390X coming soon few weeks

Not too far off from the previous fake rumors (~40% over 980).

at this point I actually want some rumors to state it's only a modest improvement over the 290X just so I can temper my expectations a little.

Looking at the specs of the 380x, 30-40% looks possible.

is it still coming in a 'few weeks' like the thread title states?...or is it June?...card really looks like a game changer with the HBM stackable memory...could be another 9800 Pro...since Nvidia won't be using HBM until Pascal in 2016 this could be AMD's chance to rule the graphics world for a long period of time

Last edited:
is it still coming in a 'few weeks' like the thread title states?...or is it June?...card really looks like game changer with the HBM stackable memory...could be another 9800 Pro...since Nvidia won't be using HBM until Pascal in 2016 this could be AMD's chance to rule the graphics world for a long period of time

Last I saw they were saying it would release in Q2, so around June could be right. HBM looks to be very exciting, really looking forward to reviews.

My guess as well with the limited amount of info we have thus far. Should also have more OC headroom than 290x.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is about the same as 290x for OC, due to the already massive TDP and heat etc. But with 4096 shaders and HBM memory it should be 30-50% better than a 290x which should be good enough for 1440p freesync gaming for another few years.... Hopefully AMD will realise that the massive TDP and heat is a problem for some people compared to the 980 and price it competitively. But my GTX 970 runs basically every game well enough at 1080p.... 1440p is a 35-40% performance hit, so if the 380x performs 35-40% better than the 970 then it should be good for freesync 1440p gaming for quite a long time, if it can run Crysis 3 and Far cry 4 at 60fps 2xaa 1440p then that will be good enough for single card, freesync, 1440p gaming for 2-3 years. Just hope that they release some normal coolers as well as the water cooled versions.

I wait for a special added OC super card there unless they have good headroom at reference already.
seems to be a card to have for me for a few years.
finnaly.

My guess as well with the limited amount of info we have thus far. Should also have more OC headroom than 290x.

I can barely push my 290x to 1100 on water without issues. Heat isn't the problem, it just doesn't have enough voltage to overclock much at all. I need something more.

I wait for a special added OC super card there unless they have good headroom at reference already.
seems to be a card to have for me for a few years.
finnaly.

Not really - anything we buy today is likely only a stop gap until 20/16nm cards.

I can barely push my 290x to 1100 on water without issues. Heat isn't the problem, it just doesn't have enough voltage to overclock much at all. I need something more.
?
i have no problem reaching 1300 core/1650 mem with only +200mv. You can even have unlimited range of adjustment via afterburner with some tweaks.

will the 390x be a "4k killer" ??

the next flagship will be the 380x. We may not even see a 390x at all.

I doubt the 970 issues or low AMD demands would impact their release timeframe.
The card is ready when it's ready. It's not like they can snap their fingers and have the 380X boxed and ready to ship.

The card is ready when it's ready. It's not like they can snap their fingers and have the 380X boxed and ready to ship.

Maybe they can if they leave off a few ROPS and some of their L2 Cache and Memory Controller...Of course, there's not enough time to update the packaging so they can just leave that in place and wait...oh...I dunno...maybe 4 months or so before updating the specs.

it can definitely have an impact...it's not like AMD/Nvidia release cards as soon as they come off the assembly line...they sit on it and wait for the best time...it also depends on what the competition is doing...this whole 970 fiasco is the perfect time for AMD to unleash this card...for all we know the cards may have been ready for some time

Wow. If those charts are even half right, that's a powerful card.

It may be over my personal budget if it's priced proportionally to its performance.

Ken

Wow. If those charts are even half right, that's a powerful card.

It may be over my personal budget if it's priced proportionally to its performance.

Ken

It will be priced accordingly. I'm expecting it to be around the $700 mark if it puts up numbers like that. If it comes watercooled at that price, its not such a bad deal. Hopefully we will see some cheaper ones with quality air cooling.

It will be priced accordingly. I'm expecting it to be around the $700 mark if it puts up numbers like that. If it comes watercooled at that price, its not such a bad deal. Hopefully we will see some cheaper ones with quality air cooling.
With a projected higher TDP than the 290X, it's unlikely to see many with air cooling that come out any respectable amount cheaper. Big heatsinks get expensive.

the vapor-x cooler is rated at 350watts tdp i believe.

