WiFi 7 isn't supported on Windows 10

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
https://wccftech.com/wi-fi-7-not-supported-by-windows-10-only-works-with-windows-11-linux-chromeos/

I love articles like this, they do a great job of shifting the narrative.

TLDR; Qualcomm and MediaTek aren't developing drivers for their WiFi 7 modules for Windows 10, and Microsoft isn't creating a generic certified one either.

Personally, I am not sure who would be purchasing a new device with new hardware and then trying to downgrade to Windows 10, and I don't know many people who would go through the trouble of replacing the WiFi module in their existing Win 10 devices to a WiFi 7 one, so I am sure driver support for it isn't exactly something that is in demand.

It looks like this is just based on some vague document where only Windows 11 was listed. Based on that, they made a bunch of assumptions and wrote a click-bait article to collect some ad revenue. Nothing specficically says that Windows 10 wouldn't be supported. More likely, they didn't feel the need to include every version of each OS in that document. When you take into account that Windows 10 and 11 use basically identical drivers in most cases, i'd say that there is still a very good chance that it will work on Windows 10 just fine.

Intel-WIFI-7-Windows-OS-Support.jpeg

https://wccftech.com/wi-fi-7-not-supported-by-windows-10-only-works-with-windows-11-linux-chromeos/

I love articles like this, they do a great job of shifting the narrative.

TLDR; Qualcomm and MediaTek aren't developing drivers for their WiFi 7 modules for Windows 10, and Microsoft isn't creating a generic certified one either.

Personally, I am not sure who would be purchasing a new device with new hardware and then trying to downgrade to Windows 10, and I don't know many people who would go through the trouble of replacing the WiFi module in their existing Win 10 devices to a WiFi 7 one, so I am sure driver support for it isn't exactly something that is in demand.
There will be plenty of silly people, actually. 10 is another one of those Windows releases that the "angry tech-nerds who don't understand things that well" have decided is good and that 11 is bad. People like that want to stick with their old OS, yet want to use new hardware. It is silly, but it happens all the time where they get stuck on an OS, declare it to be the only good Windows release and just flat refuse to upgrade until finally it becomes unavoidable. Then they'll glom on to the new release and the cycle will repeat.

There will be plenty of silly people, actually. 10 is another one of those Windows releases that the "angry tech-nerds who don't understand things that well" have decided is good and that 11 is bad. People like that want to stick with their old OS, yet want to use new hardware. It is silly, but it happens all the time where they get stuck on an OS, declare it to be the only good Windows release and just flat refuse to upgrade until finally it becomes unavoidable. Then they'll glom on to the new release and the cycle will repeat.
Maybe, but by the time we actually see the WiFi 7 hardware, we are probably in the first few months of 2025 and it's likely being launched alongside Intel Gen 14 in the new lineup of laptops there. Gen 13 is already iffy on Win 10, and all the Win 10 holdouts I know are very vocal about their "I'll move to Linux before I use Windows 11" stance so...
And by then AMD will have their Zen 5 stuff out with a new chipset and Win 10 extended support is all but over by that stage so questionable support options there as well.

The point is the article was framing it as Microsoft being mean and trying to force users to upgrade, when there is nothing stopping Qualcomm, Broadcom, MediaTek, or any of the others from making Windows 10 drivers, they just don't want to.

Maybe, but by the time we actually see the WiFi 7 hardware, we are probably in the first few months of 2025 and it's likely being launched alongside Intel Gen 14 in the new lineup of laptops there. Gen 13 is already iffy on Win 10, and all the Win 10 holdouts I know are very vocal about their "I'll move to Linux before I use Windows 11" stance so...
And by then AMD will have their Zen 5 stuff out with a new chipset and Win 10 extended support is all but over by that stage so questionable support options there as well.
They won't. The "I'll move to Linux" people who actually will, already have. The people who complain and threaten aren't going to, it is like the people who "boycott" an MMO by standing around in game and shouting. They aren't REALLY gonna do anything. I'm sure a few will try and they'll discover that, oh wait, Linux is NOT this amazing perfect utopia, that it has it's own issues and annoyances and its own learning curve and the big one: That gaming isn't as easy on it. Then they'll go back to Windows. I mean the kind of people who pop a cork about the start menu button moving or the look of an OS having a minor change are not going to take well to the different UX of GDM3, or the totally different command set of bash.

