Android Captures Record 80% Market Share In Q2

HardOCP News

[H] News
80% market share? Holy cow that is a lot of phones!

According to the latest research from Strategy Analytics, global smartphone shipments grew 47 percent annually to reach 230 million units in the second quarter of 2013. Android captured a record 80 percent share all smartphone volumes worldwide, while Microsoft solidified its position in third place.

Go Android! Silly Apple. This is what happens when you become lazy and fail to innovate. The mighty Apple name and sheep army can only go for so long before failing.

Go Android! Silly Apple. This is what happens when you become lazy and fail to innovate. The mighty Apple name and sheep army can only go for so long before failing.

Just will revert to the "do you want to be like the masses? We have something that's unique and "better" than those Android people. They have no sense of style or function anyhow! You don't want to be one of the masses of people that has an Android, do you?"

Good for Android, but it's just setting up Apple to do the same BS they did when they first got into cellphone business.

So Blackberry is now listed under "other", and Microsoft has a larger market share than "other"
Looks like a pretty solid 3rd place.

Even more interesting is that Androids market share climbed by 10%, Microsoft climbed by .3%, and Apple DROPPED by 3%

Android is the Windows of the mobile segment, and they did it in part thanks to fragmentation, not in spite of it. Much like Windows.

And they did it while MS slept, as they let their first mover advantage and built up share of mid-2000's era Windows Mobile slip through their fingers by not taking mobile more seriously and pouring money and talent into innovation.

And worst of all now they want to take half-baked shortcuts to try to make up for lost time. Not gonna happen.

Don't forget the non-phone android powered devices. My Rikomagic MK802 IV is a wonderful little device that turns my dumb TV into a smarter TV than most smart TVs from the factory.

I have used a Galaxy 2S for about a year, but I decided to give Windows Phone a try. The Windows Phone is actually better than I expected. It runs quicker and smoother than my Android did. I am currently using the Nokia Lumia 920.

I am familiar with Blackberry(Older, and the new Z10's) iPhones etc as well. I support these devices for my company. I consider myself mostly phone "neutral". I don't like or dislike any over the others for any particular reason. I like a good android phone as much as I do a good blackberry or Windows Phone.

While there is the issue of apps, Windows Phone is often ignored when banks or other companies make apps for their customers, I have found the apps that I really needed and used on my Android for the most part. There is still room for improvement.

While it may likely have been a function of my specific phone, I found my Galaxy to be wildly annoying when it came to certain features. If I wanted to ensure decent battery life I had to manually turn off wifi, GPS, Bluetooth. I don't have to bother with my current phone.

Bluetooth was always a problem with my Galaxy. When listening to my Audible app the phone would lose connection after about 20 minutes and need to be rebooted before I could reconnect it to my car's stereo. This happened even after a fresh install of the phone OS. My current Lumia does not cause me problems here.

Nokia has a fair amount of useful features/apps too. I just hope that banks and other companies start supporting the device more.

^ No offense but you're comparing a 2011 android phone with a late 2012 Nokia, so of course the hardware improved and it seems more responsive, if you want to make an apples to apples compare try a Galaxy III. I've owned every galaxy since the first in 2010, and they got progressively better until the III finally nailed perfection.

The biggest problem I have with Winphone is walled off garden they're trying to emulate from apple, with no jaikbreak, no ability to run and sideload my own apps unless they're approved by the overlords and distributed through the store. Android let's you have the key to your own house even in the latest stock 4.3. Its the user-hostile attitude of MS and Apple I don't like in that regard.

Very impressive. I'm a repeat Android customer. I went from the D3 to the S4. :cool:

^ No offense but you're comparing a 2011 android phone with a late 2012 Nokia, so of course the hardware improved and it seems more responsive, if you want to make an apples to apples compare try a Galaxy III. I've owned every galaxy since the first in 2010, and they got progressively better until the III finally nailed perfection.

Windows Phone is generally considered less dependent on higher end hardware specs for smooth operation. Indeed Windows Phones are often criticized for not have the latest and greatest specs. But take a device like the 520 series, which is reportedly doing very well in emerging markets because it's one of the cheapest smartphones out there that actually does perform well. Most Android implementations on a device as low speced as the 520 would probably suck.

The biggest problem I have with Winphone is walled off garden they're trying to emulate from apple, with no jaikbreak, no ability to run and sideload my own apps unless they're approved by the overlords and distributed through the store. Android let's you have the key to your own house even in the latest stock 4.3. Its the user-hostile attitude of MS and Apple I don't like in that regard.

