Windows 10 vs Ubuntu on GTX 2080ti

Not uncommon, when it comes to outright performance Linux is faster than Windows, quite often by a fairly sizeable amount. This simply highlights slight differences in porting, titles are still competitive in relation to Windows though.

The current DOTA performance is disappointing though. A year back or so DOTA was running faster on Linux with NV hardware... it seems the windows drivers have got a bump or something. :) lol Still runs great anyway. I wouldn't want to blame Valve... but. lol :)

The current DOTA performance is disappointing though. A year back or so DOTA was running faster on Linux with NV hardware... it seems the windows drivers have got a bump or something. :) lol Still runs great anyway. I wouldn't want to blame Valve... but. lol :)

These particular gaming benchmarks are beyond pointless with a 2080 Ti even at 4k for both Linux and Windows so there's really nothing to be disappointed about other than the benchmarks themselves.

These particular gaming benchmarks are beyond pointless with a 2080 Ti even at 4k for both Linux and Windows so there's really nothing to be disappointed about other than the benchmarks themselves.

Sometimes you really go over and above to prove your lack of knowledge. lol

https://www.chaosgroup.com/

V-Ray is one of the best and most popular rendering plugins in the world. I mean hell Chaos won a technical Oscar for V-Ray in 2017.

As for DOTA ya we get it, you don't care... its not making the pixels sweet enough for you. I don't disagree that most mid range cards and up can handle DOTA at 4k. Its still nice to see what the bump is for the 2080ti. Cause like it or not DOTA has 10x more people playing it right then any of the Heatle approved windows gaming benchmarks of the day. (1000x times more are playing DOTA right now as will be playing any of the heatle benchy games in 6 months).

Companies using V-Ray are in general not using sub standard non-ecc running gaming cards. However I would say that collection of benches would be quite interesting to students and the like that often cheap out (that isn't too fair few students can really afford real workstation class cards) with gaming class cards... and use them for a bit of gaming as well.

Sometimes you really go over and above to prove your lack of knowledge. lol

Holly shit Batman! Portal coming in at over 600 FPS at 4k is beyond meaningless. Not ONE pro review of this kind of hardware is using something this fucking useless. Get a grip.

Holly shit Batman! Portal coming in at over 600 FPS at 4k is beyond meaningless.
I mean really why did you even bother posting in this thread ? lol Just so you could come in and try and make some stupid point about Liunx gaming. This wasn't a gaming review... it wasn't a 2080ti gaming review. It was a simple initial lets see what this 2080ti can do one some stuff already on his machine. Its clear you didn't even read past the first page and had no idea what the numbers on the last one where referencing. lol

Give it a rest, and give it up MS employee 176231.

Yes its nice to know if the 2080ti is any faster then the 1080ti in regards to V-Ray performance.

It is 20% faster good to know..... and the 2080ti is 10% faster running under Linux vs Windows, also good to know. (everyone that uses it for anything already knows that)

The fact that he benched a few games that Linux people tend to mess around with on their workstations... who cares. And why do you take such offense. lol

For the record.... V-Ray sells plenty of hardware. I am sort of surprised V-ray and other popular render benches aren't easier to find.
https://www.chaosgroup.com/news/v-ray-wins-academy-award

I mean really why did you even bother posting in this thread ?

Maybe because I bought two 2080 Ti FEs and no one who bought them gives a fuck about Portal hitting 600 FPS with that card, both Windows and Linux. I didn't say jack shit about Linux, these benchmarks when it comes to gaming are fucking pointless.

No one bought a fucking $1200 GPU to run Portal at 600 FPS. Stop being silly when shit is obvious.

Maybe because I bought two 2080 Ti FEs and no one who bought them gives a fuck about Portal hitting 600 FPS with that card, both Windows and Linux. I didn't say jack shit about Linux, these benchmarks when it comes to gaming are fucking pointless.

No one bought a fucking $1200 GPU to run Portal at 600 FPS. Stop being silly when shit is obvious.

So you base what games you enjoy on how much they make your GPU Cry. Good to know. Your not a retro gamer type. Cool. lol have a good night heatle.

So you base what games you enjoy on how much they make your GPU Cry. Good to know. Your not a retro gamer type. Cool. lol have a good night heatle.

Again, no one bought a $1200 GPU to run Portal at 600 FPS, well beyond any monitor tech to render. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

Again, no one bought a $1200 GPU to run Portal at 600 FPS, well beyond any monitor tech to render. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

From Micheals own review;
"When running the very basic Portal game by today's standards, the OpenGL performance was faster on Windows 10 by about 10% for the RTX 2080 Ti -- granted, the game was already running at hundreds of frames per second so not entirely relevant for gamers."

Learn to read. He wasn't testing game performance as much as driver performance. Including an older game to test if Nvidia "optimization" effects older generation stuff equally is perfectly valid.

