34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Yes I think a lot of us have been curious to see a picture of a 27" 2560x1440 (LG~>korean/cinema display, etc) next to one of these 21:9 's , lined up so that they match.

Mine will be here today hopefully, maybe at the weekend. I have a Dell U2713HM so will try to put them both side by side so people can see the difference though I will not be using them in dual screen config as I'm moving away from that setup now (27"+24").

I've already found a buyer for the 27" so it will be a hasty setup for the photo only :p

Last edited:
Well....I got a tracking number yesterday from microcenter...but it doesnt track anything. So I waited until this morning and still the number gives an error. I was told I'd get it today which doesnt look like it will happen. I paid 80 bucks for next day shipping. Fedex doesn't deliver on saturdays. I feel mislead so far. I see now why amazon owns the internet market.

Well....I got a tracking number yesterday from microcenter...but it doesnt track anything. So I waited until this morning and still the number gives an error. I was told I'd get it today which doesnt look like it will happen. I paid 80 bucks for next day shipping. Fedex doesn't deliver on saturdays. I feel mislead so far. I see now why amazon owns the internet market.

You'll get it I think.
They also gave me a wrong tracking number for FedEx.

But...Fedex is set up to call me and let me know of incoming packages and the automated system gave me a different tracking number....but it's definitely the monitor (size/weight).

Microcenter. Eeks. Need to work on their online thing for SURE.

You'll get it I think.
They also gave me a wrong tracking number for FedEx.

But...Fedex is set up to call me and let me know of incoming packages and the automated system gave me a different tracking number....but it's definitely the monitor (size/weight).

Microcenter. Eeks. Need to work on their online thing for SURE.

These tracking numbers can take a while to update sometimes. You will probably get it before the tracking number shows its out of delivery.

These tracking numbers can take a while to update sometimes. You will probably get it before the tracking number shows its out of delivery.

You guys were right. I called fedex and microcenter gave me the wrong tracking number. The monitor is coming in today!!!

Mine arrived today, I thought it was stuck in Germany, but it wasn't. Pleasant surprise. Nothing bad regarding pixels or anything, so I can keep it.

Really struggling to find some wallpapers though. :mad:
And it takes some getting used to, coming from a 27" 1080p. This thing is huge.

Mine arrived today, I thought it was stuck in Germany, but it wasn't. Pleasant surprise. Nothing bad regarding pixels or anything, so I can keep it.

Really struggling to find some wallpapers though. :mad:
And it takes some getting used to, coming from a 27" 1080p. This thing is huge.

Go for 4k walls and scale them. I have a giant folder of HR shots that i set to crop automatically and cycle through them with display fusion. Some are wonky though.

Well, mine is heading back for a return, so it'll be soon available for someone else.

Was a disappointment for me personally.
A few points:

1. My Crossover 3020mdp is apparently a reasonably good panel. Looks every bit as good to my eye, save for not being an LED backlight (which I would like, no question).

2. 1600 down to 1440 makes a difference to me. Love to have vertical pixel height as it really lessens extra scrolling on web pages, emails, etc, etc. -- It seems like a small change but I'm not a fan of losing the vertical pixels. Before anyone starts about "relative sizes", the actual pixels lost from 1600 down to 1440 is what I mean. No amount of moving the monitor in or out or anything makes up for simply having less vertical pixels for an interface/app to draw and use.

3. Wall mount: This was a MASSIVE disappointment and frankly makes me irritated. Even with the stand removed, the "connection" point for the stand protrudes out the back of the monitor and totally eliminates the ability to mount it very close to a wall. I have a great setup with a low profile Monoprice wall mount and it doesn't work with the LG as the monitor itself (that stand connection point) touches the wall before the VESA mount area. To use my setup, I'd need an adapter or bracket of some kind to make up the difference in depth between the VESA mount area and the stand bracket that sticks out the bottom/back of the monitor.

4. Width: I did some flight simming this morning and it's nice, but I have to be honest....beyond games, I actually found it to be perhaps *too* wide. I was literally having to turn my head and sometimes move my body to get a good view at things on the far left or right. I suppose I would adjust, but for me it was just one more nail in the coffin.

Ok. Enough negativity. Beautiful screen, cool aspect ratio and nice for gaming for sure (not sure about response times, I just mean the field of view).
If something like this could be flush wall mounted and had a 16:10 ratio (or I guess was just wider and taller and had at least 1600px vertically - but that starts to get really wide) I'd be more into it.

As it now stands, I think I'm on the sidelines and may look into that LG 31" 4k monitor (if it ever comes out).

Once again, this LG is a very nice monitor, just with some quirks that make it not for me.
I have a feeling that overall satisfaction with this display will vary greatly depending upon what you're coming from and/or are used to.

(Mac Users: Worked flawlessly upon plugging into Display Port. No adjustments needed whatsoever -- I know lots are interested in the Thunderbolt dock functionality, of which was no interest to me.)

Last edited:
Returning:

Hopefully the return process goes ok.
Spoke to MicroCenter by phone and the "hokey" nature of their online sales continues.

