Why OLED for PC use?

All the people that complain about burn-in being a thing probably use OLED phones with static icons on it all day every day too, just don't crank the brightness and change the wallpaper every now and again and 99% of people will be fine.
People don't use their phones with static content and the screen on for long periods of time.

How are you guys getting burn in on your phones? I've had OLED phones since they first came out and never have had any.

Are you watching CNN on your phones?

People don't use their phones with static content and the screen on for long periods of time.
A friend's iPhone has the home screen bottom row burned into it.

For example, the green iMessage icon shows as a purple color (the less burned subpixel colors) when displaying a solid white background (e.g. Apple Notes or bright webpage).

They are direct RGB-OLED screens, capable of ~1000 nits when used outdoors. So they don't have the safety margin of the white subpixel used in WOLED, and the phones are driven much more brightly.

Last edited:
Yup both me and my wifes OLED phones had nasty burn in. Mine had the bottom taskbar tattooed at the bottom and the navigation boxes heavily burned into the screen. The entire screen had gone to shit. I retired the phone in less than 2 years. My wife's phone was nearly as bad as mine. I got myself a powerful Moto phone that is not OLED and I love it although I spoiled my wife with the S21 Ultra a while back just because she's used to Samsung and they don't have a non oled option and there is no choice really also she loves the amazing camera so that's that let's see how long it lasts her I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if it developed burn in about 1 to 2 years max but interested to see.

That just means again, LG made the right call in limiting the brightness for the sake of longevity instead of chasing brightness figures for use as a selling point. There's also not much point in giving consumers a choice of 150 nits cap vs higher on the LG since of course they will always opt for the higher spec. If you allowed a car to rev to 6800rpm vs 7400rpm of course people are always going to choose to rev it out to 7400rpm.
Sure, but if I'm evaluating it for my use I don't care, what I care about is how the burn-in is at the brightness level I run. I'm not saying there's no value in knowing how things work at max brightness, but also that users probably aren't running the displays at max brightness so that should be taken in to account when looking at the data for purchase.

I've been using my CX48 with ABSL turned off as a PC monitor (heavy daily use) for almost 3 years and have no burn in. I keep the OLED brightness setting at 20. I also use a black desktop background and dark mode for most applications.

Sure, but if I'm evaluating it for my use I don't care, what I care about is how the burn-in is at the brightness level I run. I'm not saying there's no value in knowing how things work at max brightness, but also that users probably aren't running the displays at max brightness so that should be taken in to account when looking at the data for purchase.

Some people might if they decide to do this lol: https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/...top-wallpaper-with-jxr-files-and-hdr-support/

I'm kidding of course, no OLED owner would ever do that. Now you are combining 700+ nits with static elements. Heck I just tried it on my 32M2V and now the desktop was quite eye searing and uncomfortable to look at.

I've been using my CX48 with ABSL turned off as a PC monitor (heavy daily use) for almost 3 years and have no burn in. I keep the OLED brightness setting at 20. I also use a black desktop background and dark mode for most applications.
Good to hear. I'm using Oled Light 0 for my work machine + 120Hz BFI High and it still seems too bright for me sometimes when a white screen comes up. However, I often forget how dim this room is.

(I just turned off "Home Auto Launch", after hearing that was a thing, to make the apps stop displaying at start up. Cool.)

Some people might if they decide to do this lol: https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/...top-wallpaper-with-jxr-files-and-hdr-support/

I'm kidding of course, no OLED owner would ever do that. Now you are combining 700+ nits with static elements. Heck I just tried it on my 32M2V and now the desktop was quite eye searing and uncomfortable to look at.
You know, on the one hand I suppose I have to give MS credit for supporting it... but on the other hand like you said: Who the heck would want to do that?

Well I took a gamble at BB and got the Corsair 27" unit when it went to $849. Its definitely going back, it has horrible vertical banding (searches say it might go away some after 100+ hours, I don't care) and a stuck pixel right smack in the middle of the screen.

My camera can only see the stripes on the worst 5% gray, but my eyes can see it on everything except white. Its a pretty harsh gradient.

IMG_1063.jpeg IMG_1058.jpeg IMG_1060.jpeg

Boo - I was somewhat interested in the screen. That sucks.

