Android Captures Record 80% Market Share In Q2

I was a huge Android fan, but I grow to dislike it more and more each day. The flexibility of the OS is moot when it can't even run smoothly for any consistent period of time.

I own a Galaxy Nexus, and maybe the tech has gotten better, but it's disgusting how much lag there is with something as simple as switching tabs in the Chrome browser. There is also constant random microstutter while swiping through menus and opening up apps.

It is absolutely idiotic how Android was built without an exclusive thread for the UI, and they continue to develop it that way and just hope faster hardware will mask performance issues.

Carmack spent about 10 minutes ripping on the way Android does things in his Quakecon keynote. Performance and optimization are still major issues before you even get into hardware fragmentation.

This is a wake up call to MS, have you ever heard your mom say you can't change anyone but yourself? Why is that so hard to understand? MS cannot change developers, they cannot change the news but they can sure as hell change their support for hardware and get off their asses and support higher resolutions and more CPUs with more cores etc....If no OEMs will make it then buy the damn phones yourself.

Second their is the price, sell it for 99 damn cents who cares give it away but get some damn market share.

Both of those items were touched on by the article and they have the most truth, people develop for platforms with lots of customers not for dead platforms no matter how many people use it.

Android slaughtered everyone this quarter amazing.

I think that Microsoft is generally considered to be on the right path with Windows Phone, possible more so than even Windows 8 and RT these days, which is ironic. The biggest three issues for Windows Phone is apps, apps, and updates to the OS. Windows 8 and RT are slammed because of "forcing" the Modern UI on the desktop, but there's much more to it than that. It's about a single platform that runs on every Microsoft OS powered device and apps that can run across those devices. When the same app binary can run on a Windows Phone, Windows PC and the Xbox, that will be the when this strategy pays off.

The one thing that Microsoft, actually more so Nokia, has done well is with solid cheap phones. Giving away a $400 device for free isn't a sustainable model as device maker. The 520 is a fantastic device for the price, $150 unsubsidized and it's very attractive in emerging markets. Again, it seems that pricing is now something that Windows Phone is able to compete well on with Nokia's help.

And yes, Android is doing great, but the wealth seems to be going Samsung. Google for all of these Android devices didn't have a great quarter and HTC posted it's first quarterly loss will Samsung became the most profitable phone maker in the world.

apple iphone lost it's way.

too restrictive in upgradability/modability.

android provides not only features, but more options for the tech enthusiast to explore, than to be simply lockdown by Apple's control freak policies :/

this is also why i dumped their ipods because they don't bother offering flac support, when other brands do :/

I've had probably 6-8 android phones in the last 4 years and 3 iphones. Both have their places and I like both Android and iOS. They are so much like each other in features now its just really the hardware that differentiate them IMHO.

apple iphone lost it's way.

too restrictive in upgradability/modability.
No, Apple hasn't lost its way. It's acting just like it has since the first Mac. That the iPhone (more properly, the iPhone 2+) was successful is a testament to how weak the competition was. Once Android came along and offered comparable features with rapid improvement at lower prices (even with Android fragmentation, it can be cheaper to buy two Android phones to get a big OS upgrade instead of one iPhone), the iPhone became a boutique product, like everything they've sold apart from the iPod. The same is inevitably going to happen to the iPad.

I own a Galaxy Nexus, and maybe the tech has gotten better, but it's disgusting how much lag there is with something as simple as switching tabs in the Chrome browser. There is also constant random microstutter while swiping through menus and opening up apps.

Try a different ROM. The Stock one sucks. Runs smooth as silk with Sorcery.

I have used a Galaxy 2S for about a year, but I decided to give Windows Phone a try. The Windows Phone is actually better than I expected. It runs quicker and smoother than my Android did. I am currently using the Nokia Lumia 920.

I am familiar with Blackberry(Older, and the new Z10's) iPhones etc as well. I support these devices for my company. I consider myself mostly phone "neutral". I don't like or dislike any over the others for any particular reason. I like a good android phone as much as I do a good blackberry or Windows Phone.

While there is the issue of apps, Windows Phone is often ignored when banks or other companies make apps for their customers, I have found the apps that I really needed and used on my Android for the most part. There is still room for improvement.

While it may likely have been a function of my specific phone, I found my Galaxy to be wildly annoying when it came to certain features. If I wanted to ensure decent battery life I had to manually turn off wifi, GPS, Bluetooth. I don't have to bother with my current phone.

Bluetooth was always a problem with my Galaxy. When listening to my Audible app the phone would lose connection after about 20 minutes and need to be rebooted before I could reconnect it to my car's stereo. This happened even after a fresh install of the phone OS. My current Lumia does not cause me problems here.

Nokia has a fair amount of useful features/apps too. I just hope that banks and other companies start supporting the device more.

I look on the Metro interface with doubt, though I love Windows 8.

