Why isn't Shadowplay making a bigger splash?

A small bit of shadow play video from BF4 and my first youtube upload. SP has been somewhat awesome experience really. The exhaustively long upload times to youtube for even the smallest video are the most frustrating for me.

rj

ps. MG4 with INRV and a Silencer

because the point is that you can save a badass moment with the push of a button, and have very little performance hit for being able to do so.

But I can understand how some of you guys wouldn't be interested in this, being that you never do anything cool worth saving or showing off ;)

And they clearly don't play competitively whatsoever, because you want to be able to review things with yourself and/or your team/clan/guild/etc. as to what happened good/bad and what you can use to improve with. This is for games in fps, rts, mmorpg, etc. genres, in any non-casual type setting (aka not pubs, or in an mmorpg not a pug or giant guild with no real structure or competitive mindset/achievements).

Wow... first on my ignore list. Took 4.4 years.

So... I point out that what someone was railing on me about was a typo that they could have been less roundabout in pointing out, and they put me on their ignore list... Are you folks always this touchy? I'm rather new to these forums comparatively..

I'm kind of surprised that people haven't been calling me an Nvidia rep in disguise or something by this point.

I will add this, maybe the reason shadow play even exists is because now days a lot of dev companies are so freaking lazy they do not offer demo recording in their games. So at this interim point where demo recoding is present in many games but missing in many others there just is not a mass push to care. I was always surprised when I would play a game and hear all these people babbling about fraps, like lol why would you want to do that when you can just record the demo, have it take up less space, and be able to go back later and actually increase the graphics to pretty it up for a video. Maybe shadow play is less demanding than fraps but I find it hard to believe it is less demanding then recoding a demo which just records the network data.

Inclusion of demo feature doesn't really solve this problem. Most often those demos are really only usable for a short period of time. Require specific version of whatever game, specific versions of any mods or something, or some map file. A couple years later those demos are pretty much useless. SC2 is pretty good where if you play an old demo it restarts game to whatever version of SC2 demo was made with. Seems like demos are just really difficult to do right, especially when game updates can be pushed out so frequently.

I dunno its a sort spot because I saved so many demos from ut99/ut2k4 games from back in the day and they all ended up being pretty useless. Point is a demo is only useful if after you record it you immediately go back and convert it to video... which is a huge pita. IMO video is 1000x more useful than demos.

You are harping on the implementation of demos, anything can and will be like that. If you used certain codecs you may have trouble finding them for a movie. real media anyone? If their is a specific clip or sequence you want out of a demo you should export it to a movie of some sort. I bet you all those UT demos you saved if they had been actual full resolution videos no way you would have them right now. With the demos you at least can save them for years because they don't take up gigabytes per hour.

Demo recording should be a part of every game, in fact I will say this, shadow play is bad for gaming because all it is going to do is give lazy devs one more reason to not bother with including demo features going forward. If you compare shadow play to fraps, sure its a great product, but that is only because fraps is exactly the same thing without hardware acceleration. Either way their is no way that demo recording has a worse performance hit than either fraps or shadow play. Writing that much data to disk or to a buffer continuously isn't easier than writing the same data in the form of a demo which requires no conversion.

The complains against demos should have all been solved by engines and software. The companies should have made features that were in the (and I am going to yell) GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE, not buried the shit in the console for no one to ever know about except the game savvy. Every part of demo recording can and should work the same as fraps or shadow play, just record automatically and then give the user the option to remember a point and store it off. Anyhow I am sure that shadow play just like demos doesn't get much attention because its the same problem, their is no easy in game and universal interface for it. And I don't see that changing as long as its an NVidia solution. Maybe valve or MS could implement a an API that drivers can tap into so NVidia and AMD could both have their own drivers / hardware but to the user the steps to do something would be the same. Sort of like how steam has taken over and standardized screen shot taking.

That's why I said 'Most often'. It's not just a matter of including a demo features, its of doing it right... which so few do. Its not everyone used to include perfect demo features and now they don't. its everyone included demo features that mostly worked, and now they don't. It was never really a great solution.

