EVGA going officially under?

Anybody remember CompUSA? First time I went there I thought I died and went to heaven :ROFLMAO: I made ALOT of money building rigs with parts I got from there. A shame they went under.
I had a trifecta during the heyday. CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy all in the same corner strip mall. Fry's was 15 minutes away. None remain today.

I had a trifecta during the heyday. CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy all in the same corner strip mall. Fry's was 15 minutes away. None remain today.

Still plenty of Best Buys, and they do a decent job with price match and their online store has some decent drive, CPU and even GPU options/deals.

CompUSA was disappointing to see go. Their last days they bumped up prices by 250% and then "marked down" the items by 100%.

Seriously I wished there was an MC near me. There are 2 in opposite directions and each of them are a min of 6hrs each round trip :(

In a way I'm glad because I would begin with a ramen noodle and tea diet in order to have the latest and greatest :ROFLMAO:
LoL... yeah, I probably own part of that building by now... 🤣

Anybody remember CompUSA? First time I went there I thought I died and went to heaven :ROFLMAO: I made ALOT of money building rigs with parts I got from there. A shame they went under.
Yeah, I remember that one also.

OK, for you really old timers. Remember ComputerLand? The IBM stores? Inmac?

TLDR, I presume?
If I missed it, then sorry. I've done that more than a few times in life.
Why do you say that? Numbers?
Yes every metric, take your pick.

Active user count.
Total posts per day.
Total responses per day.
Total number of users that respond per day.
Posts per hour. Readers per hour.

And the metrics get worse if you start trying to quantify users/posts depending on the sub-forum.
Some sections that used to have some level of frequency get maybe 1 post per month. The photography sub-forum basically is dead. The Apple sub-forum gets about one new post per month. Multiprocessing subforum, dead. Non-Intel/AMD CPU's, dead. Virtualized computing, dead.

Heck, the entire forum basically dies for a minimum of 8 hours a day when it's night in the US. This is not a bustling corner of the internet. The only people that post here are hardcore nerds, the old faithful, or randos that stumble in (not including bots and spam).

The only subforum that gets any movement here really is news. With a smattering in the different build sections like Video Cards, Motherboards, etc and the Games section.

Last edited:
LMAO... so naïve

1690817059063.png

Yeah...That's some wishful thinking there from that poster. Realistically speaking, I don't think there's much chance of EVGA re-entering the GPU market now. Unless someone with a ton of capital comes in and either buys a stake in EVGA or outright purchases the entire company. Even then, they'd have to go with AMD or Intel, EVGA shot a nuke at the Nvidia bridge on their way out.

I always thought EVGA was biding their time as well...waiting for the right time to re-enter the GPU market

I always thought EVGA was biding their time as well...waiting for the right time to re-enter the GPU market
Enter the market how exactly? The burned bridges with Nvidia, and they certainly would hemorrhage money trying to make AMD or Intel cards since the market share just isn't there for them to make a profit with the way the make cards.

It seems very clear they will never re-enter the market. Even if they could it would be an uphill battle with a low chance of success. CEO more or less wants to retire, and the GPU division took most of his time. Low margins (although high volume) and some design flaws coupled with replacing them through their good warranty seemingly made it a risky and time consuming proposition he didn't want to continue doing.

He could have stepped down, or spun off the GPU business. If he really wanted to keep the GPU division alive he likely would have done something like that.

Seem that gpu business was a really good way to bring traffic to sell high margin items too, without it people going on their website for motherboard-PSU-etc.... will become much lower. And brandname, remove GPUs... I do not think they have a reputation for making particularly better than the competition PSU.

GPU was a place where they could beat the competition in 2 things at least, warranty friendliness and wait line during launch rush in that field beating the competition on the product alone seem almost impossible to be worth the risk-return or too hard to do, I cannot think of a last time where a video card or motherboard stood out of the pack, particular sku or brand stack.

If I missed it, then sorry. I've done that more than a few times in life.

Yes every metric, take your pick.

Active user count.
Total posts per day.
Total responses per day.
Total number of users that respond per day.
Posts per hour. Readers per hour.

