I am only talking about what I have seen in the videos for NV. yeah Fallout 3 was not a bad looking game on the pc especially with text mods.

You could have been looking at console footage, who knows. I would be shocked if NV came out looking worse than the game that was released two years beforehand.

The one thing that does make me nervous about NV is that it really has been in development for a short time.

You could have been looking at console footage, who knows. I would be shocked if NV came out looking worse than the game that was released two years beforehand.

The one thing that does make me nervous about NV is that it really has been in development for a short time.
well yeah I am pretty sure that it was console footage. still ZodaEX said the graphics looked fine in those vids when they clearly don't for a modern game.

As long as the world feels post apocalyptic, then I'm fine with it. But if I don't feel a strong sensation of the world having been destroyed by a nuclear war, then it's not a Fallout game. I guess I'm a little bit worried about the developer. I'm an admirer of Bethesda, and really wish that they hadn't passed this off.

Also, getting excited about a game before its release is part of being a gamer. That's not something I will ever stop doing.

I don't know how many times it need be said: better visuals enhance the gaming experience, and are an intricate part of the gaming, due to gaming being predominantly a visual experience, period.

Yes, gameplay and general design is equal in it's importance, but visuals enhance the experience and make a game, film etc. more immersive.

So, with F:NV, the visuals are horribly out-dated, and they actually do look worse than Fallout 3, for which, no, there is no "excuse" in this period in time of technology.

The game might have some excellent mechanics and aspects, but when you're looking at a game that just about matches Half-Life 2, which is six years old, and you're comparing to other games that have offered far better experience due to the visuals being more quality, it's impossible for anyone to say "visuals don't matter", which is ridiculous.

Bad CG in a film, and everyone complains. It ruins the immersion of the film. Same thing goes for gaming.

F:NV looks like garbage, period. It looks worse than F3, for which there is no excuse, and while I'm sure it could somehow still be enjoyable and even I might pick it up on day-one, staring at something so dated is going to take away from the experience.

Again: gaming is predominantly a visual experience, and the visuals are what enhance the experience, and anyone that states otherwise is just spouting ridiculous bull out of general ignorance and/or some "fanboi-ism" for a particular title.

No, visuals aren't "everything", but when they're as sorely lacking and out-dated as this, it's going to effect the experience, that could have otherwise been tremendous and really immersive.

I mean, ffs... the "reboot" of Duke Nukem 3D being done now looks incredibly superior to F:NV, and when I watched the vids of that, then the vids of F:NV again today, I was totally put-off and just felt that there's no excuse for the way F:NV presents itself visually. The remake of DN3D looks fantastic so far, and really drew me in... again, immersion. F:NV looks horrid.

F3 looked great, IMO, and I loved every minute of the 20x's I played it. This? I don't know. Difficult to really get into something that looks almost a decade old, and is further irritating knowing the gen we're in and running on $2k of hardware to play something that looks just above the original Half-Life.

You can argue all you want, but the game does look bad, there is no excuse, and visuals do matter, regardless of the gameplay, at least, to a certain degree. It's just not rational, honest or realistic to think or state otherwise.

As long as the world feels post apocalyptic, then I'm fine with it. But if I don't feel a strong sensation of the world having been destroyed by a nuclear war, then it's not a Fallout game. I guess I'm a little bit worried about the developer. I'm an admirer of Bethesda, and really wish that they hadn't passed this off.

Also, getting excited about a game before its release is part of being a gamer. That's not something I will ever stop doing.

You realize that the developer they "passed this off" on is Obsidian and it was founded by several former Black Isle employees, the company responsible for the original Fallout games?

I realize this doesn't guaranty that it will be good, but i've already placed my bet that it will be, at least as good as FO3 which I enjoyed.

The scenery is supposed to look half rundown. Rail against the NPC models and animations all you want, but the scenery isn't bad.

fallout-new-vegas-20100813105212328.jpg

Fallout is so much more than just a "destroyed world", but then again I'm not surprised that's all it is to you considering you love Bethesda.

The way I see it, it's going back to capable hands.

I spent hundreds of hours on Oblivion, and hundreds on Fallout 3. I also spent a bit of time on Morrowind, and years before that I spent hundreds of hours playing Wayne Gretzky Hockey, also by Bethesda.

So yeah, I like this Company.

Obsidian's track record is dodgy at best. They're capable of producing utter garbage where there should have been greatness.

They're the Treyarch of the RPG world.

Also here's a new article about the music in New Vegas: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6173/the_music_of_the_mojave_wasteland.php?page=1

Looks like Obsidian is putting a lot of thought into it to avoid the repetitive music of Oblivion and Fallout 3.

edit: I especially liked this tidbit:

Fallout is a game that allows for its players to choose their own role, and their own morality. Some players play the good guy, and others play the bad guy. We decided that the music system should reflect that.

If the player runs through the town of Goodsprings and kills everything in sight, the music will reflect that with a dark, foreboding tone. If the player is helpful to the townsfolk and doesn't cause too much trouble, the there is a much lighter, rural tone to the music.

You realize that the developer they "passed this off" on is Obsidian and it was founded by several former Black Isle employees, the company responsible for the original Fallout games?

I realize this doesn't guaranty that it will be good, but i've already placed my bet that it will be, at least as good as FO3 which I enjoyed.