And no almost certainly the videos would still work, as I have videos made then and they still work. Some are wmv but whatever they still work.

Demo recording should be a part of every game
Not all game engines demonstrate repeatability given the same inputs. They must be in order for demo playback to work correctly.

You're also completely forgetting, or, more likely, simply ignorant to, the fact that slight changes to games (via patches) over time invalidate demo playback correctness. This is sometimes (frequently) unavoidable.

So... I point out that what someone was railing on me about was a typo that they could have been less roundabout in pointing out, and they put me on their ignore list... Are you folks always this touchy? I'm rather new to these forums comparatively..

I'm kind of surprised that people haven't been calling me an Nvidia rep in disguise or something by this point.

eww nvidia spy!!!..

lol this is [H], you need thicker skin if you plan to survive around these parts. :p

Not all game engines demonstrate repeatability given the same inputs. They must be in order for demo playback to work correctly.

You're also completely forgetting, or, more likely, simply ignorant to, the fact that slight changes to games (via patches) over time invalidate demo playback correctness. This is sometimes (frequently) unavoidable.

I am not sure what you are getting at. Normally a company can just throw the old engine files in their and create demo versions its really not that hard.... A day of programming out of the years they spent jerking around. I find it hard to believe the excuses knowing just how incredibly lazy devs are. For instance look at console ports where the simplest of configurations will simply be missing from the GUI, are you going to come and tell me that its hard to add that to the GUI? Are you going to tell me its a huge problem to make a button that executes a cvar? Also not everything needs to be perfectly reproducible in a demo, random debri, how a body frags, all that client side junk can be regenerated and it is not important that the body fall in exactly the same way every time.

Ultimately if you want to argue fine, just don't come bitching to me when you SSD cannot hold all your recordings of your games because you sold out a flexible efficient system for a stringent one with limited capabilities. Most games I play are not with all the eye candy turned up, but I guess that explains why most frag videos look like shit since no one knows how to use a demo anymore.

I only haven't tried shadowplay yet because Geforce Experience doesn't work well (actually, at all) for me with strobelight installed and running 2D lightboost. When GE is installed, it prevents strobelight from triggering lightboost outside of 3D apps, so it ends up negating what I like most about my 120Hz monitor :\

I'm 34 and people this generation are too sensitive and touchy everywhere, even on the internet. Get offended too easily for the stupidest things and sue eachother etc etc.
You can't even say or express your own opinion anymore because people take it to the heart, pathetic world really....

I'm 34 and people this generation are too sensitive and touchy everywhere, even on the internet. Get offended too easily for the stupidest things and sue eachother etc etc.
You can't even say or express your own opinion anymore because people take it to the heart, pathetic world really....

Generation of emos!

I'm going to necro this old topic (I've been meaning to for a while, just kept forgetting), because I believe it is worth it to note that Nvidia has really dropped the ball on Shadowplay, at least as far as SLI goes. It has been broken for well over half a year now, and with no fix. Quite dissatisfied with the experienced. If you go over to the OCN topic (where I have rambled quite a bit) the rep kept saying they'd fix it, but they never will. "Oh, it's in an upcoming branch". With no resolution in sight. Ever. I'm very dissatisfied with how Nvidia has handled this as I really loved Shadowplay. What's worse is that they keep advertising it as an official feature even though it's nigh unusable on SLI system. And has been for over half a year. What baffles me is they had it working while I had this topic going, but just totally and utterly broke it in later driver revisions and just never could fix it.

Combined with some issues I've had with their drivers, I'm never going to consider Nvidia as "better/more reliable" in the driver department again, ever (which is the only reason I went with green camp this build, really...). They've really flopped this one in my eyes. 8 months worth of those occasional awesome moments in my gaming, just going unsaved thanks to their crap.

I guess this is one of those situations where it would have been better to not taste something when it's going to be taken away from you shortly.

At the risk of getting flamed, AMD now has a similar feature, however like SP, crossfire isnt supported yet.

More social media crap, I enjoy being in my cave by myself playing like a g' old cave man without the need to show random videos to other people,

oh and I have 7970 trifire setup, so even if i want i cant.

