390X coming soon few weeks

I would love for AMD to launch at a lower price, but if they have a stronger card then I do expect them to price it accordingly. They do tend to price these things at more competitive prices than the competition.

I'd love to get a single 390X to replace my two 290s in CF since CF honestly never really worked for me. But I have to admit after owning the 290s for a long time now they run really hot. I hope the 390X are better in the cooling dept.

I'd love to get a single 390X to replace my two 290s in CF since CF honestly never really worked for me. But I have to admit after owning the 290s for a long time now they run really hot. I hope the 390X are better in the cooling dept.

I find this heat issue common for all ATI cards I've owned.

Ah, quite right: that's the Ultra: nVidia's foray ("market recon SKU") to gauge how much consumers would pay for a slight speed increase.

I don't have a problem with that.

This is how the market is supposed to work. None of it is "gouging".

Companies are supposed to charge what the market will bear, or essentially, as much as people will pay for them. They owe this responsibility to their shareholders.

Usually one side or the other will charge a lot more for their top end products, when the competition doesn't have anything to match it, because they can. And when they can, they are supposed to.

What it all comes down to is that in reality there are no video card companies, or car companies or fast food companies. There is only one type of company, and that is a company in the money business.

They all exist to make money, as much money as they possibly can, and they don't do this by giving away products they can charge more for, for less money.

They owe the gaming community nothing, so don't feel cheated if the next upgrade is expensive. If it costs more than you are willing or able to pay, then it is simple. Just don't buy it :p

that's a big spread...hopefully it'll be $499.99
You can hope all you want, but it's going to be a massive chip - and big chips cost big money. If it performs as well as these 'leaks', then at $700 it would actually be a good value.

I find this heat issue common for all ATI cards I've owned.

Which cards have you owned? I have had many ATi/AMD cards over the years and honestly only two of the cards ever created excessive heat.

You can hope all you want, but it's going to be a massive chip - and big chips cost big money. If it performs as well as these 'leaks', then at $700 it would actually be a good value.

Yeah honestly it would but I am still hoping for around 600 or so. I hate paying over 600 for a GPU in all honesty.

We simply don't know enough yet.

Its going to have less to do with how much it costs to produce and more with its performance and other features and how much they think people are willing to pay for it.

Only amateur small businesses do "cost plus" pricing. Pricing is always determined by what the market will bear.

If the price is too low, there will be shortages. If the price is too high, there will be excess inventory and slowed production.

What it actually costs to make has almost no impact on the final price, only that if it costs too much, and the profit margin is too small (or negative) it gets canceled, not made in the first place, or sold at a loss until a fix or next generation that is more cost effective can replace it.

saw this last night....still just as vague as anything else. speculation is 100% pointless from that small tidbit of information AMD shared.

Exactly. This is just AMD's vague, engineered weekly comment to keep interest going. There will be another smoke and mirrors official comment followed another "leaked" benchmark or spec next week, no doubt.

Do you usually but the stock fan versions ?

I do. I usually buy them on release usually before custom cooling solutions come out. The only one in recent memory that was really hot was the r9 200 series.

I doubt AMD would charge more than £500 for this... Even if it is 30% faster than a 980 it will still have double the TDP and a lot more heat and noise, so it should be priced competitively with the 980.

Bundled with Gta V.
Was GTA 5 confirmed as a Gaming Evolved title?
Saw it rumored a few months ago, even some Mantle stuff floating around... But nothing from R*'s mouth.

Rockstar loves money too much to bundle with AMD cards. Especially since they've never done it before.
It's usually craptastic Squeenix stuff.

BUT an R9 380X + GTA 5 bundle would break the internet.

I doubt AMD would charge more than £500 for this... Even if it is 30% faster than a 980 it will still have double the TDP and a lot more heat and noise, so it should be priced competitively with the 980.

Not double the TDP and not a lot more heat and noise especially if it is on a CLC. TDP definition for Nvidia and AMD are 2 different measurements.

80w more than GTX 980, probably. Not 160w.

Not double the TDP and not a lot more heat and noise especially if it is on a CLC. TDP definition for Nvidia and AMD are 2 different measurements.

80w more than GTX 980, probably. Not 160w.
Seriously, look at the last [H] review of a GTX 980. Actual gaming load power consumption.

Under full load we saw the ASUS ROG GTX 980 MATRIX-P increase up to 352W under load. This is not much more than the STRIX version which ran at 345W. We also notice at this point the ASUS ROG R9 290X MATRIX-P's power consumption is much higher than the GTX 980 at 465W, while delivering inferior gameplay.

When we overclocked the ASUS ROG GTX 980 MATRIX-P the total system draw increased to 370W. This is 8W higher than the ASUS GTX 980 STRIX DC II OC which drew 362W. These two video cards seemed not only to be identical in gameplay performance, but in power consumption as well. The ASUS ROG GTX 980 MATRIX-P does have more top-end room, however we didn't need to push power consumption to achieve the maximum overclock on air. The ASUS ROG R9 290X MATRIX-P's overclocked power draw increased up to 617W from the wall. This is 247W more than the overclocked ASUS ROG GTX 980 MATRIX-P with much slower gameplay.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...ix_platinum_video_card_review/11#.VNURZlXF9hx

That's the 165w TDP GTX 980 versus the 250w TDP 290X.

Yes and the 380x is supposed to have a THREE HUNDRED WATT TEE DEE PEE, which would be about double the power consumption and also much more heat compared to 980... But 30% more performance and freesync would be worth the increase in power and heat for a single card freesync 1440p.. IF it is priced competitively to the 980.