It is also funny how stuck people can be. We recently had an argument with a researcher at work, he ordered a new 13th gen system, and wanted 10 on it. Lots of back and forth and stupidity about it, his final argument was that the software he was using wasn't supported on 11. True enough, it didn't list 11 since it hadn't been updated in like 6 years... but what do you know when we tried it, it ran flawlessly. He still argued, until we told him that all Windows 10 systems will be going off the network when support ends in 2025. He decided he could live with 11 then.

The point is the article was framing it as Microsoft being mean and trying to force users to upgrade, when there is nothing stopping Qualcomm, Broadcom, MediaTek, or any of the others from making Windows 10 drivers, they just don't want to.
I agree, this crap happens all the time. I remember back when Vista came out some doink wrote an article claiming that Vista's DRM prevented full duplex audio (playback and recording at the same time) at full resolution. This was hilarious to me since, at the time I was reading it, I was taking a break from using Cakewalk Sonar which was happily doing full duplex multi-channel audio. The reality was, of course, the old-ass integrated soundchip he had didn't have good Vista drivers so it didn't work right, a supported sound chip worked fine. But none the less that's how the article was written and it was cited all over the net, here included, as gospel truth.

They won't. The "I'll move to Linux" people who actually will, already have. The people who complain and threaten aren't going to, it is like the people who "boycott" an MMO by standing around in game and shouting. They aren't REALLY gonna do anything. I'm sure a few will try and they'll discover that, oh wait, Linux is NOT this amazing perfect utopia, that it has it's own issues and annoyances and its own learning curve and the big one: That gaming isn't as easy on it. Then they'll go back to Windows. I mean the kind of people who pop a cork about the start menu button moving or the look of an OS having a minor change are not going to take well to the different UX of GDM3, or the totally different command set of bash.

It is also funny how stuck people can be. We recently had an argument with a researcher at work, he ordered a new 13th gen system, and wanted 10 on it. Lots of back and forth and stupidity about it, his final argument was that the software he was using wasn't supported on 11. True enough, it didn't list 11 since it hadn't been updated in like 6 years... but what do you know when we tried it, it ran flawlessly. He still argued, until we told him that all Windows 10 systems will be going off the network when support ends in 2025. He decided he could live with 11 then.

I agree, this crap happens all the time. I remember back when Vista came out some doink wrote an article claiming that Vista's DRM prevented full duplex audio (playback and recording at the same time) at full resolution. This was hilarious to me since, at the time I was reading it, I was taking a break from using Cakewalk Sonar which was happily doing full duplex multi-channel audio. The reality was, of course, the old-ass integrated soundchip he had didn't have good Vista drivers so it didn't work right, a supported sound chip worked fine. But none the less that's how the article was written and it was cited all over the net, here included, as gospel truth.
Vista was a different animal, at the 13’th hour Microsoft closed direct kernel access and forced vendors to use the API.
The story is HP or Creative or somebody pissed off Balmer and he said something like Fuck it force them too! And they closed off Kernel access and some legacy XP/2000 stuff between the final beta and the gold and only told them after it was done and at that stage a month or so before the actual launch date. So lots of vendors said well fuck it we aren’t writing new drivers for those products.

If we won't see the hardware until 2025, then there absolutely is no reason to provide a driver for Windows 10. Windows 10 reaches end of support status in October 2025.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro
1692904230425.png

This is just pretty comical. Nvidia for example, doesn't even provide separate drivers for Windows 10 and 11. That's the case for most hardware. In most cases, even 64-bit Vista drivers will work on Windows 11; which gives you an idea of just how good driver interoperability is among OS versions since Vista. 99% chance that whatever driver they release for Windows 11 would work on Windows 10 (64-bit).

Another gem of misinformation from the click-bait article:
Users still run into major issues when upgrading their systems from older copies of Windows and most of the time, your older OS license won't guarantee you a legitimate copy of the newer OS. So while it's clear that software & hardware vendors want to focus on newer platforms, it still sucks that a large majority of users will be left out.

