EVGA going officially under?

There are diminishing points of return beyond a certain price point with any consumer product. With any product.

But in a world of $1000+ GPUs and $800 CPUs, and their power requirements, does a $600 board really seem that insane?

Whichever board I select for my AM5 migration will be $300-400, minimum.
I mean, it doesn't seem like it is out of the question in terms of cost, but the real issue is what do you get out of it? I have said expensive GPU and CPU (4090 and 13900K) and they are plenty happy on my $280 motherboard. The reason I went for it, and not something more expensive, is I couldn't find anything that is useful in the higher end boards. I don't mind spending money, but I don't feel the need to spend a certain amount just because other components were expensive if something cheaper gets the job done.

I still have a Z690 Classified board that I just put in my closet for future use. It's a great board that just didn't go with the aesthetic I am using at the moment. I'm sure I'll go back to it at some point. Paid $299 for it new a while ago.

I looked at those when they were on sale for that. Ended up spending way more on AM5 stuff but I really like those boards. Plus with EVGA seemingly going away it’s a cool collectible if you’re into that.

I looked at those when they were on sale for that. Ended up spending way more on AM5 stuff but I really like those boards. Plus with EVGA seemingly going away it’s a cool collectible if you’re into that.
Seeing as every video card since my 8800GT was eVGA up until my 4090, and I still have every single one... maybe, just MAYBE, one day... they will be worth as much as my old Voodoo cards... lol.

Go to reddit or toms then.
Gatekeeping [H] is the weakest thing I've ever heard. Considering that this board is already dying, actively telling members to leave is counter productive for everyone. It's not 2004 anymore. Sorry not every person here spend $20,000 on single computers, has $60k worth of displays, and/or is sitting in front of $100k of home theater equipment.

I also think that using money as your metric for hardness is not even in the spirit of what the page was originally about. It was always for nerds tinkering around and overclocking things. Which doesn't know any price bracket, it could be any price bracket.

For you hard = money.
For me hard = serious enthusiast. Which doesn't know a monetary amount.

Last edited:
[QUOTE

For you hard = money.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. people didnt buy celeron 300s back in the day and overclock them to 550 mhz because they were the expensive part, they did it to get great performance on the cheap. I will keep buying $250 mobos because they do what i need. Save the [H] money for your 10k desk.

I also think that using money as your metric for hardness is not even in the spirit of what the page was originally about. It was always for nerds tinkering around and overclocking things. Which doesn't know any price bracket, it could be any price bracket.
This. We are all here because we enjoy the same hobby regardless of hardware and what we pay for said hardware. I think sometimes it's forgotten in the craziness of the world lately.

Gatekeeping [H] is the weakest thing I've ever heard. Considering that this board is already dying, actively telling members to leave is counter productive for everyone. It's not 2004 anymore. Sorry not every person here spend $20,000 on single computers, has $60k worth of displays, and/or is sitting in front of $100k of home theater equipment.

For you hard = money.
It's not about using money as a metric. It's about this being a place that enthusiasts can come to share an enthiasm for a not-particularly-cheap hobby. And we come here because people outside of the hobby dismiss it and the costs associated with it.

And now those people are on this board.

Don't twist this into something it isn't. Nobody here is shitting on anybody hunting for the spots where value intersects with capabilities. We all started out there.

The problem is that most of us have grown beyond that as we've gotten older and have the ability to pay for more - to take the things we could only reach for when we first started out with PCs.

And that's where the stones are being thrown.

Gotta be honest here, one of my goals as a kid was to be able to build the best PC I could, without money being an issue. When I first went all in back on my X99 system with a 5960X (and every system ever since), I literally spent whatever I wanted to get the absolute best at the time when I upgraded. I buy the flagship GPU, every generation now. It fulfilled a lifelong goal / dream I had as a kid.... and while a lot of games are "meh" to me anymore, I absolutely love the graphics and raw power of the systems I build and enjoy every minute of pushing the hardware to its limits with overclocking. THIS makes me happy, and it is why I love this hobby to this day. No one should look at [H]ard as just money, it should be looked at as the passion for the hobby and the thrill of pushing hardware to its limits. No matter WTF you can afford to use, if you enjoy the thrill of pushing hardware and keeping up with the tech, thats [H] to me.

I built a $3k system in 2006, AMD FX and 7950 GX2. Was immediately obsoleted by E6600 and 8800 GTX. Told myself never again, and also do better research before buying...
Got lucky and managed to sell the parts off at cost and get a Q6600 + 8800 GTX a year later.

Last edited:
I built a $3k system in 2006, AMD FX and 7950 GX2. Was immediately obsoleted by E6600 and 8800 GTX. Told myself never again, and also do better research before buying...
Got lucky and managed to sell the parts off at cost and get a Q6600 + 8800 GTX a year later.
Had a Q6600 G0 stepping running at 3.6Ghz and a 8800GTX myself, and replaced the Q6600 with a Q9450 (also OCed to 3.6Ghz) and ended up running all the way up to a GTX 770 before I built my X99 setup with SLI and so on and so fourth... :)

Last edited:
It's not about using money as a metric. It's about this being a place that enthusiasts can come to share an enthiasm for a not-particularly-cheap hobby. And we come here because people outside of the hobby dismiss it and the costs associated with it.

