Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

Does anyone here make plans to game… but rarely execute?

It’s a long weekend where I am, and I had these three days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) marked on my calendar for Baldur’s Gate 3. This was supposed to be the weekend during which I was going to marathon this game - maybe make it to Act 2.

But here it is, Sunday night and I’m about 3 hours in. I was going to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy in 4K as well, but I haven’t even loaded the first disc yet.

So what the hell am I doing? Sleeping, cleaning, sleeping, wasting my time on the internet, sleeping.
as i've gotten older, that's more and more how it goes with me and gaming. there's the occasional game that for some reason (often times completely perplexing even to me...) holds my attention thoroughly for dozens or even hundreds of hours, but the majority of the ones i buy (even if they're widely considered excellent or even GOTY material, and ostensibly "right up my alley") sit largely unplayed in my steam library/ps5/switch/whatever.

as it pertains to this thread, though, BG3 seems to be one of the ones that holds my attention (so far.) my opinion hasn't changed since my last post about it, but it's been a while since i was able to get engrossed in an expansive point n click rpg so that's cool.

i still can't get over how much it really is D:OS2 with D&D paint though (if nothing else because it's amusing.) even the story beats early-game are hilariously similar.

in both D:OS2 and BG3, you:
- start on a ship that's about to crash as two "factions" (your captors and a third party) fight it out
- are saddled with something negative that you (and your party members!) badly want to get rid of but there's no immediate easy fix
- said ship crashes on an idyllic tropical beach environment, where you and your party members wash up, either reconnecting or meeting for the first time
- run around the area finding some random encounters, find a small dungeon to explore, and eventually a camp of npcs, among which one may be able to help you with the aforementioned negative thing you're stuck with... if you do a quest first

🤣

Yeah, the opening is a lot like DOS2. So far I'm liking the game. Co-op is oddly not as well done as DOS2, controls being a bit wonky with conversations and interactions starting as soon as you walk near a spot but it doesn't tell the other person(s) you're playing with an important conversation is happening. You can select what dialog options you pick if you're not the initiator of the discussion.

Combat is okay, I do wish it was real time with pause but I can live with it. Though I'm mostly clueless how 5E works. It is funny that I rolled a ranger (get talk to animals for some fun dialog), am teamed up with a Cleric of Shar and my buddy rolled a drow paladin.

Got some odd frame drops at times but the game runs pretty well on a 4790k and 2060S. Auto-detect put most settings at high and ultra.

Does anyone here make plans to game… but rarely execute?

It’s a long weekend where I am, and I had these three days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) marked on my calendar for Baldur’s Gate 3. This was supposed to be the weekend during which I was going to marathon this game - maybe make it to Act 2.

But here it is, Sunday night and I’m about 3 hours in. I was going to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy in 4K as well, but I haven’t even loaded the first disc yet.

So what the hell am I doing? Sleeping, cleaning, sleeping, wasting my time on the internet, sleeping.
I think its called being an adult. The amount of time I can spend just doing busy work is insane.z

On that note, Battletech with the roguetech mod is amazing for me, I can just get lost in my mechbay for hours alone, its kinda like scrolling the internet.

My only beef so far is that my barbarian is weaker/dishes out less damage than everyone in my party after 12-14 hours of gameplay. Rogue Assasin is straight up obliterating everyone.

My dwarf barbarian has trash movement distance and deals 2-5 less damage then Laezel. She can close the gap faster and dish out heavier damage.

I'm probably going to change his class.

My only beef so far is that my barbarian is weaker/dishes out less damage than everyone in my party after 12-14 hours of gameplay. Rogue Assasin is straight up obliterating everyone.

My dwarf barbarian has trash movement distance and deals 2-5 less damage then Laezel. She can close the gap faster and dish out heavier damage.

I'm probably going to change his class.
Can the other characters buff like the barbarian? I haven't started playing it yet - waiting for a few more patches and some free time - but when i played the older games i would have a warrior or paladin buff while the damage dealers would sneak around a-whacking. Of course back then i didn't know i needed acid or fire to put down trolls so the fights would go on and on and on.... the little things ya gotta know when playing dnd for the first time.

Can the other characters buff like the barbarian? I haven't started playing it yet - waiting for a few more patches and some free time - but when i played the older games i would have a warrior or paladin buff while the damage dealers would sneak around a-whacking. Of course back then i didn't know i needed acid or fire to put down trolls so the fights would go on and on and on.... the little things ya gotta know when playing dnd for the first time.
Because of how the game functions, buffing all the time and using abilities requires rests/long rests which gets cumbersome. I've been using just normal attacks and such on random encounters with one or two guys.

