Fallout 3 New Vegas is Gold with PC Specs

Fallout 3 was so awesome,

"Catastrophic system failure... Initiating core shutdown as per emergency initiative 2682209... I die...so that democracy may live..."

so sad :p

Fallout 3 just blew me away, and I'm trying not to go into Vegas with rose colored glasses on.

Very few titles can hold my attention for an entire month... very few... but Fallout 3 did just that two years ago. I'm buying the collector's edition of New Vegas... possibly the last time I'll ever buy a disc... because I'm still kicking myself over not buying the Fallout 3 collector's edition.

I covet that lunch box and pip boy bobble head. No way am I missing out on wasteland playing cards and Fallout poker chips.

Your master thesis, Darth Bobo? Does it have anything to do with The Dark Side of The Force?

Fallout 3 just blew me away, and I'm trying not to go into Vegas with rose colored glasses on.

Very few titles can hold my attention for an entire month... very few... but Fallout 3 did just that two years ago. I'm buying the collector's edition of New Vegas... possibly the last time I'll ever buy a disc... because I'm still kicking myself over not buying the Fallout 3 collector's edition.

I covet that lunch box and pip boy bobble head. No way am I missing out on wasteland playing cards and Fallout poker chips.

I bought the regular version at Wal-Mart then after I realized the awesomeness that was Fallout I went to GameStop and bought the lunchbox. FYI at my local Wal-Mart I think they still have two of the collector edition PS3 versions of Fallout 3 if you really really want it.

Any word on eyefinity/surround support yet? I cannot wait! Please be as good as the original.

As excited as I am, based on my F3 experience with bugs and random crushes, I think I'll wait until the game is patched up and ready to play.

I just cancelled my collector's edition order from Amazon - it's Steam for me now. I'm hoping for a pre-load on this as well.

I kept my order in for the hardcover collector's edition gamegiude though. I bought the Brady hardcover edition for Fallout 3 and it's one of the most beautiful books I own.

I just cancelled my collector's edition order from Amazon - it's Steam for me now. I'm hoping for a pre-load on this as well.

I kept my order in for the hardcover collector's edition gamegiude though. I bought the Brady hardcover edition for Fallout 3 and it's one of the most beautiful books I own.

With this being a Steamworks title I just didn't see any point in waiting for a retail box. I pre-ordered from Steam, hopefully I can pre-load before next Tuesday.

I wish I could be enthused about this but I'm a graphics whore for FPS games and the Gamebyro engine pisses me off more than any other engine for how ugly and ancient it is.

I love Fallout but the engine ruins it for me every time.

I wish I could be enthused about this but I'm a graphics whore for FPS games and the Gamebyro engine pisses me off more than any other engine for how ugly and ancient it is.

Also has by far the best modding community out there. Oblivion can be made to be one of the best looking games out. If you really want to put your hardware to the test use mods, especially with Oblivion.

Either way I'm all about gameplay over graphics.

Also has by far the best modding community out there. Oblivion can be made to be one of the best looking games out. If you really want to put your hardware to the test use mods, especially with Oblivion.

Either way I'm all about gameplay over graphics.

I love Oblivion. I can't love Fallout because the palette is so ugly. Oblivion's modding community is far greater than Fallout's and the variety is many times higher because of the setting. My FO3 has the mega texture pack and it still doesn't really feel that good. It's just bland.

I love Oblivion. I can't love Fallout because the palette is so ugly. Oblivion's modding community is far greater than Fallout's and the variety is many times higher because of the setting. My FO3 has the mega texture pack and it still doesn't really feel that good. It's just bland.

Removing the "green tint" effect with one of the environment lighting mods (fairly popular, forgot name) can help the game look much less bland.

Won't be in a hurry to buy necessarily though. I've learned with Oblivion and FO3, as good as the game is originally, it is the modding tweaks (even fairly small ones) that allow you to personalize your game that make them great. So no harm in waiting until more community content is made.

This is why also I disagree when people bring up how terrible the game engine is, and why working and switching over to ID Tech 5 is very great. As far as I know ID Tech 5 is not very accessible to modding relatively speaking (this has been mentioned by the developers), while the gamebyro engine Oblivion/FO:3 (and Morrowind) that has always been used is obviously very accessible to modding. You can design a mod (albeit a minor game world tweak) with the tools provided with no coding/programming experience within minutes. But that is really another topic of discussion.

