Which Linux OS can used to game with ( Windows PC Games)?

I installed five Ubuntu based distro's in a row on a half dead PC, It was child's play. It was easier than installing Windows 7 as I didn't have to go searching for drivers and while the driver issue has improved somewhat under Windows 10, Linux came out the box with far more preinstalled software - None of which presented me with any issues whatsoever.

The usual answer by Windows folk is that I'm exaggerating the truth, essentially lying - Basically the biggest cop out rebuttal ever, especially considering the extremes I go to to back all my claims up with evidence.

Fact is, once you push past all the bullshit about 'decades of Linux experience' - Which is usually no more than ' I tried Slackware 20 years ago and it was crap' followed by 'I tried Ubuntu 11.04 seven years ago and didn't really like it then either' followed by 'I just tried 16.04 and nothing's changed, it's all crap', you begin to understand the real crux of the situation...

...As the reality is there is nothing wrong with the OS or it's applications, nothing at all in comparison to any other OS out there. The reality, as evidenced in little snippets between the usual rantings, is that certain PC users are lost outside of Windows and rather than ask for help as that would be tarnishing their pride as masters of the PC, they choose to blame the OS as it must be broken! To even attempt to claim that Linux is identical to the Linux of 20 years ago simply defies all reasonable logic.

If you can't ask for help and participate in discussion like an adult, than obviously you never really wanted Linux to work for you in the first place. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with asking for assistance where it's needed and there are plenty of people willing to help provided your intentions are genuine. :)

Last edited:
I am a big Linux booster no doubt... but I don't think its fair to say I'm glossing over issues in anyway.

I think it is completely fair to say. You go beyond glossing things over to claiming Linux is better on the desktop, when objectively just about everything you do in Desktop Linux will be worse.

The main issue with regular users and Linux is the install. No doubt about it. Installing an operating system isn't really something average users have ever been good at. (including windows) Once installed on properly supported Linux hardware average users get by in Linux very well in my experience.

If by install, you mean you are going to install, then do QA on every piece of SW they want to run for them, then turn the system over to them after QA, then sure, they can "get by". Get by with poorer experience in the lesser amounts of software they get to choose from. Install is an issue, but the extra issue with Linux is the need for extra QA after install (because desktop Linux lacks any serious QA).

So to hear some people complain about a handful of tweaks they feel they need to perform to make their chosen distro feel just right sounds about right and not an issue at all to me. Why complain about having to tweak... customising ones machine has been a staple of computing since pre MS. The trick of course if your choosing distros is to find one that does most of what you want out of the box... but none are going to be exactly what you want from the start. Pick one that's close and tweak it.

I am not talking about tweaks. I am taking about broken things. Lubuntu provides one installed Video Player with a GUI interface. Gnome-Mplayer.

It doesn't work. At all. It doesn't play any videos, it won't even play an MP3. It is fundamentally broken in the Lubuntu install.

I did an uninstall/reinstall of it, still no go. I edited the config file to point directly at the mplayer binary (which does work) still no go. Much time wasted and no solution. How does the only included GUI based Video player not work at all? Lack of QA.

I have spent hours trying to configure the monitor setup to work. Just 1 monitor and a TV in this case. But from everything I have read, there is NO fix at all for my issue. Linux numbers the monitors based on how you want to physically arrange them, and while most programs are well behaved and will open on your primary/active monitor, some are NOT and are hardcoded to monitor #1, meaning the wrong monitor in my case. To stop software from opening on the wrong monitor, I have to configure them backwards to the real world. I can then "get by" but it is a PITA when moving/dragging between them.

The thing is why should I just "get by" when there is better? Even when I am "gettting by" in Linux, I come in from a run and want to synch my GPS watch... Reboot to Windows. I want to do some tuner based TV recording, reboot to Windows, edit out commericals from TV recordings, reboot to Windows, play my favorite games, reboot to Windows, etc...

But hey I can get by with the basics in Linux albiet with annoyance of wonky dual monitor support. Slow scroll speed in Vivaldi.

Hence my dual booting quickly falls back to just staying in Windows. Windows does the basics that Linux can do better, with less hassles. Beyond that it does all the extras that you can't do in Linux or waste a massive amount of time trying to do.

It's really hard to see where the Desktop Linux Payoff is beyond a philosophical stand about free software, or sticking it to Microsoft...

Last edited:
It's really hard to see where the Desktop Linux Payoff is beyond a philosophical stand about free software, or sticking it to Microsoft...

Windows is deployed by default on the overwhelming majority of x86 PCs with generally no choice for the consumer to pick something else at the point of sale. Of course it has its problems as does Linux. But as long as the device does what's expected of it, few people will care about the OS. I've said plenty of times that Linux could probably be fine for a lot of average users that don't need the latest and greatest hardware and software or can work with what's available in the Linux ecosystem.

When it comes to the subject of PC gaming on Linux from some pro-Linux folks, it certainly is much more about philosophy than gaming. All I want to do is use my PCs for the tasks I need and want, like everyone else. I'm not having any problems doing that with Windows 10 across a wide variety of activities. I don't get blue screens every time I run an update, I don't get malware and my stuff just tends to work. It's not always straightforward, things pop up from time to time but with the amount of hardware and software I use those issues don't effect most PC users.

Use what works for you and if that's Linux great. Trying to define what everyone does and what everyone needs is a futile process with a group as large as PC users. If Linux were everything some say it is here I'd be using it, along with countless others that wouldn't bother with Windows.

