EVGA going officially under?

-dcb93e90c4e1548ffb16978a5a8d182270c872a9-s900-c85.jpg

Stopped caring about EVGA when they wanted a $1k (refundable) deposit to cross ship a warranty claim on a 4ish month old PSU I paid $200 for.

I get not wanting to deal with Nvidia anymore.
The writing was on the wall though when they choose to not pivot to AMD and or Intel. They needed to keep the GPU unit going even if they found Nvidia unprofitable or more PITA then it was worth.

I’d imagine cost would be a major factor. They would have to completely redesign their boards and coolers, set up entirely new marketing, negotiate with both companies to get product, and so on. It would be incredibly expensive and time consuming when we’re talking about one company who barely has any market share and another who, at the time, had never shipped a consumer grade GPU. Even if EVGA wanted to jump to AMD or Intel it’s not something they would have been able to do at the drop of a hat.

Aren't most EVGA PSU's other oems with EVGA sticker slapped on it... ( previously used Super Flower)

Example...
Supernova G6 = Seasonic Focus Gold

There are only a few companies that make PSUs, unless your power supply is from one of them they are all based on a platform from an OEM. That said, they’re not always exactly just rebrands of another model. As I understand it, EVGA, Corsair, etc can make changes to the PSU platform in order to meet desired power, price, or efficiency targets. So you could buy two rebranded PSUs with the same wattage from the same original platform and there could still be some differences between them.

1. EVGA made promises they couldn't keep, I was on the notify que for 2 years for a 3080 never received in stock/ or any feedback. Pissed off alot of customers, we used to buy EVGA PSUs exclusively for customers builds, not anymore.
2. MB were overpriced ,most do not need all of the OC stuff and voltage regulation extras. Modern binning makes CPU OCing difficult, remember the Silicon Lottery Company? Now OOB in Houston.
3. Profit margins are shrinking away due to sub 10nm litho and other cost increases. Most people do not understand, Nvidia spent like 5 Billion to jump the line to use ASML EUV for 3000 series litho.
So you know stockholders are demanding their money back ASAP, like in six months not 5 years. Prices go up not down.
4. Too much competition in market each major OEM makes at least 20 different boards for AMD and Intel platforms.

Aside from the few custom boards EVGA designed, I think they were all just rebranded ASRock boards, weren't they?
This is 100% untrue. After Shamino left which is who designed boards up to X58 Classified. TiN came in some time after and was the yang to Kingpins ying. TiN designed all the pcbs. EVGA was one of the first to rotate the socket and now there are many doing it. With the loss of gpu division it probably got alot more expensive to make motherboard pcbs. With TiN leaving right around SR3 launch that just left just Kingpin. They copy pasted TiNs design over and over. The last mainstream board he designed was Z390 and you can see all of the Zx90 boards up to this point are nearly exactly the same.
Even so, it was a silly business move on eVGA's part... even with restrictions most eVGA customers would have still bought their cards, I know I would have
That would mean its the same gpu/pcb on all cards and the only difference being the cooler. You would have paid hundreds over FE to have an evga cooler? Not many would have. The custom PCB and cooler were all performance driven and was what made them appealing to customers.
Reminds me of the GPP, when Kyle broke that story.
Thats because it is that. Kyle exposed nvidia. They publicly reclused, and tried to play damage control and said were no longer going to do any of that. And proceeded to execute GPP as it was planned.
Its common knowledge that Vince is leaving. He might still be employed at the moment while they are cleaning house but vince has stated and shown publicly that its over and hes packing up and moving back to US.

Aren't most EVGA PSU's other oems with EVGA sticker slapped on it... ( previously used Super Flower)

Example...
Supernova G6 = Seasonic Focus Gold
Most PSUs of any brand are rebrands.

Wasn't EVGA wasting a lot of money designing/tweaking custom boards vs basically reference board designs the others use? I heard that somewhere no clue if it's true or not.
I wouldnt say wasting money, this is what made them desirable over others in the same markets.

AIBs will meet the fate of the dodo birD.

