EVGA going officially under?

For those who didn't bother to open the page and read the article ;)

Update 07:45 UTC: We've heard from workers at EVGA Spain "it's just another day at the office". So maybe it was only Kingpin/the OC team in TW that has resigned, or the whole story is completely untrue.

Even before the update I find it hard to believe that 175 people all resign at once. Unless there is some culture difference over there I seriously doubt the entire team would be in a financial situation where they could just leave.
It's always another day in the office; until it's not.
Is that actually true? I would have expected the money to be in all the accessories like CLCs and keyboards and stuff, but I guess maybe they don't actually sell that many of those, despite offering them.
Their margins on other products were certainly better, but people were going to them for their GPUs. That's what they were known for. If someone happened to pick up another item it was a bonus.

The rumor also goes on to say that once Intel turned to the "first-tier manufacturers we knew" and Team Green became aware of this, NVIDIA began to threaten its partners that if they took on Intel, then NV would no longer work with them, and they would not receive chips ...
First-tier manufacturers is the key term: do they mean "First-tier in China only" (like Colorful), or the big worldwide names like ASUS, MSI, etc?
Nvidia has wanted to drop AIB partners ever since the first FE card appeared. The eVGA CEO claimed that Nvidia did not think AIB partners added much value and compared them to leeches. But remember, Nvidia is no more evil than AMD.

Sounds similar to what 3dfx tried to do, but failed, then got bought by Nvidia. Dropping AIB partners take 2?

1688751814769.png

Sounds similar to what 3dfx tried to do, but failed, then got bought by Nvidia. Dropping AIB partners take 2?
A little bit different here... 3DFX was poorly managed and after Voodoo 3, really failed to innovate while Nvidia and ATi at the time were progressing faster. The late 90's was a slaughterhouse for tech companies and startups, only the best ended up surviving the tech bubble.

I should note; I loved my Voodoo3 3000 AGP and still have it... lol.

I get not wanting to deal with Nvidia anymore.
The writing was on the wall though when they choose to not pivot to AMD and or Intel. They needed to keep the GPU unit going even if they found Nvidia unprofitable or more PITA then it was worth.

I found it interesting that there are no new component parts available on their website for several weeks now. Nothing "in stock". No new GPU's, power supplies, MB's or coolers. Just some odd ball accessories. No B stock sales lately, either. Writing is on the wall. Reminds me of Fry's electronics at the end.
Completely different. Fry's became a schlock house brick and mortar store with less and less inventory. I was a loyal Fry's customer for years, bought cases,motherboards, CPUs, drives, etc all from them. But then Newegg emerged and Fry's got caught with its pants down, as it were.

EVGA is a respected vendor.

https://www.techpowerup.com/310955/evga-withdraws-from-the-motherboard-market

Korean overclocker Safedisc, writing on Coolenjoy tech forums, stated that the company's entire 170-strong workforce in its Taiwan office involved in the motherboard business, have resigned, including KINGPIN.

Can't say i'm surprised one bit of this development after their GPU departure. Don't think they never made a big dent when selling mobos compared to the more seasoned players, except maybe the X58 lineup.
More confirmations on this story coming in from GamersNexus today

"EVGA Slow Vanishing Act" / "Winding down operations"

I really feel like either Evga gets bought merges or something like that or the owner is going to sunset the company for good.

Total speculation here.

Another post from evga.
All I will say, BFG made similar statements until the moment they dipped.

https://forums.evga.com/Is-EVGA-going-to-close-m3608890.aspx#3609065

Hello,

We have seen false internet rumors today regarding our ongoing operations.

EVGA announced back in September of 2022 that it was leaving the GPU market but would continue its other lines of businesses.

EVGA continues to build & sell PSU, as well as its line of Z790 motherboards, capture devices, mice and keyboards.

EVGA continues to support and warranty all of its products to its customers.

Consistent with our prior announcement, EVGA has scaled down some operation and some employees have resigned. EVGA wishes them all the best in their future endeavors.

Postings suggested that Vince “Kingpin” has left EVGA. This is false. Kingpin remains with EVGA.

EVGA’s operations are continuing with no change to our commitment to our customers.

Thank you.

Yup, Nvidia. This is why I recently turned down a position at BofA and took one at a family owned company. These mega corporations only care about their investors. Since I will never be a mega investor, I need to look out for me and support the little guy when possible.
I wonder what "little guy" you're going to buy a GPU or console from? LOL.

I almost bought a 3090 Ti Ultra when EVGA started clearing inventory after declaring their exit from the GPU market. I figured their warranty service wouldn't be worth a damn so passed on the purchase. My 3080 has about 8-9 months left on its warranty.

My next GPU will be an Asus or Sapphire.

From the toms article. Not good lol.

