You can now see how much you've spent over the life of your Steam account

Looks like I'm around $6500, although I probably end up using CDKeys for roughly 1/3 of my Steam purchases.
Which would make that amount artificially low o.0

Why did they even do this lol? Seems like a bit of a reality check. I just scrolled through my list to see what games I wish I refunded while within the window, and there are definitely a few. COD MW2 was the worst money I've spent on a game recently but in 2021 I made plenty of bad purchasing decisions: Terminator Resistance, Back 4 Blood, AOE4, Psychonauts 2, Death Stranding, Rage 2, MK11.. < 20 hours total in those alone. I know some of those games were well received but for me none of them clicked, should've been refunded in my case. Aside from that I wish I at least waited for a sale on Hogwarts Legacy, Dead Space remake, and Resident Evil 3 remake.

I only have 296 games with the $6k+ spent, but I've skipped over all the absolute bangers that I've spent countless hours in. I made up kind of a rule of thumb for me in terms of $/time spent to justify game purchases, which is 1$/hr, and I'm well within that metric overall. All in all I don't regret any of it it one bit, I should be more selective and patient, but I'm happy to contribute to the gaming industry.

TotalSpend 1579.54 USD
OldSpend 1132.21 USD

190 games (80 Retail), 487 DLC, I almost completely stopped buying games on steam after the flash sale fiasco.

Screenshot_20230810-085143.png

Not sure how long most people have been on Steam, but I don't think $5-10K over the course of 15-20 years is that wild. Especially because 95% (maybe higher) of those games are still playable today with whatever hardware you're rocking. In many cases, with vastly better graphics. You can always compare that to the people that would have 50-100 NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. games that are locked down to the specific hardware from one 3-6 year console generation.

Not sure how long most people have been on Steam, but I don't think $5-10K over the course of 15-20 years is that wild. Especially because 95% (maybe higher) of those games are still playable today with whatever hardware you're rocking. In many cases, with vastly better graphics. You can always compare that to the people that would have 50-100 NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. games that are locked down to the specific hardware from one 3-6 year console generation.
I think 5K / year on videogames is pretty wild. That's spending almost $15 every single day, all year.

I think 5K / year on videogames is pretty wild. That's spending almost $15 every single day, all year.

$5K every year, sure. I'm thinking $5K-10K over the course of 15-20 years though. That's a drop in the bucket.

$5K every year, sure. I'm thinking $5K-10K over the course of 15-20 years though. That's a drop in the bucket.
2K a year is still more than I've spent in total in 20 years on steam, and I feel some guilt even over that.

2K a year is still more than I've spent in total in 20 years on steam, and I feel some guilt even over that.
$5,000-10,000 a year over 15-20 years is $300-700 a year, not $2,000 a year. Even my total spend of $24,592 over 19 years doesn't reach $2K a year. That's $3/day, or 4.5 minutes of my current salary.

Reactions: w35t
like this
$5,000-10,000 a year over 15-20 years is $300-700 a year, not $2,000 a year. Even my total spend of $24,592 over 19 years doesn't reach $2K a year. That's $3/day, or 4.5 minutes of my current salary.
I really need a vacation because I can't even do simple math anymore.

1691776253050.png

1691776286065.png

Really not too bad for 18 years / 389 games, especially considering ~$400 is a steam deck.

That's roughly $222 a year. High ROI for the entertainment value if you ask me.

I often buy games on offer, then don´t have time to play them. Then a new game comes along that seems interesting, I buy it to see and then have no time to play. A bad circle and its creating a huge backlog. I comfort myself now that Armenius is 3 times worse then me buying games on Steam. :p
steam spend.png

IMG_1152.jpeg

IMG_1153.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg

Not as bad as I expected, but still surprised me at first. There’s a Steam Deck top model in that as well.

Also damn, guess I made my Steam account only 10 days after Steam launched.

Not sure why everyone is adding the oldspend to the total.

I'm only at $800!

Yeah the way I read it I thought they were sep (old was pre-2015 spend - total spend 2015+after spend) - but if not then I like it even better 👍

Back