What Mouse and Keyboard Are You Using Right Now?

What do you think of the cloud 9? First time I've seen such a product and am tempted to try one.

I've been curious about this keyboard for some time. I'm not into the RGB disco, but I presume you can always just set the backlighting to white and dim.

My biggest concern are the switches. I have a particular taste in switches. I like them heavy. I'd do Cherry Greens for clicky, or clears for non-clicky, but I don't know about those Kaihls.

i was about to get the g502 x but got g604 instead, how do you like the 502 ?

The shape, weight and sensor are great, however, there seems to be some manufacturing variation with the new optical switches. I've tried two 502 X wireless mice, one is the RGB version and the other is the non-RGB. The main buttons feel and sound different between the two. The RGB variant has a light but solid and crisp click which feels great. On the other hand, the switches in the non-RGB version are a bit stiffer and sounds and feels hollow which I don't like at all.

Last edited:
The shape, weight and sensor are great, however there seems to be some manufacturing variation with the new optical switches. I've tried two 502 X wireless mice, one is the RGB version and the other is the non-RGB. The main buttons feel and sound between different the two. The RGB variant has a light but solid and crisp click which feels great. On the other hand, the switches in the non-RGB version are a bit stiffer and sounds and feels hollow which I don't like at all.
sounds about the same with my g604, this is the third one they've RMAD me

Dell, of all places, has a $40 discount code that's still valid. Puts the MX on par with my dead Keychron, so order placed. Also ordered an MX Keys Mini (on sale for $69) that includes the Bolt USB dongle. I'll give them a test run and report back in a few days. (y)
Change of plans -- I ordered the Logitech Mech Mini but canceled the MX Keys Mini. Instead, I ordered a NuPhy Air60. Lots of good reviews for NuPhy so we'll see if it matches the hype. Both will be delivered on 6/13. Will post pics/comments.

Bummer. :( I've never had a keyboard die on me, so that would be an awful experience that I'm not looking forward to.

I had a 1994 era Lexmark manufactured Model M I was using at work die on me, but it wasn't the fault of the keyboard.

I came back after a long weekend and there had been a ceiling leak right over my desk :(

It was this one:

3978720980_d3c727a917_o.jpg

It was a sad day.

Change of plans -- I ordered the Logitech Mech Mini but canceled the MX Keys Mini. Instead, I ordered a NuPhy Air60. Lots of good reviews for NuPhy so we'll see if it matches the hype. Both will be delivered on 6/13. Will post pics/comments.

The Logitech Mech Mini loolks like a compromise to me for desktop use, but if someone put that thing in a laptop, I'd buy it in a freaking second.

Sure, it would have to be a little thicker than modern laptops, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I'd probably like it better than the thin shit they sell these days.

I had a 1994 era Lexmark manufactured Model M I was using at work die on me, but it wasn't the fault of the keyboard.

I came back after a long weekend and there had been a ceiling leak right over my desk :(

It was this one:

View attachment 575947

It was a sad day.
A dead keyboard like that still has utility as a weapon if a baseball bat isn't within reach. ;)

I've settled on a modified toggle layer for the numpad since I don't have the room to keep my CM Control Pad in my tray. I've moved /*-+ to asdf and shifted numbers and decimal over a column on the left. I didn't care for Kinesis' default but it was a helpful starting point.

It was this one:

View attachment 575947

It was a sad day.
Poor thing. Coincidental ceiling leak or disgruntled co-worker in the ceiling :cautious:...

The Logitech Mech Mini loolks like a compromise to me for desktop use, but if someone put that thing in a laptop, I'd buy it in a freaking second.

Sure, it would have to be a little thicker than modern laptops, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I'd probably like it better than the thin shit they sell these days.
No excuses for the usual throttling garbage if it's thicker. I don't understand the thin obsession from the buyer perspective.

