Which Linux OS can used to game with ( Windows PC Games)?

I use Steam, Origin, uPlay, GoG and the Windows Store and the majority of games that I have purchased that aren't Linux compatible come from Steam. Only about 22% of games that have been released this year on Steam are Linux compatible. That drops to about 17% when including VR games. I'm quite certain that Steam games are a far bigger obstacle for most Windows gamers using Linux for gaming than Origin. And it's something you have to consider and deal with one way or the other if you want to use Linux and game unless you simply stick to only Linux compatible games.

Dude as I have said 1000 times by now I have a windows 7 drive I happily use for a handful of games I play that don't run well in Linux.

I still don't use EAs spyware distribution platform.

I thought you wanted to talk about Origin. I didn't realise attacking Origin was attacking windows somehow. lol

The OP uses Origin and plays lots of EA games... no one told him to dump either. Cool your jets pls and give it up.

Plenty of people are choosing to support companies that support Linux... you do what you want no one told you to do anything different. No one here is lying to other [H] style computer users. Yes Windows has more quantity. For a ton of reasons I feel Windows is inferior and I choose to support gaming companies that support Linux. You do as you like, voice your opinions all you want... but whos mind are you trying to change right now. :)

Last edited:
I use ubuntu for Steam, but i try to use MacOS on haff life 2 the cursor is problem for me when i moving to fast is zoom in x5..... i didnt know this can be happened ... maybe there is option to disable it.....

I have heard of cursor issues with macos and source games before. I think I heard something about a "Shake mouse pointer to locate" option in MacOS settings can fix it.... if its the same issue anyway.

I'm not the one telling the OP not to use Origin. He said he did and you're saying it sucks. That's not helping him.

I'm not the one telling the OP not to use Origin. He said he did and you're saying it sucks. That's not helping him.

Sure it is, Heatle. The OP now knows that he should buy games on Steam or other multiplatform services to avoid being locked into a single OS. In my opinion you aren't helping the OP at all by tanking the thread.

Windows 10 is a dumpster fire and there's no real upgrade path for Windows users after 7 hits it's real EOL in 2020. It's a good time for users to make the transition to Linux. Game and hardware support has never been better and keeps improving. It's not perfect, but I have more games than time to play.

You take such offense at someone not supporting your odd points of view, I'm sure if the OP want's to continue using Origin he will irregardless of what someone like myself thinks of an obvious buggy PITA cash grab on behalf of EA.

Last edited:
Install any flavour of Linux that you want, work with it, get the basic education it needs to run it successfully and then you will see yourself.

I have played on Linux since early 2000 ( iirc ) when Wine was PayWare and had an annual fee. Back then it was more or less a disaster.

Nowadays I game on all 3 OS's, Win Linux and MacOS. They all work IF supported, that's the stumble stone.

Thing is, if Windows is a hurdle for the OP then Linux is even less suited for him I fear. Too many new things to learn and understand, console commands are still needed to counter many shortcomings or fixes etc..

I love Linux, but I have digged into Linux for over 15 years by now, starting it from ZERO is not easy. Many things we do on the fy to fix things are like magic to those who watch you doing it. We call it basics, they call it Voodoo and tilt away after 5 min.

Sure it is, Heatle. The OP now knows that he should buy games on Steam or other multiplatform services to avoid being locked into a single OS. In my opinion you aren't helping the OP at all by tanking the thread.

The OP in post #12:

There goes my options. I play EA and Origin games.

Telling him not to play the games he wants to play isn't helpful. Bashing Origin when it seems to be working for him, isn't helpful.

Windows 10 is a dumpster fire and there's no real upgrade path for Windows users after 7 hits it's real EOL in 2020.

Windows 10 is far superior to Linux for gaming purposes.

Game and hardware support has never been better and keeps improving. It's not perfect, but I have more games than time to play.

Not perfect? LOL!

You take such offense at someone not supporting your odd points of view, I'm sure if the OP want's to continue using Origin he will irregardless of what someone like myself thinks of an obvious buggy PITA cash grab on behalf of EA.

Telling people something sucks that's working for them when you have no alternative but to say "Throw it away." is the offense here.

