Winter Olympics in VR Thanks to Eurosport

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
DUDE! Curling in VR on February 12th! Mixed doubles too! In all seriousness, Eurosport is broadcasting much of the Winter Olympics in a VR format that will be available to damn near anyone with a smartphone. This is almost certainly a big portion of how VR will intersect sports in our future. Below is a schedule of the live events on local Korean time. (South Korea is 15 hours ahead of Central Time - ie 11:13 AM Tuesday, Central Time (CT) is 2:13 AM Wednesday, South Korea (GMT+9)) There will be a highlights airing the following day as well. If you are not familiar, this sort of tech can give you a "ringside" seat.

There is a VR FAQ here that should answer all your questions. You can grab the app here for Android.

Check out the schedule.

The goal of our VR app is to give you a taste of what it’s like at the Winter Olympics with both 360° and 180° video. For live events, you will have the freedom to choose your camera angle to see the action from your favorite point of view or lean back and watch the director’s cut by selecting “VRCast.” Our app also gives you schedules, leaderboards, and medal counts to stay up to date on the standings for the world’s greatest athletic pursuits.

What content will I see in the App? - You will be able to enjoy both live and VOD immersive content for 30 events at the Olympics, including the Opening and Closing Ceremonies

...curling?...

EXTREME CLOSE UP!

whoooaaaa!

Crank up the AC in the house and you'll feel like you're right there on that ice with those brooms... *Brush brush brush brush*
My body is ready.

IMG_20180130_121032.jpg

The fuck is the iOS VR option? Everything else lists the appropriate semi-proprietary headset (daydream, Samsung Gear) what does Apple use?

Anyways not fussed with this. Tried the google daydream with a Pixel and it’s neat but meh. If I could watch with my PSVR I’d be more interested.

Brings armchair sports to a new level. Actually only part of the Olympics I like are the ski-shoot (Biathlon) and figure skating (so sue me). But not sure what VR would really bring to the experience. Well maybe when head sets are lighter and more comfortable (not cardboard though). I do have a 3d TV, but I guess nobody shoots for those anymore.

Slolom, ski jump, or even the ceremonies could be interesting in VR. Plant a camera next to the cauldron, in the villages, etc just to take in the scenery could be awesome. Inside one of those curling stones though...

The fuck is the iOS VR option? Everything else lists the appropriate semi-proprietary headset (daydream, Samsung Gear) what does Apple use?

Anyways not fussed with this. Tried the google daydream with a Pixel and it’s neat but meh. If I could watch with my PSVR I’d be more interested.

cardboard players work with iOS. I've owned 3 myself.. my favourite is this one:

https://www.gearbest.com/vr-headset/pp_424846.html

Back