I don't think that i've ever encountered a 64-bit system running Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 that couldn't be upgraded to 11. Free OS upgrades have been standard practice for a very long time now. You don't even have to install the older OS, you can just input a Windows 7 key when installing Windows 11 and it will work. So for them to say "most of the time, your older OS license won't guarantee you a legitimate copy of the newer OS" shows that they either have no idea what they are talking about or are being deliberatly misleading for click-bait reasons.

This is just pretty comical. Nvidia for example, doesn't even provide separate drivers for Windows 10 and 11. That's the case for most hardware. In most cases, even 64-bit Vista drivers will work on Windows 11; which gives you an idea of just how good driver interoperability is among OS versions since Vista. 99% chance that whatever driver they release for Windows 11 would work on Windows 10 (64-bit).

Another gem of misinformation from the click-bait article:

I don't think that i've ever encountered a 64-bit system running Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 that couldn't be upgraded to 11. Free OS upgrades have been standard practice for a very long time now. You don't even have to install the older OS, you can just input a Windows 7 key when installing Windows 11 and it will work. So for them to say "most of the time, your older OS license won't guarantee you a legitimate copy of the newer OS" shows that they either have no idea what they are talking about or are being deliberatly misleading for click-bait reasons.
It's wccftech, can't expect much more than rumor mongering sadly.

If we won't see the hardware until 2025, then there absolutely is no reason to provide a driver for Windows 10. Windows 10 reaches end of support status in October 2025.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro
View attachment 593040
But it's the last windows version they said! This is especially going to be fun with the artificial restrictions put on W11 with CPU support and TPM. There will still be a ton of devices in use by 2025 that are "incompatible" with windows 11.

Again, this isn't a problem for Linux.
Tell that to my REHL 5 instances, they are just a problem for everything.
And I can not express how much of a pain in the ass Broadcom Linux drivers have been for me over the years, my default fix for them is to rip them out and replace them with an Intel Wireless chip... works every time.

That gaming isn't as easy on it.
About that. I literally just this week got a non-Steam game working through Steam and Proton on an Alder Lake mini PC. The worst part of the process was that the instructions were slightly outdated. It probably helped that the game (Guild Wars 2) is Platinum on ProtonDB.

Having said that, it wasn't "just install, like on Windows."

I wonder how many hospitals still have XP systems running....
XP systems that are being used as terminals, or XP systems that work exclusively as the interface for a specific piece of hardware?
I mean a portable X-ray machine that uses an integrated XP machine as its interface is different than one sitting at a nursing station that's used for dealing with patient data.
If it doesn't have a network connection then I would say it doesn't count...

Laughs in active 95 install...

Reactions: M76
like this
Tell that to my REHL 5 instances, they are just a problem for everything.
And I can not express how much of a pain in the ass Broadcom Linux drivers have been for me over the years, my default fix for them is to rip them out and replace them with an Intel Wireless chip... works every time.
I still haven't seen this kind of problem for nearly a decade. You're running a server OS so you may run into other problems, but is broadcom also an issue for Windows?

I never really understand this whole OS hate/love thing.

I have owned and used every win version from 3.1 to 11. (excluding 2000/nt variants)

They all have their good points and are all functional/usable. I get there are changes (OH MY GAWD SOMETHING CHANGED its the end of the world, hell and damnation time) and I didnt like all of them myself. Dropping Dolby support which XP/Vista had going to Win 7 irritated me, as an example, the now sainted win 7 along with 8, 10, and 11 all work and if it isnt your favorite flavor of candy cool, we all have our likes but really? Not in my house? So if your friends kid has an ROG Ally or side loaded 11 into a steam deck your gona toss them out? Ban them from your home? Not on my network I dont care what game you want to play?

My current work provided laptop (for doing work only) has Win 10, next year when I get my every 3 year upgrade it will no doubt come with 11, would someone really refuse an upgrade over it?

I personally haven’t had an issue with Windows until 10. Because since then it has had unremovable telemetry and forced updates.

I don’t like, want, or need Microsoft spying on me for any reason.
And there have been numerous updates that have broken functionality and essentially forced the user base to be beta testers.