Yes and the 380x is supposed to have a THREE HUNDRED WATT TEE DEE PEE, which would be about double the power consumption and also much more heat compared to 980... But 30% more performance and freesync would be worth the increase in power and heat for a single card freesync 1440p.. IF it is priced competitively to the 980.

This is why I just can't look at AMD currently. These power figures are ridiculous. Of course I am trying to sandwich in a top tier GPU into a SFF case, but still. I could probably cope with 300w tdp, but not if it has to be liquid cooled. I don't know how many others are with me here, but with such elaborate cooling methods and high power consumption, AMD isn't a viable option for some because of this. I really wish they would get the power use under control.

Honestly, if 300watts TDP bothers you, you should not be shopping in the Flagship/Halo price segment.

There are plenty of other lower wattage opions in the mainstream segment...

this isnt oft....

As long as the price and performance are good, power consumption can go out the window.
Although right now the 290 and 290X are complete failures compared to the 970 in pretty much every regard.

The 290X needs to be about $250 to be viable, they're still being sold for over $300. May as well just buy a 970 at that point.

Nvidia will have their chance to stomp the 380X later this year.

This is why I just can't look at AMD currently. These power figures are ridiculous. Of course I am trying to sandwich in a top tier GPU into a SFF case, but still. I could probably cope with 300w tdp, but not if it has to be liquid cooled. I don't know how many others are with me here, but with such elaborate cooling methods and high power consumption, AMD isn't a viable option for some because of this. I really wish they would get the power use under control.

Everything is a trade off.

If the TDP rumors are accurate (which we still have no REAL confirmation of), they are probably only high because AMD has counted on making this gen on a smaller process node, but 16nm is delayed, and 22nm yields haven't improved as expected, and mobile customers (like Qualcomm and Apple) are gobbling up all the low yield capacity they probably had to settle for 28nm for yet another generation, which means higher heat output than they had hoped, forcing them to get more elaborate cooling than they had hoped.

That being said, I'd take a single high TDP GPU over multiple lower TDP GPU's any day. The high end single GPU experience trumps any amount of Crossfire/SLI, provided you can get playable framerates.

Honestly, if 300watts TDP bothers you, you should not be shopping in the Flagship/Halo price segment.

this isnt oft....

Well yes but obviously the same performance at half the TDP and a lot less heat is better.... Saying that you are not a proper hardware enthusiast because you don't like 300w TDP and heat is a bit silly... For example running 2 or 3 of these in crossfire the heat would be ridiculous and also you would need 3 exhausts for those radiators which would not be possible for the 99.9% of people that do not use custom water blocks... no there are not any lower wattage options which are competitive with a 980 and would be able to run 1440p freesync. Double the TDP of a 980 would be easily made up for with freesync not costing £200 and also 30% more performance than a 980 if the 380x is priced competitively with the 980... If it is priced at £600 or something then it is not worth it.

Last edited:
This is [H]ard|Forum, not [G]reen|Forum. TDP shmeedeepee. I want performance. If AMD brings it, I'll buy it. I'm due for an upgrade and will be waiting for these 380's to hit the market before making a purchase decision.

this isnt oft....

I don't see how your comment furthers your point. If you look at my sig, my M1 has just as much power as yours. TDP doesn't bother me, but it bothers me when another company can get a grip on it and the other cannot. All I was trying to say is if they could get the cards cooled without AIO loops and keep the TDP the same even, it would be an interesting choice for those of us running "sleeper" systems, as I call them.

My point is i dont give a damn if its 400watts TDP if it beats the 980.

$19 a year in extra power means absolutly nothing to me.

TDP is irelevent, only performance

this isnt oft....

Both teams have made improvements but NVIDIA has made improvements on performance while making dramatic improvements in power efficiency over the last 3 generations after the power sucking 580 gtx. AMD really needs to start focusing more on this.

Last edited:
I don't see how your comment furthers your point. If you look at my sig, my M1 has just as much power as yours. TDP doesn't bother me, but it bothers me when another company can get a grip on it and the other cannot. All I was trying to say is if they could get the cards cooled without AIO loops and keep the TDP the same even, it would be an interesting choice for those of us running "sleeper" systems, as I call them.

Comparing the TDPs of Maxwell to Hawaii is unfair, because you're comparing across different generations.

GK110 and Hawaii had comparable TDP and similar performance, and that often touted 300W TDP figure is for peak power consumption when crunching GPGPU. Gaming-wise the 290X is on par with GK110.

And don't forget, Maxwell will have 250W TDP cards too. If the 380X/390X performs better than GM200 then the 300W TDP is absolutely justified.

This is [H]ard|Forum, not [G]reen|Forum. TDP shmeedeepee. I want performance. If AMD brings it, I'll buy it. I'm due for an upgrade and will be waiting for these 380's to hit the market before making a purchase decision.

I would buy one as well IF it is 30%+ faster than a 970 AND priced competitively to the 980. Also if freesync is not a rip off like gsync is that would be another good reason.

Comparing the TDPs of Maxwell to Hawaii is unfair, because you're comparing across different generations.

GK110 and Hawaii had comparable TDP and similar performance, and that often touted 300W TDP figure is for peak power consumption when crunching GPGPU. Gaming-wise the 290X is on par with GK110.

And don't forget, Maxwell will have 250W TDP cards too. If the 380X/390X performs better than GM200 then the 300W TDP is absolutely justified.

I doubt it will but it should be better price / performance.

Its pretty much a given at this point that Freesync/Async is cheap based on the the CES intros...

nope, $15 a year difference between the 980 and 290x for me.

i said $19 because my electricity is cheaper than opther parts of the US.

i game 2hrs a day x 7 days x 135 watt difference x 52 weeks /1000 watts per per kwhr x 0.15 per kwhr = $14.74

Last edited:
Back