And now those people are on this board.

Don't twist this into something it isn't. Nobody here is shitting on anybody hunting for the spots where value intersects with capabilities. We all started out there.

The problem is that most of us have grown beyond that as we've gotten older and have the ability to pay for more - to take the things we could only reach for when we first started out with PCs.

And that's where the stones are being thrown.
That’s saying the same thing. Anybody else that’s coming up now and doesn’t meet your level of money and is a poor can’t play with you.

An enthusiast buying a $1200 gaming laptop isn’t enough of a hobbiest to you.

wow, 200 off and its still 600 bucks? who spends that much on a motherboard? I wouldn't even spend 250.
Right? $250 is pushing it. You don't need one for Overclocking anymore, thats a thing of the past now days.

Right? $250 is pushing it. You don't need one for Overclocking anymore, thats a thing of the past now days.

Kind of depends on what hardware you're going to run on it. High end CPUs will sometimes benefit from higher end boards, simply due to things like better quality VRMs and better VRM cooling. Compatibility with higher speed memory can sometimes be better on the more expensive boards as well. And, obviously, the higher tiered chipsets will have more PCIe lanes so anyone that wants to run more than a couple Gen4 or 5 NVMe drives along with a GPU at full speed will find some benefit in spending more. There's also USB considerations, both internal and external, but those are things that can be worked around if you run out of ports.

I dunno, as I keep getting older, I have allocated MORE money to my hobbies as my career has moved on, so I go all out now for the fun of it. Life is too short to not enjoy what makes you happy.... and tweaking the living crap out of things makes me happy!
Gotta be honest here, one of my goals as a kid was to be able to build the best PC I could, without money being an issue. When I first went all in back on my X99 system with a 5960X (and every system ever since), I literally spent whatever I wanted to get the absolute best at the time when I upgraded. I buy the flagship GPU, every generation now. It fulfilled a lifelong goal / dream I had as a kid.... and while a lot of games are "meh" to me anymore, I absolutely love the graphics and raw power of the systems I build and enjoy every minute of pushing the hardware to its limits with overclocking. THIS makes me happy, and it is why I love this hobby to this day. No one should look at [H]ard as just money, it should be looked at as the passion for the hobby and the thrill of pushing hardware to its limits. No matter WTF you can afford to use, if you enjoy the thrill of pushing hardware and keeping up with the tech, thats [H] to me.
100% yes

My understanding is that Kingpin motherboards are made for extreme / LN2 overclocking. They have stuff like easily accessible pins for voltage monitoring, stuff a normal user has absolutely no use for which is why they are more expensive. I find it funny that we are on [H] of all places and people are gawking about a price tag for something [H]. All of these soft people need to go back to reddit.
Ya hafta wonder just how many of these boards EVGA has sold. Did they even break even on this board, considering design and manufacturng costs?

Kind of depends on what hardware you're going to run on it. High end CPUs will sometimes benefit from higher end boards, simply due to things like better quality VRMs and better VRM cooling

this
. Compatibility with higher speed memory can sometimes be better on the more expensive boards as well.
and this
And, obviously, the higher tiered chipsets will have more PCIe lanes so anyone that wants to run more than a couple Gen4 or 5 NVMe drives along with a GPU at full speed will find some benefit in spending more.

This
There's also USB considerations, both internal and external, but those are things that can be worked around if you run out of ports.
So I wouldn't pay extra just for more USB ports. But I would pay extra for more than 3 PCIE adapters.

I mean, it doesn't seem like it is out of the question in terms of cost, but the real issue is what do you get out of it? I have said expensive GPU and CPU (4090 and 13900K) and they are plenty happy on my $280 motherboard. The reason I went for it, and not something more expensive, is I couldn't find anything that is useful in the higher end boards. I don't mind spending money, but I don't feel the need to spend a certain amount just because other components were expensive if something cheaper gets the job done.
MB's just tried to go where GPU's went. I agree with you in that there are diminishing returns so quickly on over priced MB's. It isn't like one gets a guaranteed definable performance boost that makes a difference. You don't get more PCi-E lanes etc... A certain tier all have the same chipset. The "deluxe" editions should be 50-100$ more and not 2-3X!

For you hard = money.
I don't think anyone is gatekeeping [H] behind how much you spend on a PC although I can see how my post implies that. I couldn't care less if you spent $100 or $10,000 on a PC. I completely agree with you that [H] is about tinkering with [H]ardware regardless of price. My problem is with the ignorance of having a board designed specifically for tinkering and pushing things to the limit and people are having the response of "LOLOMG who would ever buy this" when as tinkerers we should be looking at this thing and realizing how awesome it is for us.