Windows hasn’t been a good OS for a long while. It’s just been the only viable one for people that want to play games. However it was at least tolerable for that purpose. It’s much harder for me to say that now.

When Win 11 came out I understood that I couldn't put the taskbar on the left side of the screen (been doing that for years) and that I could no longer have custom toolbars (another feature I've been using for years). You can count my as 'silly' but the only way I'll be running Win 11 is with Open Shell and ExplorerPatcher to bring back the taskbar I like and a Start Menu with no adds/recomendations.

Another issue with 11 is that I've got 10+ active computer systems in my house and only 2 are supported by Win 11. This is actually going to make me migrate all those systems to Linux once Win 10 goes EOL. My main system was migrated to Linux after the Win 8 debacle and I only run Win 10/11 in a VM for games that won't work under Linux, TruboTax and Affinity Photo. Oh, and one financial site that only functions correctly with Edge!

The pool is closed due to stingrays and diabeetus.

When Win 11 came out I understood that I couldn't put the taskbar on the left side of the screen (been doing that for years) and that I could no longer have custom toolbars (another feature I've been using for years). You can count my as 'silly' but the only way I'll be running Win 11 is with Open Shell and ExplorerPatcher to bring back the taskbar I like and a Start Menu with no adds/recomendations.

Another issue with 11 is that I've got 10+ active computer systems in my house and only 2 are supported by Win 11. This is actually going to make me migrate all those systems to Linux once Win 10 goes EOL. My main system was migrated to Linux after the Win 8 debacle and I only run Win 10/11 in a VM for games that won't work under Linux, TruboTax and Affinity Photo. Oh, and one financial site that only functions correctly with Edge!
I'm sorry but it IS silly. For one, as you noted, you can customize it if you want, personally I do so using Start 11. For two Linux is EVEN MORE DIFFERENT than the minor thing you are complaining about. Not trying to talk you out of using Linux if you want it but saying "I hate Windows 11 because they made a minor change to the user interface so I won't upgrade, but I will go to a different platform with a completely different UX, command set, file structure, device interface, etc, etc!" is extremely silly. You are both acting like you can't adapt to a minor change, but that a major change is no big deal. That means either:

1) You are lying to yourself about being able to deal with a major change. The "I'll change to Linux" thing is just petty clamoring and you will discover you can't handle the change, and just change back. Given that you already have a Linux system I suspect that isn't the case.

2) The change isn't really that big a deal, it is something you are perfectly capable of adapting to, you are just complaining about it to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Either way, it is silly. I'm not going to dump on people who want to use Linux for other reasons like no cost, familiarity with a POSIX interface, general preference, etc, etc. I will dump on people who act like a minor change in Windows is somehow a step too far and something they can't handle, but a major change to Linux is ezpz.

I'm sorry but it IS silly. For one, as you noted, you can customize it if you want, personally I do so using Start 11. For two Linux is EVEN MORE DIFFERENT than the minor thing you are complaining about. Not trying to talk you out of using Linux if you want it but saying "I hate Windows 11 because they made a minor change to the user interface so I won't upgrade, but I will go to a different platform with a completely different UX, command set, file structure, device interface, etc, etc!" is extremely silly. You are both acting like you can't adapt to a minor change, but that a major change is no big deal. That means either:

1) You are lying to yourself about being able to deal with a major change. The "I'll change to Linux" thing is just petty clamoring and you will discover you can't handle the change, and just change back. Given that you already have a Linux system I suspect that isn't the case.

2) The change isn't really that big a deal, it is something you are perfectly capable of adapting to, you are just complaining about it to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Either way, it is silly. I'm not going to dump on people who want to use Linux for other reasons like no cost, familiarity with a POSIX interface, general preference, etc, etc. I will dump on people who act like a minor change in Windows is somehow a step too far and something they can't handle, but a major change to Linux is ezpz.
One should not need rely on third-party programs to perform customization of the OS like that, especially when it was possible in prior versions of NT kernel Windows.

