Windows 11 24H2 to enforce HW requirement

M76

[H]F Junkie
The next major version of Windows 11, 24H2 coming this fall will enforce one of the previously arbitrary HW requirements. Rendering the OS incompatible with systems lacking an SEE4.2 or SEE4a capable CPU.

Article: https://winaero.com/popcnt-cpu-windows-11-24h2-pc-doesnt-boot/

It is unclear to me whether systems running such CPUs will remain locked in to 23H2, or the update still installs rendering the system unbootable.

So if you previously installed W11 using one of the methods to bypass the HW requirements such as TPM 2.0, then you might wanna check if your CPU supports one of the mentioned instruction sets.

It is unclear to me whether systems running such CPUs will remain locked in to 23H2, or the update still installs rendering the system unbootable.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it still installed and then failed to boot. I encountered that a few years ago when Windows 7 updates started enforcing SSE2 (?) despite allowing processors without it prior to that.

rumors based on a reddit post. come on man...
It's not really a rumor. It's fact that Windows 11 builds > 25905 and newer don't boot because of the lack of POPCNT instructions and that Reddit thread shows the Linux command to find the files that require it.

Ultimately I think this isn't anything to worry about. If you're rocking a 15+ year old CPU you should probably be running Linux on it anyway.

It is still a jerk move. If you stayed on Win10 then you would continue to get security updates. If you upgraded to MS' new toy like you "expected to" you have painted yourself into a cover requiring a reinstall.

between this and the non major release deprecation of WMR, it makes me wonder what MSFT is doing. Killing features and hardware support in minor revisions really does your consumer a disservice. They should wait until windows 12 to do these things for consumer clarity.

Reactions: uOpt
like this
It is still a jerk move. If you stayed on Win10 then you would continue to get security updates. If you upgraded to MS' new toy like you "expected to" you have painted yourself into a cover requiring a reinstall.
These CPUs often weren't even supported on Windows 10...

Looking from a broader view and not from a Microsoft perspective, I think it's perfectly acceptable for ANY OS to come out in 2024 and require CPU instruction sets that have been out since 2007/2008. I think if you're still using an E8400 or something you shouldn't be running Windows 11 anyway. While M$ does scummy moves, this isn't exactly one of them.

between this and the non major release deprecation of WMR, it makes me wonder what MSFT is doing. Killing features and hardware support in minor revisions really does your consumer a disservice. They should wait until windows 12 to do these things for consumer clarity.
Apparently 24H2 is the "Windows 12" update to Windows 11. There isn't going to be a distinct major release.

Apparently 24H2 is the "Windows 12" update to Windows 11. There isn't going to be a distinct major release.

Ah, that way they can trick everyone into installing their floating task bar and Copilot AI garbage and then justify ending support on any version that doesn't have it because "it's still Windows 11".

You have to love the evil that is Microsoft.

Last edited:
Ah, that way they can trick everyone into installing their floating task bar an Copilot AI garbage and then justify ending support on any version that doesn't have it because "it's still Windows 11".

You have to love the evil that is Microsoft.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this is their strategy after the discourse that happened when they initially revealed the intention of integrating Copilot into Windows 12. I have to wonder how many people are actually using it right now. As in, interacting with it on a regular basis vs. not disabling it.

The difference being if they calls this update "Windows 12", then you woul have contiued security updates for win 11.

This way there is no :"fork" into a branch that gets updates.

In other words, it's a non-issue. A kick in the ass to upgrade people's 18+ year old processor is needed at this point if they're still running them.
I was worried that my low power server running a J4125 might be in trouble, but it supports SSE4.2

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this is their strategy after the discourse that happened when they initially revealed the intention of integrating Copilot into Windows 12. I have to wonder how many people are actually using it right now. As in, interacting with it on a regular basis vs. not disabling it.

For me floating task bar and Copilot are a deal breaker.

If I cannot completely disable them (as opposed to having them just run in the background unused) that's it for Windows for me. Win11 23H2 will be the last Windows I use.

If I can disable these new unwanted "features" and prevent them from running (not just hide them while having them run in the background) then I might just continue using it.

It doesn't even have to be W11, on one of the W10 machines at work copilot just appeared mysteriously. And I couldn't even figure out on the spot how to get rid of it.

