Windows 7/8 Product Key to install Windows 10 workaround - possibly no longer

I've been using Mint for years and really don't like Windows anymore. I still keep a Windows box around for a couple of programs I need that are Windows only but most of the time it just sits and collects dust. The more you get to know Mint the more you like it.

Of course they finally put down the old activation servers right after I'm about to build my next PC. So sad. All my Windows 7s, useless. (Actually I wanted to keep a couple of licenses for semi-retro gaming use.)

Gonna have to figure out how to use Massgrave.

Of course they finally put down the old activation servers right after I'm about to build my next PC. So sad. All my Windows 7s, useless. (Actually I wanted to keep a couple of licenses for semi-retro gaming use.)

Gonna have to figure out how to use Massgrave.

Easy Peazy.

also, i found that 11 edu completely ignores the tpm requirements.
this still seems to be working, i just loaded our edu key w11 onto an i5-6300U based system. the ones on w10 say they are not eligible for upgrading to w11 but i can do a fresh install...
7/8 keys still seem to be working for me too, if i feed them to the installer without internet access. once im at the desktop and connect them they are still activating just fine...

1705605930552.png

Last edited:
7/8 keys are still working fine(must be offline) BUT i did finally run into the network needed crap to complete setup, on pro, edu still bypasses it...

this still seems to be working, i just loaded our edu key w11 onto an i5-6300U based system. the ones on w10 say they are not eligible for upgrading to w11 but i can do a fresh install...
7/8 keys still seem to be working for me too, if i feed them to the installer without internet access. once im at the desktop and connect them they are still activating just fine...

View attachment 628335

7/8 keys are still working fine(must be offline) BUT i did finally run into the network needed crap to complete setup, on pro, edu still bypasses it...

Hey, This helped me out a lot, I did a bios (UEFI) update on my gigabyte MB for the "LogoFAIL" vulnerability patch, and windows deactivated (saying Hardware had changed? never seen a bios update to that? but whatever.) It had been activated using a win 7 key and with the machine on line it just told me to buy a new copy, However disconnecting from internet allowed me to enter the key and then it subsequently gave me the option of a hardware change (which it hadn't before) after which it activated again fine... So glad I decided to read through the beginning and end of this thread, was about to buy a new key... Cheers.

Back