Maybe for GPU cards,but not any time soon (and I hope never) for motherboards. Ethernet, SATA, USB, Wi-Fi, etc are now all done by these very small companies you never heard of.

Bonus suggestion: Don't buy anything on Amazon or NewEgg from a company whose name you can't pronounce.

Maybe, so far nVidia isn't making the moves that would do that though. It is hard to find nVidia branded GPUs at retailers. You'd think if the idea was to kill the AIBs and sell their own shit, it'd be easier to find in stock.
Nvidia is the main driver of AIBs losing money. I also say it in the context of not wanting to buy any new stuff. Each AIB has either raised prices, lowered quality or has poor support. There are no more awesome AIB companies left.

View attachment 583869
View attachment 583870

Friday 4/21/23 (Google Earth does not give time either) and not a single car or semi trailer in the parking lot.
I mean, if they are out of the GPU business, closing a factory and/or distribution center on a Friday is not unheard of for lower volume of products (PSUs, Mobo's, etc)... but yeah, not the best of signs...

They are still shipping items from that location. I received one Friday. I like to think the one red car in the parking lot is the sole B-Stock fulfillment person left in the building.
RMA's also go to their Brea HQ location. My B-Stock sale alert went off a few days ago so I assume they're still shipping those.

Here is the phone number for the address if you want to give it a jingle.
(714) 528-4500

I mean, if they are out of the GPU business, closing a factory and/or distribution center on a Friday is not unheard of for lower volume of products (PSUs, Mobo's, etc)... but yeah, not the best of signs...
Yeah if it was just their factory/distribution center but that's their headquarters too. Unless they have people working from home doing support or sales I don't see a reason why there isn't a handful of cars.

What would one expect would happen to someone who bites the hand that feeds them?

EVGA was first and foremost a GPU company, kept afloat with their GPU sales, which happen to all be Nvidia.

They basically gave the middle finger to Nvidia, claiming this is too expensive, and instead of having a proper contingency plan, decided to rely on their name alone. While they have solid products, it’s obviously not what the mass majority of consumers know them for, so sales tanked, and now people are leaving the company. While this is happening, Nvidia still floats on, doing what Nvidia does.

See, I’m being harsh because yes, Nvidia was expensive to work with, but they kept you in business, kept people employed, and made you a brand to be reckoned with in the GPU market.

Instead of the CEO just swallowing his pride and thinking about the brand and company in general, he thought about making more money first and foremost, without any assurances that would be guaranteed with that kind of move.

I hate to say it, but sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and do things you don’t want to if you want to be successful.

I honestly wish I could have gotten an EVGA 4070Ti.

They basically gave the middle finger to Nvidia, claiming this is too expensive, and instead of having a proper contingency plan, decided to rely on their name alone. While they have solid products, it’s obviously not what the mass majority of consumers know them for, so sales tanked, and now people are leaving the company. While this is happening, Nvidia still floats on, doing what Nvidia does.
I think, more likely, they were already having problems and this was their excuse for not releasing a new generation of GPU, something that is costly to do, without having to say that the whole business was sliding downward.

Or he just wanted to retire, couldn't let someone else run his company and make the calls, and figured let Nvidia take the blame not me
There's a small, but vocal, cadre of folks out there that will eat that kind of story up.

What would one expect would happen to someone who bites the hand that feeds them?

EVGA was first and foremost a GPU company, kept afloat with their GPU sales, which happen to all be Nvidia.

I think it was a lot more than product price that drove EVGA away from NVidia.

Question is - why not make AMD cards?

Because retirement sounded better? I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who viewed all of this as a way to exit stage left. Lots of companies were dealing with increased cost at the time, and I’m sure nvidia has not changed its tactics much in the past decade or so.

But maybe it all happened the way we were told. Doesn’t really matter anymore. Evga seems to be a part of history now as far as gpu’s go.