Windows Mac or Linux.... I prefer cross platform stores. Of the 5 stores you listed Heatle.... 2 are game publishers attempts to infect your system with spyware.

Steam and GOG are great choices... Cross platform (which means games you buy will work on Windows or Mac if you buy say a mac laptop down the road as well as Linux).

If I had to choose which store to buy from... why would I choose a store that will lock me to a platform if for the same $ I can buy a game from a company that will allow me to download my games on any platform I choose. (I do know people with Macbooks that like being able to install a few games they already own... its not just a Linux argument). If given the choice you can even buy cross platform and DRM free from GOG.

Considering that the majority of PC games aren't cross-platform the store from where they are purchased is irrelevant.

Considering that the majority of PC games aren't cross-platform the store from where they are purchased is irrelevant.

You keep telling yourself that. :)

Bottom line is the best deals tend to be Steam/GOG deals anyway.... so why not buy from the store that supports every platform. Sure perhaps you would never buy a macbook... but many people have macbooks and windows desktops. Games like Civ are great on a laptop. Buying from Steam/GOG gives you options... if you never do anything but run Windows great you didn't loose anything. Perhaps in 2 years you decide to buy a Macbook or a Ubuntu dell why not buy today from the platform where you know at least a good number if not all your games will work no matter what choice you make later.

So yes if it was up to me all consumers would abandon the game publishers own platform software, they are nothing but greedy cash grabs that invade peoples privacy and seem to be coded by community collage washouts. Never mind that uplay origin arc and the like are all designed to be spy/malware.

You keep telling yourself that. :)

Games by platform on Steam right now:

Total games across all platforms - 14466
Linux - 3359
macOS - 4973
Windows - 14461

It has nothing to do with me, this is just what's there in Steam.

So yes if it was up to me all consumers would abandon the game publishers own platform software, they are nothing but greedy cash grabs that invade peoples privacy and seem to be coded by community collage washouts. Never mind that uplay origin arc and the like are all designed to be spy/malware.

This has nothing to do with people enjoying the games they want to enjoy.

Telling people something sucks that's working for them when you have no alternative but to say "Throw it away." is the offense here.

I have no idea what you're talking about, who told the OP to throw anything away and why the hell do you keep posting shovelware statistics regarding Steam like it actually indicates something meaningful? The top ten games under Steam are what the masses are playing and between 50 - 75% of those games are available under Linux, if the OP plays a number of those titles available under Linux than it may be an option for him, unfortunately the OP needs Origin so that counts out Linux. No one argued this and no ones claiming otherwise, you jumped in, got all defensive and righteous as you always do the second someone opposes gaming solely under Windows with it's mess of game launchers and once again turned a civil discussion into a flamewar.

We're all adults here, we can all game under the OS of our choosing. The fact that you game under Windows doesn't make you an elite gamer compared to anyone else, give it a god damn rest. If someone recommends dual booting and using Linux for daily tasks so the OP can familiarize himself with the OS, they're entitled to do so despite your shamelessly biased point of view - No one has to use Windows simply because it exists.

I have no idea what you're talking about, who told the OP to throw anything away and why the hell do you keep posting shovelware statistics regarding Steam like it actually indicates something meaningful?

These are the numbers that show up in the Steam client when you filter by platform, hardly shovelware stats if one is confining themselves only to Linux compatible titles.

The top ten games under Steam are what the masses are playing and between 50 - 75% of those games are available under Linux,

Out of nearly 15000 Windows games on Steam and something around 150 million users, even if half of everyone on Steam stuck to only those games, the other half aren't. So this is a meaningless generalization without specific numbers.

if the OP plays a number of those titles available under Linux than it may be an option for him, unfortunately the OP needs Origin so that counts out Linux. No one argued this and no ones claiming otherwise, you jumped in, got all defensive and righteous as you always do the second someone opposes gaming solely under Windows with it's mess of game launchers and once again turned a civil discussion into a flamewar.

You and others were the ones preaching about how Origin sucks which in no way, shape or form was of use to the OP.

We're all adults here, we can all game under the OS of our choosing. The fact that you game under Windows doesn't make you an elite gamer compared to anyone else, give it a god damn rest.

