Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

As someone who never played a CRPG or DnD, I feel very overwhelmed with this game. Combat makes no sense to me. Half of my options always seem to be grayed out, particularly the ranged stuff like spells. So I feel like the only thing I can do is inch forward towards an enemy and then take a single swing with my sword which barely does any damage. It's also annoying how far away some of the enemies are. Half of my turns are spent moving towards an enemy to get in melee range. It feels like I'm playing a game of chess rather than having an epic fantasy battle. Maybe I need to watch a video tutorial or something.

No one cares.

Yeah, a lot of people fucking care. This isn't a Baldur's Gate game. And your response, like so many other people's response to that, here, in this thread and so many other outlets online is, "shut up, nerd."

You're saying the same thing everyone said about She-Hulk, Masters of the Universe, Star Wars, and every other bastardized "reimagining" out there that was a insulting backstab to its fanbase, but because Baldur's Gate fans can't be called racists, sexists, or white supremacists, all you guys have left is "shut up, nerd, no one cares," or "if you don't like it go somewhere else." Fuck that, I'm not going anywhere.

This game is turning out to be trash and people are defending it because they're invested in it emotionally or financially, or both. And you can't handle actual Baldur's Gate fans telling you something's wrong with this, so you insult. That's all you have is name-calling. Troll. Jerk. Whatever.

Can anyone tell me what makes this a Baldur's Gate game?

This game is turning out to be trash
Now that's a pretty big lol.
people are defending it because they're invested in it emotionally or financially
Maybe, just maybe people are actually having fun? Another forum I frequent had a lot of people ripping on it for the woke stuff and whatnot. Then some of them play it and realize huh, it's actually a pretty fun game and most of that other stuff was blown out of proportion. Again, no pity from me because I bet some of the people who are going "But muh BG" enjoyed FO3.

*Edit* The most constant criticism I see is the character creator of all things and the limited options in it lol.

"But muh BG" enjoyed FO3.

Fallout 3 was a Fallout-themed total conversion for Oblivion; new Fallout is, by everyone's admission, not true to the original Fallout franchise. So are you saying this isn't a Baldur's Gate game?

Fallout 3 was a Fallout-themed total conversion for Oblivion; new Fallout is, by everyone's admission, not true to the original Fallout franchise. So are you saying this isn't a Baldur's Gate game?
I'm saying I don't care if it is or isn't. It's a fun game. I didn't play BG. The gameplay was quite frankly too archaic for me.

*Edit* I'm sorry you're having a FO3 moment. Not even I reacted like this to nuFallout. I just say "not for me" and whatever. I still acknowledge them as fun games for a lot of people. If I want to go play FO2 again I go do it. I've accepted that the title I liked the most died a long time ago, but hey. I can still enjoy it so it's not really a big deal for me.

Meanwhile nuFO (and yes, this includes NV) goes on to win critical acclaim and whatnot. Doesn't affect me.

Last edited:
Not even I reacted like this to nuFallout.

That's probably because Fallout 3 was at least true to the plots and themes of the original Fallout games. Fallout Tactics showed that Fallout could be genre-shifted and remain true to game universe.

What makes Baldur's Gate 3 true to the Baldur's Gate universe?

I didn't play BG.

Oh, right.

That's probably because Fallout 3 was at least true to the plots and themes of the original Fallout games. Fallout Tactics showed that Fallout could be genre-shifted and remain true to game universe.
No. FO3 is not Fallout to me. But I don't lambast people for it. You don't get to just assume my actual opinions on it to make yours more convenient.

*Edit* Shoot, at least BG got enhanced editions (despite what people say about Dragonspear). True FO players don't even get that as scraps. So take a number and get in line. NuBG is a fun game.

Yeah, a lot of people fucking care. This isn't a Baldur's Gate game. And your response, like so many other people's response to that, here, in this thread and so many other outlets online is, "shut up, nerd."

You're saying the same thing everyone said about She-Hulk, Masters of the Universe, Star Wars, and every other bastardized "reimagining" out there that was a insulting backstab to its fanbase, but because Baldur's Gate fans can't be called racists, sexists, or white supremacists, all you guys have left is "shut up, nerd, no one cares," or "if you don't like it go somewhere else." Fuck that, I'm not going anywhere.

This game is turning out to be trash and people are defending it because they're invested in it emotionally or financially, or both. And you can't handle actual Baldur's Gate fans telling you something's wrong with this, so you insult. That's all you have is name-calling. Troll. Jerk. Whatever.

We fucking get it, jesus christ. It's just a god damn video game, it isn't that important. It's not for you, move the fuck on you pathetic child. You are throwing a temper tantrum because something isn't specifically catered to your tastes. Go outside, touch some grass, get laid. Do something that actually matters in the world instead of being mad about something meaningless.