Its old people like me who can afford to buy these videocards.

Lolwut? I've been affording my own videocards since before I was in high school. It doesn't take a ton of money to get one. A decent card is, what? $300ish nowadays? I was making that every couple of weeks working weekends at the local movie theater. And that was 10 years ago! I'm not all that young (mid-20s) but I have a lot of friends that like to stream and record their gaming sessions. Heck, I'm trying to get into it, too. Being able to do that straight from the GPU with minimal performance hit and no need for a $100+ capture card is a great feature. That's $100+ more I can throw at a GPU! How is that a gimmicky feature?

Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean no one else does. And just because you don't know people that use it, doesn't mean there isn't a very large and very thriving community of gamers that are very much into using such features and would love this sort of thing. But hey, if you don't care and don't use it... Don't worry about it. Go do your thing and don't waste time and energy trying to tell people that care that they shouldn't care. Especially if your reasoning is "kids can't afford GPUs".

You're not convincing anyone with that.

Last edited:
Lolwut? I've been affording my own videocards since before I was in high school. It doesn't take a ton of money to get one. A decent card is, what? $300ish nowadays? I was making that every couple of weeks working weekends at the local movie theater. And that was 10 years ago! I'm not all that young (mid-20s) but I have a lot of friends that like to stream and record their gaming sessions. Heck, I'm trying to get into it, too. Being able to do that straight from the GPU with minimal performance hit and no need for a $100+ capture card is a great feature. That's $100+ more I can throw at a GPU! How is that a gimmicky feature?

Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean no one else does. And just because you don't know people that use it, doesn't mean there isn't a very large and very thriving community of gamers that are very much into using such features and would love this sort of thing. But hey, if you don't care and don't use it... Don't worry about it. Go do your thing and don't waste time and energy trying to tell people that care that they shouldn't care. Especially if your reasoning is "kids can't afford GPUs".

You're not convincing anyone with that.

I'm just stating my personal experience. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. This thread is why isn't shadow play making a bigger splash and I'm giving my opinion of why it isn't. You don't have to be so offensive. No one is trying to hurt your beloved nvidia.

My original statement still stands. Recording videos of yourself gaming isn't a feature that most people care about. As much as you think that you think that there is a lot of people who do out there, percentage-wise, it's a very insignificant number.

umm...he has AMD cards...

I guess I assumed so by his tone. Isn't amd releasing a similar feature soon? But my opinion remains the same, the reason why this feature to record yourself gaming more efficiently isn't popular is because most people don't use it.

Yes, kids working minimum wage jobs can spend a significant portion of their paycheck to buy things like a high end video card, but most kids can't. Things like cellphone bill, car note and insurance will drain pretty much all they earn. Adults have a much higher income, and therefore have a lot more disposable income to spend.

I'm very dissatisfied with how Nvidia has handled this as I really loved Shadowplay. What's worse is that they keep advertising it as an official feature even though it's nigh unusable on SLI system. And has been for over half a year.
Send Kyle an email and see if he'll connect you with someone at NVIDIA, or at least try to get some kind of official line from them on the subject. Ryan over at PCPer might be able to help as well.

It sounds like it's at the point where NVIDIA's feathers need to be publically ruffled a bit.

Yes, kids working minimum wage jobs can spend a significant portion of their paycheck to buy things like a high end video card, but most kids can't. Things like cellphone bill, car note and insurance will drain pretty much all they earn. Adults have a much higher income, and therefore have a lot more disposable income to spend.
Okay, but a user's age and a user's desire to stream are orthogonal. I'm not sure why it's relevant to ShadowPlay.

I don't use it because I play in windowed mode. Someone said before they fixed it to record in windowed mode, but it never worked for me.

They fixed that when the increase to 2560x1600 resolutions were supported, so windowed on the primary desktop monitor works completely fine now.

AMD's Raptr tie-in is a poor imitation of Shadowplay. As an added bonus, it also serves you ads.

They fixed that when the increase to 2560x1600 resolutions were supported, so windowed on the primary desktop monitor works completely fine now.