I never said anything about being an elite gamer, I'm not, but I have been playing PC games a long time on hardware that most don't by your own words. If Linux was as good of an option for gaming as you say, people like me would be using it in droves. Instead, we literally can't because of the lack of support.

If someone recommends dual booting and using Linux for daily tasks so the OP can familiarize himself with the OS, they're entitled to do so despite your shamelessly biased point of view - No one has to use Windows simply because it exists.

I have a half-terabyte SSD in my sig rig for booting Linux and of these days I'll setup my Surface Pro 3 with a Linux partition. If someone wants to get into Linux for the sake of Linux doing that, that's fine but it's a suck ass solution for people who simply want to play games.

These are the numbers that show up in the Steam client when you filter by platform, hardly shovelware stats if one is confining themselves only to Linux compatible titles.

Out of nearly 15000 Windows games on Steam and something around 150 million users, even if half of everyone on Steam stuck to only those games, the other half aren't. So this is a meaningless generalization without specific numbers.

You and others were the ones preaching about how Origin sucks which in no way, shape or form was of use to the OP.

I never said anything about being an elite gamer, I'm not, but I have been playing PC games a long time on hardware that most don't by your own words. If Linux was as good of an option for gaming as you say, people like me would be using it in droves. Instead, we literally can't because of the lack of support.

I have a half-terabyte SSD in my sig rig for booting Linux and of these days I'll setup my Surface Pro 3 with a Linux partition. If someone wants to get into Linux for the sake of Linux doing that, that's fine but it's a suck ass solution for people who simply want to play games.

Yeah, yeah, read it all before.

No ones obliged to stick with Windows because it exists, 95% of all titles under Steam are shovelware on any platform - All that really matters is the top 10 titles and perhaps the occasional new release. It's therefore entirely possible that Linux may suit many as a gaming OS based purely around one's needs, and in my opinion the plethora of game launchers under Windows suck - Especially Origin as it's always been so buggy in comparison to Steam. I'm entitled to my point of view and I have no doubt that the OP will do whatever he thinks is best for him no matter what I say.

No ones obliged to stick with Windows because it exists, 95% of all titles under Steam are shovelware on any platform - All that really matters is the top 10 titles and perhaps the occasional new release.

Steam has about 15000 Windows games but only about 700 are any good which is still a shit load of games, that twice the size of my current library. But of that 700 only 10 matter. The generalizations in what you're saying are beyond belief. You're always talking about how Linux gaming is growing. Why does it need to grow if only 10 games matter? And this is why Linux gaming sucks. How the hell does anything grow with that kind of attitude?

It's therefore entirely possible that Linux may suit many as a gaming OS based purely around one's needs, and in my opinion the plethora of game launchers under Windows suck - Especially Origin as it's always been so buggy in comparison to Steam. I'm entitled to my point of view and I have no doubt that the OP will do whatever he thinks is best for him no matter what I say.

Based on a whole lot of whole cloth, anything this possible. And what do you know about Origin? I run it constantly, I have Origin Access currently. I've not had any problem in years with Origin. You just keep going on and on with generalizations about games that you don't play. You'd attack a person who isn't a Linux guru in similar fashion. Linux isn't a good platform for PC gaming, it's well behind Windows. But instead of just acknowledging the obvious and realizing that Linux has a LONG way to go, your answer is that PC gamers only care about 10 games that are Linux compatible. While at the same time talking about how fast Linux gaming is developing and getting new content, that's often months old compared to Windows.

I just don't understand why Linux folks have such a hard time admitting when there are problems with Linux. Linux gaming is a pile of shit on the PC relative to Windows. You can make all of the excuses you want but Linux has little to offer Windows gamers but a lot of incompatible games and iffy performance currently. That's why so few PC gamers use it.

Steam has about 15000 Windows games but only about 700 are any good which is still a shit load of games, that twice the size of my current library. But of that 700 only 10 matter. The generalizations in what you're saying are beyond belief. You're always talking about how Linux gaming is growing. Why does it need to grow if only 10 games matter? And this is why Linux gaming sucks. How the hell does anything grow with that kind of attitude?

Beyond belief? Not at all, not in the slightest stretch of the imagination.