It's a fantastic game I think. It's been forever since I played BG 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, etc but it feels very much the same after a long hiatus.

I'm probably going to change his class, or at least respec him to see if I did something wrong.

The reduced movement speed on Dwarves doesn’t help with closing in/ raging and going ham barbarian style. Use your jump to get closer then move to melee and see if you cover more ground that way.

Started a couple of play throughs and the one that is going well so far at lvl 3 is My Wood Elf Fighter / Elderich Knight, Lae’zel/ Fighter Battle Master, Karlach/ Barbarian Berzerker, Astarion Rogue/ trickster (but I read assassin is probably better). Straight up murder squad. It’s probably not the best party for everything since no healer , light on crowd control or nuker aoe spells. I use a lot of thrown stuff , poison dipping, arrows and grease with the fire bolt to ignite and 2 char with action surge helps bring the pain to get 4 attacks on one enemy already. Some spell support from my char and Astarion to boot.

Last edited:
I went "classic" with my main being an thief (assassin), Karlach (Best ever), Shadowheart, and Gale. Little bit of a mess, really. The glass cannons, given luck of the dice, often take more damage than shadowheart can heal. Or if they get a hold of Gale it stinks (as expected).

I was giddy to replace Lae'zel with Karlach. While Lae'zel is what she is (and the writing and acting is on point) - I still don't like being lectured constantly. Karlach doesn't lecture. She has a potty mouth and runs at people with a battleaxe.

What fun characters they made.

I went "classic" with my main being an thief (assassin), Karlach (Best ever), Shadowheart, and Gale. Little bit of a mess, really. The glass cannons, given luck of the dice, often take more damage than shadowheart can heal. Or if they get a hold of Gale it stinks (as expected).

I was giddy to replace Lae'zel with Karlach. While Lae'zel is what she is (and the writing and acting is on point) - I still don't like being lectured constantly. Karlach doesn't lecture. She has a potty mouth and runs at people with a battleaxe.

What fun characters they made.
My character is having coitus with Lae'zel on the regular my dude.

Is the game auto-levelling by default? I was able to select spells, but I had no option to invest in my stats?

Is the game auto-levelling by default? I was able to select spells, but I had no option to invest in my stats?
not sure if you're familiar with D&D 5E (or even any of the previous editions as far as I know) but you don't add to your "stats" (known as Ability Scores in 5E and BG3) every level like you do in most other standard high fantasy RPGs. in this case as OutOfPhase linked, you can add to them via other means gained at certain levels etc.

1691478332324.png

Anyone know of a save game character editor? I'd like to change my characters race I think.

I'm going to give the game another shot turnoff Post processing and maybe lower setting to give it less of that shiny new appearance.

https://videocardz.com/driver/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-536-99

See they have another set of drivers out since yesterday the other set before this was recommended when you launched the game maybe these are better.
Larian had a pop up during the loading screen saying your drivers are out of date.

Yeah, I got that when I first ran the game on the weekend. My drivers are probably 4-6 months old and the game ran ok. Maybe a couple of stutters were from drivers but could have been game problems. A buddy said he was having some graphical glitches but he had updated his nvidia drivers to the latest before playing.

Yeah, I got that when I first ran the game on the weekend. My drivers are probably 4-6 months old and the game ran ok. Maybe a couple of stutters were from drivers but could have been game problems. A buddy said he was having some graphical glitches but he had updated his nvidia drivers to the latest before playing.
I have zero stutters and Im running an old driver. Runs fantastic with everything maxed on an older 1080.

Hotfix #2, mostly fixing graphical glitches, anomalies, game crashes, and soft locks.
The very important:
  • Male gnome sorcerers are no longer missing their undies.
Seriously not hard to do but really nice to have
  • Removed the version number that was below the minimap.

their hotfixes keep adding new bugs. now whenever i have my animal companion summoned, NPCs say lines as though i'm a druid walking around in animal form

Heh, the Gith chick sure was quick to come on to my buddy's character. The dialog is...funny bad. Not sure I'm a fan of archery so far in this game. I'm thinking a fighter that swaps to bows when needed is better than a ranger. My ranger has more melee options at this point.

Heh, the Gith chick sure was quick to come on to my buddy's character. The dialog is...funny bad. Not sure I'm a fan of archery so far in this game. I'm thinking a fighter that swaps to bows when needed is better than a ranger. My ranger has more melee options at this point.
The rogue in my party obliterates with bow sneak attacks. I use him to initiate combat and I can one hit a lot of things without even getting into battle.

Now that my barbarian character is level 5 he's tearing people up with his extra attack.

Back