Said it would take 2-3 days to get an RMA email (?? Written by hand and delivered by donkey or what?) and then ship it back however you choose.

You can bet I'll be using signature required tracking. haha.

--

Really not sure I'd use the MicroCenter online purchase again. They just feel like they're operating in 1999 in terms of communication and interaction throughout the purchase delivery process.
I'm sure the in store stuff is better with them, as many say they're great....the online part seems to live in a different universe.

Well, mine is heading back for a return, so it'll be soon available for someone else.

Too bad it didn't work out. Thanks for sharing your points, though.

4. Width: I did some flight simming this morning and it's nice, but I have to be honest....beyond games, I actually found it to be perhaps *too* wide. I was literally having to turn my head and sometimes move my body to get a good view at things on the far left or right. I suppose I would adjust, but for me it was just one more nail in the coffin.

That's what I'm worried about, too. I sit far enough away from my monitor that hopefully it won't be a problem, though.

This is also why I keep suggesting that people forget about using this monitor in portrait mode.

I have question not entirely related to this monitor, but I hope someone can help me with it.

I have a 290x, which the 34UM95 is connected to through Display Port. Now I also have the 27A750D which was supposed to replace it, but I was considering keeping it, but since I lack a second Display Port, if I convert the signal to DVI-D (Which the 290x has 2 of), will it still output 120hz?

Hope someone can help me. I want to give it a shot but I'll probably sell the thing anyway.

Ya not every display is for everyone:

The Seiki 39" 4K was impressive with its VA panel, but its 30hz max sucked and it was a tad to big vertically and horizontially for my confort levels.

The Samsung U28D590 had terrible TN color shifting and annoying colors IMHO

The Dell UP2414Q was very impressive, but at 24" was too small to enjoy the resolution and the MST mode gave me annoying quirks.

But for me the 34UM95 was the Goldilocks of just displays for what I need.

Ya not every display is for everyone:

The Seiki 39" 4K was impressive with its VA panel, but its 30hz max sucked and it was a tad to big vertically and horizontially for my confort levels.

The Samsung U28D590 had terrible TN color shifting and annoying colors IMHO

The Dell UP2414Q was very impressive, but at 24" was too small to enjoy the resolution and the MST mode gave me annoying quirks.

But for me the 34UM95 was the Goldilocks of just displays for what I need.

Totally.

I have a feeling a high quality 4k at the 32" size will ultimately be for me.
Probably have to wait a bit it sounds like though.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the box it is actually shipped in? I live in an APO/UK area and trying to figure out the best vendor to get it here quickly.

Was a disappointment for me personally.
A few points:

1. My Crossover 3020mdp is apparently a reasonably good panel. Looks every bit as good to my eye, save for not being an LED backlight (which I would like, no question).

2. 1600 down to 1440 makes a difference to me. Love to have vertical pixel height as it really lessens extra scrolling on web pages, emails, etc, etc. -- It seems like a small change but I'm not a fan of losing the vertical pixels. Before anyone starts about "relative sizes", the actual pixels lost from 1600 down to 1440 is what I mean. No amount of moving the monitor in or out or anything makes up for simply having less vertical pixels for an interface/app to draw and use.

3. Wall mount: This was a MASSIVE disappointment and frankly makes me irritated. Even with the stand removed, the "connection" point for the stand protrudes out the back of the monitor and totally eliminates the ability to mount it very close to a wall. I have a great setup with a low profile Monoprice wall mount and it doesn't work with the LG as the monitor itself (that stand connection point) touches the wall before the VESA mount area. To use my setup, I'd need an adapter or bracket of some kind to make up the difference in depth between the VESA mount area and the stand bracket that sticks out the bottom/back of the monitor.

Ok. Enough negativity. Beautiful screen, cool aspect ratio and nice for gaming for sure (not sure about response times, I just mean the field of view).
If something like this could be flush wall mounted and had a 16:10 ratio (or I guess was just wider and taller and had at least 1600px vertically - but that starts to get really wide) I'd be more into it.

As it now stands, I think I'm on the sidelines and may look into that LG 31" 4k monitor (if it ever comes out).

Once again, this LG is a very nice monitor, just with some quirks that make it not for me.
I have a feeling that overall satisfaction with this display will vary greatly depending upon what you're coming from and/or are used to.

(Mac Users: Worked flawlessly upon plugging into Display Port. No adjustments needed whatsoever -- I know lots are interested in the Thunderbolt dock functionality, of which was no interest to me.)

Bro, I hate to be THAT guy, but you never even gave it a chance. Anytime you change anything...car, display, mouse, wife...opps. if feels off. You simply have to give it a couple of days to adjust to it. I came from a Dell U3011 and I know its personal preference, but I had this for many years and I was concerned I would miss the vert. Long story short , this display is the best ive ever owned and to me displaces 4K completely.

Give it time to adjust and I gurantee you change your tune. Im hooked

PS as for the vesa mount, get a folding , thin swing arm one such as this http://www.amazon.com/Mount-It-Articulating-Bracket-Monitor-Displays/dp/B00898482G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399670254&sr=8-2&keywords=arm+vesa+mount and you can get it pretty damn close to the wall. Remember bra, where there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should be a decent upgrade from my circa 2003 dual Dell 2001FPs lol, I've waited long enough!

