Windows 8.1 To Let You Shut Down Directly From Start Screen

so the funny thing about this is that the way you said you want to do it involves clicking on the start button (*using a mouse*) whereas me, heatlesssun, Golden Tiger, et al just use the windows button + W (or Q or F depending on what you want to search) to search settings.

meant to say start button.

the hilarious thing to me is that before windows 8, you moved your mouse to the bottom left corner, clicked a button, and then selected your shutdown/reboot/sleep option.

In windows 8, you move to the top right, which is apparently so blasphemous, that people can't be bothered to even look at it.

People hate change. You should know this.

lol did it again.

Windows Key. There. Got it right.

But really that should have been apparent since i said the mouse should not be involved.
it's not involved unless you want it to be involved so your concern is moot

This is my shortcut, I press the power button on my PC once and windows figures out: "Oh! I should shut down now, ok, let's shut down"

There's even options on what you want your power button to do, hibernate or something else. It amazes me that people still think this damages anything on the PC, other than wear and tear on the power button.

I dont understand peoples hate on Windows 8, father just got a new PC with it on it and tbh for old people its easier to use with the nice buttons on the screen. I just wish there was a drive icon on the right bar instead of searching for it, other then that i liked it...even detected his old ass printer and other stuff without installing any driver discs as well.

Looks like this is microsofts new strategy: Do whatever the fuck they want, then reverse/backpedal on SOME things, just like the xbox one removed all of the family/10 person digital sharing and is still kinnected, but removed some DRM.

Fans are going crazy now!

so, tldr:

1) do what u want
2) reverse SOME things (not metro/kinnected)
3) fans thank you and buy your shit
4)profit

I dont understand peoples hate on Windows 8, father just got a new PC with it on it and tbh for old people its easier to use with the nice buttons on the screen. I just wish there was a drive icon on the right bar instead of searching for it, other then that i liked it...even detected his old ass printer and other stuff without installing any driver discs as well.

The under-the-hood improvements in Win8 are great! Don't get me wrong.
But I spend most of my day working on Windows machines. And I absolutely HATE the Metro/Modern UI. And the "hot" area functionality you need to bring some of the things up absolutely BLOWS in remote control sessions (flaky, inconsistent function).

If I could get all the improvements in Win8 with an honest-to-BillGates Win7-style UI? I'd be happier than a puppy with two peters.

Looks like this is microsofts new strategy: Do whatever the fuck they want, then reverse/backpedal on SOME things, just like the xbox one removed all of the family/10 person digital sharing and is still kinnected, but removed some DRM.

That does seem to be the case, and is why I hate Microsoft as much as I've long hated Apple these days. They give you whatever features they think we want, and then ignore all customer input. "You'll take what we give you and you'll LIKE IT" - Microsoft.

I used to buy their software.

Yes, I know they don't care either way. I'm still going to do the right thing as a consumer - support companies who support their customers.

They arent impressive, I dont like either of their latest products or their attitude.
Thinking about it, I only know 1 person who has Windows 8, nobody else cares for it.

Xbox 1 eighty
Windows 8.1 eighty.

Huh? Not sure what's going on there....:D

I wish people had convinced them to do the same with the ever-terrible Ribbon in Office. Want to implement it? Fine... give us the option to use the real menus instead.

This is why I hate Microsoft.. they don't give options. They force you to use their latest GIMMICK. They don't care, even slightly, what we as consumers want/think.

The Ribbon didn't have a '1' or a 'One' they could append '-eighty' or '80' to, respectively.

Windows 7 and windows 8 already have this feature. see classic shell on sourceforge. Someone had to do microsoft's job - they sure the hell didn't.

Why didn't they simply put a Shutdown button on the right hand of the screen? It'd make more sense than hitting the Start button to shutdown the system.

Why are you assuming that everyone would automatically know this?
I have end users to support that have a hard time finding the power button, yet they are suppose to understand/remember how to swip the right side of the screen to turn off thier system?

I also assume you haven't tried to do this swipe remotely, especially when you're 2 levels deep into remote desktop.

You mean these same people are here on [H]? That explains a lot...

Seriously, though. Win+i = no need for swipes of any kind. You can't do that remotely?

I have a shutdown button in the very first column of my start screen. It's not hard to do a quick google search to find the script to add to a new start screen link.

But even with that considered, I still end up just using the charms bar shutdown method, simply because it's more natural after having already acclimatized to this OS.

Wait, since when was this an issue? Desktop altf4 or physical button press to initiate shutdown for the win anyway. More fodder for silly trolls I guess....

This arrogance is astounding. Trying to rationalize the lack of a software control thats been there for decades tips your hand as an apologist.

Some people have their case located somewhere out of the way, under a desk, behind a monitor, where its not necessarily convenient. Some people are elderly or disabled and reaching for it is not convenient either. Most end users don't know WTF ALT-F4 is.

Again, the arrogance is astounding.

This arrogance is astounding. Trying to rationalize the lack of a software control thats been there for decades tips your hand as an apologist.

The GUI control never went anywhere, some people just didn't like where it was. Now there are two different built in ways. Choice.