No one plays all 100% of the mostly garbage games contained within the Windows Steam library, no one at all! Most people would be lucky to play 20% of the Windows Steam library - Well, with the obvious exception of yourself!

However, you should already be aware of this as we've been over it all time and time again! You really need to start comprehending points of view that conflict with your own beliefs where such points of view are perfectly valid and reasonable points of argument.

Based on a whole lot of whole cloth, anything this possible. And what do you know about Origin? I run it constantly, I have Origin Access currently. I've not had any problem in years with Origin. You just keep going on and on with generalizations about games that you don't play. You'd attack a person who isn't a Linux guru in similar fashion. Linux isn't a good platform for PC gaming, it's well behind Windows. But instead of just acknowledging the obvious and realizing that Linux has a LONG way to go, your answer is that PC gamers only care about 10 games that are Linux compatible. While at the same time talking about how fast Linux gaming is developing and getting new content, that's often months old compared to Windows.

I just don't understand why Linux folks have such a hard time admitting when there are problems with Linux. Linux gaming is a pile of shit on the PC relative to Windows. You can make all of the excuses you want but Linux has little to offer Windows gamers but a lot of incompatible games and iffy performance currently. That's why so few PC gamers use it.

Now see, I can tell by your unreasonable context that you're taking things personally again!

The current state of gaming under Linux is outstanding considering the pitiful number of years Linux has been available under Steam in direct comparison to Windows and the obvious benefits time provides in relation to market saturation - Linux is not a pile of shit in relation to gaming on the PC platform by any stretch of the imagination, it's simply not as mature a platform as Windows with definite benefits in direct comparison to the gaming situation under macOS. Such a comment highlights arrogance and a total lack of reason.

And once again, you accuse me of generalising and all the while you accuse me of not using Origin under Windows like I'm in no way a gamer?! You don't know anything about me! I also have a Windows PC, Origin is installed on that Windows PC - How about you keep the stupid generalisations to yourself?

I do not like Origin, I see it as an inconvenience and an unnecessary PITA when there was a perfectly good platform available already - It's just another loader I need to update, another password I need to remember, another platform I need to back up, additional credentials I need to enter every time it updates with two step verification. If you don't agree, I don't care. If the OP chooses to use Origin that's his choice, he is entitled to use whatever he wants and I have no doubt that he will do so no matter what I say.

IFerMOs.png

Once again, you really need to work on comprehending points of view that conflict with your own beliefs where such points of view are perfectly valid and reasonable points of argument as the constant need to remind you that there is a perfectly usable world outside of Windows is derailing threads unnecessarily. Furthermore, stop taking things so personally, Anyone would think Windows was your child the way you carry on over it.

Install any flavour of Linux that you want, work with it, get the basic education it needs to run it successfully and then you will see yourself.

I have played on Linux since early 2000 ( iirc ) when Wine was PayWare and had an annual fee. Back then it was more or less a disaster.

Nowadays I game on all 3 OS's, Win Linux and MacOS. They all work IF supported, that's the stumble stone.

Thing is, if Windows is a hurdle for the OP then Linux is even less suited for him I fear. Too many new things to learn and understand, console commands are still needed to counter many shortcomings or fixes etc..

I love Linux, but I have digged into Linux for over 15 years by now, starting it from ZERO is not easy. Many things we do on the fy to fix things are like magic to those who watch you doing it. We call it basics, they call it Voodoo and tilt away after 5 min.
WINE has always been free (as in beer) but was under the MIT license. Cedega/WineX (via TransGaming) was a famous fork that was paid for and would patch like hell to make it work for the most voted games. I paid and I used to play CSS and BF1942-DC via Cedega. I didn't do that for long mind

Beyond belief? Not at all, not in the slightest stretch of the imagination.

No one plays all 100% of the mostly garbage games contained within the Windows Steam library, no one at all! Most people would be lucky to play 20% of the Windows Steam library - Well, with the obvious exception of yourself!

Plenty play Steam games that aren't Linux compatible though. You act as though the 23% of games that are Linux compatible are exactly the games everyone wants to play. Many of those games are shovelware as well.