One should not need rely on third-party programs to perform customization of the OS like that, especially when it was possible in prior versions of NT kernel Windows.
Ok, but one has to rely on 3rd party programs to even have a GUI, much less window management, in Linux. The whole design there is nothing but modular programs, the fundamental OS is just a kernel everything else is optional. Not that it is a bad way of doing things, has its own upsides and downsides, but this howling of "I hate Windows 11 and won't move to it because they made a minor change to the taskbar that I can easily undo if it really matters," is silly particularly if one then says "I'll move to Linux which is completely different and even with extensive customization can't work quite like Windows 10."

I don't mind criticizing Microsoft for making what you feel like are unnecessary or consumer unfriendly choices. That's very valid and they should be criticized. But acting as though it is something monumental that makes it unusable, particularly when the proposed alternative is an even BIGGER change is silly and is just making drama where there is none.

I have owned and used every win version from 3.1 to 11. (excluding 2000/nt variants)

They all have their good points and are all functional/usable. I get there are changes (OH MY GAWD SOMETHING CHANGED its the end of the world, hell and damnation time) and I didnt like all of them myself. Dropping Dolby support which XP/Vista had going to Win 7 irritated me, as an example, the now sainted win 7 along with 8, 10, and 11 all work and if it isnt your favorite flavor of candy cool, we all have our likes but really? Not in my house? So if your friends kid has an ROG Ally or side loaded 11 into a steam deck your gona toss them out? Ban them from your home? Not on my network I dont care what game you want to play?

My current work provided laptop (for doing work only) has Win 10, next year when I get my every 3 year upgrade it will no doubt come with 11, would someone really refuse an upgrade over it?
How dare someone have an opinion on something they use EVERYDAY.

I already changed to Linux for my daily computing needs (about 6 months after Win 8.0 was released). The majority of the applications I use are available on Windows and on Linux, so the switch was rather painless. With the exception of some games, TurboTax and Affinity Photo all my time is spent on Linux. The only reason I haven't updated all my 'other' computers is just the hassle factor, if they're all currently working why change them.

doh: I missed the "I suspect that isn't the case", sorry.

Last edited:
Looks at my Dell PowerEdge 6600 from 2004...
Just need one of these for the Wi-Fi 7 PCIe NICs and we are good. :cool:

Adapter.png

Vista was a different animal, at the 13’th hour Microsoft closed direct kernel access and forced vendors to use the API.
The story is HP or Creative or somebody pissed off Balmer and he said something like Fuck it force them too! And they closed off Kernel access and some legacy XP/2000 stuff between the final beta and the gold and only told them after it was done and at that stage a month or so before the actual launch date. So lots of vendors said well fuck it we aren’t writing new drivers for those products.
6b5.jpg

I remember this well in Q1 2007 when Vista debuted, and attempting to fix this all on our enterprise test lab... no 64-bit printer drivers, pre-fetching killing performance on single-core systems with much older HDDs, lack of AV software support, lack of general software support, and as an added bonus the growing pains of the ribbon in Office 2007. :hungover:
Needless to say we dropped all support for Vista and stuck with XP until 7 was released, thankfully.

Last edited:

View attachment 593533

View attachment 593539

I remember this well in Q1 2007 when Vista debuted, and attempting to fix this all on our enterprise test lab... no 64-bit printer drivers, pre-fetching killing performance on single-core systems with much older HDDs, lack of AV software support, lack of general software support, and as an added bonus the growing pains of the ribbon in Office 2007. :hungover:
Needless to say we dropped all support for Vista and stuck with XP until 7 was released, thankfully.

Yet 7 would not exist without Vista. Honestly, I call bullshit to the sudden fuck you closed kernel thing but it is not impossible, I suppose.