According to the rumor, EVGA's personnel from the Taiwan office, including legendary overclocker Vince "K|NGP|N" Lucido, resigned, and closure was imminent. We reached out to Lucido, but unfortunately, he told us he couldn't comment at this time.

I wonder what "little guy" you're going to buy a GPU or console from? LOL.

Almost-heavenly Micro Devices

Another post from evga.
All I will say, BFG made similar statements until the moment they dipped.

https://forums.evga.com/Is-EVGA-going-to-close-m3608890.aspx#3609065

From the toms article. Not good lol.

According to the rumor, EVGA's personnel from the Taiwan office, including legendary overclocker Vince "K|NGP|N" Lucido, resigned, and closure was imminent. We reached out to Lucido, but unfortunately, he told us he couldn't comment at this time.

Yeah their 'corrections' of these rumors seem to smell more and more of

giphy (12).gif

But I also just got done being previously told that saying 'no comment' means absolutely nothing at all no-way no-how, so maybe that's what Vince meant :)

So little, I play the world's smallest violin for them. :ROFLMAO:
1688778957273.png

Back on topic though, as I said previously, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. And they all claim to still be in business until they aren't just to keep the lower level employees working while they plan out executive exit strategies and golden parachutes.

Can't let the lemmings take a moment to look for new employment when there is still some work to be done.

View attachment 582040

Back on topic though, as I said previously, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. And they all claim to still be in business until they aren't just to keep the lower level employees working while they plan out executive exit strategies and golden parachutes.

Can't let the lemmings take a moment to look for new employment when there is still some work to be done.

I think it's more "tell them we're still in business so they keep buying all the stuff we're trying to liquidate 'on sale'" myself - hard to sell people your last remaining products if you also tell them you won't even be here next week.

I think it's more "tell them we're still in business so they keep buying all the stuff we're trying to liquidate 'on sale'" myself - hard to sell people your last remaining products if you also tell them you won't even be here next week.
Technically, they told everyone that when they shit the bed and shut down their GPU department. ;)

I just bought an EVGA mouse and keyboard.

If EVGA goes out, what PSUs do I get now. I have been using EVGA PSU for like a decade it seems... I'll probably go with MSI for GPUs.

It's my fault. Bought 2x BFG EX-1000 PSUs back in the day, BFG went kaput
Built the rig in my sig with an eVGA 3060 Ti + G3 650W, eVGA now going kaput

But hey, at the both EX-1000s are still going strong!

I liked to use low profile BFG GPUs as HTPC cards seeing as things could get hot in those old HTPC cases, and you still really did need a dedicated GPU for video/good video - also I think they had a lot of S-Video out on their low profile GPUs which I needed/wanted for my HTPCs too - had tube TVs that took that at the time

If EVGA goes out, what PSUs do I get now. I have been using EVGA PSU for like a decade it seems... I'll probably go with MSI for GPUs.
Can vouch for MSI GPU's, my last eVGA was my 3090 and my MSI Suprim X 4090 has been amazing so far (and looks good too).

Technically, they told everyone that when they shit the bed and shut down their GPU department. ;)

Ya. While I can 100% believe that nVidia is a pill to work with and doesn't let their OEMs make as much as they'd like... I also can't believe it is truly so unprofitable that a boatload of companies would choose to lose money on it. You telling me ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, PNY, Zotac, Inno3D, etc are ALL choosing to lose money doing nVidia GPUs? I find that a little hard to believe.

Don't get me wrong, I loved eVGA, my 3090 was an eVGA but the "We are shutting it down because nVidia won't let us make money," always struck me as fishy.

Seasonic. They make fantastic power supplies. I've never used their low-end stuff but their high-end stuff is top notch.

Aren't most EVGA PSU's other oems with EVGA sticker slapped on it... ( previously used Super Flower)

Example...
Supernova G6 = Seasonic Focus Gold

Not most, all. There aren't all that many companies that actually make PSUs. Most of the gaming names aren't makers. eVGA, Corsair, etc they don't make PSUs. They find an ODM that has a design they like, they customize it to their tastes, and then release sell it. But it is made by the ODM. Now that doesn't mean their products aren't good, they can even be better than what the ODM sells themselves as they can always spec up the components if they wish. But they aren't the ones making the PSUs.

Wasn't EVGA wasting a lot of money designing/tweaking custom boards vs basically reference board designs the others use? I heard that somewhere no clue if it's true or not.

It's my fault. Bought 2x BFG EX-1000 PSUs back in the day, BFG went kaput
Built the rig in my sig with an eVGA 3060 Ti + G3 650W, eVGA now going kaput

But hey, at the both EX-1000s are still going strong!
You know that list of favorite discontinued foods at the grocery store over the years? Yep, that was me :( I had started regularly buying those.

I have had great experiences with Corsair PSUs. ASUS are also great as are Seasonic and Super Flower (mentioned earlier). I use ASUS GPUs. MSI is fine.

Back