Edit on dead KBs:
My mother killed a membrane keyboard once, decades ago, and that's the only time I can recall a keyboard dying on me. The local library must churn through KBs and mice though; I saw a lot of them that were effectively dead because some keys got to the point that it required a hammer press. The solution for some people when a key or click didn't register was slamming them down and some cursing for good measure.

Last edited:
I had a 1994 era Lexmark manufactured Model M I was using at work die on me
Condolences on your loss. I use a vintage Model M at work too, and although my cubicle-mates hate it... I can't go without it.

BTW, there's an outfit that repairs/cleans/restores these vaunted keyboards. Not sure if they can handle spill damage. I'm on the verge of sending my primary in- but waffling on getting a USB Unicomp Model M instead. (no more PS2 ports)

Poor thing. Coincidental ceiling leak or disgruntled co-worker in the ceiling :cautious:...

Condolences on your loss. I use a vintage Model M at work too, and although my cubicle-mates hate it... I can't go without it.

I've always been very concerned with colleagues level of keyboard noise tolerance.

Only reason I ever used a Model M in the office was because at the time I had my own office, with actual real walls and a closing door and everything!

We forget that decades ago this was the norm for all white collar workers, but over the years the cubicle farms and open offices have taken over. This company just happened to be in a really old building, so all the engineers had their own offices.

I don't do that anymore now that I work in a cubicle. My current daily driver at work is an OG Ducky One with clear (heavy, tactile bump, no click) switches, and loaded up with o-rings to limit the noise.

I miss having my own office though. Not going to lie. It was nice.

It's one of the many ways work has only gotten worse over the decades.

BTW, there's an outfit that repairs/cleans/restores these vaunted keyboards. Not sure if they can handle spill damage. I'm on the verge of sending my primary in- but waffling on getting a USB Unicomp Model M instead. (no more PS2 ports)

Good to know.

This happened back in ~2010.

Back then these 90's Lexmark Model M's were a dime in a dozen. If you wanted one, there were plenty to choose from in perfect condition for $20 on eBay.

Fixing it would have cost way more than it was worth, so it was scrapped.

If I had known then what I know today...

Got the Logitech Mechanical Mini, yesterday. Still waiting on the NuPhy Air60. I'm returning the Logitech. It feels kinda cheap which isn't surprising since it's entirely made of plastic. I also prefer a smaller work keyboard. As you can see from the photo, it's nearly as big as my Apex Pro TKL. Finally, I still can't get used to clicky switches. Dell has a $40 discount code, but it only applies to the clicky version. If I could've gotten the linear switch with the discount I might have been able to overlook the size and cheap plasticky feel of it.

So, now I await delivery of the Air60. Supposed to be here by Friday.

PXL_20230614_170515688.jpg

Last edited:
I've always been very concerned with colleagues level of keyboard noise tolerance.
*trimmed*

If I had known then what I know today...
That's nice of you. You're probably making less noise than the membrane users with that setup ;). If it were me I'd probably drag a KB, see how anyone reacted, and go from there. A shame you got downgraded from office to cubicle.

Got the Logitech Mechanical Mini, yesterday. Still waiting on the NuPhy Air60. I'm returning the Logitech. It feels kinda cheap which isn't surprising since it's entirely made of plastic. I also prefer a smaller work keyboard. As you can see from the photo, it's nearly as big as my Apex Pro TKL. Finally, I still can't get used to clicky switches. Dell has a $40 discount code, but it only applies to the clicky version. If I could've gotten the linear switch with the discount I might have been able to overlook the size and cheap plasticky feel of it.

So, now I await delivery of the Air60. Supposed to be here by Friday.
I'm guessing they're PCB mounted switches?

A shame you got downgraded from office to cubicle.

I'm not going to lie. Having my own office was nice, but everything else about that building we were in was awful. It had a 50-'s era layout because it was 50's construction, and was not well maintained by our slumlord over the decades since. Thus the leak that killed the keyboard.

I'm amazed we could actually get a clean room to work in there that would put up numbers able to support proper med device manufacturing, but somehow we did it.