The biggest problem for Windows Phone right now is apps enough top tier apps. Even Nokia is beginning to complain and that and they have a point. Nokia has done a very job of pumping out a wide variety of hardware and different price points, from the 520 to the 1020 and everything in between and has created some compelling hardware like that amazing camera on the 1020. But Nokia does catch a lot of heat for lack of Windows Phone apps still.

I have used a Galaxy 2S for about a year, but I decided to give Windows Phone a try. The Windows Phone is actually better than I expected. It runs quicker and smoother than my Android did. I am currently using the Nokia Lumia 920.

I am familiar with Blackberry(Older, and the new Z10's) iPhones etc as well. I support these devices for my company. I consider myself mostly phone "neutral". I don't like or dislike any over the others for any particular reason. I like a good android phone as much as I do a good blackberry or Windows Phone.

While there is the issue of apps, Windows Phone is often ignored when banks or other companies make apps for their customers, I have found the apps that I really needed and used on my Android for the most part. There is still room for improvement.

While it may likely have been a function of my specific phone, I found my Galaxy to be wildly annoying when it came to certain features. If I wanted to ensure decent battery life I had to manually turn off wifi, GPS, Bluetooth. I don't have to bother with my current phone.

Bluetooth was always a problem with my Galaxy. When listening to my Audible app the phone would lose connection after about 20 minutes and need to be rebooted before I could reconnect it to my car's stereo. This happened even after a fresh install of the phone OS. My current Lumia does not cause me problems here.

Nokia has a fair amount of useful features/apps too. I just hope that banks and other companies start supporting the device more.

You know, you're not the first person I've heard who switched to a Windows phone and liked it. For all the negative attention MS gets for their phones people sure do like it when they switch.

I have a Galaxy S2 right now and while it okay for the most part, I like you, take issue with the battery life on this thing. From a full charge my phone will only last about 6 or 7 hours, and that's without a lot of use. I have GPS turned off, no live wallpaper and I keep the screen as dim as possible most of the time, which is saddening considering the fully lit screen really is beautiful. My other issue, which Windows sounds like it is good with, is that stuff just hangs for no reason a lot on it. When I hit back to close Dolphin browser, it often hangs for a good several seconds before finally doing so. I try to keep as much closed in the task manager as possible too. At any rate, it's still a good phone and I've been satisfied with it.

Just imagine what share Microsoft had pre iPhone.

12%, and it was down to 6% when Nokia announced they were abandoning Symbian and switching to Windows. So while Nokia was still #1 with twice the market share of Apple and more than four times the market share of Samsung, they picked the OS that was clearly losing. Imagine if they had went with Meego or Android? They might still be number one.

You know, you're not the first person I've heard who switched to a Windows phone and liked it. For all the negative attention MS gets for their phones people sure do like it when they switch.

I have a Galaxy S2 right now and while it okay for the most part, I like you, take issue with the battery life on this thing. From a full charge my phone will only last about 6 or 7 hours, and that's without a lot of use. I have GPS turned off, no live wallpaper and I keep the screen as dim as possible most of the time, which is saddening considering the fully lit screen really is beautiful. My other issue, which Windows sounds like it is good with, is that stuff just hangs for no reason a lot on it. When I hit back to close Dolphin browser, it often hangs for a good several seconds before finally doing so. I try to keep as much closed in the task manager as possible too. At any rate, it's still a good phone and I've been satisfied with it.

I'll join in on this. Had a Droid X, then a Razr Maxx, now running a 928. It's always hard to really quantify it when it comes to a phone. My Storm was ok for a couple of months but the last year of its life I wanted something at Verizon worth getting. That was the X. The X I loved, but honestly I don't know if my expectations changed, if the OS needed to be wiped, or if the OS updates were taking it into a range of performance requirements it couldn't fill but it just became soooo slow I couldn't use it anymore. Enter the Razr Maxx. Still love it for various reasons. Battery number 1. But The same stuff that happened on X was happening with it. It took longer and longer to clear up memory, Apps were taking longer to load. Updates (apps) wouldn't install. Screen transitions and scrolling was sloppy and full of lag, and it allowed any app to drain your battery. The main killer was that even within all the Google apps, there just didn't seem to be any synergy. You were buying into the Google ecosystem, but the ecosystem didn't do anything for you. But if it wasn't for the affordability of the 928 I think I would still enjoy using it.

But the 928 is an awesome beast. I like how it acts as a media player. I was a Zune fan and Xbox Music is a smooth transition, and unlike Android, it won't randomly decide that the Music player is the background app it's going to turn off. Its uber smooth, apps don't freeze, did have one crash, but the gui doesn't restart your just kicked back to an ultra smooth start screen. On Android I was always annoyed how lengthy of a process even on phones with a dedicated photo button it be to get to the camera. This takes less then 3 seconds and almost instantly if you are pressing the photo button from a blank screen. For the same reason I liked widgets on Android the People hub is fantastic. Even games on a lesser GPU with less memory run so much smoother. If there is any problem with WP8 it is solely on how much later the big stuff comes to it.