It is completely fine to say you would never have a use for what it offers and would not buy it. It is completely fine if you cannot afford it. For people to make comments saying that 'it's like putting racing stripes on your car' to me means that you are only looking at the price of it and not the capabilities.

For you hard = money.
Gatekeeping != suggesting a more understanding forum, wastrel.

Furthermore besmirching the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in your stylized plea for attention is pathetic.

Last edited:
PC

Personal Computer

The P is what we all appreciate most.

So, everyone is right. There is no specific [H] way to build, buy, tweak, run or use a PC. You know it when you see it. Since we all view the world differently, it stands to reason our definition of [H] is different, too.

And I still think EVGA's days are numbered. We just can't see the countdown clock.

And I still think EVGA's days are numbered. We just can't see the countdown clock.

The big question is really how much they're selling their higher margin products. GPUs might have been low margin, but EVGA was a major player in that market. The other markets they've entered in over the years tend to be either pretty niche or fairly crowded already. I wonder if their volume is enough to keep them going long term.

The big question is really how much they're selling their higher margin products. GPUs might have been low margin, but EVGA was a major player in that market. The other markets they've entered in over the years tend to be either pretty niche or fairly crowded already. I wonder if their volume is enough to keep them going long term.
No surprise that no one, no one, is arguing that EVGA has much of a future. Regardless of the details, I think we can all agree that EVGA is dead in all but name. Sad in a way. Once, a long time ago, Fry's Electronics was my go-to store. (I'm showing my age here). And now, Fry's doesn't exist in any form.

No surprise that no one, no one, is arguing that EVGA has much of a future. Regardless of the details, I think we can all agree that EVGA is dead in all but name. Sad in a way. Once, a long time ago, Fry's Electronics was my go-to store. (I'm showing my age here). And now, Fry's doesn't exist in any form.
Yep. Though I disagree knowing about fry's making you old ;).

I miss Fry's Electronics. :( The store here in Las Vegas opened up in the early 2000's, I was going to school for computers at the time (waste of money), and one of my professors recommended that store to us. They had a grand opening sale for a $100 PC with an AMD Duron, something like 256MB of RAM, and it came installed with Linux. Through the years I'd go there just to get lost and look at all the cool toys. Unfortunately around 2018 they started going downhill fast, shelves were constantly empty, and eventually they turned into a consignment store, and then shortly after shut down. Unfortunately, the nearest PC-centric stores near me all reside in California, so Best Buy and Amazon are my only options if I need something quick.

EVGA basically said we're done when they severed ties with Nvidia. As I said earlier in this thread--they're mainly known for their GPU's, not their PSU's, MB's, etc. The fact that they stayed open this long is surprising. I think they did it to move surplus stock, and/or because they knew people who bought their GPU's with the extended warranty were probably going to panic and try and take advantage of it before they shut down for good. It's honestly sad to see a good AIB go the way of the dodo, but such is the circle of life, especially when your bread and butter happens to be an item that produces thin margins. I do have an EVGA PSU, not sure what's under the hood, but it's a 750W Platimax modular PSU that's lasted me 3 years so far without any issues, hope to get at least another three or four more years out of it.

Another EVGA corollary to Fry's is their B-Stock sales (not current daily inventory) and the Fry's ads that used to hit 4 times a week. Every ad we scanned for the best deals. I think it was Fridays that had a four page ad. CPU/MB combos, RAM, GPU's HD's occasionally a case or PSU. Built and tweaked a lot of systems from there.

Anybody remember CompUSA? First time I went there I thought I died and went to heaven :ROFLMAO: I made ALOT of money building rigs with parts I got from there. A shame they went under.

Just browsing EVGA's site today to see just about every piece of hardware is out of stock. That's crazy compared to previous years.

Anybody remember CompUSA? First time I went there I thought I died and went to heaven :ROFLMAO: I made ALOT of money building rigs with parts I got from there. A shame they went under.
I went into a CompUSA once many years ago in Connecticut when we were visiting my wife's family for Christmas. They had an Athlon 64 3200+ in the display case for almost $100 more than I paid for one at Newegg a year before. I wonder if that had anything to do with their demise.

I went into a CompUSA once many years ago in Connecticut when we were visiting my wife's family for Christmas. They had an Athlon 64 3200+ in the display case for almost $100 more than I paid for one at Newegg a year before. I wonder if that had anything to do with their demise.
I know one of the reasons Microcenter is so awesome is because they will price match newegg, Amazon, etc if it is shipped and sold by those two. But many times at my location, MC is sometimes cheaper anyway! I always give MC my business first unless they simply don't have what I need/want.

I know one of the reasons Microcenter is so awesome is because they will price match newegg, Amazon, etc if it is shipped and sold by those two. But many times at my location, MC is sometimes cheaper anyway! I always give MC my business first unless they simply don't have what I need/want.
Seriously I wished there was an MC near me. There are 2 in opposite directions and each of them are a min of 6hrs each round trip :(

In a way I'm glad because I would begin with a ramen noodle and tea diet in order to have the latest and greatest :ROFLMAO:

Back