What do you miss the most from current games?

ballistic90

2[H]4U
What feature, or function, or aspect do you miss the most from games coming out today? It can be something that was extracted from a game series, or just something missing entirely from games nowadays.

For me, I miss the sense of exploration you used to get from the 3D Mario games and Zelda games. In fact, that was the biggest draw of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. You had a world (or worlds) that were open for you to explore without the game trying to force you down a linear path. I enjoyed Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword (ehhh... kinda), but most of the time they felt a lot more linear. Mario Galaxy had a few worlds where you did feel some freedom, but never all that much, and Skyward Sword broke the world map into "levels", which I felt seriously hurt the game. The rest of the games were well done, but I miss really getting a chance to run towards the horizon and looking for well hidden secrets, or just getting a new perspective on the level. Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine did a pretty good job of maintaining that sense of exploration, but I want it in the newer games (and for Nintendo to take the "New Super Mario Bros" series and toss it into a closet for a while. Holy shit.)

So, what do you guys miss?

I miss peer to peer gaming. Need for speed 3 was awesome as peer to peer play.

I miss peer to peer gaming. Need for speed 3 was awesome as peer to peer play.

Need for speed 3 was awesome period. I remember playing in splitscreen on a PC with my brother and messing around. He had to wait for me to go above the speed limit before he could chase after me, so I refused to drive at all. In retaliation, he pushed my car until it went above the speed limit and arrested me. It was pretty funny.

I'm getting really specific here, but I dearly miss Resident Evil as a survival horror game, and I also miss the old-style fixed camera, pre-rendered/bitmap background days. There was something really special about those games, especially 1&2. 2 really set the bar for me, I still play my way through at least 1 campaign every year. The PSX versions are REALLY dated now with the chunky polygons and shoddy textures, but pop in the GC remake, it still looks freaking amazing.

I understand it wouldn't be a good business decision to dump a bunch of money into something that wouldn't appeal to the masses, and would probably get panned by critics and youngsters. lol I can dream though. I know there have been a few petitions for an RE2 remake - so I'll be crossing my fingers.

I'm getting really specific here, but I dearly miss Resident Evil as a survival horror game, and I also miss the old-style fixed camera, pre-rendered/bitmap background days. There was something really special about those games, especially 1&2. 2 really set the bar for me, I still play my way through at least 1 campaign every year. The PSX versions are REALLY dated now with the chunky polygons and shoddy textures, but pop in the GC remake, it still looks freaking amazing.

I understand it wouldn't be a good business decision to dump a bunch of money into something that wouldn't appeal to the masses, and would probably get panned by critics and youngsters. lol I can dream though. I know there have been a few petitions for an RE2 remake - so I'll be crossing my fingers.

I think a lot of people miss RE 1 and 2. Hey, Nintendo signed another exclusive deal with Capcom a week or so ago. Maybe we'll see a remake of RE2?

Good 2D side scrollers and SHUMPs.

Best genre ever.

Megan Man
Sunset Riders
Gun Smoke
Gradius
SMB 1-3
Super Mario World
Duck Tales

I could go on.

2-player games that don't require multiple consoles and the internet. There aren't nearly enough of them. Whenever I go home for the holidays we're pretty much stuck playing fighting games and the Wii.

In terms of genres, I still love the whole "Metroid-vania" type of game. Games like Shadow Complex and Guacamelee are great, but there aren't enough of them.

A genre that has almost completely died out is the adventure game. Lots of games have those elements, but they're usually shoehorned onto a so-so shooter. Heavy Rain is one of the few games that really reminded me of the great adventure games I used to play in the early 90's.

Good 2D side scrollers and SHUMPs.

Best genre ever.

Megan Man
Sunset Riders
Gun Smoke
Gradius
SMB 1-3
Super Mario World
Duck Tales

I could go on.

I think we need more Mega Man style games. The original creator of Mega Man is making a "spiritual successor" to that series. Besides that and "Metroidvania" style games, I don't think I have the patience for 2D platformers anymore.