Eventually the company just had to move out of that shithole, and eventually I decided to work somewhere else, because the new location was a shitty commute for me.

But yeah, having my own office was nice. :p

That's nice of you. You're probably making less noise than the membrane users with that setup ;). If it were me I'd probably drag a KB, see how anyone reacted, and go from there. A shame you got downgraded from office to cubicle.

I'm guessing they're PCB mounted switches?
Hmm... not sure about that, but you may be right. Already shipped it back to Dell.

On the office vs. cubicle discussion, I've been working from home since 2012 which bitch slaps the other 2 options. I still make the occasional on-site appearance when necessary, but I ain't never going back to a full-time office gig. :D

I present the NuPhy Air60. The 60% form factor with low-profile Brown switches is my holy grail for a typing-only keyboard. NuPhy's boards come standard with hot-swappable switches. Also included are Windows versions of the OPT and CMD keys, tho I've not switched them, yet. A cute feature is the vertical light bar at the top left/right corners. They reflect whichever lighting option is chosen for the keys. I got a set of shine-through key caps for $10 with a discount code. This one's a keeper for me!

np1.png
np2.png

Last edited:
I present the NuPhy Air60. The 60% form factor with low-profile Brown switches is my holy grail for a typing-only keyboard. NuPhy's boards come standard with hot-swappable switches. Also included are Windows versions of the OPT and CMD keys, tho I've not switched them, yet. A cute feature is the vertical light bar at the top left/right corners. They reflect whichever lighting option is chosen for the keys. I got a set of shine-through key caps for $10 with a discount code. This one's a keeper for me!

View attachment 577700
Have you switched to the shine-through keycaps, yet?
How's the look after the switch?

Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid Cherry Reds
Razer Deatheradder Chroma

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Kinda sad that CM discontinued the Quickfire Rapid, it was a solid KB.
That was a nice line of keyboards. You can get them, and others, dirt cheap now if you're patient and don't mind used. I suggested some to a friend after they asked for advice and they passed in favor of some RGB puke :rolleyes:. One was a Quickfire Pro for under $20 shipped but they needed their rainbow lights :p.

75% is my preferred layout nowadays, so I'm using a Keychron V10 at home with stock red switches for alphanumerics, heavier blacks for the space bars and my most commonly used F-keys, progressive linears for less used keys, and superheavy 60->90g clickies on the Fn and macro keys.

For work/portable use, a Keychron V1 with tactile letters, heavier black linear for space/backspace, and stock reds for everything else.

75% is my preferred layout nowadays, so I'm using a Keychron V10 at home with stock red switches for alphanumerics, heavier blacks for the space bars and my most commonly used F-keys, progressive linears for less used keys, and superheavy 60->90g clickies on the Fn and macro keys.

For work/portable use, a Keychron V1 with tactile letters, heavier black linear for space/backspace, and stock reds for everything else.

You know, I never considered mixing up the switch types. My home board (OG Ducky one) has heavy clicky greens throughout, and my work board (also OG Ducky One) has heavy tactile (no click) clears throughout.

I like the tactile and clicks for typing, but I can totally see where having different switches on the non-typing keys might be nice.

I'll have to condier that for if/when I ever get a more customizable board.

You know, I never considered mixing up the switch types.

It's something I got used to doing on my work keyboard since I used blank keycaps but accidentally lost the third row, so I had no locators on F and J. Didn't want to bother getting spare R3 caps or stick anything to the tops of the ones I did have, so I just put heavier switches under those. Later I worked up to adding heavier or more tactile/clicky ones to keys that I don't use much or don't want to press accidentally (Win/Fn/macros, etc), and now I just do that on all my boards, regardless of caps.

That was a nice line of keyboards. You can get them, and others, dirt cheap now if you're patient and don't mind used. I suggested some to a friend after they asked for advice and they passed in favor of some RGB puke :rolleyes:. One was a Quickfire Pro for under $20 shipped but they needed their rainbow lights :p.