Just installed Vivaldi, no issues whatsoever, scrolling just fine as I expected. Have you asked for help or is this just an obvious attempt to dump on Linux again?

DLVLQvu.png

So far your only real complaint is that Gnome-Mplayer is sub par, I don't use Gnome-Mplayer and VLC and SMPlayer are far better options, so I'm not too sure what's the issue here? Plenty of software doesn't work under Windows and out of the box the media player situation under Windows 10 isn't much better.

If monitors are such an issue and you want your TV for gaming or movie viewing only, configure it to it's own X session - Yes, you can run a completely separate desktop on each display under Linux using the Nvidia drivers. Personally dual monitor support works better for me under Linux than it does under Windows.

Not expecting an answer as I think I've been blocked :)

Last edited:
Just installed Vivaldi, no issues whatsoever, scrolling just fine as I expected. Have you asked for help or is this just an obvious attempt to dump on Linux again?

I have researched it, and again, there is no readily apparent solution(among many requests/complaints) and objectively speaking there is an issue. I just compared the scroll rate in Windows vs Linux.

Objectively:
In Windows it takes 3 scrolls of my mouse wheel to get from the top to bottom, of this forum page (before the addition of this new message).
In Lubuntu, it takes 6 scrolls of my mouse wheel to get from the top to bottom, of this forum page (before the addition of this new message).
So double the amount of scrolling.

Subjectively:
Scrolling twice as slow is readily apparent and very annoying. It makes web browsing in Linux feel more like drudgery in comparison. It's again, one of those, you can "get by" with this things, but I am not sure why I should have to put up with this.

So far your only real complaint is that Gnome-Mplayer is sub par, I don't use Gnome-Mplayer and VLC and SMPlayer are far better options, so I'm not too sure what's the issue here? Plenty of software doesn't work under Windows and out of the box the media player situation under Windows 10 isn't much better.

If sub par == completely broken and useless, sure. But the real message here was one of poor QA, how does the only included GUI video player installed, arrive completely broken? Lack of QA, which is a widespread issue with Linux on the desktop, which is exacerbated by Distro fragmentation.

VLC works, just not as well as it does on Windows, and HEVC video does this when I skip ahead and occasionally just while watching.
2017-06-14-110812_3840x1200_scrot.jpg

And yes as already mentioned, I did finally arrive at a decent player for Linux that doesn't have issues with HEVC: SMplayer.

If monitors are such an issue and you want your TV for gaming or movie viewing only, configure it to it's own X session - Yes, you can run a completely separate desktop on each display under Linux using the Nvidia drivers. Personally dual monitor support works better for me under Linux than it does under Windows.

Sounds like a source of more Hassles when all I want is simple drag and drop over to my TV. I already have to do hand editing of my xorg.conf file just to fix screen tearing, and if I touch it, it falls apart, and needs another manual edit.

Not sure what you mean here, out the box Windows 10 supports these video formats with either Windows Media Player or the store Movies & TV app:

• Advanced Systems Formats (.ASF)
• Windows Media Video (.WMV, .WM)
• Audio Visual Interleave (.AVI)
• MPEG -1 (.MPEG, .MPG, .M1V)
• QuickTime Movie File (.MOV)
• MP4 Video File (.MP4, .M4V, .MP4V, .3G2, .3GP2, .3GP, .3GPP)
• MPEG -2 TS Video File (.M2TS)
• Matroska Video File (.MKV)

I think this is pretty solid list of the most common video formats out there.

I have researched it, and again, there is no readily apparent solution(among many requests/complaints) and objectively speaking there is an issue. I just compared the scroll rate in Windows vs Linux.

Objectively:
In Windows it takes 3 scrolls of my mouse wheel to get from the top to bottom, of this forum page (before the addition of this new message).
In Lubuntu, it takes 6 scrolls of my mouse wheel to get from the top to bottom, of this forum page (before the addition of this new message).

Subjectively:
Scrolling twice as slow is readily apparent and very annoying. It makes web browsing in Linux feel more like drudgery in comparison. It's again, one of those, you can "get by" with this things, but I am not sure why I should have to put up with this.

If sub par == completely broken and useless, sure. But the real message here was one of poor QA, how does the only included GUI video player installed, arrive completely broken? Lack of QA, which is a widespread issue with Linux on the desktop, which is exacerbated by Distro fragmentation.

VLC works, just not as well as it does on Windows, and HEVC video does this when I skip ahead and occasionally just while watching.
View attachment 28306

And yes as already mentioned, I did finally arrive at a decent player for Linux that doesn't have issues with HEVC: SMplayer.

Sounds like a source of more Hassles when all I want is simple drag and drop over to my TV. I already have to do hand editing of my xorg.conf file just to fix screen tearing, and if I touch it, it falls apart, and needs another manual edit.

Just give up and continue paying for Windows. Linux is clearly not for you so stop wasting our time.

I am looking for an OS that can be used to run my Steam games as well as Origin games without the hassle of Windows
What Windows-related hassle are you trying to avoid?

The best case scenario here is that you'll be trading the "hassle" of Windows for the "hassle" of Linux. Linux is pretty good these days, but especially in terms of running games meant for Windows on it, it's not exactly hassle free.