I think that Microsoft is generally considered to be on the right path with Windows Phone, possible more so than even Windows 8 and RT these days, which is ironic. The biggest three issues for Windows Phone is apps, apps, and updates to the OS. Windows 8 and RT are slammed because of "forcing" the Modern UI on the desktop, but there's much more to it than that. It's about a single platform that runs on every Microsoft OS powered device and apps that can run across those devices. When the same app binary can run on a Windows Phone, Windows PC and the Xbox, that will be the when this strategy pays off.

The one thing that Microsoft, actually more so Nokia, has done well is with solid cheap phones. Giving away a $400 device for free isn't a sustainable model as device maker. The 520 is a fantastic device for the price, $150 unsubsidized and it's very attractive in emerging markets. Again, it seems that pricing is now something that Windows Phone is able to compete well on with Nokia's help.

And yes, Android is doing great, but the wealth seems to be going Samsung. Google for all of these Android devices didn't have a great quarter and HTC posted it's first quarterly loss will Samsung became the most profitable phone maker in the world.

You can't dominate the market by ignoring the high end which is the high profit consumers. What OEM wants to build only cheap phones? MS isn't seeming to get this. Every product they have realeased has been behind on the hot spec everyone cares about, be it cores, ram or display density. And OEMs complain its because they don't support higher res, other cpus etc...

You can't dominate the market by ignoring the high end which is the high profit consumers. What OEM wants to build only cheap phones? MS isn't seeming to get this. Every product they have realeased has been behind on the hot spec everyone cares about, be it cores, ram or display density. And OEMs complain its because they don't support higher res, other cpus etc...

I see what you're saying but the bulk of device sales be it phones, tablets, laptops, etc. are going to be on the low end. just look at Android tablets, virtually all of them are on the Iow end of price scale and that's why they're selling where as Windows 8 and RT tablets are often considered too expensive.

Yes the margins are on the higher end devices but the bulk is at the low end and where the big growth occurs.

So, practically, almost 75% of the U.S. population replaced their phones .... last quarter? Whoa ...

The NSA is pleased to hear that Android spy software is so popular among the sheep

You do realize that Microsoft was in bed with the NSA before Google was? Android is open source, unlike Windows Phone or iOS. You have no idea what's hidden in iOS or Windows.

That marketshare is almost all in low end devices: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4570582/android-fragmentation-graphics-july-2013#

The old iPhone 4S is faster than 90% of Android smartphones out there. Samsung's total smartphone sales for last quarter went up from 50 million to 72 million YoY but their high-end sales (GS3/GS4/GN2) only went up from 19 million to 22 million. Meanwhile every iPhone and iPad sold is in the high end.

The distribution of devices is reflected in iOS's much higher internet traffic and developer revenue, despite there being 5x as many Android phones. Even Google makes more mobile ad revenue from iOS. If you're happy about there being more Android devices out there then that's cool, but to me its like being happy that the Nintendo Wii is more popular than a high end gaming PC.

Its called an indicating trend. I would be happy, because more devices means more people willing to develop, an lower prices / app for all of us. Apples high profits are the result of their lead in the market in the beginning. As that erodes stat after stat they cling to as a reason iphones are better falls. Guess what the last article said, guess who is NOT the most profitable smart phone maker anymore? Yep its apple, remember when everyone clung to that and said hey its ok that google is dominating us in market share we got the money right?

Also if you pay attention to emerging markets and new phone companies a lot of Indian and Chinese companies which were only making low end cheap devices are starting to step up and gain support from their home market. Expect to see even more high end devices driving global competition in the Android space, MS, still saying you have to use low resolution, apple still being apple for decades strait, and mactards still being mactards trying to explain for hours how the obvious trend is not really obvious.

Andoid is great because it's open source. Android is bloated and slow to evolve because it's open source.
anyway, competition is good.
I use android.

Android is the Windows of the mobile segment, and they did it in part thanks to fragmentation, not in spite of it. Much like Windows.

And they did it while MS slept, as they let their first mover advantage and built up share of mid-2000's era Windows Mobile slip through their fingers by not taking mobile more seriously and pouring money and talent into innovation.

And worst of all now they want to take half-baked shortcuts to try to make up for lost time. Not gonna happen.

I like windows phone. I have have two different models, the last one a nokia device is my least favorite and very problematic. The htc I had was very solid, and fluid given it was a very low spec phone.

And for people running around with unpatched super security holes, being spied on by alphabet soup agencies, and for letting Google know everything and anything you do. :D

(At least, for the 20 minutes your battery lasts on a full charge between reboots from crashy abandonware apps you got off Google Play, the ultimate place to download 30 different non-functional versions of any program you can imagine.)

Funny how my LG Optimus G lasts all day when rooted then flashed with a stock rom.
The only reason a stock iPhone lasts longer is that Apple dictates that their phones don't receive a half gig of bloatware running in the background and doesn't allow for live wallpaper.
If you were allowed to buy a subsidized iPhone that came with all the carrier bs and had live wallpaper iPhone users would be bitching their phones were garbage that didn't last over 20 minutes on a full charge too.

For playing Angry Birds, accessing Facebook and Instagram and Twittering, yes.

And supercomputers, embedded devices, servers, or anything really important. You certainly wouldn't use Windows on a space station or a super collider. Those are jobs for Linux.