Woah what? I figured Android phones was like 10% at most. Everybody and their dog has an iphone and/or ipad these days. I have an Android myself and like it.

unsurprising considering how many free phones and prepaid phones run android.

I was a huge Android fan, but I grow to dislike it more and more each day. The flexibility of the OS is moot when it can't even run smoothly for any consistent period of time.

I own a Galaxy Nexus, and maybe the tech has gotten better, but it's disgusting how much lag there is with something as simple as switching tabs in the Chrome browser. There is also constant random microstutter while swiping through menus and opening up apps.

It is absolutely idiotic how Android was built without an exclusive thread for the UI, and they continue to develop it that way and just hope faster hardware will mask performance issues.

I love my Android. I don't have to be locked in to a Carrier. Windows Phones locked, BB locked, except for iphones.

Android > all

Iv tried every phone.. Always went back to my droid.. Glad to see this!

friend at work is swearing up and down how iOS 7 is going to kill android becuase it is SO innovative.. yet all i have read about it...really doesn't show me anything special? Am i missing something besides the Apple koolaid?

I was a huge Android fan, but I grow to dislike it more and more each day. The flexibility of the OS is moot when it can't even run smoothly for any consistent period of time.

I own a Galaxy Nexus, and maybe the tech has gotten better, but it's disgusting how much lag there is with something as simple as switching tabs in the Chrome browser. There is also constant random microstutter while swiping through menus and opening up apps.

It is absolutely idiotic how Android was built without an exclusive thread for the UI, and they continue to develop it that way and just hope faster hardware will mask performance issues.

Have you updated to 4.3? Or do you have the dreaded Verizon GN?

The one thing is though this is shipments.. does that mean every phone has sold..

Have you updated to 4.3? Or do you have the dreaded Verizon GN?

I have the "dreaded" (as you put it) VZW Gnex and love it. 4.3 runs just fine. On CM10.2 nightlies right now. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I'm on 4.2.2. Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

There's your problem right there. 4.2.2 was designed for phones with 2+ GB of ram. The Gnex has 1 GB. 4.2.x is a steaming pile on the Galaxy Nexus. Stick with a good 4.1.2 Rom or jump to 4.3.

friend at work is swearing up and down how iOS 7 is going to kill android becuase it is SO innovative.. yet all i have read about it...really doesn't show me anything special? Am i missing something besides the Apple koolaid?

I had an Android device, and preferred the Android OS. When it came time to buy a new phone the top spec. ones all had these huge screens. I don't want to carry around a massive PDA sized unit. I want top end hardware in a small form factor and I am not willing to compromise on this. Apple delivered, none of the Android device makers did.

That being said, I can totally see why Android is dominating. Android devices generally crush iOS devices on price/performance. Unless you have a set of rigid requirements like I do, Android is the best choice.

There's your problem right there. 4.2.2 was designed for phones with 2+ GB of ram. The Gnex has 1 GB. 4.2.x is a steaming pile on the Galaxy Nexus. Stick with a good 4.1.2 Rom or jump to 4.3.
4.2.x wasn't great on the Nexus 7, either. Much as I love my Nexus 7, there were times when the whole system would grind to a near-halt, requiring a reboot - only about once a week (I was averaging about 150 hours uptime between power-downs), but extremely annoying. 4.3 has made the whole system seem zippier and I haven't yet noticed issues with graphic slowdown while gaming. I'm glad I'll get at least a month or two of improved performance until they release the next-gen Nexus 7 with LTE, which of course has 2GB RAM so I wouldn't have had the same problems anyway. :D

Woah what? I figured Android phones was like 10% at most. Everybody and their dog has an iphone and/or ipad these days. I have an Android myself and like it.

Depends on who you tend to spend time with. Due to price and desire to display status and wealth richer people tend to have iPhones, poorer people tend to have Androids.... And far far far more people are poor than rich.

Pretty much the entire changelog for iOS7 already exists in Android since a few major revisions. Woop they're finally getting a notifcation center. Revolutionary.

The bigger problem is even if iOS7 wasn't just copycatting features from other platforms and revolutionized their own dramatic new features previously unseen, they're slowly down while Android keeps building steam. It used to be the mass market buyers and Instagram teens considered iPhones the must-have and "all their friends were buying it". Now all I see people pulling out is htc and galaxy phones regardless of age group.