I was worried that my low power server running a J4125 might be in trouble, but it supports SSE4.2

When I saw the title, I was concerned my testbench machine (Dual Socket Ivy Bridge E5-2697 v2, 12C24T each, for a total of 24C/48T) was going to be impacted. It still has a Win 10 partition for the rare occurrence I actually need to test something in Windows (which is rare enough that every time I boot it I have a TON of Windows updates).

But it looks like it will live another day. (albeit with hacks to get Win11 to run on unsupported CPU's without TPM, once Win10 goes EOL, because you never run an EOL OS.)

1708017228367.png

It doesn't even have to be W11, on one of the W10 machines at work copilot just appeared mysteriously. And I couldn't even figure out on the spot how to get rid of it.

Where did it appear?

I saw it appear on a side bar on Edge on a Win10 machine, but that is fine, as I never launch Edge. (it drives me up a wall with all of its side bars and bloat always popping up out of nowhere, and even when you disable them they come back next update)

I have yet to see Co-pilot appear anywhere in any of my Windows machines, 10 or 11 outside of Edge.

These CPUs often weren't even supported on Windows 10...

Looking from a broader view and not from a Microsoft perspective, I think it's perfectly acceptable for ANY OS to come out in 2024 and require CPU instruction sets that have been out since 2007/2008. I think if you're still using an E8400 or something you shouldn't be running Windows 11 anyway. While M$ does scummy moves, this isn't exactly one of them.
Windows 11 is a 2021 OS, not 2024, even if these CPUs are ancient, changing HW requirements in an update should be a no-no. If the precedent is set they might alter the deal further later.

Eh I'm not so sure of that, from what I gather you shouldnt even have been able to install it and get told as such that your hardware isn't up to snuff. In order to have the OS installed you would have had to bypass the checks in someway, i.e. you know the hardware isn't compatible, and to use some internet vernacular are now butthurt that you may not be able to still use it.

Well, that's bullshit. I haven't seen it yet. If it shows up on mine and I can't find a way to get rid of it (like uninstall the goddamn binaries, not just hide it) I'll be livid.

Do you usually install the "feature preview' updates in Windows Update? I wonder if that is where it comes from.

Well, that's bullshit. I haven't seen it yet. If it shows up on mine and I can't find a way to get rid of it (like uninstall the goddamn binaries, not just hide it) I'll be livid.

Do you usually install the "feature preview' updates in Windows Update? I wonder if that is where it comes from.
Hello, this is Bing. I can help you with uninstalling Copilot from your Windows 11 PC. Copilot is a built-in feature of Windows 11 that uses artificial intelligence to assist you with various tasks, such as summarizing web pages, generating content, creating graphic art, performing actions, customizing settings, and more. However, if you do not want to use Copilot, you can disable or remove it using different methods.

The easiest way to disable Copilot is to hide it from the taskbar. To do this, right-click on the Copilot icon in the taskbar and uncheck the option ‘Show Copilot button’. This will remove the Copilot button from the taskbar, but you can still access Copilot by pressing the Windows + C shortcut key.

If you want to completely remove Copilot from your system, you will need to use either the Group Policy Editor or the Registry Editor. These methods are more advanced and require caution, as they can affect your system settings and performance. Before you proceed, make sure you back up your registry or create a restore point in case something goes wrong.

To remove Copilot using the Group Policy Editor, you will need to have Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions. The Group Policy Editor is a tool that allows you to configure various policies and settings for your computer and user accounts. To access the Group Policy Editor, type gpedit.msc in the Start menu or the Run command and hit Enter. Then, navigate to the following folder using the left panel: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot. On the right-side pane, double-click on the policy ‘Turn off Windows Copilot’ and select ‘Enabled’. Then, click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’. This will disable Copilot entirely and remove it from the Settings app as well.

To remove Copilot using the Registry Editor, you can use any edition of Windows 11. The Registry Editor is a tool that allows you to view and modify the registry, which is a database that stores information about your system and applications. To access the Registry Editor, type regedit in the Start menu or the Run command and hit Enter. Then, navigate to the following key using the left panel: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. On the right-side pane, right-click on an empty space and select ‘New > DWORD (32-bit) Value’. Name it ‘ShowCopilotButton’ and set its value data to 0. Then, click ‘OK’. This will hide the Copilot button from the taskbar and disable its functionality.