Why are you so butthurt? I get it. There have been games that didn't meet my expectation but I said a few of my thoughts in threads and moved on. You seem to have really taken this personally for some reason. Like what are you hoping to get out of this thread?

So, one thing I’ve noticed from having visited a multitude of gaming forums is that when someone is super disagreeable, the best thing to do is put that person on ignore - and, in fact, if you don’t do that, you’re actually a part of the problem, because you’re feeding the monster.

Go outside, touch some grass, get laid.
the best thing to do is put that person on ignore

Yes, yes, yes. "Shut up, nerd."

You seem to have really taken this personally for some reason. Like what are you hoping to get out of this thread?

I do take this personally. This is the same thing as the Rings of Power. Was Lord of the Rings just some books? This isn't Baldur's Gate. I'm sick of these greedy IP mongers ruining good things and exploiting people. There has to be a way to stop this garbage.

I feel a mixture of pity and contempt when I see what I assume to be grown ass adults having temper tantrums about video games with strangers in online forums. Spend a few weeks volunteering in a soup kitchen or a hospital or something, or start taking meditation classes, anything to get a little perspective on life.

Yes, yes, yes. "Shut up, nerd."

I do take this personally. This is the same thing as the Rings of Power. Was Lord of the Rings just some books? This isn't Baldur's Gate. I'm sick of these greedy IP mongers ruining good things and exploiting people. There has to be a way to stop this garbage.
/yawn

So, one thing I’ve noticed from having visited a multitude of gaming forums is that when someone is super disagreeable, the best thing to do is put that person on ignore - and, in fact, if you don’t do that, you’re actually a part of the problem, because you’re feeding the monster.

That's a pretty good point. It's something I need to remember to do more often.

I'm endlessly amused with goofy rolls succeeding.

Just had Shadowheart convince someone she was the guy they were waiting for and that they should totally unlock the door to let her in.

Like she seemingly went to bat with a fake ass deep man voice and it worked.

Just had Shadowheart convince someone she was the guy they were waiting for and that they should totally unlock the door to let her in.

Seemingly impossible rolls succeeding (and vise versa) are some of my favorite parts of games like DND. I love that this game has managed to capture at least some of that ridiculousness.

Rolling the dice is fun. I like the sound effect too on my surrounds. LOL.

Have done a bard and wizard up to Act II already. Will likely be sticking with the Bard for the rest of the playthrough. Played lots of early access so I knew what I was getting into and Act I was just for style and fun. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I get people not being into it but calling out this game for a money grab is comical given the time and effort put into it. As a forty year DnD player, I'm completely satisfied. This could have gone live with half as much effort put into the details and had 90% of the accolades. As someone that's been playing video games for that long as well; again, good job Larian.

It's a shame that people cannot just let it roll when others dig something and have to get fully bent out of shape over an IP evolving or devolving depending on a point of view. Live long enough and you're bound to be disappointed; a lot.

AD&D 2nd Ed 4 life suckers.

Have done a bard and wizard up to Act II already. Will likely be sticking with the Bard for the rest of the playthrough. Played lots of early access so I knew what I was getting into and Act I was just for style and fun. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I get people not being into it but calling out this game for a money grab is comical given the time and effort put into it. As a forty year DnD player, I'm completely satisfied. This could have gone live with half as much effort put into the details and had 90% of the accolades. As someone that's been playing video games for that long as well; again, good job Larian.

It's a shame that people cannot just let it roll when others dig something and have to get fully bent out of shape over an IP evolving or devolving depending on a point of view. Live long enough and you're bound to be disappointed; a lot.

AD&D 2nd Ed 4 life suckers.

My favorite thing about my bard is I can end every turn playing the drums. Like I'm just getting my groove on in the middle of whatever shitstorm is unfolding.

<snip>

- DnD Rule Set
- Set in Sword Coast
- Baldurs Gate City a prominent location
- Returning characters from Baldurs Gate 2

Saying others love it only because they are emotionally or financially invested is pure ignorance. I love the game because it is a f'ing awesome game. Let me know what other huge releases are overwhelmingly positive on Steam, Sounds like you're mad everyone loves it. Sucks to be you.

Half of my options always seem to be grayed out
"Spell slot" (little blue box on the UI) is like your mana, spells *usually* cost 1 spell slot but they don't refill until you sleep/rest. So after a few fights you wont be able to cast any spells unless they are the free ones that have no cost (cantrips).
Based on your post you should watch a couple of the combat guides on youtube, and maybe play on the lowest difficulty, which will still be tough for players new to the genre.