The current state of gaming under Linux is outstanding considering the pitiful number of years Linux has been available under Steam in direct comparison to Windows and the obvious benefits time provides in relation to market saturation - Linux is not a pile of shit in relation to gaming on the PC platform by any stretch of the imagination, it's simply not as mature a platform as Windows with definite benefits in direct comparison to the gaming situation under macOS. Such a comment highlights arrogance and a total lack of reason.

I base my view of Linux gaming on the content available. For some reason you make the argument that no one plays all of that content therefore available content doesn't matter. That just makes no sense. Available content is the thing that drives game platforms. Linux needs much more content and many, many more users before it's truly viable PC gaming platform. Sure it works for those that stick with what's available for Linux. The numbers from Steam's survey indicate overwhelming majority of PC gamers simply aren't interested in that caveat, that want to play what they want to play.

I do not like Origin, I see it as an inconvenience and an unnecessary PITA when there was a perfectly good platform available already - It's just another loader I need to update, another password I need to remember, another platform I need to back up, additional credentials I need to enter every time it updates with two step verification. If you don't agree, I don't care. If the OP chooses to use Origin that's his choice, he is entitled to use whatever he wants and I have no doubt that he will do so no matter what I say.

Plenty of people don't like Origin because it's not Steam. But there are games there I wanted to play and I use it daily, side by side with other stores, it beats dual booting.

Once again, you really need to work on comprehending points of view that conflict with your own beliefs where such points of view are perfectly valid and reasonable points of argument as the constant need to remind you that there is a perfectly usable world outside of Windows is derailing threads unnecessarily. Furthermore, stop taking things so personally, Anyone would think Windows was your child the way you carry on over it.

That goes both ways. People talk about how great Linux is for gaming but just in case, keep a copy Windows around to run those "handful" of games that aren't Linux compatible. The idea that average people who simply want to play games are going to mess around with multi-booting is absurd. Sure if someone is interested in Linux or wants to learn or whatever sure. I have Linux setup to boot off it's own drive, well beyond want average people would do. Booting into and out of it for gaming? Way bigger pain in the ass than Origin since all my games are run on Windows without all of that.

There's just so many common sense and practical concerns that pro-desktop Linux folks like to throw out the window and ignore especially when it comes to gaming. Lots of "growth" in Linux gaming, as the title gap with Windows and even macOS widens. Tiny user base that's seems to be well confirmed not only with the Steam survey but developers as well. Ports that come months after Windows and often with lacking performance. Like this situation encourages gamers to dual boot Linux for gaming purposes.

There is much debate here. I decided to dual boot Win 10 and Ubuntu. Since I do play Battlefield a lot, I did not want the hassle between Origin and Linux. I have always loved the different flavors of Linux. I just wanted to try something different for my gaming rig.

There is much debate here. I decided to dual boot Win 10 and Ubuntu. Since I do play Battlefield a lot, I did not want the hassle between Origin and Linux. I have always loved the different flavors of Linux. I just wanted to try something different for my gaming rig.

Cool. You have an interest in Linux anyway. A lot of folks that some would call hostile to desktop Linux also have an interest, which is why I have Ubuntu 17.04 on a dedicated drive as well as Linux VMs. But for people who have no particular interest in Linux and simply want to use their PCs for tasks like gaming, I'd never recommend dual booting Linux as way to improve one's gaming experience unless somehow Linux could improve the experience of gaming for that user and not just add needless complexity in something they had no interest in.

Cool. You have an interest in Linux anyway. A lot of folks that some would call hostile to desktop Linux also have an interest, which is why I have Ubuntu 17.04 on a dedicated drive as well as Linux VMs. But for people who have no particular interest in Linux and simply want to use their PCs for tasks like gaming, I'd never recommend dual booting Linux as way to improve one's gaming experience unless somehow Linux could improve the experience of gaming for that user and not just add needless complexity in something they had no interest in.

No one's calling hostile on anything and there are a great many users here that get all the assistance they need when they have a genuine desire to switch to Linux. Linux users get rightfully pissed off when Windows users attempt to migrate to Linux, come across an issue, ask for assistance, get the assistance they ask for, find the issue is a result of something they've done and then go on to blame Linux as an OS and incorrectly throw around ridiculous blanket statements and generalizations. Another thing that pisses off Linux users, once again rightfully so, is when Windows users try Linux in an obvious attempt from the onset to discredit the OS.