I hope this helps you with uninstalling Copilot from your Windows 11 PC. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. 😊

People react and ask stuff that a simple windows + C asking it would have gave them a quick answer a lot it seem to me.

It is such a nice free tools they give us, the reaction to it is a bit mind-boggling. If you never click on windows+C, what does it do ? What removing it do ?

In other words, it's a non-issue. A kick in the ass to upgrade people's 18+ year old processor is needed at this point if they're still running them.
Don't be dissin my SR2 and her Xeon's...actually, her Xeons have the SEE4.2 instructions, so, she's likely ok.

People react and ask stuff that a simple windows + C asking it would have gave them a quick answer a lot it seem to me.

It is such a nice free tools they give us, the reaction to it is a bit mind-boggling. If you never click on windows+C, what does it do ? What removing it do ?
We’ve started using it here for a good number of things and it’s doing a fair job. I like that it doesn’t train on private data, so things in SharePoint or OneDrive that have the correct permission sets applied don’t get transmitted for training.

The prerequisite checklist Microsoft gave us before we could enable it for our 365 accounts actually went a good ways towards improving our overall security structure.

I don't trust MS simple as that. I don't know how much of my data it accesses, and what it does with that data. I'm not against AI, I'm against it being integrated at the OS level. I want my AI in it's nice little sandbox where the only information it has access to is what I explicitly feed it. And I don't want it reporting back on what I use it for, how I use it, and especially not what I use as prompts.
thats your search box, so yeah it integrated there. turn if off if you dont want it.
I know it's the search box, what is your point? Someone might still want to use search, but without copilot.

Looks like they're going the route of Apple's planned obsolescence nonsense.

I wouldn't put it beyond them, but anything newer than a Core or Core 2 on the Intel side should still work, and anything newer than a pre-Phenom Athlon on the AMD side should still work, and most of these really old CPU's were already not supported due to missing other features, such as the NX bit.

These CPU's whould probably have been retired long ago anyway. I don't think there is any unsupported CPU made after ~2007-2008 some time. That was over 15 years ago now. It would be like running this 1985 PC in 2000...

1708024948126.png

I'm honestly more concerned with other planned obsolescence issues like not officially supporting any CPU's not on this list or newer in Windows 11, which excludes lots of reasonably modern and powerful CPU's from official support. Yes, you can hack your way around it, but no guarantees it works smoothly...

I wouldn't put it beyond them, but anything newer than a Core or Core 2 on the Intel side should still work
?

I'm honestly more concerned with other planned obsolescence issues like not officially supporting any CPU's not on this list or newer in Windows 11, which excludes lots of reasonably modern and powerful CPU's from official support. Yes, you can hack your way around it, but no guarantees it works smoothly...
This is what I was referring to. They cut off a LOT of perfectly capable CPUs.

I don't trust MS simple as that. I don't know how much of my data it accesses, and what it does with that data. I'm not against AI, I'm against it being integrated at the OS level. I want my AI in it's nice little sandbox where the only information it has access to is what I explicitly feed it. And I don't want it reporting back on what I use it for, how I use it, and especially not what I use as prompts.
Do you think Microsoft Windows need the windows Copilot to be installed to access your data in what way does it change anything in that regard ? I get not liking the fact that what you type in that window goes to a server and back to you (say because you think it help AI advancement and you do not want LLM type AI to ever get too good).

I mean what uninstalling it do versus never using it ?

Do you think Microsoft Windows need the windows Copilot to be installed to access your data in what way does it change anything in that regard ? I get not liking the fact that what you type in that window goes to a server and back to you (say because you think it help AI advancement and you do not want LLM type AI to ever get too good).
Windows obviously has access to the data, but it runs locally and has no reason to send user data anywhere. Copilot is a damned good excuse for them to send my data to some server for "processing". And it might report back even if I don't use it.

It's not that I don't want AI to improve, but not at the cost of my privacy.
I mean what uninstalling it do versus never using it ?

What does not run, is not able to collect data. It might still listen and learn even if I'm not using it. Like google assistant.

Article said:
The instruction was introduced in the mid-2000s in AMD processors and the first generation Intel Core. On processors released earlier, 24H2 will not run. It is worth noting that on newer processors, which are nevertheless not officially supported, existing workarounds will continue to work.
Huge nothingburger. But it's not going to work on your Cyrix P120 or Intel Pentium 4 or AMD K6 Athlon slot processors.

Back