34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

I picked up the LG 32UM95 today at Microcenter for $999 before tax.

It's a nice monitor and I fell in love with it when the sales rep showed me the old Mac Mini driving the display at 3440x1440. Well, I bought it and a thunderbolt cable (LG is too cheap to include either the thunderbolt cable or the USB uplink cable). The monitor is pretty good, but my unit seems to suffer from back light bleed on the left half of the screen. It's very noticeable on dark scenes. Also, there are some quirks with the thunderbolt linkup. For example, when the monitor changes display resolutions, it disconnects all the downstream thunderbolt devices and then sort of restarts itself and takes the new resolution.

The split screen is nice and everything, but you'll need to force a custom resolution on your computer to not have a blurred image.

My 2012 Macbook Pro with the retina screen is able to drive the 32UM95 at 3440x1440 and a Samsung screen at 2560x1440. I can hook up a third screen, but I'll have to use the HDMI connection.

I have a late 2012 mac mini, I have not even hooked it to the UM95, I did not think it could drive it at 3440x1440. I also have a 2012 MackBook Pro Retina, it drives the monitor at 3440x1440.....looks pretty good. Now that I know that the mini will do this as well, I have to find a way to daisy chain all this stuff via thunderbolt.

In addition to the 2 macs, I also have a Thunderbolt Display. I assume I can daisy chain this in such a way that the mac mini and the macbook show on both the TBD and the UM95 (not at the same time of course) via thunderbolt, without the use of a thunderbolt dock. Is this doable?

I have the ColorMunki Display and I can't get it to work with LG's True Color Finder. So I just use X-rite's software instead to generate the profile. I wanted to use the True Color Finder because of its integration with the monitor's actual settings. probably should've gotten one those newer Spyders.

@gggbills

Yes, that will work. I'm not sure about chaining for the Mac Mini, but it will work for the RMBP.

Every lcd monitor I have bought all came out of the box with brightness set at 100%. Seems every manufacturer does this for some odd reason. So for those complaining about 100% brightness setting out of the box I say its normal and to be expected. You will have to set it to what your eyes feel good at.

Its hard to say who will have this monitor in stock and when. Supply is low at this early stage. Its going to take time for LG to get retailers fully stocked since demand is high right now and production is just now getting going. So far the stores we do know that does carry/offer the UM95 (the ones I have seen or heard anyway) so far is:

Newegg
Amazon
Tiger Direct
Microcenter
B&H

As of this posting only Microcenter has them in stock but it is dependent on the store in question and Microcenter is only located in so many states so not widely available. We're just going to have to keep our eyes open and pass it along when we see the stores get a delivery in. :)
How could you not post FRYS??? :p Two of the four stores in the DFW area have them on the shelf for pickup right now. All four had it last week when it came out, so they are going fast, but they're still available if you can get to a store.

I'm unfortunately paying big $$ this month for our vacation in July (weekly rental of the condo we're staying in is due end of may to reserve it), plus I *really* want to see how this stacks up against the upcoming ROG 27", or I'd have already reduced the stock by one more.

How could you not post FRYS??? :p Two of the four stores in the DFW area have them on the shelf for pickup right now. All four had it last week when it came out, so they are going fast, but they're still available if you can get to a store.

I'm unfortunately paying big $$ this month for our vacation in July (weekly rental of the condo we're staying in is due end of may to reserve it), plus I *really* want to see how this stacks up against the upcoming ROG 27", or I'd have already reduced the stock by one more.

The ROG and UM95 are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

So the cheaper Spyder 4 Express won't work? I'm trying to pin down exactly which Calibrator will work. It says in the manual the Spyder 3 will work too. If so I might pick one of those up instead.

The ROG and UM95 are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Exactly. If they were very similar, comparison would be a simple exercise. As it is I want to see both up and running first in order to make the (entirely subjective) call of viewspace immersion vs. motion clarity. I'm a huge flight sim junkie, and the extra width of the UM95 would add a lot to the immersion, but clarity would help quite a bit even there. Keeping track of your opponent while rolling your viewing base around and snapping your viewpoint from that base all over the place with TIR can be a challenge, so it's not a slam dunk for the UM95. And BF4 play (more casual there) would also obviously benefit from more motion clarity.

Getting both gsync and 21:9 34" would make for the perfect monitor that I'd pay a LOT for, of course, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for while at least.

elvn said:
...or if you are lucky, on different sides of your desk.
I sit in an Obutto Rev at home, so it's got to be one or the other, unfortunately. Or three of one, I guess, but even with my Titan that's not going to happen without going SLI.

I notice every once in a while my display flickers, and it "POPS!" like from electrical interference. I hear an audible, "POP!" from my speakers.

Exactly. If they were very similar, comparison would be a simple exercise. As it is I want to see both up and running first in order to make the (entirely subjective) call of viewspace immersion vs. motion clarity. I'm a huge flight sim junkie, and the extra width of the UM95 would add a lot to the immersion, but clarity would help quite a bit even there. Keeping track of your opponent while rolling your viewing base around and snapping your viewpoint from that base all over the place with TIR can be a challenge, so it's not a slam dunk for the UM95. And BF4 play (more casual there) would also obviously benefit from more motion clarity.

Getting both gsync and 21:9 34" would make for the perfect monitor that I'd pay a LOT for, of course, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for while at least.