Know your audience healtle... a lot of people reading phoronix are hard core Linux people not hard core gamers. This article is about levels of support equality... not really if X or Y is a few FPS faster. The question he was trying to answer was the quality of the Linux driver vs the windows driver. Seems to me his article proves the NV Linux driver is very consistent. There was no case of the Linux driver really falling short... outside of gaming I expected it would be well optimized for something like V-Ray.

Also read what your posting about;
Again from the article;
"This article is intended to deliver some basic Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux benchmarks for the new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti high-end Turing graphics card and then the mature GeForce GTX 1060 and GTX 1080 Ti graphics cards to see if there is any disparity in the support between generations and/or operating systems."

Portal performance is well known and should be rock solid on any driver. He was looking to see if anything varied. He was testing to see if Nvidia was being Nvidia and tweaking things for the newer everyone benches this games. Your constant poo pooing of anything with the words "game" and "Linux" in it before even reading is tiresome. :yawn:

Last edited:
Know your audience healtle... a lot of people reading phoronix are hard core Linux people not hard core gamers.

Ok, so there's a $1200 GPU in these tests that many say is far too expensive to be worth it, having nothing to do with the OS people are running, showing framerates so high as to be meaningless even by the author's admission.

Damn you like to drag out the obvious. No one that bought a $1200 GPU or is considering one give a shit about 600 FPS in Portal.

Ok, so there's a $1200 GPU in these tests that many say is far too expensive to be worth it, having nothing to do with the OS people are running, showing framerates so high as to be meaningless even by the author's admission.

Damn you like to drag out the obvious.

Learn to read.

No one spending $1200 on a GPU give a shit about 600 FPS in Portal. I obviously read a lot more about the 2080 TI than you did.

Yes you are the uber Guru of the 2000 NV cards. Your pretty much honorary design team... I hope they shipped you a hat with your cards.

The article
1) isn't about gaming and gaming alone
2) is testing how the Linux DRIVER compares to the Windows DRIVER.

He is testing the software driver... and seeing if there are any issues with the BETA Linux release driver.

You don't test that by running the 5 games Nvidia tells you the shiny ones to use. He was looking for regressions... it would have been interesting if the delta was different for the older OpenGL title. It wasn't the numbers where consistent with the other titles.

People using Linux ARE going to buy the 2080ti heatle... the same people that bought Titans and 1080tis for things like V-Ray Octane Renderman and other Linux rendering engines.

As I said the gamer cards are not idea... and most companies won't put one in a workstation. Still a lot of people and even smaller companies do go the gamer card route... you do loose the ECC memory and often more stable pro drivers. However the performance of the gaming cards can be quite good if your comparing them to lower end workstation cards.

People using Linux ARE going to buy the 2080ti heatle…

Sure, to run Portal at 600 FPS. It's like this review of the 2080 Ti is the only one you've ever read. And it's just hilarious how you and others went on and on and on about the pricing of the 2080 Ti and then say Linux folks are going to buy them. To run Portal at 600 FPS.

No one spending this kind of money on a gaming GPU is going to run it full time under Linux for gaming. That would be more pointless than 600 FPS in Portal.

Last edited:
Sure, to run Portal at 600 FPS. It's like this review of the 2080 Ti is the only one you've ever read. And it's just hilarious how you and others went on and on and on about the pricing of the 2080 Ti and then say Linux folks are going to buy them. To run Portal at 600 FPS.

No one spending this kind of money on a gaming GPU is going to run it full time under Linux for gaming. That would be more pointless than 600 FPS in Portal.

You really have an issue with English it seems. If your English comes from EASL classes. Well sorry.

No I clearly said a lot of 2080tis and potential 2000 series titan cards will end up in Budget workstations.

I know you don't believe it but there is more in the computing world then just games.

This wasn't a test of portal it was a test of Nvidias drivers. Micheal knows his audience. One thing that keeps a lot of budget Workstation types away from the latest greatest gaming cards... is that the drivers are often full of regressions and holes. You can't run the workstation class drivers the software (such as V-Ray which was tested) calls for... so you want to know that the gaming cards you are spending 1200 bucks on to save thousands over the workstation version isn't going to cause you a ton of headaches with shoddy gamer drivers.

Get over yourself for even one second and consider not everyone buys things for the same reason as you.

I talked to a research dude the other day that has been following the turing cards as they have tensor cores. His concern is that Nvidia is going to do something in their driver to lock out their general use. We'll see.... those tensor cores have a lot of usefulness to scientific Linux types. The fact that Nvidia basically took their volta cards... gave the Tensor SFU (Special function unit) a new marketing name "RT Core" lol is interesting to folks that where paying thousands for voltas. I suspect NV will make the use of those for anything outside of gaming painful or impossible... but we'll see I imagine that story will take some time to unfold.