I installed five Ubuntu based distro's in a row on a half dead PC, It was child's play. It was easier than installing Windows 7 as I didn't have to go searching for drivers and while the driver issue has improved somewhat under Windows 10, Linux came out the box with far more preinstalled software - None of which presented me with any issues whatsoever.

The usual answer by Windows folk is that I'm exaggerating the truth, essentially lying - Basically the biggest cop out rebuttal ever, especially considering the extremes I go to to back all my claims up with evidence.

Fact is, once you push past all the bullshit about 'decades of Linux experience' - Which is usually no more than ' I tried Slackware 20 years ago and it was crap' followed by 'I tried Ubuntu 11.04 seven years ago and didn't really like it then either' followed by 'I just tried 16.04 and nothing's changed, it's all crap', you begin to understand the real crux of the situation...

...As the reality is there is nothing wrong with the OS or it's applications, nothing at all in comparison to any other OS out there. The reality, as evidenced in little snippets between the usual rantings, is that certain PC users are lost outside of Windows and rather than ask for help as that would be tarnishing their pride as masters of the PC, they choose to blame the OS as it must be broken! To even attempt to claim that Linux is identical to the Linux of 20 years ago simply defies all reasonable logic.

If you can't ask for help and participate in discussion like an adult, than obviously you never really wanted Linux to work for you in the first place. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with asking for assistance where it's needed and there are plenty of people willing to help provided your intentions are genuine. :)

Dude, do you even read what you write? If by genuine intentions, you mean, you are right and everyone that does not agree with you is wrong, then no, genuine intentions are not going to be. It is almost like you are in love with Linux and any negative information is like an insult to you, instead of listening to what others have to say. After all, you called me a liar when I told you I have been using Linux for at least 20 years and then you claim you want an adult conversation? If that is an adult conversation, I think I will stick to my way of doing things instead. :D

When it comes to the subject of PC gaming on Linux from some pro-Linux folks, it certainly is much more about philosophy than gaming.

I can agree with this for myself anyway. I know that if I were to use Windows I would have access to more games, faster FPS in many and better support for niche stuff I do such as 144hz gaming. Microsoft is going in a direction with 10 that I can't agree to on many levels. Almost all of my issues with 10 are ideological rather than technical. I am willing to stick it out on Linux as things get better because I see no future with 10. That's why, and this goes for any of you on here, trying to argue with a LInux user as to why certain parts of Linux are inferior to Windows will get you nowhere because we simply don't care. The issues many of us have with Windows won't ever be fixed because it goes against Microsoft's whole direction right now.

I will also say that for me it has nothing to do with free. I gladly paid for XP and 7 and would gladly pay for 10 if I thought it was worth it. I have spent thousands of dollars on hardware and games over the years, a few hundred more wouldn't hurt me for the OS. I just hate the OS they're trying to sell me.

That's why, and this goes for any of you on here, trying to argue with a LInux user as to why certain parts of Linux are inferior to Windows will get you nowhere because we simply don't care.

Fair enough and it is pretty obvious that's the position some have. I understand reasons for not wanting to run Windows but there are plenty of reasons people have for running it and gaming is clearly one of them. Windows 10, as with prior versions of Windows, does a great job of supporting all of the hardware and software I've used and there's a lot a like in 10 that works with the kinds of devices I use. The only thing that I don't have with 10 is Windows Media Center which is something I wasn't using nearly as much as at the height of my use.

If I or anyone could continue to use all of the hardware and software we've spent plenty of money over the years on and it just all worked or that there were true replacements, then we'd all be using Linux. If one doesn't need that sort of thing, doesn't care about the Windows ecosystem, has issues with Microsoft of Windows, then sure Linux can work well in those situations. But that's far from every Windows user, maybe most, but far from all.

Fair enough and it is pretty obvious that's the position some have. I understand reasons for not wanting to run Windows but there are plenty of reasons people have for running it and gaming is clearly one of them. Windows 10, as with prior versions of Windows, does a great job of supporting all of the hardware and software I've used and there's a lot a like in 10 that works with the kinds of devices I use. The only thing that I don't have with 10 is Windows Media Center which is something I wasn't using nearly as much as at the height of my use.

If I or anyone could continue to use all of the hardware and software we've spent plenty of money over the years on and it just all worked or that there were true replacements, then we'd all be using Linux. If one doesn't need that sort of thing, doesn't care about the Windows ecosystem, has issues with Microsoft of Windows, then sure Linux can work well in those situations. But that's far from every Windows user, maybe most, but far from all.

It goes both ways. You know what works for you and any Linux user trying to convince you to switch to Linux is beating their head against a brick wall. I think that's why there are so much bickering on OS's on [H], people forget that there is no right and wrong as everybody has different needs, likes and dislikes. Once in a while there is a good conversation but usually just petty bickering.

Not sure what you mean here, out the box Windows 10 supports these video formats with either Windows Media Player or the store Movies & TV app:

• Advanced Systems Formats (.ASF)
• Windows Media Video (.WMV, .WM)
• Audio Visual Interleave (.AVI)
• MPEG -1 (.MPEG, .MPG, .M1V)
• QuickTime Movie File (.MOV)
• MP4 Video File (.MP4, .M4V, .MP4V, .3G2, .3GP2, .3GP, .3GPP)
• MPEG -2 TS Video File (.M2TS)
• Matroska Video File (.MKV)

I think this is pretty solid list of the most common video formats out there.