Cost and ROI factors. It’s not like they could just take existing designs and slap them onto AMD GPUs. They would need to spend time, and a ton of money, redesigning everything. Everything EVGA has ever done on the GPU side has been focused entirely on Nvidia, I can’t imagine a switch would be easy or cheap and with AMD’s position in the dedicated GPU market they might simply have figured that it wasn’t worth the investment.

For the last few years they've done a several controversial decisions, including overhigh shipping deposits. Looks like they have a crisis

Screw Jensen. The problem with nV letting Jensen retain this much control is that his vision starts to corrupt after too long. They all do this. It's very healthy for a company to shed their CEOs after so long and hire new talent on rotation.

Same with AMD, Su has done great for them, exceptionally, but her day must come and a new talent with new vision must be hired. BTW it looks like the Radeon 8000 series is going to wipe the literal floor with nVidia in performance and RT.

Perhaps EVGA needs to shake up thier internal management a little and refresh thier own vision.

BTW it looks like the Radeon 8000 series is going to wipe the literal floor with nVidia in performance and RT.
🤣

take this from someone with all AMD based rig... this is same stuff that is similar to what "Dallas Cowboy" fans have been claiming since 1995... "Super Bowl next year... watch and see!" lmao..

Until we see it first hand with real reviews.. there will be no floor wiping ... only tears hitting the floor from us tech enthusiasts

🤣

take this from someone with all AMD based rig... this is same stuff that is similar to what "Dallas Cowboy" fans have been claiming since 1995... "Super Bowl next year... watch and see!" lmao..

Until we see it first hand with real reviews.. there will be no floor wiping ... only tears hitting the floor from us tech enthusiasts
Yep, happens every release for the AMD fans. Predict destruction of NV and then the only destruction that occurs is AMD destroying more of their own market share.

Screw Jensen. The problem with nV letting Jensen retain this much control is that his vision starts to corrupt after too long. They all do this. It's very healthy for a company to shed their CEOs after so long and hire new talent on rotation.

Same with AMD, Su has done great for them, exceptionally, but her day must come and a new talent with new vision must be hired. BTW it looks like the Radeon 8000 series is going to wipe the literal floor with nVidia in performance and RT.

Perhaps EVGA needs to shake up thier internal management a little and refresh thier own vision.
Why would shareholders want to get rid of Jensen?

1689696526328.png

🤣

Haha so true about that cowboys nonsense. Every freaking season they start talking it up even when it's pretty obvious they don't have a good team.

Why would shareholders want to get rid of Jensen?

View attachment 584085
Right? As someone who has been using nvidia cards since my GeForce 2 Ti and someone who also owns quite a few shares of nvidia... I am 100% happy with Jensen. Keep him as CEO making the company money and spitting out awesome video cards. I get some people become salty they can't afford a flagship GPU anymore, but a company is about turning a profit, not giving away top of the line products for cheap. Obviously nvidia has calculated their business very well. (and yes, I understand that nvidia's business model is well beyond video cards for gamers these days, nothing wrong with that if it keeps them in business)

If anything now is a good time to sell PSUs, with ATX 3.0 being a new standard a lot of people are going to look to upgrade. If EVGA can't make it now, they never could have.

Right? As someone who has been using nvidia cards since my GeForce 2 Ti and someone who also owns quite a few shares of nvidia... I am 100% happy with Jensen. Keep him as CEO making the company money and spitting out awesome video cards. I get some people become salty they can't afford a flagship GPU anymore, but a company is about turning a profit, not giving away top of the line products for cheap. Obviously nvidia has calculated their business very well. (and yes, I understand that nvidia's business model is well beyond video cards for gamers these days, nothing wrong with that if it keeps them in business)

Yeah companies aren't charities so there's always gonna be an aspect of 'how much can we charge that they're willing to pay' (no matter how egregious you think that aspect is right now or not)

There's also always gonna be other aspects like 'rising costs of technological advancement' 'inflation rate that year' etc etc

Prices are going up no matter what, no way around it now matter what you say or how much you say it - I'm not even a fan of the prices myself TBH

I just decided to have Nvidia start buying my GPUs for me if that's the case a while back, so I bought some stock 💅

Back