Depends on who you tend to spend time with. Due to price and desire to display status and wealth richer people tend to have iPhones, poorer people tend to have Androids.... And far far far more people are poor than rich.

Wow.

lmVea6b.gif

Complete fiction.

Just imagine what share Microsoft had pre iPhone.

given their extortionist ways, MS could not care less - filed under: laughing all the way to the bank

In its latest SEC filing, Microsoft said Windows Phone revenue increased by $1.2bn in the year to 30 June, 2013.

Microsoft was reported in 2011 to have told Samsung to pay it $15 for each Android handset it makes, claiming Android exploits patents owned by Microsoft. Samsung reportedly thought $10 more reasonable, and while the figure was never revealed, it did sign up.

Some, here, have tried to work out what that means to the numbers released Monday. Their bottom line: Windows Phone made less than $400m in actual revenue, meaning the vast majority of money Microsoft attributed to its phones revenue is from Android licences.

Patents, it seems, are a better bet. Like interest payments on credit cards or subscriptions for online software delivered as service, they provide a guaranteed return if you can persuade the person paying to sign on the dotted line in the first place.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/31/microsoft_android_money_maker/

given their extortionist ways, MS could not care less - filed under: laughing all the way to the bank

Perhaps, but a lot of companies did sign on the bottom line without ever going to court over this and Google has been fairly quiet on the matter directly and has taken to its own legal maneuvering using the Motorola patents they acquired. Considering the number of companies that have agreed to the Microsoft Android licensing deals Microsoft must a have a pretty strong hand here.

Well when Android covers just about every phone not made by Apple is it really a surprise they have that much of a market share?

Just look at any plan that doesn't give you a "free phone" (or discounted price) when you sign a 2 year contract. iPhones cost between $550 and $750, the most expensive Android based phone Galaxy SIII is $400, and the next model down is $200, and many other models in the $100-200 range from other vendors. It's a matter of price, while yeah you still see a ton of people buying Mac Books, or Airs or whatever the fuck name designation they have at a premium price point that often is anywhere from 50% to 100% more than an equivalent windows based laptop, the vast majority of users don't have Apple computer products.

MS gave google the option to remove the patented features and never got a response, samsung can also remove the features if they chose to do so. At least MS isnt blocking them from using it at all.

Myself and all of my guy friends who have higher-income jobs have Android. My female friends and hipster friends all have iPhones.

To conclude, anecdotal evidence is worthless.

Windows Phone is generally considered less dependent on higher end hardware specs for smooth operation. Indeed Windows Phones are often criticized for not have the latest and greatest specs. But take a device like the 520 series, which is reportedly doing very well in emerging markets because it's one of the cheapest smartphones out there that actually does perform well. Most Android implementations on a device as low speced as the 520 would probably suck.

The biggest problem for Windows Phone right now is apps enough top tier apps. Even Nokia is beginning to complain and that and they have a point. Nokia has done a very job of pumping out a wide variety of hardware and different price points, from the 520 to the 1020 and everything in between and has created some compelling hardware like that amazing camera on the 1020. But Nokia does catch a lot of heat for lack of Windows Phone apps still.

This is a wake up call to MS, have you ever heard your mom say you can't change anyone but yourself? Why is that so hard to understand? MS cannot change developers, they cannot change the news but they can sure as hell change their support for hardware and get off their asses and support higher resolutions and more CPUs with more cores etc....If no OEMs will make it then buy the damn phones yourself.

Second their is the price, sell it for 99 damn cents who cares give it away but get some damn market share.

Both of those items were touched on by the article and they have the most truth, people develop for platforms with lots of customers not for dead platforms no matter how many people use it.

Android slaughtered everyone this quarter amazing.

Not entirely. The bulk of Android phones are the no names that carriers give away with contracts.
Even if that is so (and I don't know how the sales break down), it's still not indicative of a divide between rich and poor. With the contract subsidies, iPhones are affordable for pretty much anyone with a job. Whether it's worth the premium over another phone is down to personal preference which, again, doesn't have much to do with rich versus poor.

That marketshare is almost all in low end devices: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4570582/android-fragmentation-graphics-july-2013#

The old iPhone 4S is faster than 90% of Android smartphones out there. Samsung's total smartphone sales for last quarter went up from 50 million to 72 million YoY but their high-end sales (GS3/GS4/GN2) only went up from 19 million to 22 million. Meanwhile every iPhone and iPad sold is in the high end.

The distribution of devices is reflected in iOS's much higher internet traffic and developer revenue, despite there being 5x as many Android phones. Even Google makes more mobile ad revenue from iOS. If you're happy about there being more Android devices out there then that's cool, but to me its like being happy that the Nintendo Wii is more popular than a high end gaming PC.

Back