Who designed the heat sink push pin mechanism on the core 2 dous?

I also like the push-pin design. (I said so in my review of the Celeron DC E1200 @ newegg.com.) The majority of those that have spoken out *against* push-pins are also those that favor screws or more *traditional* fasteners (mainly used in third-party coolers).
The push-pin design is actually MUCH easier than how Intel's S478 HSFs typically go on (I came to LGA775 from S478). The gripes I read about the push-pins are mostly that it's TOO easy and too simple (in short, complicated = better).

Not in this case.

I have my Celeron DC E1200 overcranked to 2.66 GHz and an FSB of 1333 MHz (compared to 1.6 GHz and 800 MHz FSB at stock), push pins and all.

Bone-stock cooling, complete with push pins, and I have a one gigahertz overcrank?

Sounds like Intel did something RIGHT with the stock HSF (complete with push-pins).
Trust me I wish I could find an easy alternative. Push pins plain suck. I've not had luck with any of them. They'll go in and work themselves out over time I've noticed.

There are many users who put a hole in their mobo just because using push-pin HS. If you are not carefully and when you push it in, trying to lock it, a slight change of angle and the screw driver might slip and either put a hole in the board or take out some onboard components, causing serious damage to the board. I have many times came close to doing just that and I've been doing HS installations since probably before some of you were born.

For twisting them off...

...which you don't need any downward pressure for...

There are many users who put a hole in their mobo just because using push-pin HS. If you are not carefully and when you push it in, trying to lock it, a slight change of angle and the screw driver might slip and either put a hole in the board or take out some onboard components, causing serious damage to the board. I have many times came close to doing just that and I've been doing HS installations since probably before some of you were born.

I guess that tells everyone how much I know!!!

I thought I was going to use the stock Intel HSF on my latest build (E8500, P5Q-E). Everything I've done lately has been water cooled, and after I saw how much the damn HSF bent the motherboard with the tension it puts on the socket, I nixed that idea. Found another waterblock and that's on there now.

Not a fan of this design.

I've tried the push pins quite a few times now and no matter what I try, the motherboard ends up with a bend in it, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Never had problems pushing the pins in or releasing them tho.

Still think the backplate / screws from top is the better alternative but unfortunately usually means a motherboard removal.

Forgive my ignorance, but who the fuck installs a push pin HSF with a screwdriver..:eek::eek::eek:

You would have to be seriously retarded to do it that way.

and I doubt very much you have been doing it since before I was born..but if you have, you have been doing it wrong for long time..:):)

Haha Crosshairs, we already got on his case about that a few posts up.

I think you have to really not understand how the push pins work to screw them up, they are dead simple.

The reason most people end up just pushing and pushing and bending their mobo's is the white "clip" section isn't through the hole yet before they start to really push. I usually use a little screwdriver just to slide the white part into the hole, then all you have to do is put moderate pressure on the pin and it clicks right down.

i hate having to take my motherboard in and out of the case and the push-pins are easy as pie, however the amd lever system is pretty snazzy

yeah and AMD stole that idea from Intel....oh the irony.. Socket 478 mounting scheme was wayyy easier than the PIII Socket 370 or Penitum I mounting, I can only imagine this latest mounting scheme by Intel being the worst they've ever had.

When we build a system at our shop with any C2D setups that come OEM with the pushpin hitsink we normally get rid of those and just use a Mass Cool screw design HS/F. I have no problem mounting the things, but those clips are easy as hell to break. Trying to remount them after the weak-ass plastic has been stressed from the first mount is hell.

I love AMD's rail mounting so much better.

last setup i had was a 478, and i found it annoying to mount those. The push pin setup on my p5q is actually easier, to me, to work on. Maybe i'm the minority though...

As a user and not a moderatior (we too are allowed only one account).

OH my farking epic fail. You can love em or hate em but there is no reason not to be able to install them correctly, Just wow. No wonder the jobs are going overseas. I would not let some of you guys rake my lawn.

Here is an Intel video on how to properly install the cpu and heatsink

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/100617.htm

Now I go X and not around in a circle and I have for sure gotten some that are hard as hell to pop in but ... just wow.

Walking away now.

Last edited:
I didnt go thru this whole thread to see if it was mentioned, but there is an easy way to install the pins with not too much pressure on the mobo:

Just pull the pin upwards to loosen the plastic prong that goes in the mobo hole. Then guide the prong with your fingers to get it in the hole. THEN push the pin down to secure the prong inside the hole.

Thats what I was trying to explain, If you guide the white part in the hole first, pushing the pin down takes no pressure at all.

Apparently its to complicated for more people. :p

I love to hear "i spent an hour installing my heatsink" or "i broke my mainboard installing this thing".

If it takes more than one or two minutes you're doing it wrong.;)

Push pins are great unless you have a large, heavy heatsink, that may push the limits of the design but i personally don't mind using them.