Black Isle only made Fallout 2. Fallout 1 was made by a completely different team before Black Isle was even formed. Chris Avallone kind of adopted the series and he and the rest of the FO2 team created an amazing sequel.

I spent hundreds of hours on Oblivion, and hundreds on Fallout 3. I also spent a bit of time on Morrowind, and years before that I spent hundreds of hours playing Wayne Gretzky Hockey, also by Bethesda.

Obsidian's track record is dodgy at best. They're capable of producing utter garbage where there should have been greatness.

Alpha Protocol was garbage, but I'm completely confident that had it actually been allowed to be finished KOTOR2 would have been a better game than the first one. It already was approaching that point. The early parts of the story were good, the combat took what KOTOR had done and expanded on it a bit, the characters were pretty good. Its just too bad that they didn't have time to do everything.

Fun fact: According to Star Wars canon the main character in KOTOR2 is female.

I cancelled my Amazon collector's edition pre-order. Now I'm back to wanting it again. Ah well, maybe it'll be in the store.

If Steam doesn't pre-load this, then I'll be buying from the store on day one regardless.

I really hated all the 50s music in Fallout 3 but that's maybe because the songs kept repeating far too much. It was the same deal in Mafia II and ultimately one of the bigger reasons I hated those two games after enjoying them at first.

Hopefully the music is indeed improved and more atmospheric than anything.

Fortunately, it's easy to replace all the tracks with whatever you want in the Fallout 3 engine as they are just Mp3s to begin with but sometimes it causes a big memory leak.

I really hated all the 50s music in Fallout 3 but that's maybe because the songs kept repeating far too much. It was the same deal in Mafia II and ultimately one of the bigger reasons I hated those two games after enjoying them at first.

Hopefully the music is indeed improved and more atmospheric than anything.

Fortunately, it's easy to replace all the tracks with whatever you want in the Fallout 3 engine as they are just Mp3s to begin with but sometimes it causes a big memory leak.

Custom radio station mods in FO3 were excellent. I got so sick of listening to what was there. Though after over 100 hours thats bound to happen.

Yeah, I have quite a few music mods for FO3. I like how this time it will be in touch with your play.

That analogy would work better if CoD:WaW was worse than MW2.

For me it's not so much about the colour(although there should be SOME, and admittedly, there was in FO3 if you went out of your way to find it), but the general same-y-ness of everything. Everywhere in FO3 looked pretty much the exact same as everywhere else. "Hey, what's over that hill? Let's go find out!" "Why bother? It's just gonna be more endless expanses of broken up rocks and old buildings and cars." I want some imagination in the game that goes beyond "Bombs blow stuff up, they got bombed, so everything needs to be blown up."

I don't expect to load up NV and be greeted with scenery similar to Just Cause 2, and I don't really think Wabe does either. I'm pretty confident they can make the world feel appropriately post-apocalyptic without making everything out of rubble.
Part of the point is that Fallout isn't about what would happen if the bombs fell, but what people in the fifties thought would happen if the bombs fell. So yeah, giant wastelands and expanses of nothing, regardless of the fact that large sections of the country would go relatively unscathed.

Part of the point is that Fallout isn't about what would happen if the bombs fell, but what people in the fifties thought would happen if the bombs fell. So yeah, giant wastelands and expanses of nothing, regardless of the fact that large sections of the country would go relatively unscathed.

That doesn't change the fact that it's bland, uninteresting, and generally not fun to explore. I'm not advocating realism.

That doesn't change the fact that it's bland, uninteresting, and generally not fun to explore. I'm not advocating realism.

This is a sandbox game. It's hard not to get somewhat repetitive. It's exploration is better than Oblivion.

This is a sandbox game. It's hard not to get somewhat repetitive. It's exploration is better than Oblivion.

I take issue with that. Exploration in Fallout 3 was terrible. Oblivion had variety, it had different climates, it had more elevations, it had more cities and towns and you could explore every ruin and cave which dotted the entire map. Fallout 3 was just flat and muddy and boring. Everything was the same palette. Everything was the same texture. Everything was the same model. You couldn't explore most ruins, there were few places to go, there was nothing to do. I thought all this boring brown crap died with Quake 1.

Fallout 1 and 2 and FO Tactics were not boring nor repetitive because how the 2D world was drawn and how structures and maps were created. Bethesda took a great franchise and made it the most repetitive and uncreative sandbox FPS I have ever seen.

Stalker is what you really should be looking at if you want to see a well done and immersive RPG like sandbox post-apocalyptic FPS world that is not repetitive and always engrossing.

I take issue with that. Exploration in Fallout 3 was terrible. Oblivion had variety, it had different climates, it had more elevations, it had more cities and towns and you could explore every ruin and cave which dotted the entire map. Fallout 3 was just flat and muddy and boring. Everything was the same palette. Everything was the same texture. Everything was the same model. You couldn't explore most ruins, there were few places to go, there was nothing to do. I thought all this boring brown crap died with Quake 1.

Fallout 1 and 2 and FO Tactics were not boring nor repetitive because how the 2D world was drawn and how structures and maps were created. Bethesda took a great franchise and made it the most repetitive and uncreative sandbox FPS I have ever seen.

Stalker is what you really should be looking at if you want to see a well done and immersive RPG like sandbox post-apocalyptic FPS world that is not repetitive and always engrossing.
yeah I still like Fallout 3 but it did get quite boring and exploring was just not all that fun.

Back