I sit in an Obutto Rev at home, so it's got to be one or the other, unfortunately. Or three of one, I guess, but even with my Titan that's not going to happen without going SLI.

You're making your decision on based games, so I would go with the ROG.
The UM95 is a productivity monitor first. I used one yesterday and that's primarily what I would buy it for, and game on something that's 120Hz.

I notice every once in a while my display flickers, and it "POPS!" like from electrical interference. I hear an audible, "POP!" from my speakers.

Mine started doing this when I enabled Displayport 1.2 in the settings. I turned it off and this went away. Not sure why.

Mine started doing this when I enabled Displayport 1.2 in the settings. I turned it off and this went away. Not sure why.
Yes, I enabled DP 1.2 in mine as well. But doesn't enabling DP 1.2 give you a bigger color table?

Does anyone know if I can use a Thunderbolt cable from this display into my video card? And if this works, would I still have to plug the USB cable from the monitor to the PC, or would Thunderbolt carry that too? Trying to not have a bunch of wires.

@Zorn

You need to read up on thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is on very few motherboards and all Macs from the last 2-3 years or so.

Thunderbolt is not a magic connection that'll give you goodies just by plugging a thunderbolt cable into a display port. So, it will not work as you originally thought. You will need a USB cable. The LG monitor does not come with one.

Yes, I enabled DP 1.2 in mine as well. But doesn't enabling DP 1.2 give you a bigger color table?

I am getting the same thing with mine. Not sure at this point if I am going to keep mine. I have a little glow in the bottom left corner but it is only noticeable on black screens so it is not too bad. But for $1000.00 display I was expecting a little more.

Was bout to order the last one from micro center but it went out of stock as I was picking the shipping speed lol. I guess ill just order from amazon anyways. How long you think that wait will be?

Its hard to say who will have this monitor in stock and when. Supply is low at this early stage. Its going to take time for LG to get retailers fully stocked since demand is high right now and production is just now getting going. So far the stores we do know that does carry/offer the UM95 (the ones I have seen or heard anyway) so far is:

Newegg
Amazon
Tiger Direct
Microcenter
B&H
Frys

As of this posting only Microcenter has them in stock but it is dependent on the store in question and Microcenter is only located in so many states so not widely available. We're just going to have to keep our eyes open and pass it along when we see the stores get a delivery in. :)

Edit: Added Frys to the list. Again, some stores may have them some not. :)

Updated the list. As far as 27" monitors go I personally have no interest. Looking for something 30"+ as many here are as well. Each to their own though. :)

Try disabling Displayport 1.2 in the settings menu. That resolved my flicker on mine (nvidia Gtx 780 Ti)

Heys guys,

I have the updated revision 29" LG ultrawide and am seriously thinking about replacing it with the 34" model. Is the input lag on the 34" pretty low, like the later revision 29" models ? LG haven't taken a step back to the aweful input lag of the original 29" models have they ?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
$899 @ Adorama. You guys need to install PriceBlink. It's a handy tool to have. I probably would have waited to save $100. Oh well.

Interesting. I went ahead and ordered one @ $899 since it doesn't look like Amazon is shipping anytime soon. I normally buy from Amazon exclusively, but $100 is a decent chunk of money.

Hopefully I remember to cancel whichever doesn't ship first...

Try disabling Displayport 1.2 in the settings menu. That resolved my flicker on mine (nvidia Gtx 780 Ti)

You won't get the full 8+2 bit colour spectrum if you do that. Hmm... Reckon this monitor will need a firmware update?

You won't get the full 8+2 bit colour spectrum if you do that. Hmm... Reckon this monitor will need a firmware update?
I moved the power brick away from my power strip and the flickering/popping seems to be much less, unsure if that was part of it or not. It happens very infrequently anyways, hardly enough for me to notice. But yea, I think the display probably needs a firmware update.

Makes me wonder if the prices will start to drop from the $1000 after a few weeks once they get the supply chain going properly? Stranger things have been known to happen. I may wait for June and the new Intel chips before buying. I need to build a new rig anyway for this beast. Looking at new cases and psu now. :D

I bought mine from Adorama for $999 and I just called them and they said since my purchase was within 30 days they will refund me $100 since their price is now $899! Very, very good service from Adorama, they will see more of my business! This display is a steal at $899 IMHO.

I bought mine from Adorama for $999 and I just called them and they said since my purchase was within 30 days they will refund me $100 since their price is now $899! Very, very good service from Adorama, they will see more of my business! This display is a steal at $899 IMHO.

Very nice! Hopefully they restock soon so mine will ship. :eek:

Question: Can the devices connected to the UM95's USB Hub be accessed by any computer connected to the monitor?

For example: I have a Bose Companion 5 Speakers connected to the USB on the back of the monitor. The A/B USB cable is connected to my laptop, and the laptop accesses the speakers just fine. My MackBook Pro is connected to the monitor via thunderbolt, and it can also access and use the speakers just fine.

However, I have a Lenovo A720 AIO computer with an HDMI Out port. I connected it to monitor via HDMI, and although I can mirror the Lenovo screen on my LG monitor, the AIO does not seem to recognize the speakers at all. Do I need to connect the AIO to the monitor via USB as well?

Has anyone else who purchased from TigerDirect gotten any tracking info for the monitor? I purchased Friday evening and haven't gotten an update other than it is in process at the warehouse.

Back