I try to stay away from Microsoft software myself. I never know which platform I will be using and also when Microsoft will decide to kill it. VLC works on Linux, Mac, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10. Can that software say the same ? You are a Windows 10 man for the most part so it's a moot point to you but still valid.

I try to stay away from Microsoft software myself. I never know which platform I will be using and also when Microsoft will decide to kill it. VLC works on Linux, Mac, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10. Can that software say the same ? You are a Windows 10 man for the most part so it's a moot point to you but still valid.

I was just referring to the out of the box experience with Windows 10 video playback support. There's no need to install anything for all of the common video formats out there currently just for playback, like any of those old codec packs anymore which have been big malware vectors.

It goes both ways. You know what works for you and any Linux user trying to convince you to switch to Linux is beating their head against a brick wall. I think that's why there are so much bickering on OS's on [H], people forget that there is no right and wrong as everybody has different needs, likes and dislikes. Once in a while there is a good conversation but usually just petty bickering.

I agree. And it's not like Windows folks don't know anything about Linux or haven't tried it. If desktop Linux had obvious advantages that outweighed the issues for everyone then everyone would be using desktop Linux, simple was that. Windows has it's problems, so does Linux. So use what works for you. That's really all there is to say about the subject.

Objectively:

Subjectively:

You know this is absolutely no different to macOS, I use macOS with a conventional mouse using a scrollwheel and I have this issue - Having said that it's no dealbreaker. I do not experience the issue under Linux as I have a decent mouse with fast scrolling, my scrolling is vastly superior to my Windows machine as a result.

Having said that scroll speed can be altered quite easily using imwheel.

It's not broken, it's FOSS and FOSS purists don't like proprietary codecs. Did you tick 'Install third party software' on install? As it's a check box that is not ticked by default - If you didn't tick it than no, you won't be able to playback most video formats.

I have never experienced that and I watch the formats you are describing all the time. Are you running the very latest version of VLC as provided by the developers PPA and not the one off the Ubuntu repositories?

It's actually very easy and can be done entirely via Nvidia X Server settings just like force composition pipeline in most cases. Go to 'X Server Display Configuration > Highlight the screen you want to run a seperate X Server session in > Go to 'Configuration' > Select 'New X Screen'.

When you want to start a game of watch a movie drag the pointer over to that monitor and start the application from within that monitor.

Having said that, the only applications to exhibit this issue are games, and nine times out of ten the game itself allows you to select which monitor you would prefer to use.

The last time I used WMP under Windows 7 as the basis for my HTPC it didn't support x264, x265 or FLAC without a codec pack.

Dude, do you even read what you write? If by genuine intentions, you mean, you are right and everyone that does not agree with you is wrong, then no, genuine intentions are not going to be. It is almost like you are in love with Linux and any negative information is like an insult to you, instead of listening to what others have to say. After all, you called me a liar when I told you I have been using Linux for at least 20 years and then you claim you want an adult conversation? If that is an adult conversation, I think I will stick to my way of doing things instead. :D

I never expected everyone to agree with me, what I disagree with is users that jump on the hate bandwagon without asking for assistance or admitting fault - In such scenarios their intentions are flat out obvious from the get go. I post my honest experiences, backing them up with evidence to the best of my ability where possible and I can assure you that if Linux was any thing like certain users are describing I would not use it nor would I recommend it to anyone.

To quote yourself, in my experience 'Linux just works' - Far better than Windows. Either Snowdog is flat out unlucky or his intentions are to do his best to find issues with Linux while ignoring the fact that change always includes some measure of compromise. Due to the fact that I cannot fault most of his complaints and he never directly asks for assistance I can only assume the latter.

Last edited:
I agree. And it's not like Windows folks don't know anything about Linux or haven't tried it. If desktop Linux had obvious advantages that outweighed the issues for everyone then everyone would be using desktop Linux, simple was that. Windows has it's problems, so does Linux. So use what works for you. That's really all there is to say about the subject.

Problem is:

The only issue others have experienced is the desktop composition issue that was easily fixed under Linux Mint, yet such issues get applied as blanket statements where they are actually fairly isolated scenario's based on one's hardware configuration, issues that also exist at times under Windows - Certain individuals are not using any form of perspective in their arguments. The desktop composition issue under Linux Mint is a great example of this, out of the box it did not affect my test machine using a near identical card to Snowdog at all. In fact out of the box my experience was perfect.

Using Linux off and on for an hour or so under various distro's over the span of the last 20 years is hardly any experience that's going to make you some form of well versed Linux master.

Last edited:
The only issue others have experienced is the desktop composition issue that was easily fixed under Linux Mint, yet such issues get applied as blanket statements where they are actually fairly isolated scenario's based on one's hardware configuration, issues that also exist at times under Windows - Certain individuals are not using any form of perspective in their arguments.

Whatever wants to conclude about all of that back and forth, he did present evidence that what he was experiencing was a well document issue. Any number of well documented issues be it for Linux or Windows or anything else doesn't mean everyone experiences them. And telling someone to click on a checkbox that is there is another issue.

The debate of installation ease isn't one that I really think means much because most people don't install OSes from scratch. I think that overall it is easier to install Windows on newer hardware but that varies on the hardware.

You know this is absolutely no different to macOS, I use macOS with a conventional mouse using a scrollwheel and I have this issue - Having said that it's no dealbreaker. I do not experience the issue under Linux as I have a decent mouse with fast scrolling, my scrolling is vastly superior to my Windows machine as a result.