2-player games that don't require multiple consoles and the internet. There aren't nearly enough of them. Whenever I go home for the holidays we're pretty much stuck playing fighting games and the Wii.

In terms of genres, I still love the whole "Metroid-vania" type of game. Games like Shadow Complex and Guacamelee are great, but there aren't enough of them.

A genre that has almost completely died out is the adventure game. Lots of games have those elements, but they're usually shoehorned onto a so-so shooter. Heavy Rain is one of the few games that really reminded me of the great adventure games I used to play in the early 90's.

The Wii U SEEMS like it's doing a good job at local multiplayer. CoD Black Ops 2 allows 1 player to use the Gamepad and the other to use the TV.

I love Metroid Vania games. They're releasing a Batman Arkham Origins game for the Vita and 3DS that follows that game style. I'm planning on checking them out when they come out this year. The 3DS Castlevania really should have been the same style.

Finally, for adventure games, I'm highly recommend you check out Telltale's Walking Dead series. It's about the closest I've come to that genre. They seem to be one of the few developers that bother doing anything with that genre anymore.

I miss difficulty and challenge instead of today's handholding/kindergarten BS.

I miss NOT having achievements/trophies/bullshit when playing a game. I played a game once that gave me a achievement just for starting a new game, or finishing the tutorial.

I miss twitch shooters like Unreal Tournament 2004.

I miss the singleplayer being the focus of a game, and the multiplayer being the bonus (or even non-existant).

I miss developers taking risks on new IPs and not just caring about short-term gains by releasing yearly rehashes.

I miss the days when "DLC" meant downloading and installing a mod. For free. Online. For PC.

I miss the days when "DLC" was always a part of the game as a whole and not a chopped off part to resell later to get more money out of a single title.

I miss technological infeasibility. That doesn't really exist anymore (still there in mobile to some extent), and in some ways games are worse for it.

It's the George Lucas effect. When creatives are constrained by limitations, either self-imposed or the result of some set of restrictions beyond control, things tend to be simpler, more straightforward and somehow better.

RPG's with a world map is the big one for me. Ever since FFX flying around in a airship has become a thing of the past.

Dark Souls gave me pretty much everything I could ask for. Dark Souls 2 should amplify that.

Dark Souls gave me pretty much everything I could ask for. Dark Souls 2 should amplify that.

A Dark Souls Castlevania.

r84P0h8.gif

A Dark Souls Castlevania.

r84P0h8.gif

Mind blown for sure.

If they went the 3d route of Dark Souls instead of the God of War route that could be an amazing thing.....I can picture fighting Dracula all Dark Souls esk in my head and it is glorious.

Quality level design. So few games have it now. In the 90's, even platformers not up to the quality of Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie like Gex or Tonic Trouble had good level design that demanded exploration and encouraged shortcutting and searching for hidden paths.

Try using the dolphin emulator to play it. I have tried emulating some of my old games, with increasing the resolution and adding AA and other filters the games can look much better.

I love 2d games, I miss when games put fun ahead of graphics. Most games had no real story or character development outside or RPGs but they were still a lot of fun. Until I buy a new GPU I have been enjoying some of my old games. Since you own the the GC and game it is even legal.

I miss technological infeasibility. That doesn't really exist anymore (still there in mobile to some extent), and in some ways games are worse for it.

It's the George Lucas effect. When creatives are constrained by limitations, either self-imposed or the result of some set of restrictions beyond control, things tend to be simpler, more straightforward and somehow better.

I agree. Innovation is at its finest when the developers are trying to solve issues. However, I think there are problems to solve, but they're more gameplay oriented than technical limitation oriented.

Mind blown for sure.

If they went the 3d route of Dark Souls instead of the God of War route that could be an amazing thing.....I can picture fighting Dracula all Dark Souls esk in my head and it is glorious.

Lord of Shadows 2 is going open world so that's a start. You also play as Dracula. Honestly kind of hoping it will be more Legacy of Kain feel to it but doubt it.

Back