Ha, yeah... I don't need backlit keys, media buttons, and all that. I just want a quality-built KB that can double as an improvised weapon in a pinch, lol.

I actually hadn't thought to look around on the secondary market, good to know: I'd like to have a spare if they're that cheap.

Ha, yeah... I don't need backlit keys, media buttons, and all that. I just want a quality-built KB that can double as an improvised weapon in a pinch, lol.

I actually hadn't thought to look around on the secondary market, good to know: I'd like to have a spare if they're that cheap.
I don't mind lighting if it can serve a purpose, like per mode or profile lighting, but for a regular board I don't need any. One of my brothers has been using the white version (9000I) of the RK-9000. As far as I know the only differences are the case and plate color and any mention of Filco has been removed. I have one as well which I recently repaired and have attached to a secondary machine.

I haven't seen keyboards pop up frequently for under $20 but $30 to $50 seems common enough.

View attachment 577699View attachment 577700
Now, for some unpleasant news that had a surprisingly happy ending. The wireless functions (BT and 2.4GHz) aren't much better than the Keychrons I've used. Upon reading user reviews. it's a common complaint. Seems wireless for Keychron and NuPhy just don't play well with Windows. I've had no such trouble wirelessly using my Air60 with my MacBook Air or iPad Pro. I contacted NuPhy about this and requested an RMA for refund. They granted it, but did not have me return the keyboard claiming the process was lengthy and unnecessary. So, I've got a free keyboard that's still good for wired use with my PC and wireless with my Macs. Not a bad way to end the week. :)

• Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000
  • Wacom Graphire 2 for general mousing
  • Roccat KONE Pure for games

Considered replacing the keyboard and have tried out a number of fancier ones. Found I don't really care for mechanical so haven't been able to find one significantly better. Graphire 2 still works just fine (although the pen broke a few years back) and has enough resolution to be pixel-accurate at 4K. At one point I used the mouse that came with the Graphire for games (that was garbage), then the MS mouse that came with my keyboard (more garbage), then the KONE which is much better.
  • Logitech K350 Wireless
  • Wacom Graphire 2 for general mousing too
Keyboard was without reciever and C key, but manufacturer(long live Logi!) send me a spare, and key I taked from donour.

Tablet was bought new and fully working till now! Used for drawing, gaming and mousing all this time. Mouse matte case is polished from sides by fingers and made trasparent, and the same with upper coating film on the pad. Mouse feets are completely erased, and inner weighting compound was removed, but the device turned out to be a long-liver.

Last edited:

Improvised weapon? Buy an old IBM Model M off eBay. They weigh a brick or two and are allegedly dishwasher safe. Hope you like clicky. IMHO they're better than Cherry Blues, but similarly clicky. Maybe that's just because I used a Model M for 20+ years. They also support N-key rollover if you have a PS/2 port. The down side with them & the reason I switched to a DasKeyboard with Cherry Blue switches is they don't have a Windows key. Not a huge problem if you're using Windows or Linux, but I changed jobs and ended up with a work Mac. Macs just plain need control, command, and option keys.

Mice I'm not so picky about, I just like a high res gaming mouse with a side button or two and resolution adjustment buttons. I have an 11yo Logitech on one rig and a 2.5yo Razer on another. The Razer was a little light at first but I got used to it.

Figured I'd share.

I just spilled a can full of seltzer into my OG Ducky One last night.

I Immediately unplugged it, and disassembled it to clean it out / dry it up.

Very little of the 12 oz can dumped straight into the lower center of the keyboard actually made it inside the case.

I dried it thoroughly, and wetted it with 99% Isopropyl alcohol to displace the water and dry it out.

Once reassembling, it works perfectly.

Pretty impressed with the resiliency of this kyeboard. And while it was a total time suck, at least the old Ducky One got itself a well deserved cleaning. It was starting to look a little shaggy.