And the metrics get worse if you start trying to quantify users/posts depending on the sub-forum.
Some sections that used to have some level of frequency get maybe 1 post per month. The photography sub-forum basically is dead.

I didn't even notice that there was a photography forum. For photography I like www.dpreview.com. Plus assorted forums for Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.
The Apple sub-forum gets about one new post per month. Multiprocessing subforum,

Back in the day, I had an ASUS A7M-266D, which used two AMD Athlon (32 bit) CPUs. But now, how many cores do you need? Just pick the CPU accordingly.

Anyone remember 2cpu.com? Answering my own question: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/716703/does-anyone-know-what-happened-to-2cpucom/
Heck, the entire forum basically dies for a minimum of 8 hours a day when it's night in the US.
Didn't notice that, but that's sad. One of the photography forums I read has people from all over the world, from Australia to England, plus people from other countries who speak English.

This is not a bustling corner of the internet. The only people that post here are hardcore nerds, the old faithful, or randos that stumble in (not including bots and spam).

I guess I'm one of the old faithful, at least in spirit. I don't think I'm a "rando." :)

So what are the forums that best carry on the spirit of [H]?
The only subforum that gets any movement here really is news. With a smattering in the different build sections like Video Cards, Motherboards, etc and the Games section.
Maybe the admins should just shut down or archive some of these "obsolete" forums.

I didn't even notice that there was a photography forum. For photography I like www.dpreview.com. Plus assorted forums for Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.
There are tons of photo places. But the point of the sub forum here is the community here.
Back in the day, I had an ASUS A7M-266D, which used two AMD Athlon (32 bit) CPUs. But now, how many cores do you need? Just pick the CPU accordingly.

Anyone remember 2cpu.com? Answering my own question: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/716703/does-anyone-know-what-happened-to-2cpucom/
The VP-6 was the heyday of enthusiast multi-cpu boards. But both AMD and Intel have gone the route of just making single dies with tons of cores. Which for workstation users is really the way to go anyway.
Didn't notice that, but that's sad. One of the photography forums I read has people from all over the world, from Australia to England, plus people from other countries who speak English.
Again, yes. But it’s also not “here”.
I guess I'm one of the old faithful, at least in spirit. I don't think I'm a "rando." :)

So what are the forums that best carry on the spirit of [H]?
N/a. Everything else either died or is mostly for casuals.
Maybe the admins should just shut down or archive some of these "obsolete" forums.
They aren’t obsolete per se. Still relevant. But as are most things on an enthusiast board, they are niche.

Enter the market how exactly? The burned bridges with Nvidia, and they certainly would hemorrhage money trying to make AMD or Intel cards since the market share just isn't there for them to make a profit with the way the make cards.
EVGA has the brand recognition they could become a successful AMD AIB partner. Look at XFX.

You're correct in pointing out the market share thing, but I think they could still be an AIB partner for AMD and make a profit. I generally like the cards Sapphire and Powercolor put out, but they only do a 2 year warranty on all their cards. If EVGA came out offering good coolers, solid PCBs, a 3 year warranty and the potential for a "step-up" program I don't think it would take long for them to become the #1 AMD AIB partner.

have they?...wasn't EVGA their most successful board partner?...would Jensen really say no if EVGA wanted back in?
I'm sure if nvidia offered a good enough deal they'd be back, I'm not sure nvidia has enough incentive to do so, even considering how well evga sold their gpus. Nvidia can just sell more of their own, at a higher price, to enthusiasts and professionals.

Easy to do when all you do is rebadge.

Why are people suddenly all cynical about companies making use of OEMs? There’s pretty good reason to be doubtful of buying anything expensive from EVGA as is.

With Evga, at least right now, I don't think the issue is the OEM they use, those are well known. The issue is what is the OEM giving out warranty wise for the same product elsewhere as compared to Evga? So, if it's an OEM's product that usually has a 10 year warranty then why is Evga rebadging with a 3 year? That's what's telling to some. If it's the same 3 year everywhere then that's telling, too.

Back