So...every phone out there has a custom ROM which fixes all the broken apps and prevents your location from being triangulated between cell towers.

Also, there is no such thing as a Windows server and Windows CE never existed on embedded devices.

So...every phone out there has a custom ROM which fixes all the broken apps and prevents your location from being triangulated between cell towers.

Also, there is no such thing as a Windows server and Windows CE never existed on embedded devices.

Every phone can be triangulated off of cell towers, smart phone or standard phone, doesn't matter.
And custom ROMs don't fix broken apps, just things like Carrier IQ which track and feed back all data 24/7, and remove bloatware that kills battery life.

Every phone can be triangulated off of cell towers, smart phone or standard phone, doesn't matter.
And custom ROMs don't fix broken apps, just things like Carrier IQ which track and feed back all data 24/7, and remove bloatware that kills battery life.

Yeah. The point I was getting at is that almost no one does the root and custom ROM thing. They buy their phone and use it. So while you in specific might now get 22 minutes of battery life, that's atypical of the general population who could just buy a Windows Phone or an iPhone and get better results without having to deal with the el cheapo Android stuff out there.

Sure there are, but Linux is #1 in those fields.

I can see where this is going. Next, you're going to say that they're all "penguins" and they wear tuxedoes...as if servers don't wear a nice polo shirt from whatever restaurant hired them.

Okay, okay, I get what you're saying. :)

Apples high profits are the result of their lead in the market in the beginning. As that erodes stat after stat they cling to as a reason iphones are better falls. Guess what the last article said, guess who is NOT the most profitable smart phone maker anymore? Yep its apple, remember when everyone clung to that and said hey its ok that google is dominating us in market share we got the money right?

Incorrect, profits are the result of the number of high end devices they sell. Note that Samsung needs to sell 3x as many devices as Apple to make as much profit. You know why? Profit margin.

Despite the fact that Samsung sells way more low end devices than high end, they are still by far the most successful seller of high end hardware running Android. The GS3, GN2, and GS4 crush competing products like the HTC One. They still sell far less than the iPhone does, but the remaining 50+ million low end devices make up the rest.

Samsung's profits are significantly helped by their high end device sales. Low end, despite being the bulk of their sales, have much lower per unit profit.

. I would be happy, because more devices means more people willing to develop, an lower prices / app for all of us.

Low end "smartphones" aren't used in the same way for apps, online, etc etc. It is why iOS leads internet traffic share, app usage, and mobile ad revenue (even for Google) despite there being 5x as many Android devices.

The gap in usage, software development, or ad revenue hasn't shrunk. Look at Samsung's smartphone sales last quarter, overall it went up from 50 million to 75 million but the high end units only went up from 19 million to 22 million. Meanwhile iPhone sales (all high end devices) went up from 25 million to 32 million in the same period.

When Google of all companies is making more money from iOS than their own Android, it is time to think about what the distribution of hardware really means. More marketshare is meaningless when it is mainly low end.

Another thing with the low end android phones is their shoddy app support. You'd be surprised all the problems these 'smart' phones have with some mainstream apps.

Incorrect, profits are the result of the number of high end devices they sell. Note that Samsung needs to sell 3x as many devices as Apple to make as much profit. You know why? Profit margin.

Despite the fact that Samsung sells way more low end devices than high end, they are still by far the most successful seller of high end hardware running Android. The GS3, GN2, and GS4 crush competing products like the HTC One. They still sell far less than the iPhone does, but the remaining 50+ million low end devices make up the rest.

Samsung's profits are significantly helped by their high end device sales. Low end, despite being the bulk of their sales, have much lower per unit profit.

Low end "smartphones" aren't used in the same way for apps, online, etc etc. It is why iOS leads internet traffic share, app usage, and mobile ad revenue (even for Google) despite there being 5x as many Android devices.

The gap in usage, software development, or ad revenue hasn't shrunk. Look at Samsung's smartphone sales last quarter, overall it went up from 50 million to 75 million but the high end units only went up from 19 million to 22 million. Meanwhile iPhone sales (all high end devices) went up from 25 million to 32 million in the same period.

When Google of all companies is making more money from iOS than their own Android, it is time to think about what the distribution of hardware really means. More marketshare is meaningless when it is mainly low end.

You are completely missing the point, unbelievable, sooner or later apple will not be selling enough high end devices. That is the obvious point and trend.

Another thing with the low end android phones is their shoddy app support. You'd be surprised all the problems these 'smart' phones have with some mainstream apps.

Google lets pretty much anyone put an app up in Google Play. They don't take the time to filter stuff out like Apple and Microsoft do so you get a bunch of awful programs that all try to do the same thing as each other, but none of them do it correctly.

They don't take the time to filter stuff out like Apple and Microsoft do so you get a bunch of awful programs that all try to do the same thing as each other, but none of them do it correctly.

Did I read that correctly, Google lets anything in while Microsoft "takes the time to filter" ... You sure you want to go down this road?

Q0Bwh5u.jpg

But wait.. there's more.

Click anywhere.

Back