Zip over Windows 7. Its change for the sake of trying to make their Phone/Tablet OS more familiar in hopes of selling more. the reality is that they've deprived Windows 7 of at least one if not two service packs. Which would have shrunk any 'under the hood' performance gap. Inconvenieced the hell out of users. And then charged them for it.

Hasn't that always been microsoft's standard business model?

I recently installed Win8 on a VM session. It's all we thought it would be. I will say it is very lean and optimized. I'm not sure I like the "squareness" of it compared to the glass-effect of Aero. Oh, and I pulled my hair out until I installed start8.

The advantages of the start-menu for desktop are very apparent. They use this same metro interface on the Server 2012 gui. It's annoying.

To launch an admin tool ..
- Hover mouse over bottom corner
- Click "Start Screen" button
- Look for tool, not there .. click administrative tools
- Browse that and click what you want.

Old way:
- Click Start Button
- Hover over Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
- Click the tool you want.
pin it to the start screen. That's the point!

if you keep trying to use W8 as if it were older windows, of course it's not going to be the same. It's different!

Anybody can create a shutdown button for Windows 8 by following these easy steps.

1) From the desktop, create a shortcut
2) Specifies the following "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0" as target/location
3) Select a relevant icon from the provided list
4) Press ok

I keep forgetting this is a "problem" as I've never used the software shortcut, at least not in the past 5-6 years anyways.

I know. Using this old, stupid and ignorant operating systems like W7, I usually just slam my penis against the keyboard to get where I need to be because that's the way us cavemen work.

First change I made to windows 8 was to change the default for playing music from metro to media player. I could not believe I click on a MP3 file and it takes me to a full page to show a song title. I was wondering who would have thought that was a good idea? I had just installed Windows 8 on a new Haswell build and wanted a little music as I reinstalled programs. So I hunted to find the control panel to associate mp3's quickly to media player so I could get real work done and pc loaded as I wanted.

So while Windows 8 is usable in desktop mode the metro idea sucks if you have to leave a functioning environment if you play a song for a full page of nothing but a song title. Pure BS and needs to change.

A hint I found on day 2 to make windows 8 easier, as locating 4 hard drives was a pain. Right click an open area click on personalize, then on change icons and you can add the computer icon and control panel to your desktop windows.

With that change I didn't install classic shell yet as I can do what I need with that change, but the old start menu would be nice to have back.

Calebe

I know. Using this old, stupid and ignorant operating systems like W7, I usually just slam my penis against the keyboard to get where I need to be because that's the way us cavemen work.

I'd hate to be your keyboard.

Been playing with Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview for as much time as I could spare since last night. This is a very big release, way more than any service pack I can think of, even XP SP2. There is some slick stuff here, pretty buggy though, but then this isn't 8.1 either. Multitasking with Metro apps has improved a lot. Moving, launching and resizing apps is in some of ways much better than desktop, it much more automatic and great for side by side work and docking things on the edges of multiple monitors. Not perfect and there's obviously bugs to be worked out plus many apps will need so rework to handle resizing properly but it does go a long way to addressing a fundamental problem with Metro on desktops and larger screens. The Search Hero is intriguing, it's essentially a Metro search app hooked into local content and Bing with hooks into other Metro apps. Very consumer focused but powerful and cool to have docked.

From what I've seen in 2012 R2 I don't know how much 8.1 is going to quiet classic desktop users that hate Metro. Certainly the disjoint is still there when mixing the desktop with Metro but Metro itself is much better on the desktop. People who just want the desktop and hate Metro will still stick with 7 or whatever else they are using but there's enough being bought to Metro to probably get more people interested.

As usual, Microsoft refuses to listen to their customers, most people wanted a Start menu, not some Start Screen that takes up the entire screen which is more confusing and time consuming. And of course, Microsoft refuses to listen, not even surprised by their behaviour and what they are doing anymore.

Anybody can create a shutdown button for Windows 8 by following these easy steps.

1) From the desktop, create a shortcut
2) Specifies the following "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0" as target/location
3) Select a relevant icon from the provided list
4) Press ok

The very fact this needed to be suggested shows there was a serious problem.

Here's how you get it.
Start Screen
WinKey + Q
Scroll if necessary to right.
Right-Click My Computer
or go through Control Panel Performance.

Right-click the lower left corner of your screen (even at the Desktop), hit System, then Performance Information and Tools.

Done.

Alternatively you can hit WinKey, type "performance" and chose Settings from the right side.

Done.

I just created a shortcut to shutdown... one click and done... no start screen to be seen

also, after typing in password when logging in, hold down enter key and you won't see even a glimpse of the start screen... I know this is hard but "we shall overcome"

So you would have no problem if you had to re-learn how to drive a car because the manufacture decided to start using pedals to steer and a hand rotary control for the gas?

You're being dramatic. It's more like buying a new car and finding the center console different from your previous car, or finding the shifter behind the wheel instead of on the console. Or the door lock being in a different location, or the windsheild wiper switch being on the other side of the steering wheel.

you take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with new cars, just as you take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with new computers and new hardware.

I just created a shortcut to shutdown... one click and done... no start screen to be seen

or just hit the power button on your computer. You can go into power option and make the power button do whatever you want it to do - sleep, hibernate and shut down.

Back