Stock shouldnt be an issue with AIB coolers.

OC cards might be.

With a projected higher TDP than the 290X, it's unlikely to see many with air cooling that come out any respectable amount cheaper. Big heatsinks get expensive.

You might be right about their plans, but I don't think the extra 10 watts will rule out all of the existing coolers we see on the current crop of 290x's. An OC'd 290x can easily exceed 330w while staying under 90c on a good air cooler.

the vapor-x cooler is rated at 350watts tdp i believe.

Stock shouldnt be an issue with AIB coolers.

OC cards might be.
Rated for that TDP but at what delta? The stock cooler for the 290X was rated for its TDP, but at a temperature delta above what the GPU could handle.

700 bucks for a video card ...must be nice

$700 for a video card is not unreasonable if it performs as advertised.

Everyone seems to forget that's about the average price for which flagship cards have sold...

kQ4scXe.jpg

The most expensive AMD GPU since the 3000 series (~2006) was $550.
Whatever beast AMD puts out, it's not going to be $700.

Just because Nvidia enjoys gouging their customers doesn't mean everybody does. Although the water on this "380X" might run the price up.

Rated for that TDP but at what delta? The stock cooler for the 290X was rated for its TDP, but at a temperature delta above what the GPU could handle.

My point was if the 380 is 290watts or so as the leaks suggets, the vapor-X at 350 has plenty of built in delta for stock.

OC is another issue.

Going by the chiphell benchmarks it's only about 10W higher than the 290X which means the partners could take their exact 290X coolers and slap them on this new card and they'd be fine... Well, most of them. The cooling solutions for 290/290X were an absolute train wreck... It's why I don't own one, if you can believe it. Unless you want to pay big bucks for the tank-sized MSI Lightning or Vapor-X cards.

Matching perf-per-watt with the 980 would put the "380X" @ 248W. So AMD is off by about 50W, about 19% higher.
So actually not that terrible.

Don't see AMD gouging nearly as much as nvidia does. Maybe pricing would be inline for a higher price, but lower that a bit maybe and then with a 390 (non-x version) still beating the competition by a good margin at an even lesser price. In this case I could see it as an opportunity for AMD to gain marketshare if it is priced right. Also depends on what AMD expects the competition to have on their release schedule too.

I like the little closed loop coolers, but if the performance in close to these slides I'll probably be going full water with a new build this time round.

?
i have no problem reaching 1300 core/1650 mem with only +200mv. You can even have unlimited range of adjustment via afterburner with some tweaks.

the next flagship will be the 380x. We may not even see a 390x at all.

Well to be fair, its a 290 with unlocked shaders. Either way, it doesn't like to overclock for shit.

if true, 800 isnt a bad deal.
those who buys those will buy them whatever price.

Given the value frequently found in the half-step down (5850, 6950, 7950, 290) cards, I am anxious to see what the full line ends up looking like both in specs and pricing.

Two 380(non-x)s might be the chance to future-proof* for a couple years.

*future-proofing being an imaginary fantasy

$700 for a video card is not unreasonable if it performs as advertised.

Everyone seems to forget that's about the average price for which flagship cards have sold...

kQ4scXe.jpg

GTX 8800s cost that much for about two weeks after the initial shipment sold out. At release, and for most of it's retail run, 8800 GTX was $550-600.

The most expensive AMD GPU since the 3000 series (~2006) was $550.
Whatever beast AMD puts out, it's not going to be $700.

Just because Nvidia enjoys gouging their customers doesn't mean everybody does. Although the water on this "380X" might run the price up.

I agree.

My guess ,if this leak is real, this is the 380X and I bet it will be priced at or around the current price of the GTX 980. Wouldnt even be shocked if it was priced lower than the 980 at 450-499 range.

IIRC except for dual GPU cards AMD/ATi has never priced a card above $550 at launch.

IIRC except for dual GPU cards AMD/ATi has never priced a card above $550 at launch.
It's all about what the market can bear. If they blow out NVIDIA's $550 GPU then they will likely launch at a higher price. It's like when the FX chips were top of the line and they sold them for $1000.

That said, I don't expect them to be completely unreasonable :)

Back