Stop acting like we're all unhelpful bastards, its flat out crap.

As for your long winded reply, I haven't read it yet, can't really be arsed as I'm sure it's all just deflection and blind ignorance over valid points of argument you refuse to comprehend - Really, what's the point of reading it when you're completely irrational?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's blindingly obvious you have a real issue with users switching from Windows to Linux, you hate the idea. Hence the reason why you feel the need to attack over the most minuscule differences of opinion in a thread where a user has asked for advice on transitioning to Linux.

Good job DrwnG76! One of the best forms of antivirus is to use Linux for daily tasks and use Windows for gaming. That's how I started using Linux, my appreciation for the OS grew from there, now I rarely use my Windows machine.

If you need help the Other OS subforum is only a click away! ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's blindingly obvious you have a real issue with users switching from Windows to Linux, you hate the idea.

Nope. It's just that common thing with some pro-desktop Linux folks, they like to oversell it. The state of Linux gaming compared to Windows is crap. Yes Linux gaming has improved but so has Windows even more so. But if someone wants to use Linux or not use Windows, that's fine and certainly nothing to hate over. It's just when folks go on and on about how wonderful Linux gaming is, I think that's a lot of bull. Yes there's content for Linux. Windows has all of the same and much, much more. Linux hasn't even caught up with macOS in gaming content and is still outpacing Linux.

A great gaming platform needs content and not nearly enough is coming to Linux currently. That's just the honest truth. Maybe it'll get there. But for now Linux is as much a PC gaming platform as Windows is a secure one. Everything has strengths and weaknesses, Linux folks will never acknowledge any with Linux on the desktop.

Nope. It's just that common thing with some pro-desktop Linux folks, they like to oversell it. The state of Linux gaming compared to Windows is crap. Yes Linux gaming has improved but so has Windows even more so. But if someone wants to use Linux or not use Windows, that's fine and certainly nothing to hate over. It's just when folks go on and on about how wonderful Linux gaming is, I think that's a lot of bull. Yes there's content for Linux. Windows has all of the same and much, much more. Linux hasn't even caught up with macOS in gaming content and is still outpacing Linux.

A great gaming platform needs content and not nearly enough is coming to Linux currently. That's just the honest truth. Maybe it'll get there. But for now Linux is as much a PC gaming platform as Windows is a secure one. Everything has strengths and weaknesses, Linux folks will never acknowledge any with Linux on the desktop.

If it doesn't bother you... and you honestly believe no one would find Linux a good gaming solution. Then say so and, let them try it for themselves. If your correct they will come away agreeing with you.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

There are a great number of us boosters that have held on to windows for far longer then MS deserves out of a desire to play PC video games. More and more that isn't required anymore and that seems to bother you a bit more then is healthy. BTW I killed my windows 7 drive.... I am now officially MS free for games at least. I have a HP windows laptop around that I guess I'll keep around just in case I need a non VM running windows for something. lol

Yeah, we over sell Linux! :rolleyes:

Dear God, once again irrational ranting.

There are a great number of us boosters that have held on to windows for far longer then MS deserves out of a desire to play PC video games. More and more that isn't required anymore and that seems to bother you a bit more then is healthy.

The absolute gap between Linux and Windows game titles on Steam is greater now than when Steam didn't even support Linux. If what is there for gaming for Linux works for those who want to use it then great. But so much is not there under Linux for PC gaming and that's just growing in absolute terms.

The absolute gap between Linux and Windows game titles on Steam is greater now than when Steam didn't even support Linux. If what is there for gaming for Linux works for those who want to use it then great. But so much is not there under Linux for PC gaming and that's just growing in absolute terms.

Which means nothing in most cases as no one plays 100% of the Steam catalog. See, we've been over this many, many times before, another example of you refusing to accept reasonable and valid points of argument. :rolleyes:

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

There's nothing to indicate that Linux is a great PC gaming platform currently. It lacks content, users and often performance.

Works fine for me. Performance is adequate, sometimes equaling or bettering Windows and ~75% of the titles I play are available under Linux.

No overselling anything in that comment.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
There's nothing to indicate that Linux is a great PC gaming platform currently. It lacks content, users and often performance.