Try again for a better sample? It looks like though it's dimmer, it has better color accuracy for SDR.

As far as brightness goes, here are my settings on my daily driver side screens.

PXL_20230823_003028798~2.jpg

And here on my main center screen.

PXL_20230823_003220172.jpg

Yeah,

I don't consider brightness to be the end all of anything, or even one of the more important specs on my screens.

At the brightness levels some of you have been talking about I'd burn out my eyeballs.

So, for daily desktop use we are talking ~18% of 300nits, or ~54 nits. That's really all I need. More than that and it starts getting uncomfortable to look at rather fast, before transitioning to actual pain in even very short periods of looking at the screen.

I recently switched out my side screens to some old Dell U2412M's, and their peak 300 not brightness is so painful thy are unusable to me at those settings, especially with white windows on screen.

For them to be usable I have to turn down the color temp to about 5700K and then turn down brightest to about 18% and contrast to about 70%.

And yes, I know general desktop use is not HDR and HDR is different, but still!

Last edited:
So, for daily desktop use we are talking ~18% of 300nits, or ~54 nits. That's really all I need. More than that and it starts getting uncomfortable to look at rather fast, before transitioning to actual pain in even very short periods of looking at the screen.
Just an FYI those things are often not linear percentages. So, it may not actually be 18%, it might be more like 80-100nits. Even when listed as a percentage, I've seen it not be, particularly since 0 is usually not 0.

...that said after going to check on my own display to give you its settings, since I have measured its brightness it is at 115 nits, 19% brightness and has a max of 600 nits... so ya it actually is about right. So it can be on some, but it isn't necessarily :D

Well I took a gamble at BB and got the Corsair 27" unit when it went to $849. Its definitely going back, it has horrible vertical banding (searches say it might go away some after 100+ hours, I don't care) and a stuck pixel right smack in the middle of the screen.
That is abnormal. I'd exchange the unit for another unit at Best Buy.

Just an FYI those things are often not linear percentages. So, it may not actually be 18%, it might be more like 80-100nits. Even when listed as a percentage, I've seen it not be, particularly since 0 is usually not 0.

...that said after going to check on my own display to give you its settings, since I have measured its brightness it is at 115 nits, 19% brightness and has a max of 600 nits... so ya it actually is about right. So it can be on some, but it isn't necessarily :D
Yea I think 54 nits is very low even in a dark room. Well it might be fine for reading black on white text and stuff like that but I'm guessing he's in fact in the good old (and preferrable) 80-120 nits range :)

My camera can only see the stripes on the worst 5% gray, but my eyes can see it on everything except white. Its a pretty harsh gradient.

View attachment 592448 View attachment 592449 View attachment 592450
After living with 3 OLED displays at this point I can say that this is not normal. The vertical banding was never that bad on any of my OLED displays out of the box. And I have no idea what is going on with those fingerprint-like patterns.

After living with 3 OLED displays at this point I can say that this is not normal. The vertical banding was never that bad on any of my OLED displays out of the box. And I have no idea what is going on with those fingerprint-like patterns.

The fingerprint thign is just my phones camera struggling to focus (iphone big ass camera unironically only works at like 12+ inches away) it was just a dead pixel in the center. It doesn't look like that to the eye, just a normal white screen. The vertical patterns are apparently way more common than I thought, TVs and monitors all can have them, its a manufacturing defect. Only cell phones don't get it because of the tiny screen size.

Your display at 18% is about 160 nits if we follow the measured levels from tftcentral, even at 0% is almost 100 nits lol

View: https://i.imgur.com/fiV2ivl.png

That is kind of weird, because at 0 nits, it is literally completely black. Can't even see the on screen controls.

Must be different firmware revisions or something.
if you can't even see the screen controls at 0%, or you have a faulty panel or you have an extremely bright light focused on your screen.

https://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/ASUS_ROG_Strix_XG438Q-BrightnessContrast.jpg

all reviews of that monitor show the same, around 90 nits at 0%, and no manufacturer makes a display where you can't see the display controls even at 0%

all reviews of that monitor show the same, around 90 nits at 0%, and no manufacturer makes a display where you can't see the display controls even at 0%
Well... the local dimming backlight of the Asus PG32uqxR does *not* react to the OSD. So when you show a fullscreen black image and then open the OSD the corresponding zones will not light up.