Um, the Windows machine was 4GHz 2x8GB, while the Linux machine was 5GHz but 1x16GB apparently. Who benchmarks like that???

EDIT: the machine is IDENTICAL there's only one box here, it's just that his windows and linux stuff collects the stats differently. Now why he can't just adjust the chart so that's clear ... strange decision.

Um, the Windows machine was 4GHz 2x8GB, while the Linux machine was 5GHz but 1x16GB apparently. Who benchmarks like that???

EDIT: the machine is IDENTICAL there's only one box here, it's just that his windows and linux stuff collects the stats differently. Now why he can't just adjust the chart so that's clear ... strange decision.

These just aren't useful benchmarks for people looking at this hardware. Not really sure what's so hard to understand about that when it obvious.

Get over yourself for even one second and consider not everyone buys things for the same reason as you.

Take your own advice and learn to read. I said no one is going to buy a $1200 gaming GPU and run it exclusively under Linux for gaming. That's fucking pointless.

Go away. Seriously, this is a Linux thread. Windows users have no problem sooking over and reporting Linux users in their threads - Go away if you have nothing meaningful to add to the conversation.

Go away. Seriously, this is a Linux thread. Windows users have no problem sooking over and reporting Linux users in their threads - Go away if you have nothing meaningful to add to the conversation.

It's also a 2080 Ti thread and none of you attacking me bought one let alone two. If you had you'd look at 600 FPS in Portal and say it's pointless as well. Because for $1200 it is.

That is actually very misleading, even the way the specs relating to the different setups is presented is underhanded. Good job picking that up, I've got a good mind to contact the author and ask WTF?

[EDIT] Someone picked up the irregularities in the Phoronix forums where it was confirmed that both setups are identical, it's the operating systems misreporting the specifications. Both are running at 5Ghz with an identical 16GB of RAM.

Last edited:
It's also a 2080 Ti thread and none of you attacking me bought one let alone two. If you had you'd look at 600 FPS in Portal and say it's pointless as well. Because for $1200 it is.

No.

It's a Linux thread in the Linux subforum and when it comes to 'anything' you are biased beyond all reasonable belief. The fact that you bought two 'gofastwasteofdollars' does not make you an expert on anything.

No.

It's a Linux thread in the Linux subforum and when it comes to 'anything' you are biased beyond all reasonable belief. The fact that you bought two 'gofastwasteofdollars' does not make you an expert on anything.

Windows 10 is the first damn thing in the thread title, you're being ridiculous. And why you guys have a problem acknowledging that no one is going to buy a $1200 gaming GPU to run Portal at 600 FPS is beyond baffling.

Windows 10 is the first damn thing in the thread title, you're being ridiculous. And why you guys have a problem acknowledging that no one is going to buy a $1200 gaming GPU to run Portal at 600 FPS is beyond baffling.

This is a sub forum where Linux users can discuss their platform, all you want is a shitstorm argument where you refuse to accept that you're massively generalizing and your point of view is horribly incorrect regarding everything - Just like your laughable comment that no Linux user is going to run a 2080Ti, there's absolutely no evidence to back that up with the exception of your own ridiculous point of view.

Go away.

Holly shit! We're talking about a damned $1200 gaming GPU that like none of you are even considering buying. You can talk about generalizations all you want, when if comes to $1200 gaming GPUs that's VERY SPECIFIC.

The fact I'm not considering buying it has got nothing to do with my choice of operating system. Go away.

And choice of OS was NOTHING I WAS TALIKING ABOUT. LEARN TO READ. No one spending $1200 on a gaming GPU gives a shit about 600 FPS in Portal.

You've made your point, doesn't change the fact that choice of OS has nothing at all to do with deciding to buy an overpriced waste of money GPU, go away.

LOL! So you have no interest in the hardware this thread is about while I clearly do and you have nothing but nonsense to counter with? These benchmarks are USELSSS from a gaming perspective, Windows and Linux. I have no idea why you have such a hair up your ass about obvious shit.

Who said I don't have interest in the hardware in this thread? See, another generalization. You just can't help it and you refuse at accept criticism over it.

I have interest in the hardware contained within this thread, however I will not buy the hardware in question. The fact that I will not buy the hardware in question has nothing to do with the operating system I'm running, but I am very interested in Linux and gaming as well as cuda performance. The point of the linked article was not to benchmark gaming specifically, hence the reason for very simplistic gaming banchmark comparisons. This is what you are failing to understand.

Keep Calm 2.png

Agreed. If all you do all day is play portal WTF would you even buy a 1070.

This thread is about an article comparing Win10 and Ubuntu beta drivers, the author used an older game to see if the driver had any oddities in relation to older OpenGL code. That is it.

Get over yourself. Dude I play with hardware all day long that would make your little silly gaming machine look like an abacus. It also is completely irrelevant to anything. lol

PS Sorry Kyle I promise I'm off now.

Back