Having said that scroll speed can be altered quite easily using imwheel.

Well that is slightly new, instead of pretending Linux issues don't matter because Windows has issues, this time you pretend they don't matter because Mac has issues.

I tried imwheel, it didn't work in Vivaldi for me. It just made file browser scrolling faster.

It's not broken, it's FOSS and FOSS purists don't like proprietary codecs. Did you tick 'Install third party software' on install? As it's a check box that is not ticked by default - If you didn't tick it than no, you won't be able to playback most video formats.

Do you actually read/process much before replying? Gnome-Mplayer is just a Gui front end for Mplayer, and as I mentioned mplayer itself works fine, so obviously the codecs are fine. The problems is some kind of improper configuration in the Distro that had insufficient QA.

Are you running the very latest version of VLC as provided by the developers PPA and not the one off the Ubuntu repositories?

WTF should anyone assume there is something wrong with the version in the Ubuntu repositories?

The last time I used WMP under Windows 7 as the basis for my HTPC it didn't support x264, x265 or FLAC without a codec pack.

I am pretty sure Win7 has H.264 support out of the box, but no so much for Open Source favorites. I have NEVER installed a codec pack in Windows.

I use VLC and MPC, which have their own decoding built in.

I never expected everyone to agree with me, what I disagree with is users that jump on the hate bandwagon without asking for assistance or admitting fault - In such scenarios their intentions are flat out obvious from the get go. I post my honest experiences, backing them up with evidence to the best of my ability where possible and I can assure you that if Linux was any thing like certain users are describing I would not use it nor would I recommend it to anyone.

To quote yourself, in my experience 'Linux just works' - Far better than Windows. Either Snowdog is flat out unlucky or his intentions are to do his best to find issues with Linux while ignoring the fact that change always includes some measure of compromise. Due to the fact that I cannot fault most of his complaints and he never directly asks for assistance I can only assume the latter.

Really you need to look in the mirror to see any hate issues. You wear your Windows hate on your sleeve. Along with your heavy Linux bias revealed when you claim Linux works "Far better than Windows". This is objectively false.

You try to maintain the illusion that Linux works better by attacking people who bring up Linux issues, sweep the issues under the rug, and claim that they don't happen to you (so obviously everyone else is lying), or finally attack Windows again, because any issue you see in Windows, somehow makes Linux issues go away. ;)

Well that is slightly new, instead of pretending Linux issues don't matter because Windows has issues, this time you pretend they don't matter because Mac has issues.

So to put perspective on things is the wrong way to approach the situation, how stupidly odd?

I tried imwheel, it didn't work in Vivaldi for me. It just made file browser scrolling faster.

Works fine here, I'd offer advice but it's obvious you don't want to hear it and I'm not really interested in the attitude I'll cop as a result.

Do you actually read/process much before replying? Gnome-Mplayer is just a Gui front end for Mplayer, and as I mentioned mplayer itself works fine, so obviously the codecs are fine. The problems is some kind of improper configuration in the Distro that had insufficient QA.

Nothing that doesn't happen under any other OS, no point sooking about it when you've found an alternative that works just fine - And VLC works fine, you're most likely using an outdated version, but we'll get to that and cover your attitude in a sec.

WTF should anyone assume there is something wrong with the version in the Ubuntu repositories?

Because the Ubuntu repo's are usually outdated. The thing with the official repo's is that they don't release new versions of software until such software has been tested and approved by Ubuntu as stable under their OS, therefore avoiding any possible library/dependency issues - Having said that the chance of library/dependency issues is outrageously slim. I've added probably 20 PPA's to my install and install the latest version of software all the time and I've never once experienced a dependency issue. If you're going to use an Ubuntu variant of Linux, you're going to have top get used to adding PPA's for the latest software.

See how I offer advice and you quite simply dismiss it out of hand? It's obvious you don't want assistance, you don't want to rectify any potential issues, you don't want perspective on the argument as you simply want to prove to the larger community that in your opinion Linux is crap. The Linux community is only too happy to offer advice, but with an attitude such as this there really isn't much point now, is there?

I am pretty sure Win7 has H.264 support out of the box, but no so much for Open Source favorites. I have NEVER installed a codec pack in Windows.

Well I can assure you that my W7MC based HTPC did not play modern codecs without a codec pack installed - 100% without a shadow of a doubt. Under Linux I have never once installed a codec pack and everything works perfectly on my HTPC that's now switched to Linux, a move that resulted in many improvements over the same machine based around Windows 7.

Really you need to look in the mirror to see any hate issues. You wear your Windows hate on your sleeve. Along with your heavy Linux bias revealed when you claim Linux works "Far better than Windows". This is objectively false.

I use Linux, I use macOS, I use Windows - I'm actually quite experienced in most operating systems and am therefore able to post an objective opinion on the operating systems in question, especially considering I use both operating systems continuously and not just for a few hours at a time while trying to grasp certain concepts I'm not familiar with.

Windows suffers from the same types of issues you're describing and my linux experience has been faultless as evidenced in my comparison of five distro's - I have more evidence I can post if you like as I've taken a ton of images/video's of the whole process.

Furthermore, I don't hate Windows, there's simply very little in the way of positive things to say about Windows 10 and I don't believe in blowing wind up the ass of Microsoft. As a consumer Microsoft gives me what I want, I don't give them what they want.