Completely agree, was just sounding off about this to someone when I saw this post. The engine is ancient and the physics are laughable. How I am supposed to immerse myself in post apocalyptic universe when it looks and plays like a cartoon. Character models are creepy and animations are terrible. Graphics and gameplay should NEVER be mutually exclusive, I can skimp on one or the other but to totally abandon one is a deal killer for me.

They've had how many years to update this engine? Seems like a lot of sequels (maybe not this one) just use a level editor and kick out a "new" game for $50 when it's just a rehash of the same thing. Granted I haven't played it, I might actually enjoy it. There are plenty of mods available for this game which is HUGE to me as a pc gamer, for this game it's a selling point since I'm not a fan of the presentation.

I think you're talking about Fellout.

Yes, sir. Fellout and NMC's texture pack makes FO3 look as good as anything else out there.

Completely agree, was just sounding off about this to someone when I saw this post. The engine is ancient and the physics are laughable. How I am supposed to immerse myself in post apocalyptic universe when it looks and plays like a cartoon. Character models are creepy and animations are terrible. Graphics and gameplay should NEVER be mutually exclusive, I can skimp on one or the other but to totally abandon one is a deal killer for me.

They've had how many years to update this engine? Seems like a lot of sequels (maybe not this one) just use a level editor and kick out a "new" game for $50 when it's just a rehash of the same thing. Granted I haven't played it, I might actually enjoy it. There are plenty of mods available for this game which is HUGE to me as a pc gamer, for this game it's a selling point since I'm not a fan of the presentation.

You can take your UE3 games and I'll play the game based off of the engine with the best modding community out there. Am I the only person that uses mods here? I mean thats one of the main advantages of PC gaming.

Waa, FO3 doesn't look as good as that POS Metro 2033, waa.
Seriously I can't think of one better single player FPS experience in the past few years.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is fellout, and I think there are a few other mods to change the colors. I actually like the color palette myself though. Even though a blue sky is more realistic, I really like the greenish. Makes it feel more post-apocalyptic.

I like the setting for Oblivion better, but Fallout 3 is really just done a lot better. I doesn't even need as many mods to "fix" it. Although MMM (with greatly increased spawns setting) set with FWE makes for some really insanely intense fun. I even have the fake level uncapper mod. It's a crazy fun war. Nothing like 1 shot head popping off 20 ghouls while barely making it alive after 2 reavers get done with you. And there's nothing like drawing a small pack of deathclaws (with matriarch) into a supermutant encampment.

I also remember one time I bit more than I could chew when I shot at one supermutant. Soon, a host of them were chasing me.... then right in front of me was a deathclaw matriarch with her crew. Well, somehow I slipped aside behind a rock as carnage began. After the fighting was over, I just finished off the leftovers.

Last edited:
Yes, sir. Fellout and NMC's texture pack makes FO3 look as good as anything else out there.

You can take your UE3 games and I'll play the game based off of the engine with the best modding community out there. Am I the only person that uses mods here? I mean thats one of the main advantages of PC gaming.

Waa, FO3 doesn't look as good as that POS Metro 2033, waa.
Seriously I can't think of one better single player FPS experience in the past few years.

Yeah that's what I was saying, the second part of my post was about the mod-ability of the game, its redeeming attribute. Metro 2033 was gorgeous and I loved the gameplay. The story was solid and the environments were cool, some intense moments.

don,t have time for oblivion engine games anymore. too much walking around and listening to long winded dim characters. the excitment in the new fallout was about the nukes and when things went splat or kaboom. the original fallout was about strategy, story and lore. I know that.s a cynical viewpoint.

Really looking forward to New Vegas and giving the new game a spin.

Especially considering some of the original programmers are on the team, yes?

Pre-ordered Fallout: New Vegas Collector's Edition from Amazon. Opted for day-of-release using Amazon Prime. Free shipping too! :)

I look forward for new areas to explore and new AI to disperse with different weapons. Iron sights has me excited considering I prefer to use instead of V.A.T.S. For me, it's better satisfaction to be able to disperse an enemy naturally instead of with assistance.

Bethesda doesn't own the Gamebryo engine so they don't dictate when it gets updated.

