Wanted: 2005 era GPU, CPU, MB, RAM, HDD

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 88227

The youngest hardware can not be any younger than mid/late 2006. I'm looking for hardware that was available to PC gamers at the time the PS3 and 360 were first launched.

Alright, I am working on a project here and I don't really want to spend much money on this. With that being said, I will pay to have the hardware shipped to me; but that's really all I would be willing to do.

Now my project involves using hardware from ~2005 and running various gaming benchmarks on it. Mostly modern games just to see how well old PC hardware compares with modern PC games. Since I'm not intending to make any money off this, nor do I need it to play games since the rigs in my signature are more than capable, I don't want to drop a lot of money into this project.

What I have is: a couple quality PSUs to power the hardware, naked bench to house the games, a very large Steam library (~100) modern and old games to run benchmarks on, Windows XP Home license, Windows 7 Fee Trials.

All I need is;
Various CPUs, motherboards, RAM and video cards to see how well old hardware works on modern games.

I intend to test these on various resolutions, including 720P and 1080P.

My shipping zip is 39564.

Let me know what you have.

What I am doing is proving whether or not a PC gamer really needs to upgrade his hardware every ~2 years to keep up with games unlike a console which can play games despite being on hardware from 5 - 6+ years old.

Hardware acquired so far:
HP LGA 775 Motherboard w/ Intel Pentium D 920 Dual Core CPU
2GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 6200 PCI-e GPU
HP 478 Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 2.0Ghz CPU (Northwood)
512MB DDR RAM

Project main thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1736004
To see what I am doing here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find some socket 775 or 478 boards, I can donate the CPUs for your project.

Oh, I also have some 512MB DDR PC-3200 memory for your project, too, if needed.

Thanks, I will keep this thread updated with hardware as I get it.

Based on experience (and still owning a running PC I built in sept. 2005) you would be looking at a p4-6xx or pentium D s775 chip, 2-4gb ddr2-533, typically intel 955x 965 or 975x chipset. 2005 was the advent of PCIe x16 and SATA, so you might want to find a late model geforce 6600/6800gt and a 80/160gb early seagate SATA drive.

Also, consider the resolutions of testing. I'd have to swing toward 1280x1024 since most gamers were dealing with early LCD's or CRT screens. UXGA LCDs were absurdly expensive.

2006 was an odd year of half mashed products and inbetween releases, then 2007 is when things really took off.

Thanks for the input.

I do intend to test as many resolutions as I can.

The key resolution is to get it up to at least 720P and playable. If that doesn't work, then I'll go below that until I can get a playable resolution on the dated hardware.

What specs are you current PC?

I have an Intel 630 with Intel board and 1.5gb ram you can have for the cost of shipping. I will check shipping g the costs when I get back in front of a pc. I may also have a socket 478 p4 with Msi board and 768mb ram I am could include too.

Just sent payment for an ATi X 1950 XTX GPU.

Possibly getting the Intel 630 w/ RAM & board and the Socket 478 CPU w/ board and RAM if the price is right.

I too have a rig running that is from right around that era of time. Mine is Amd based running 2 x nvidia cards in Sli. Also water cooled using a Koolance water cooling case.

Damn I wish you lived close. I would throw a bin on your doorstep of this stuff. Don't know if I want to bother with shipping it...

bump for ya project.. :)

Thanks for the bump.

Damn I wish you lived close. I would throw a bin on your doorstep of this stuff. Don't know if I want to bother with shipping it...

That would have been nice.

What all do you have? Might not need you to ship all of it, but some of the things could be useful.

So far the only thing I have purchased is an older X 1950 XTX GPU, seller should be shipping it off tomorrow.

Still need at least one motherboard, cpu and RAM from ~2005.

I have one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188021

And 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR2 800 that goes with it that I'll let go for $60 shipped. I do not have a CPU though, but it ran a Q6600. If I find one I'll include it because I need to find the socket cover otherwise. I paid $45 for the RAM not too long ago so that's basically giving you the board for $15.