As stated, if Linux actually was as bad as you're trying as hard as you possibly can to make it out to be, I wouldn't use it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Perhaps if I lied and claimed that my experience with Linux was flat out crap my opinion would be accepted by the Windows masses? I'm just telling it how it it from my fairly vast experience, don't shoot the messenger. ;)

Perhaps if I lied and claimed that my experience with Linux was flat out crap my opinion would be accepted by the Windows masses?

I've never said that Linux was flat out crap. It has it's strengths and weaknesses and PC gaming is one of its weaknesses and it's obvious. Plenty of Windows users have acknowledge privacy issues with Windows 10 and I'd never debate that Linux is better in that area.

Then there are things like installation and overall ecosystem support where things are far less obvious. Installing Ubuntu and getting the basic running, meh. Windows 10 is about the same. Now going on to setup either further and how well that works out will depend on the hardware in question. I can get Ubuntu running on my sig rig, but it's not going to support everything it can do. The support just isn't there. But I never put this thing together to run Linux as a host because that's pointless on a high-end gaming PC.

And that doesn't mean Linux is crap, but I don't see a lot of folks running high-end gaming PCs under Linux exclusively. And there's an obvious reason for that. Likewise if someone is just getting hit with Windows malware then sure, a strength of Linux. And a Linux PC could work fine if all they want and need to do with a PC is supported under Linux.

Anyone that states they never installed a codec pack under windows is full of it. Or never played anything under windows. I'm sure 10 has better support then 8 which had better support then 7 ect ect... really though if you never needed a codec for windows you where not using windows.

Most Linux distros don't include non free codecs... some do... some offer you a simple box to tick if you want them preinstalled. Its not freaking complicated. If you didn't tick them pop up your software manager and install them. That isn't exactly hard either.

I can't believe we are arguing about codec support on install. lol

Anyone that states they never installed a codec pack under windows is full of it. :)

I've never have had to a install a standalone codec pack under 10. No reason for me to lie about it. But I have a lot of video playback software installed for Blu Ray, 3D and VR so there's codec and DRM support for all of that stuff. Which no OS on earth would install by default anyway.

So to put perspective on things is the wrong way to approach the situation, how stupidly odd?

It's the behavior of a kid, caught with his hand in the cookie jar, ratting out everything he can think of that his siblings did, in hopes of deflecting from the real issue at hand. And it is one of your pattern of attempts to pretend Linux is the best.

You just keep repeating the same three actions when a Linux problem mentioned.

1: Try to deflect saying the Other OS has all these problems (the kid caught with his hand it the cookie jar syndrome).
2: Attack the user.
3: Saying it doesn't happen to you (often with thick implication user is lying - see #2).

Nothing that doesn't happen under any other OS, no point sooking about it when you've found an alternative that works just fine - And VLC works fine, you're most likely using an outdated version, but we'll get to that and cover your attitude in a sec.

No it doesn't happen with a commercial OS, because they pay for proper QA. Instead of just slapping together yet another distro, and leaving the user to sort out the issues.

Because the Ubuntu repo's are usually outdated. The thing with the official repo's is that they don't release new versions of software until such software has been tested and approved by Ubuntu as stable under their OS, therefore avoiding any possible library/dependency issues - Having said that the chance of library/dependency issues is outrageously slim. I've added probably 20 PPA's to my install and install the latest version of software all the time and I've never once experienced a dependency issue. If you're going to use an Ubuntu variant of Linux, you're going to have top get used to adding PPA's for the latest software.

See how I offer advice and you quite simply dismiss it out of hand? It's obvious you don't want assistance, you don't want to rectify any potential issues, you don't want perspective on the argument as you simply want to prove to the larger community that in your opinion Linux is crap. The Linux community is only too happy to offer advice, but with an attitude such as this there really isn't much point now, is there?

This is inconsistent bullshit advice. You previously complained that about me not using the LTS release, now you complain about not going bleeding edge by switching to developer releases. I thought Linux was supposed to be better and easier than Windows. Is granny supposed to know about configuring developer repos?

Also unless there is actual release notes related to HEVC playback issues being resolved, there is no reason to just hop to the latest developer version whenever you have a problem.

FWIW: I have the same version on Windows and Lubuntu. 2.2.4. No VLC issues in Windows 7 with HEVC playback (no codec pack either, none needed since it's built in to VLC).

I use Linux, I use macOS, I use Windows - I'm actually quite experienced in most operating systems and am therefore able to post an objective opinion on the operating systems in question.....

LOL! :D Good one!

In all the years I have been on this forum, I have never seen anyone more biased.

This is inconsistent bullshit advice. You previously complained that about me not using the LTS release, now you complain about not going bleeding edge by switching to developer releases. I thought Linux was supposed to be better and easier than Windows. Is granny supposed to know about configuring developer repos?

So here's basic instructions for PPAs under Ubuntu: https://askubuntu.com/questions/4983/what-are-ppas-and-how-do-i-use-them. Really? The instructions here say flat out you need to know what you're doing. I find it hilarious how people like you and I will get blasted for not being experienced Linux users, but hey, anyone can use Ubuntu! Because if the released stuff doesn't work, just go to beta? I thought that was a Windows thing?;)

It's the behavior of a kid, caught with his hand in the cookie jar, ratting out everything he can think of that his siblings did, in hopes of deflecting from the real issue at hand. And it is one of your pattern of attempts to pretend Linux is the best.