I thought Fallout 3 would suck as I cant stand Oblivion and the like. That game rocked my world, it was so much better than I thought and this comes from a guy who hardly plays any games at all anymore as I find them often boring. Definitely looking forward to this. However the Vegas locale is a bit boring to me, I didnt care for the location in Fallout 2 either while I loved the rest of the game. My interest lies more in the background story, uncovering the mysteries of the pre-nuclear war and checking out the other Vaults and experiments performed in them. Plus DC was the coolest place it could be as you could see how the entire capitol crumbled.

I hope the next one is at NYC or some other interesting place with a lot of American history.

Also, this engine was outdated in Fallout 3, this graphics engine is OLLLDDD

Last edited:
Stores have it in stock now (back room)

My brothers store got theirs in a few days ago, just waiting for release date to put them on the shelves.

kinda surprised to hear they have it in brick and mortor 7 days or more early.. gotta think thats just asking for a streetdate break or a early torrent.

kinda surprised to hear they have it in brick and mortor 7 days or more early.. gotta think thats just asking for a streetdate break or a early torrent.

Its easier than trying to make sure they get there on the day or the day before. Especially this time a year when a bunch of stuff starts getting released.

Hmm, this makes me think I should buy the collector's edition after all... on day one, at the store... I've almost forgotten what a store looks like. If The Future Shop has it day one then I think I'll do it.

You guys who don't care about this are missing out. I'm like a kid at Christmas time over this.

Bethesda doesn't own the Gamebryo engine so they don't dictate when it gets updated.

Are they in some kind of agreement where they can't just switch over to another engine? At least they could pressure them update it at some point, this has to be the most dated engine in use for major titles.

It's not just that it's showing it's age, it's always been a rather weak engine both technically and artistically, at least to me. The Witcher used a very date Aurora (I believe) engine and I thought it looked great on the artistic side of things.

Thanks for pointing out fellout. I will try and see if it improves my FO3. I really tried to go back and play that game (I stopped about halfway through last time after I had discovered most points on the map but never touched the main story) and I just had no interest in playing, it bored me to death with the setting.

Oblivion I will keep returning to, but Fallout just feels so bland and terribly fake how the city and desert is modelled. It just looks like a bunch of twigs stuck into playdough and the cities are all so artificial with the ruins and underground and walls all the exact same shade of grey. It just had no atmosphere at all for me.

I would rather play 10 minutes of Metro 2033 or Stalker or Oblivion or even Fallout 2 than an hour of Fallout 3 but that's just me. It's not in indictment of the gameplay itself which is decent (still unsatisfactory in many ways though) but the setting and graphics just make me feel underwhelmed and put me in the mood to press Alt-F4.

It matters not one whit that the engine is old.

I take one look at this game, and I can see right away that this engine has it over any other. The roads, obviously, are the dustiest, the winds are the gustiest, the gates are the rustiest, the pies are the crustiest... the songs the lustiest... the friends the trustiest... Waaaaaaaaaay baaaaaaaaaaaack home.

It matters not one whit that the engine is old.

I take one look at this game, and I can see right away that this engine has it over any other. The roads, obviously, are the dustiest, the winds are the gustiest, the gates are the rustiest, the pies are the crustiest... the songs the lustiest... the friends the trustiest... Waaaaaaaaaay baaaaaaaaaaaack home.

LOL you got me

CIVILIZATION, I'LL STAY RIGHT HERE!!!!!

Gameplay > graphics.

Sure, it would be great to see Fallout: NV use something like idTech5, but I'm sure we'll see idTech5-versions of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout eventually. I'd prefer to play a new Fallout or two in the 2-4 years that we'll be waiting for those to happen, however.

are those the minimum specs or recommended specs?...doesn't seem very demanding

Gameplay > graphics.

Sure, it would be great to see Fallout: NV use something like idTech5, but I'm sure we'll see idTech5-versions of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout eventually. I'd prefer to play a new Fallout or two in the 2-4 years that we'll be waiting for those to happen, however.

Graphics = Gameplay. You cannot always make that separation or distinction. A large part of Fallout is the atmosphere if they are hellbent on making it an FPS.

If it was still 2D, I would agree that Gameplay > Graphics for the most part.

Gameplay > graphics.

So speaking about gameplay is it again same old shitty Oblivion with guns ?

Back