Thats what I was trying to explain, If you guide the white part in the hole first, pushing the pin down takes no pressure at all.
Well that's what you're supposed to do. If you don't push in the lower part first before locking in the black pins, it can be difficult or even impossible to get it all the way through. You need to push the white part in first to do it properly.

The Push Pin design is terrible. The pins break far too easily and I CANNOT count the number of times I have fastened a pin, locked it in, and had it magically come undone later on. EVERY SINGLE TIME I mount a HSF I quad check to make sure the pins are actually all in and locked because the damn system fails so often. The entire system is weak and flawed. I honestly prefer the god awful Socket 7 system to this.

The Push Pin design is terrible. The pins break far too easily and I CANNOT count the number of times I have fastened a pin, locked it in, and had it magically come undone later on. EVERY SINGLE TIME I mount a HSF I quad check to make sure the pins are actually all in and locked because the damn system fails so often. The entire system is weak and flawed. I honestly prefer the god awful Socket 7 system to this.

Motherboard bending :(

These pins are really a bad design. I basically had to pull the MB out each time I needed to reseat the CPU/HSFan properly. But how many times do you really need to take a CPU HS/Fan off? The typical user will never touch them after factory installed. So it doesn't matter to Intel if they break after 3 or 4 on off cycles. I am a much bigger fan of the rear bracket.

I've used the same HSF on a board eleven straight times (in the same day, mind you) ... screwing in and unscrewing - both the push pins and motherboard work fine. This was while testing CPUs for functionality.

I swear some of you guys are doing it wrong ...

I've used the same HSF on a board eleven straight times (in the same day, mind you) ... screwing in and unscrewing - both the push pins and motherboard work fine. This was while testing CPUs for functionality.

I swear some of you guys are doing it wrong ...

No they suck period.

There is nothing wrong with the motherboard flexing slightly.

Slightly, true, though I've seen motherboards bend so much underneath the CPU I'm honestly surprised the whole CPU hasn't busted through :p

No need to explain, that's how it should be done. Still, I've had some where the pins haven't been able to go all the way in, as it would have applied far too much pressure to the CPU/motherboard, and had to meticulously push the 4 pins in just enough so they wouldn't come out without them actually locking in :( If the tolerances in the manufacture of motherboards and HSF assemblies was better, I can see it being a good system. All being said, it's very hard to beat a system that uses both a mounting bracket to support the motherboard, and spring loaded screws to apply the correct amount of pressure.

Last edited:
What makes me angry is that I spent a couple of days deciding on my HSF.. (price, perfomance, etc) and my main thing was that I did NOT want a push pin heatsink. So I got down to the Xigmatek 1283 RS and the Xigmatek 1283 DK... Well they were the same price shipped and I have a case with nothing but the orange xiggy's in it and I have one with the black xiggy's with white leds.. I decided what the heck, I've already got a DK cooler, so I'll throw the Red Scorpion cooler in my new build. I knew the Dark knight came with screws and a backplate, so I just assumed the Red scorpion did too.. Much to my surprise when I opened the box it had the push pins. UGH! now i have to spend an extra $15 just to get the backplate and screws :(

The fact that no major retail PC manufacturer uses this style HS mounting for their builds should tell you something. Dell, E-Machines\Gateway, HP\Compaq, Apple, Acer, not one of them uses heat sinks with this mounting method (please post pics of such if I'm wrong).

Push pins..... i would pay for someone to mega-wedgie the person who said "Yeah lets go with that".

It takes no longer then 1 minute to install a push pin HSF. Any longer and you really to need to evauluate your problem solving skills. I can grab my S1283 with my motherboard attached and it will not even budge.

Though, it may be helping out AMD a bit. Most of my builds for average customers are AMD due to the superior mounting mechanism on their stock heatsinks. For customers that I give third party heatsinks with their own mounting bracket/screws to, then I choose Intel as they're my performance CPU of choice.

i hate the push pin design. its not because its hard, its because the plastic things are cheap junk. i have had them just unpop before. i really hate the little arrows that are on the top of the black piece that NEVER point in the right direction that you need to turn. they are fairly easy to install, but i still hate them. it is more convenient than taking out the MB to replace a HSF though.

Socket A HSF were easy. i have never used a stock intel fan but it looks like a b**ch to put on lol

Only the ones with the metal hook that keeps your flathead screwdriver from slipping, causing you to stab your board with your full weight and your heart goes into your throat in terror you've done damage to a $260 board.

:-P

I love the stock heatsink that came with my Phenom II 720. It's just like a CPU socket lever. Put the heatsink on the CPU and pull the lever down. Done. Remove it by pulling up the lever. Done.

Death to the push pin!
Seriously it is so shoddy. I have such bad luck with them. I have had them break, pop off, and not go all the way through the motherboard.
Give me socket 939 mounting any day.

Back