You just keep repeating the same three actions when a Linux problem mentioned.

1: Try to deflect saying the Other OS has all these problems (the kid caught with his hand it the cookie jar syndrome).
2: Attack the user.
3: Saying it doesn't happen to you (often with thick implication user is lying - see #2).

I could say the exact same in relation to yourself. I post factual experiences backed up with evidence, there's nothing wrong with providing a little perspective regarding the realities of the situation - Don't shoot the messenger, as for me to state otherwise would quite honestly be an outright lie.

No it doesn't happen with a commercial OS, because they pay for proper QA. Instead of just slapping together yet another distro, and leaving the user to sort out the issues.

Popper QA! Are you sure about that! As I can assure you that the group of like minded enthusiastic individuals and very, very large corporations contributing to the improvement and testing of Linux code craps all over the meager offering Microsoft are capable of - Fact is, since the advent of Windows 10 with rolling releases, QA has most certainly been shoved onto the shoulders of the consumer. Something that doesn't work very well under the Windows platform at all.

Also unless there is actual release notes related to HEVC playback issues being resolved, there is no reason to just hop to the latest developer version whenever you have a problem.

FWIW: I have the same version on Windows and Lubuntu. 2.2.4. No VLC issues in Windows 7 with HEVC playback (no codec pack either, none needed since it's built in to VLC).

What a laughable comment! :)

First of all, why the hell does granny need to add a PPA when chances are using the software in the official repo's will suit her just fine? I demonstrated five different distro's, all worked absolutely flawlessly straight out of the box! Five distro's, all with evidence and all we have from you is a load of mindless ranting highlighting from the onset and obvious distaste for Linux!

As for your issues regarding VLC under Linux as opposed to Windows, there is nothing to claim that development across platforms happens at a linear rate, how is this an issue with Linux as opposed to the developers of VLC? Do I need to run 2.2.4 to clarify your issue? Because I can assure you beyond all doubt that under the latest 2.2.7 I do not exhibit any of the supposed issues you're experiencing. You cannot blame Linux because you can't work out how to run the latest software via PPA, once again, it's like you're uninterested in resolving your issue by simply updating to the latest version of VLC in an attempt to discredit Linux - Which in itself is the definition of childish.

To quote the download page of the VLC website:

Nota Bene
Ubuntu includes whichever VLC version was the latest at the time the Ubuntu release was frozen (typically about two months before the official Ubuntu upgrade).
Afterward, you can still get security and critical bug fixes, but no further major VLC version updates until the next Ubuntu release.
If you need a more recent version, please consider upgrading Ubuntu.

LOL! :D Good one!

In all the years I have been on this forum, I have never seen anyone more biased.

It's interesting how you can apply perspective in relation to how you perceive my opinion, but you argue that applying perspective when considering Linux vs Windows is the wrong way to approach the situation and is somehow a form of deflection?! How mindboggingly odd? From my perspective, considering the obvious forced attempts on behalf of yourself to discredit Linux with a complete unwillingness to resolve any supposed 'issue' you may be experiencing, I can assure you, I could most defiantly say the same thing about yourself. ;)

In relation to LTS releases, it's indisputable fact that LTS releases are the stable releases of any Linux distro while standard releases do not receive hardware or maintenance updates, you can't argue with fact no matter what your opinion may be! Furthermore, in my testing I used non LTS releases and my experience was actually improved with no negatives whatsoever! So I don't know just what you're trying to imply here!

eM002vh.png

Once again, you are doing your best to discredit Linux - It didn't work in your last thread, it won't work in this one and considering I'm also a Windows user, you actually make Windows users look foolish and childish. Give it a rest, we get it, you hate Linux but just don't want to submit and switch to Windows 10, however you have to do something as Windows 7 is dying far faster than it's scheduled cut off date.

You're not in any way interested in support from Linux users in any way whatsoever. ;)

Last edited:
Discredit Linux? No. Cut through some of the BS around here about how Linux always works and is better in every way compared to Windows? Yes.

By highlighting issues that no other Linux user is experiencing on these forums? What a load of garbage!

Basically what you're implying is that Snowdog is factual as he predominantly runs Windows and I don't! Once again, you're implying that I'm lying, which in itself is outright ridiculous! Especially when I back up my findings with evidence! Grow up.

I could say the exact same in relation to yourself. I post factual experiences backed up with evidence, there's nothing wrong with providing a little perspective regarding the realities of the situation - Don't shoot the messenger, as for me to state otherwise would quite honestly be an outright lie.

You can say that, but it wouldn't be true.

I don't consider it my mission in life to make excuses for Windows. So I don't show up in Windows threads to stomp everyone who has an issue or problem, and actually if it is anything after Windows 7, I am usually the one complaining about Windows.

Popper QA! Are you sure about that! As I can assure you that the group of like minded enthusiastic individuals and very, very large corporations contributing to the improvement and testing of Linux code craps all over the meager offering Microsoft...

Linux gets good QA for the server and networking code, because that is where corporations contribute code for the part of the platform they use. Distros outside of mainline Ubuntu, don't appear to have much QA at all because fairly high level of obvious bugs slip through.