So who's going to buy 3 of these for 180 degree surround gaming? lol

****Edit**** Woohoo, cancelled w/ CC/Amazon in favor of TD...strange that TD proper had it cheaper because Circuit City IS TigerDirect...

Now to find a monitor arm....Any recommendations? I've previously used the Monoprice arms, but this monitor is substantially chunkier at 17 pounds.

Last edited:
Should be a decent upgrade from my circa 2003 dual Dell 2001FPs lol, I've waited long enough!

****Edit**** Woohoo, cancelled w/ CC/Amazon in favor of TD...strange that TD proper had it cheaper because Circuit City IS TigerDirect...

Now to find a monitor arm....Any recommendations? I've previously used the Monoprice arms, but this monitor is substantially chunkier at 17 pounds.

This is a bit pricey but I stand behind it 100% it simply is the best monitor arm on the market imho. http://www.thehumansolution.com/inn...radial-lcd-arm-internal-cable-management.html

Hey thought you guys would like to know TigerDirect got the monitor in stock

Link

Holy Crap! I need to order this when I get home. Be still my heart!

Think its worth the extra $100 for a extended warranty? 95% of the time I don't buy warranties but for some things I do.

Thanks, by the way there is a $15 off link for TD on retailmenot for orders over $100 so got it for $984 with 2-day shoprunner shipping.

Would that particular model be big enough to handle the UM95?

The ergotron lx series will also hold it (up to 30 lbs). Also a very good (and cheaper) arm. You can often find them on eBay for under $100 used.

Bro, I hate to be THAT guy, but you never even gave it a chance. Anytime you change anything...car, display, mouse, wife...opps. if feels off. You simply have to give it a couple of days to adjust to it. I came from a Dell U3011 and I know its personal preference, but I had this for many years and I was concerned I would miss the vert. Long story short , this display is the best ive ever owned and to me displaces 4K completely.

Give it time to adjust and I gurantee you change your tune. Im hooked

PS as for the vesa mount, get a folding , thin swing arm one such as this http://www.amazon.com/Mount-It-Articulating-Bracket-Monitor-Displays/dp/B00898482G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399670254&sr=8-2&keywords=arm+vesa+mount and you can get it pretty damn close to the wall. Remember bra, where there is a will, there is a way.

It is true that you have to turn your head a little (or at least move your eyes more than normal) to view the far corners. It isn't enough to turn me off as you have to do the same for dual monitors. The truth is that if this one had a curve to it and wrapped around you, it would be hands down the greatest form factor monitor ever. One day...

Got the monitor..fired up elder scrolls....and..im disappointed...The black levels are bad. Really bad...in the corners its like the black is greyish..Now..I dont have anyting to calibrate it. I just turned the brightness down...please please help me...What can I do to fix this? Im coming from a 1440p Achieva Monitor..

First report of black looking greyish. Calibration needed I guess.

Thanks for the monitor stand advice DevinOgden, Zepharus, and anonuser!

Speaking of calibration...I've always wanted to buy a calibration tool, now might be a good time...Can anyone recommend me a decent calibration tool that won't totally break the bank?

Last edited:
Can anyone with the 34 incher try out Diablo 3 for me and chime in on what it does with this display?

Got the monitor..fired up elder scrolls....and..im disappointed...The black levels are bad. Really bad...in the corners its like the black is greyish..Now..I dont have anyting to calibrate it. I just turned the brightness down...please please help me...What can I do to fix this? Im coming from a 1440p Achieva Monitor..

This could be the IPS glow in the corners...

Did a little testing with this GTX 780 in Mechwarrior Online and with this monitor with max settings using I was able to use over 3GB of video mem. Now of course the FPS was too low to be playable, about 30-40 FPS. Still amazing to see such high usage. Makes me wonder if I should get the 6GB version because I am planning on getting a second 780 in the future. Battlefield 4 maxed will use about 2.8GB.

Overall though I am very happy with my purchase, it was such an upgrade over the Westinghouse 37in and well worth the wait.

Did a little testing with this GTX 780 in Mechwarrior Online and with this monitor with max settings using I was able to use over 3GB of video mem. Now of course the FPS was too low to be playable, about 30-40 FPS. Still amazing to see such high usage. Makes me wonder if I should get the 6GB version because I am planning on getting a second 780 in the future. Battlefield 4 maxed will use about 2.8GB.

Overall though I am very happy with my purchase, it was such an upgrade over the Westinghouse 37in and well worth the wait.

Upgrade for Westinghouse 37" for me too... ;)

Can anyone with the 34 incher try out Diablo 3 for me and chime in on what it does with this display?

If you play fullscreen, you don't get full resolution (maxxes out at 2560x1440) -- but you can play windowless fullscreen and get the full glory. A little annoying for tabbing between apps on Win7 (as it remains in the background, rather than the desktop, as you alt-tab around), but it's fine. Gameplay itself is even more immersive.

Back