Improvised weapon? Buy an old IBM Model M off eBay. They weigh a brick or two and are allegedly dishwasher safe. Hope you like clicky. IMHO they're better than Cherry Blues, but similarly clicky. Maybe that's just because I used a Model M for 20+ years. They also support N-key rollover if you have a PS/2 port. The down side with them & the reason I switched to a DasKeyboard with Cherry Blue switches is they don't have a Windows key. Not a huge problem if you're using Windows or Linux, but I changed jobs and ended up with a work Mac. Macs just plain need control, command, and option keys.

Mice I'm not so picky about, I just like a high res gaming mouse with a side button or two and resolution adjustment buttons. I have an 11yo Logitech on one rig and a 2.5yo Razer on another. The Razer was a little light at first but I got used to it.

Yeah, I've had a couple of the old IBMs years ago. I already make enough noise typing with Cherry Reds, I don't need extra clicky, lol.

Improvised weapon? Buy an old IBM Model M off eBay. They weigh a brick or two and are allegedly dishwasher safe. Hope you like clicky. IMHO they're better than Cherry Blues, but similarly clicky.

I wouldn't call them similar to anything Cherry in any regard.

They are much heavier than a blue (probably closer to a green) and the click is a completely different tone. More like a "clack" or a "thwack" with every keystroke.

The tactility is also much more pleasing to me.

If I could get a Model M but with a modern(ish) industrial design, double-shot backlit keycaps, in black, and modern features (windows keys, NKRO, and a good USB controller, I would never buy another keyboard again.

(That said, if they were made anywhere near the quality of the originals, I would never need to. I could just buy one and it would outlive me and everyone I know.)

I know Unicomp exists and sells Model M like keyboards today. They are the same people who originally contract manufactured them at Lexmark for IBM, but the employees bought out the plant and tooling when Lexmark shut down the line. They have added USB, and windows keys over the years, but they dropped the black version because quite frankly the original IBM black keyscaps were a terrible design, black plastic pad printed with white that would wear off.

The USB implementation is terrible though, taking forever to initialize, meaning that it is often near impossible to enter the bios because the keyboard isn't responsive at boot time. The tools (molds, etc.) they use to manufacture them are also worn out, giving them much worse fit and finish, and some of the places where they had to make changes (like removing the IBM logo) look really poorly put together.

If I were to come into a large amount of money, I'd try to license the rights to the buckling spring design, and design my own modern looking keyboard using those switches. It would be awesome.

View attachment 577699View attachment 577700
Now, for some unpleasant news that had a surprisingly happy ending. The wireless functions (BT and 2.4GHz) aren't much better than the Keychrons I've used. Upon reading user reviews. it's a common complaint. Seems wireless for Keychron and NuPhy just don't play well with Windows. I've had no such trouble wirelessly using my Air60 with my MacBook Air or iPad Pro. I contacted NuPhy about this and requested an RMA for refund. They granted it, but did not have me return the keyboard claiming the process was lengthy and unnecessary. So, I've got a free keyboard that's still good for wired use with my PC and wireless with my Macs. Not a bad way to end the week. :)
I strongly suggest you disregard every nice thing I had to say about my NuPhy Air60. I already documented the wireless problems with Windows. The more I used it, or more to the point tried to use it, the less it worked. Even the wired connection failed me. Something's wrong with the USB port. I kept having to disconnect/reconnect the cable to get the keyboard working. It got to the point where the only proper place for this pathetic excuse for a keyboard was...

PXL_20230703_195423284.jpg

The only reason I'm not angry about this unpleasantness is the fact that NuPhy issued the refund when I first requested an RMA. Maybe they knew I had an unrepairable dud when they said I need not return the keyboard. Now, I'm actually reconsidering the Logitech Mechanical Mini. Despite its flaws, the Mech Mini's wireless, battery and typing functions worked smoothly. Maybe it'll go on sale during Prime Week. If I find a good price I'll post it here.

Back