There's an increase of OLEDs being used for PC use (whether it be an OLED TV or the ever increasing availability of OLED monitors). But isn't burn-in a concern? Those using LG OLED TVs as PC monitors, have you experienced burn-in? Do you do anything "special" to prevent burn-in or just use it as it was any other monitor?

Looks like I'm joining the club.

I was a dumbass and was working on one of those pop-out Dell monitor stands on my desk. I slipped and the thing fell full with those two top metal prongs stabbing straight into my Asus XG438Q.

PXL_20231009_012103017.jpg

It doesn't LOOK all that bad, but the panel is essentially destroyed.

Placed an order to pick up my 42" LG C3 at Best Buy tomorrow.

Because I mostly work on this machine (probably an average of 9 hours of work with static windows per day, and maybe 2 hours of games every other day) I was concerned about burn-in, so I decided to add their 5 year Geek Squad protection plan.

Let's see how this goes.

I had hoped to upgrade for better HDR and blacks at some point, but I had been putting it off (for years) because of burn-in concerns.

if you can't even see the screen controls at 0%, or you have a faulty panel or you have an extremely bright light focused on your screen.

https://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/ASUS_ROG_Strix_XG438Q-BrightnessContrast.jpg

Looks like you were right.

I remember doing this test before, and the screen dimmed all the way to black, but it must have been a different monitor. I can't remember now. Could have sworn it was this one.

How are you guys getting burn in on your phones? I've had OLED phones since they first came out and never have had any.

I drive trucks for a living. Long periods of time using navigation. There are tons of people that tune in to their favorite content on the go on their phone. Outdoors, bright screen, heavy use which alot of happens to have static images on it.
Screen burn on oled phones is a massive issue. If u want a good high end phone for heavy use bright screen you have no options.

Only OLED phone I ever got burn-in on was my old Motorola Droid Turbo from 2014.

I got Waze but Ed into that screen app from daily driving around with it in my car on max brightness so I could see it through my sunglasses on a sunny day.

I haven't really changed my habits at all, and I have had many smartphones with OMES screens since then, but I have never again had any burn-in.

Not sure if the Droid Turbo's screen was just unusually bad in that regard or something else was going on, but those have been my experiences.

I drive trucks for a living. Long periods of time using navigation. There are tons of people that tune in to their favorite content on the go on their phone. Outdoors, bright screen, heavy use which alot of happens to have static images on it.
Screen burn on oled phones is a massive issue. If u want a good high end phone for heavy use bright screen you have no options.
I have to do 15-17 hour drive about 4 times a year for family. Don't you have a screen that just uses Android Auto/Carplay? Why would the phone screen itself be on for that entire time? Having a truck/car with CarPlay for me is pretty much the only 'feature' purchase that I require for my daily driver. I wouldn't buy one without it.

I have to do 15-17 hour drive about 4 times a year for family. Don't you have a screen that just uses Android Auto/Carplay? Why would the phone screen itself be on for that entire time? Having a truck/car with CarPlay for me is pretty much the only 'feature' purchase that I require for my daily driver. I wouldn't buy one without it.
Before Car Play/Android Auto was a thing you had to use your phone. Before your phone was a thing you had a Garmin/TomTom and before Garmin/TomTom units were a thing you printed out directions from Map Quest. My guess is his truck isn't equipped with CarPlay/Android Auto

Don't you have a screen that just uses Android Auto/Carplay?
Would that be surprising.... what percentage of commercial trucks on the road would have some android auto-carplay screen ? Big screen phone/tablet being so cheap and everywhere, changing truck just for that would sound nuts.

Would that be surprising.... what percentage of commercial trucks on the road would have some android auto-carplay screen ? Big screen phone/tablet being so cheap and everywhere, changing truck just for that would sound nuts.
None - But that's sort of my point. Every company I know is using cameras now and will yell at you for having a phone out, full stop. The truck itself already has a GPS/route device that is permitted.