Last edited:
The problem is what the proprietary OS's limit what you can do. Hence WiFi 7 maybe not working on Windows 10.
Same here, except I've also used and owned 2000 and NT.
They all have their good points and are all functional/usable. I get there are changes (OH MY GAWD SOMETHING CHANGED its the end of the world, hell and damnation time) and I didnt like all of them myself. Dropping Dolby support which XP/Vista had going to Win 7 irritated me, as an example, the now sainted win 7 along with 8, 10, and 11 all work and if it isnt your favorite flavor of candy cool, we all have our likes but really? Not in my house?
At the time there were some good Windows OS's but as time went on they just got worse. Windows XP was amazing despite what people think of it today. This was an OS that had all the benefits of Windows 2000 and Windows Millennium Edition, plus it's compatible with everything in Windows 95-98 plus even some DOS stuff. It just worked. Windows Vista sucked for many reasons, but for me it was the crappy slow graphics and they removed hardware audio acceleration, which means a lot of people's sound cards just simply didn't work. Creative had a solution, but they charged for it with Creative ALchemy. This decision that Microsoft made had destroyed the sound card industry. Windows 7 was better but only because the drivers for Windows Vista had matured and Microsoft actually included a copy of Windows XP. Windows 8 was trash, including 8.1 which some people think it's a new OS entirely. Microsoft removed the Start Button and tried to force Desktop users to deal with a tablet like UI. Windows 10 was alright, but the problem was all the telemetry monitoring stuff that even if you disabled it, you will see it return without any warning. Windows 11 sucks because Microsoft decided to force everyone to use Secure Boot and TPM2.0, which turns Windows 11 into a DRM based OS.
So if your friends kid has an ROG Ally or side loaded 11 into a steam deck your gona toss them out? Ban them from your home? Not on my network I dont care what game you want to play?
I only toss out Apple users.
Most people who really hate Windows 11 would just reinstall Windows 10 on it. If this is a work computer then you don't have much of a choice what you run on it, unless the IT department doesn't load special software that requires you to log in.

After 8, Microsoft added uninstallable telemetry and forced updates to every OS. So if you have 10 already, you have agreed to being spied on. Have not heard of any reason to keep 10 over 11.

After 8, Microsoft added uninstallable telemetry and forced updates to every OS. So if you have 10 already, you have agreed to being spied on. Have not heard of any reason to keep 10 over 11.
If your computer can support Windows 11, chances are you might have been forced to Windows 11. If you intend to continue to use Windows then you might as well upgrade to Windows 11. Other than some annoying UI stuff like needing to use the registry to force back the Windows 10 Taskbar including the legacy right click menu which you can also get it back with the shift + right click. That and Microsoft constantly tries to trick you into making a Microsoft account instead of a local account. Windows 11 is just less power user friendly. If you intend to escape Microsoft's DRM based telemetry future then GNU/Linux is what you want. I'm the only guy that I know who plays games on Linux, and as some people have asked me and I've told them that there is no benefit to using Linux over Windows. For every one benefit there is on Linux, you will find three on Windows. Unlike Android vs iPhone where I can mathematically prove that Android is superior, I can't do the same for GNU/Linux. You will run into new hardware features not being supported on Linux for a while. AMD just announced a bunch of new stuff and the Linux guys are already wondering how we'll be able to use it, if at all. Certain programs may not work, like for a while Roblox didn't work due to Wine being banned but a fix had just been developed. But on Linux you won't find Microsoft able to spy on you, and force you to conform to their standards. Updating a Linux distro doesn't mean losing a power user UI feature like you see with Windows 11. You also don't need to update the Linux distro to get support for WiFi 7. As long as you can update the Linux kernel, you will get WiFi 7 support. Specifically all you need is kernel 6.4 or newer to get WiFi 7 support and drivers. It's just that easy.

View attachment 593533
Am I seeing this right? A Wi-FI NIC without connections for the antenna?

Also, it seems to have a slot extender. I wish more PCIE cards had slot extenders. My AMD x670E motherboard has only 2 x16 and 1, yes 1, x1 slot. I wish the mboard had at least 2 more X1 or at least one X4.

If those really bother you, you can shut them off with a registry key. Though I'd not both Android and iOS do the same thing so it is just kinda something you have to accept these days. That said, while I'm not a fan of telemetry, forced updates I like. People get themselves in to shit all the time with old systems that haven't been updated for years because "I don't need it," or "I know what I'm doing with computers." If we want better cybersecurity, we need devices to get patched fast, and that will only happen if you force it on people. Most users just ignore updates until it blows up in their face, and then complain that MS didn't defend them.

If we want better cybersecurity, we need devices to get patched fast, and that will only happen if you force it on people. Most users just ignore updates until it blows up in their face, and then complain that MS didn't defend them.
When I worked for various cypersecurity companies, sales guys used to say that corporate customers called only AFTER they got hacked badly.

Back