AMD's Raptr tie-in is a poor imitation of Shadowplay. As an added bonus, it also serves you ads.

No they didn't. I couldn't get it working at all in windowed mode. I even did a fresh install of the geforce experience out whatever it was called.

Raptr's recording function does not serve ads, nor does it in-game.

Only in the community functions, just like any other forum

If you never open it, you never see them.

It does however not work in crossfire, just like SP.

You must have viruses on your PC playing advertisements because my Raptr doesn't show ads. Raptr works fine in the games that it supports. It just came out a month or so ago. I'll give them more time to work out all of the kinks.

and actually I got rid of geforce experience because it was always asking me to optimize games after I play them even if i check no. It was a total pain in the ass. I have been using raptor for a long time and it is nowhere as much a pain in the ass as geforce experience.

You must have viruses on your PC playing advertisements because my Raptr doesn't show ads. Raptr works fine in the games that it supports. It just came out a month or so ago. I'll give them more time to work out all of the kinks.

That would require me a) owning a 290x generation card and b) installing cRaptyr.

No they didn't. I couldn't get it working at all in windowed mode. I even did a fresh install of the geforce experience out whatever it was called.

So all the 2560 x 1600 game play recordings I'm making must all be in my head if it's not working, right?

I think being vendor locked more than a couple generations starts to turn people nutty.

More social media crap, I enjoy being in my cave by myself playing like a g' old cave man without the need to show random videos to other people,

oh and I have 7970 trifire setup, so even if i want i cant.

I don't show them I use them for progression raiding learning fights and for pvp training in my guild. Plus the very occasional pretty piece for the guild.

Shadow play windowed mode has worked perfectly for me since it was allowed in 2.0. It's been a flawless experience.... Same can't be said of the amd raptor knockoff I tried when testing an obnoxiously loud and whiny ref 290 Radeon recently for a build due to a cheap 250 dollar eBay deal. Even at 38 percent fan that thing was by far the loudest thing in the case and produced a lot of noise. I wouldn't want one for any rig.... And the knockoff version of shadow play crashed twice while recording.....

That would require me a) owning a 290x generation card and b) installing cRaptyr.

So all the 2560 x 1600 game play recordings I'm making must all be in my head if it's not working, right?

I think being vendor locked more than a couple generations starts to turn people nutty.

Who is vendor locked? I have a nvidia 780 and geforce experience has not been right for me. I guess being able to say rude comments makes you pretty sweet too.

Now:
This is about me being ticked with how they never fixed the SLI problem that started debuting shortly after this topic was originally discussed...

Original post:
I'm just kind of confused about this, because after actually trying it out more and more in the various games I play... I've found it to be absolutely amazing.

My FPS hardly goes down at all, and I end up with a very reasonably sized, already encoded file on my HDD... that's in pretty good quality to boot. 3.8GB for 10 mins of 1080p higher-framerate action? That's pretty darn good for not having to mess with an encoder. Plus, they're going to integrate it to work with Twitch, so the LoL crowd has something to jump up and down about. I mean I told some guy on PCP to pick a 770 over a 280X because he wants to stream LoL and I thought that for him the 770 would actually make sense because of Shadowplay eventually doing that (aside from them performing about the same). After testing it out myself, I think that was good advice (granted it's not working with Twitch yet but we'll see that hopefully happen).

I don't want any kind of fanboy this or that stuff flaming crap (though I know it'll attract some), I'm just kind of confused about why I see Shadowplay curiously absent during any kind of "should you get this or that" evaluation at this or that price range in these forums. I'm just like starting to use it more and more to capture these funny/amazing/etc moments in my gaming.

Late to the party here, but I think it's just because the feature isn't really covered that much by review sites. I wouldn't expect it to be either. Sites just don't have the time to do in depth coverage of every feature the vendors add. Maybe a separate review could be done. Although I'm not sure who would be the best to cover a feature like that.

Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal. AMD has added their own version (AMD DVR? Or something like that.) I'm not really sure if it's as good or how good either of them are to be honest. It's not a feature that really excites me.

Back