Its my only gaming platform today. So clearly I completely disagree with you. Linux has everything I want game wise.... I use wine for a few old titles. But nothing from the last few years that I care about playing is windows only.

Enjoy your playstation ports. :)

Specious argument. I only have 300 Steam games but the vast majority don't work under Linux.

It can be safely assumed that the vast majority of Steam users don't have 300 games, where they do have 300 games I'm sure they actively play about 20% of them.

Do you even know why you're arguing anymore? If the OP wants to try Linux, if anyone wants to try Linux and asks for advice they're free to do so without your ranting dragging everything into the mud. If the people actively gaming under Linux offer valid, firsthand experience is it possible that they can do so without you calling them all lairs?

I don't like being called a lair and I'm sick of your ranting dragging everything off topic.

Its my only gaming platform today. So clearly I completely disagree with you. Linux has everything I want game wise.... I use wine for a few old titles. But nothing from the last few years that I care about playing is windows only.

Enjoy your playstation ports. :)

Dude as I have said 1000 times by now I have a windows 7 drive I happily use for a handful of games I play that don't run well in Linux.

Just two days ago in Post #41 you said this. And in the last two years what games have you played? Certainly nothing in Origin.

Do you even know why you're arguing anymore? If the OP wants to try Linux, if anyone wants to try Linux and asks for advice they're free to do so without your ranting dragging everything into the mud.

I didn't tell the OP to not use Linux. He said he's dual booting and had an existing interest in Linux. Cool. You guys like to take it beyond that though and say "Linux gaming is great." No it is not. If Linux gaming were so great there'd be no reason to put up with dual booting. You guys just don't hear yourselves sometimes. And you never take what you're saying to a PC gaming forum where I guarantee people there will eviscerate you well beyond my abilities.

If you go and click on the most played steam games right now... you will see that of the top 15... 10 have Linux versions. If you look at the top 100 its around 75% right now. For the top 2000 games with 85% reviews or better Linux has around 50% support.

That is more then good enough for most people.

DOTA 2 (which runs better under Linux and has been the most popular game on Steam every single day for months now), Payday 2, Ark, FootBall Manager, Rocket league, Rust, Civ 5, Civ 6, Terraria, Hearts of Iron IV, Europa Universalis IV, Stellaris, War Thunder, Counter Strike, X-com 2, Euro Truck Sim, Rim world. Those are the games real people are playing right now... I know cause steam says so. They all run under Linux just fine.

Are things perfect of course not... we don't have Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 which is sad. Sure we also don't have a handful of the PS4 ports like the grand thefts. :) Still linux has been hanging around 75% support in the top 100 for the last year or so. When you factor in actual reviews to weed out the shovelware Linux is pushing over 50% support on games actually worth playing. Not perfect no... but more then good enough for a great number of people. (for sure for people that are big PS4/Xbox players... if you are playing your GTAs and Witchers on your PS4, Linux has you covered for actual PC games like Xcom / Civ ect)

Just two days ago in Post #41 you said this. And in the last two years what games have you played? Certainly nothing in Origin.

I know I was just letting you know... a couple nights ago I decided my windows drive looked like a good place to test something in CentOS. I wasn't really using it anyway.

And ya I'm not a Sims fan.... lol I have made it clear EA won't be getting my money anytime soon. If the OP likes those games that is cool, lots of people like EAs games. If they decide to stick with windows to play them... no judgement from me. EA isn't a Linux supporting company... not my choice, but sure I have been clear I don't support companies that only support MS that is my choice. (you don't have to agree with it or do the same... software politics and gaming ya it matters to me. Doesn't have to matter to you)

No one here told the OP to dump windows when they made it clear what they where looking for.

Last edited:
I didn't tell the OP to not use Linux. He said he's dual booting and had an existing interest in Linux. Cool. You guys like to take it beyond that though and say "Linux gaming is great." No it is not. If Linux gaming were so great there'd be no reason to put up with dual booting. You guys just don't hear yourselves sometimes. And you never take what you're saying to a PC gaming forum where I guarantee people there will eviscerate you well beyond my abilities.

So you're calling me a liar?

So far I'm not seeing these people that will 'eviscerate' me....?

Back