So unless he's private or just driving some ratted out old truck doing like grain delivery in the middle of nowhere - No driver working for a big long haul company can use a phone while driving anyways.

None - But that's sort of my point. Every company I know is using cameras now and will yell at you for having a phone out, full stop. The truck itself already has a GPS/route device that is permitted.

So unless he's private or just driving some ratted out old truck doing like grain delivery in the middle of nowhere - No driver working for a big long haul company can use a phone while driving anyways.
You sure about that? While not truck drivers, every uber/lyft driver iv'e seen use their phone exclusively.

With all that said, a new truck isn't necessary to achieve carplay, one can simply buy a head unit which are pretty affordable.

You sure about that? While not truck drivers, every uber/lyft driver iv'e seen use their phone exclusively.

With all that said, a new truck isn't necessary to achieve carplay, one can simply buy a head unit which are pretty affordable.
Uber/Lyft is completely different. They don't operate under CDL rules, etc.

I have an old car. I tried setting up one of my old phones as a permanent nav/infotainment system using WiFi and a hotspot on my current phone. But it didn't work well for some reason. You probably could do it though and use some old LCD phone or tablet.

Before Car Play/Android Auto was a thing you had to use your phone. Before your phone was a thing you had a Garmin/TomTom and before Garmin/TomTom units were a thing you printed out directions from Map Quest. My guess is his truck isn't equipped with CarPlay/Android Auto

People don't realize how long lifespans are on professional vehicles like truck tractors.

Once you spend the crazy money for one of those things, the incentive is there to make them last.

That and when shopping for professional vehicles, luxury/comfort features like Android Auto / Apple Car Play aren't exactly a priority.

So, I just got the 42" LG C3 set up.

If I am going to be 100% honest, right now I am concerned I may have made a mistake.

I can tell it is going to be awesome in games and video content, but I also do desktop productivity work on this machine 9 hours a day, and for that purpose I am really kind of struggling to get it set up right.

Font quality is bad, but I knew that was going to be the case due to the RWBG layout, and I can live with it.

The issue I have with it is the brightness /contrast settings, which are essentially the same issues I always have with HDR screens.

Whites windows/icons are eye scorchingly bright making it uncomfortable and fatiguing to look at.

For whatever reason, the LG C3 doesn't seem to want to let me adjust brightness. I only have two settings to play with, contrast and black level.

The whites become reasonable and not eye-scorching when I turn the contrast down to ~40, but then the rest of the colors look washed out.

Also, I absolutely hate that the screen is reflective. I use dark mode for pretty much everything, and I hate staring at my own reflection in the screen, unless I turn all of the lights out and sit in darkness.

Does anyone have a good "configure an LG OLED for desktop use" guide they can recommend?

Edit:

And the goddamn accelerometer "Wii-mote" that kicks in every time I go to the settings screen is driving me up a wall.

Last edited:
So, I just got the 42" LG C3 set up.

If I am going to be 100% honest, right now I am concerned I may have made a mistake.

I can tell it is going to be awesome in games and video content, but I also do desktop productivity work on this machine 9 hours a day, and for that purpose I am really kind of struggling to get it set up right.

Font quality is bad, but I knew that was going to be the case due to the RWBG layout, and I can live with it.

The issue I have with it is the brightness /contrast settings, which are essentially the same issues I always have with HDR screens.

Whites windows/icons are eye scorchingly bright making it uncomfortable and fatiguing to look at.

For whatever reason, the LG C3 doesn't seem to want to let me adjust brightness. I only have two settings to play with, contrast and black level.

The whites become reasonable and not eye-scorching when I turn the contrast down to ~40, but then the rest of the colors look washed out.

Also, I absolutely hate that the screen is reflective. I use dark mode for pretty much everything, and I hate staring at my own reflection in the screen, unless I turn all of the lights out and sit in darkness.

Does anyone have a good "configure an LG OLED for desktop use" guide they can recommend?

Edit:

And the goddamn accelerometer "Wii-mote" that kicks in every time I go to the settings screen is driving me up a wall.

This guide helped me discover some settings I had missed that greatly improves the experience:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_pchCK-5I

Back