That's from ~2007. Not 2005. Not useful, nor will I pay $60 for it. Thanks for the offer.

That's from ~2007. Not 2005. Not useful, nor will I pay $60 for it. Thanks for the offer.

You interested in the RAM at all? At this point I'm ready to throw the board out, the RAM is the only thing worth selling.

Someone local donated me two HP systems. One seems to be a Pentium 4 and the other a Pentium D. Not sure on the rest of the specs, will break them down later tonight hopefully and know a little more information.

My friend has a shuttle with the following specs which he might be willing to get rid of

Shuttle SN25P
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Dual Core AMD 2ghz proc 170
2 GB RAM
74GB WD Raptor HDD

If interested shoot me an offer and I will run it by him.

I can only use one of those systems. One is an old ass Pentium 4 2Ghz 478.. but the motherboard has no PCI-e slots or AGP slots, so I pretty much can't use it. It is a Northwood and it has DDR RAM, so maybe a 478 motherboard with AGP might show up.

The other one, on the other hand is an Intel Pentium D dual core 2.8Ghz CPU, generic motherboard w/ PCI-e 1.1 x16 slot and currently rocking a bad ass Nvidia 6200 GPU. :eek: It has 2 GB of DDR2 RAM, SATA ports and PATA ports. This one I got Windows 7 Pro installed on it, once I get that X 1950 XTX video card I can begin phase 1 of my testings.

My friend has a shuttle with the following specs which he might be willing to get rid of

Shuttle SN25P
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Dual Core AMD 2ghz proc 170
2 GB RAM
74GB WD Raptor HDD

If interested shoot me an offer and I will run it by him.

So it's an Opteron 170? That CPU was released in August of 2005, just the kind of CPU I need for sure. Not sure I have any use for the rest of the shuttle stuff though and the 8800 GTS was released in late 2006, so that should be do able as well. Don't need any of the other stuff though. Find out how much shipping is to 39564. Do keep in mind that I'm not paying much more than it costs to ship and I have a budget of about $20 per...

I have a Pentium D 965 but my kids use it

Badass processor for it's time, but at $1000 retail price when it was released it wont really help the main focus of the project I am working on. Though it would be cool to see how well that processor stacks up against modern games. Does your kids play on it currently?

I have a P4 3.06HT Northwood with an Abit IT7-Max2 v.2 lying around. I just fired it up the other day and it works great. If you're interested, let me know. Might be more 2003-04 era though.

.. You are trying to prove that we dont need to be [H]ard?
BLASPHEMY!!

O well.. Any interest in this combo?

ASUS KBN-E r.1.04 (w/ I/O plate)
AMD Athlon 64 3400 + HSF
20130303_143130_zps4a1cc778.jpg

No, it's just got AGP.. don't intend on looking at any AGP based cards, but if a descent GPU that's AGP turns up, I'll reconsider.

The Pentium D 965 is paired with a AMD 7750 HD, 4Gb DDR2, and EVGA nforce 610 motherboard.

I also have a ATI 1650 AGP and 1Gb sticks of DDR2 collecting dust

Another bump for ya.

As you can see from my sig I am running a system from that era and am very interested in your project. Seems antiquated now, but when I built and Overclocked this system it was in the upper tier in the 3dMark bench scores.

Hey op,

I have a case, motherboard, power supply, and Pentium D 805 & I think either ddr1- or ddr2 ram in it (either 2 or 4G). This is all packed up as a spare box in my basement. If you are interested, pm me & we'll work something out for real cost shipping + say.... $20 ?

Don't need the case, nor the power supply. Can you get the exact model of the motherboard and find out exactly what kind of RAM?

1024 x 764 would be considered pc+ then.
Consoles used lower and upscaled their resolutions as they still do now.

I'm aware of that. Though since their is no standard with the resolution that the consoles are using, I'm going to just use 720P as a base. If I have to go lower then I will try to see exactly what resolution that particular game renders on the consoles and try to match it.

I think the lowest nvidia card I'm willing to test is going to be a 6800 series. Thanks though.

Got the X1950XTX installed. Played a little Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back