95% of Steam reviews over the last 30 days are 'overwhelmingly positive'...so cherry picking 1 or 2 bad reviews does not mean much...the game got excellent reviews across the board and most players seem to love it
I refunded it so I can't leave a review. Convenient.

I refunded it so I can't leave a review. Convenient.

Steam only allows people who own a game to leave reviews as an effort to curb review bombing and review boosting. They've been doing this for a while now. It's not a conspiracy.

Steam only allows people who own a game to leave reviews as an effort to curb review bombing and review boosting. They've been doing this for a while now. It's not a conspiracy.
Just a way to inflate review scores if all the least satisfied customers aren't allowed to leave a review. This results in more overall sales of games and more money for steam.

Reactions: Axman
like this
Just a way to inflate review scores if all the least satisfied customers aren't allowed to leave a review. This results in more overall sales of games and more money for steam.
you could buy it, review it then refund it.
You could have reviewed before refunding.
Or, and bare with me, you could know the rules governing reviews (that have been around for a long time now) and act accordingly.

but no, its the worlds responsiblity.

Or you could, I don't know, leave a bloody review BEFORE refunding. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than not having any protections at all.

Lmao. Review conspiracy. Review before you return.

Reviews are more biased towards negative experiences anyways.

Lmao. Review conspiracy. Review before you return.

Reviews are more biased towards negative experiences anyways.
Also as time goes on reviews trend toward negativity as those excited for it tend to get in and review early.

This thread has has gone off the rails and I don't get it. PC gamers get cucked for 2 decades and then a decent dev tries to shows us some proper respect and it's "this game is trash". Y'all have fun, I'm out of this thread. I'll be playing one of the best PC games in recent memory.

- DnD Rule Set
- Set in Sword Coast
- Baldurs Gate City a prominent location
- Returning characters from Baldurs Gate 2

Lots of D&D games use D&D rules, that doesn't make them Baldur's Gate games. Same thing for the Sword Coast. Is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade a sequel to the Merchant of Venice?

The recurring characters aren't even voiced by the original actors. Also how is Minsc still alive? Does the game address the fact that he's 170 years old?

This doesn't even address the gameplay, which is Divinity-based, not BG-based. Planescape: Torment and BG1+2 have more in common than not, but Torment isn't even remotely considered to be a BG game. Not even IcewindDale. Baldur's Gate is tick-based real-time with pause. Not turn-based.

I'm not telling you to disavow your D&D-themed Divinity total conversion, I'm just saying this isn't Baldur's Gate.

Could they have sold as many copies if they called it Divinity 3? Nope. That's why.

I think it only applies to certain games...I'm still able to post in multiple Steam threads without owning the game...I'm not sure how they determine which games it applies for...I know I can't post in the Spider-Man Remastered thread without owning the game

I just checked Baldur's Gate 3 and I can post in the Steam discussions even though I don't own it

This thread has has gone off the rails and I don't get it. PC gamers get cucked for 2 decades and then a decent dev tries to shows us some proper respect and it's "this game is trash". Y'all have fun, I'm out of this thread. I'll be playing one of the best PC games in recent memory.
This except I'll stick around this thread to discuss the game with people who enjoy it

I think it only applies to certain games...I'm still able to post in multiple Steam threads without owning the game...I'm not sure how they determine which games it applies for...I know I can't post in the Spider-Man Remastered thread without owning the game

I just checked Baldur's Gate 3 and I can post in the Steam discussions even though I don't own it

When it comes to the community forums, the page owner (generally the publisher) can decide who does and doesn't have permission to post topics/in threads. For reviews, it's an across the board rule that you have to own and have used a game or piece of software before reviewing it. For example, I can leave a review for BG3 since I both own and have played it but I cannot review Bayonetta since I've yet to launch and play the PC version.

When it comes to the community forums, the page owner (generally the publisher) can decide who does and doesn't have permission to post topics/in threads. For reviews, it's an across the board rule that you have to own and have used a game or piece of software before reviewing it. For example, I can leave a review for BG3 since I both own and have played it but I cannot review Bayonetta since I've yet to launch and play the PC version.

I got the reviews confused with the Steam forum posting privileges...for reviews it makes sense that only people that own the game can post

Does anyone here make plans to game… but rarely execute?

It’s a long weekend where I am, and I had these three days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) marked on my calendar for Baldur’s Gate 3. This was supposed to be the weekend during which I was going to marathon this game - maybe make it to Act 2.

But here it is, Sunday night and I’m about 3 hours in. I was going to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy in 4K as well, but I haven’t even loaded the first disc yet.

So what the hell am I doing? Sleeping, cleaning, sleeping, wasting my time on the internet, sleeping.

Back