As for your issues regarding VLC under Linux as opposed to Windows, there is nothing to claim that development across platforms happens at a linear rate, how is this an issue with Linux as opposed to the developers of VLC? Do I need to run 2.2.4 to clarify your issue? Because I can assure you beyond all doubt that under the latest 2.2.7 I do not exhibit any of the supposed issues you're experiencing. You cannot blame Linux because you can't work out how to run the latest software via PPA, once again, it's like you're uninterested in resolving your issue by simply updating to the latest version of VLC in an attempt to discredit Linux - Which in itself is the definition of childish.

There you go again attacking/insulting me, and insinuating that I am lying about the issues. Just because something doesn't work well in Linux on my machine.

There is no way that you can assure anyone that VLC 2.2.7 will solve all their playback issues. That is just total nonsense.

And the versions are in sync between Windows and Linux, check the release notes to confirm.

Once again, you are doing your best to discredit Linux - It didn't work in your last thread, it won't work in this one and considering I'm also a Windows user, you actually make Windows users look foolish and childish. Give it a rest, we get it, you hate Linux but just don't want to submit and switch to Windows 10, however you have to do something as Windows 7 is dying far faster than it's scheduled cut off date.

Really, there is only one discredit to Linux showing up here and that is you. The way you attack/insult anyone showing some of the real issues with Linux like you are protecting your only child is ridiculous.

The vast majority of Linux user here behave in a reasonable manner. You don't, and since you try to shout everyone down, you tarnish the image of the whole Linux community.

Last edited:
So here's basic instructions for PPAs under Ubuntu: https://askubuntu.com/questions/4983/what-are-ppas-and-how-do-i-use-them. Really? The instructions here say flat out you need to know what you're doing. I find it hilarious how people like you and I will get blasted for not being experienced Linux users, but hey, anyone can use Ubuntu! Because if the released stuff doesn't work, just go to beta? I thought that was a Windows thing?;)

I know about PPAs. On every Distro I installed recently I wanted Grub Customizer to tweak out the bootloader (I am Triple booting Linux/Win7/win10), and I had to add a PPA to get it each time. So I am quite familiar with the process, after installing 8 distros recently.

I just question the Wisdom of leaping to the conclusion of switching sources to Dev release in an attempt to fix a problem. A problem already handled sufficiently by switching to a better player for Linux: SMplayer (already mentioned). Eventually the official Repos will catch up and I can see if it fixes the VLC Linux issue with HEVC on my system.

Oh dear God, stop trying to play the victim.

You never once post in a manner representative of assistance. You always post in a manner representative of outright Linux bashing. In your post above you outright call me a lier and I'm not obliged to say the same about yourself? Do I really need to highlight the numerous issues here?

Once again, due to your isolated issues all centering oddly enough around hardware acceleration issues that I tried as hard as I could to replicate using a near identical graphics card with no success whatsoever, you're applying blanket statements to Linux as a whole effectively claiming that while Linux works well in the server space it's not ready for the desktop! Once again, do I really need to highlight the issues and obvious bias here? I tried everything I could to replicate your issues using the same card, drivers, OS and I couldn't! Furthermore I provided an abundance of evidence of this fact and apparently I'm exaggerating the truth surrounding Linux and your opinion is factual as you predominantly use Windows and therefore have the apparent tendency to post the whole truth as mindless ranting while not once asking for assistance?

Are you serious?!

And to tell me that I'm the only one apparently 'shouting you down' is blatantly untrue, there are many Linux users in this thread and your other thread that were all telling you the same thing I am with an identical attitude/context! You don't want assistance, you want to tell the world that Linux is crap due to your non reference 8800GT! This is beyond stupid now. Give it a rest, we understand, you have a major distaste for Linux.

I just question the Wisdom of leaping to the conclusion of switching sources to Dev release in an attempt to fix a problem. A problem already handled sufficiently by switching to a better player for Linux: SMplayer (already mentioned). Eventually the official Repos will catch up and I can see if it fixes the VLC Linux issue with HEVC on my system.

Righto...

...So under Windows running the latest version of software never resolves any issue? See how opposed you are to resolving this problem? You don't want it rectified. Your ranting is way beyond reasonable.

Having said that, it's obvious the problem lies with your non reference card as opposed to any OS or application/driver related issue as I cannot replicate your issues using a near identical card and I don't experience your issue regarding VLC.

Furthermore, I've never experienced the issues you're describing regarding multi monitor under Linux, even on the test PC. Two PC's here running Linux, both with multiple monitors and I cannot replicate your issue!

Last edited:
By highlighting issues that no other Linux user is experiencing on these forums? What a load of garbage!

He referenced several sources with people experiencing similar problems. There are people around here who make a living out of highlighting issues with Windows. That doesn’t mean everyone experiences the same problems.

Oh dear God, stop trying to play the victim.

I am not trying to play anything. You need to stop insulting people that don't conform to your thinking.

Some of my issues were duplicated by other more reasonable, Linux users, but it isn't like we had dozens responding, there are only a handful of people on this forum that care enough to even comment about Linux, much less rush off to defend ever issue like it is a life and death battle.

I am not trying to play anything. You need to stop insulting people that don't conform to your thinking.

Some of my issues were duplicated by other more reasonable, Linux users, but it isn't like we had dozens responding, there are only a handful of people on this forum that care enough to even comment about Linux, much less rush off to defend ever issue like it is a life and death battle.

The thing that disappoints me the most about it is that he is also an Amiga user which is cool. To bad he does not seem very approachable.

Back