Walmart buying Vizio - $2.3B

Out of curiosity is there any platform that doesnt do that in some way? Whether ads, or uninstallable apps because Netflix pays Roku to have a button on the remote or something?
This is why I always hook up a computer to the TV and avoid the built in smart TV function, which also happens to be extremely slow. A year ago my Vizio TV updated itself and I can't remote my PC without an HDMI dongle to fake that a TV is still hooked up.
TV's sales have been "subsidized" by apps, ad services and data collection for a while.
I wonder if people have start putting custom roms into their TVs? It is just a glorified Android device that's built into the TV. Can't subsidize a custom Android rom.

I wonder if people have start putting custom roms into their TVs? It is just a glorified Android device that's built into the TV. Can't subsidize a custom Android rom.
Good question. I have an older Samsung TV and I wish I could truly configure it to clean out all the cruft. I'd buy a custom ROM if such were available, especially if I could order it with my choice of settings.

Good question. I have an older Samsung TV and I wish I could truly configure it to clean out all the cruft. I'd buy a custom ROM if such were available, especially if I could order it with my choice of settings.
Man I wish that was true. I have an older Roku TV and I would love to purge the Roku right the hell off that thing and just turn it into a dump display. The display is fine but the ancient Roku is worthless

Man I wish that was true. I have an older Roku TV and I would love to purge the Roku right the hell off that thing and just turn it into a dump display. The display is fine but the ancient Roku is worthless
If I could put a custom Android rom into a Vizio then I'd be able to get Jellyfin app, because last I checked you can't install Jellyfin. I'd also be able to install Revanced and get a lot of the adblocking and intro skipping features that I enjoy on my phone. Maybe even with a cleaner and less intense UI so the response times are better. Smart TV's are like Android car stereos, in that it's equipped with the worst hardware.

If I could put a custom Android rom into a Vizio then I'd be able to get Jellyfin app, because last I checked you can't install Jellyfin. I'd also be able to install Revanced and get a lot of the adblocking and intro skipping features that I enjoy on my phone. Maybe even with a cleaner and less intense UI so the response times are better. Smart TV's are like Android car stereos, in that it's equipped with the worst hardware.
There is a Jellyfin roku app

Very succinctly stated:
Motorola WAS one of the greatest American companies of all times, until they split themselves apart in 2011, and sold the interesting parts to the Chinese in 2014. Since then they have just been crappy Chinese knock-off spy phones.
This could be a quote of some character in some novel by Thomas Pynchon or William Gibson.

A vignette into odd choices America (or some Americans) made vis-à-vis US rivals.

I wonder if any Swedes wonder how it is that Volvo cars became Chinese.

For that matter, do the Chinese wonder why Americans, Swedes, etc would allow these outcomes?

I once looked at Roku TVs, after seeing ads for their TVs on the Roku channel (via my Roku stick). All of their TVs are lower-quality brands. Besides, the way software changes, even if you had a Roku TV you would probably need a Roku stick eventually.

To me, the whole smart TV situation is a hot, steaming mess of you-know-what. Planned obsolescence, to force you to buy another TV every few years. Bad for the wallet and bad for the environment. Pfui!

Very succinctly stated:

This could be a quote of some character in some novel by Thomas Pynchon or William Gibson.

A vignette into odd choices America (or some Americans) made vis-à-vis US rivals.

For that matter, do the Chinese wonder why Americans, Swedes, etc would allow these outcomes?
Same for GE home appliances. Also at least one US brand of vacuum cleaners is now owned by a Chinese company and selling crap-ola products.

Very succinctly stated:

Well, because Sweden sold Volvo Cars to Ford and then Ford sold Volvo Cars to Geely.

In the Volvo structure only the cars sold in China are made in China and only cars made in India are sold in India the rest are made in Sweden, Belgium, or the United States. They basically got new ownership but little else in relation to western countires. Domestically, the gained A LOT of IP to make the other Geely cars not total shit. Which they are. Look at all the Russians about Geely cars ther now that Europe, the US, and the non-China Asia won't sell there anymore.

I consulted with Vizio for a bit as they were looking to get into the gaming display market, many years ago however. I really thought they had a solid shot at the time to take some of the TAM.

I consulted with Vizio for a bit as they were looking to get into the gaming display market, many years ago however. I really thought they had a solid shot at the time to take some of the TAM.
Hmmm....that is very interesting to me. There are some things I would love to talk about but I know they can not happen here. Doubly so since it has not happened. Really curtious!

Hmmm....that is very interesting to me. There are some things I would love to talk about but I know they can not happen here. Doubly so since it has not happened. Really curtious!
This was LONG time ago.....nothing incredibly interesting, but they were eyeballing it.

I got a Hisense TV in a pinch. Very concerned that it is a Chinese brand. I use it for basic display output, but the integrated "smart" features have never even once been connected to my network. I figure that way it can never send any data home.

For shits and giggles I renamed the bluetooth name on it to "The Red Menace"

I am really concerned what happens when Amazon Sidewalk is fully rolled out though. When any device can connect for free to a wireless signal using cheapo hardware, absolutely anything in your house could be spying on you, and there is nothing you can do about it (short of lining your walls with lead.)

I picture a future where anything and everything you buy, even stupid shit like power-strips, extension cords and regular (non-smart) light-bulbs have little microphones in them and an Amazon Pavement transmitter sending everything home to the parent company.

Shit like this needs to be banned, and it needs to be banned in a hurry.

I'm all for a complete ban of any usage of data describing a person or their activities, by anyone, for any reason. At least without a warrant. And Amazon has to provide for a way for people who don't want their Pavement service available to block it in and around their homes, vehicles and persons.
this made me think about Louis Rossman's latest video not sure if you've seen it yet?

View: https://youtu.be/rr0pzCobIXg

Yes it is. Just because it's for sale doesn't mean they shouldn't need a warrant to buy it.

If it's for public sale, I don't think it would.

I think it should be completely anonymous and no real user information, though. If it includes PII then it shouldn't be available for purchase without a warrant.

It SHOULD be against the 4th Amendment but I don't think it is.

If it's for public sale, I don't think it would.

I think it should be completely anonymous and no real user information, though. If it includes PII then it shouldn't be available for purchase without a warrant.

It SHOULD be against the 4th Amendment but I don't think it is.
Because it falls into a weird area. They arent seizing your info, that info about you belongs to someone else that you knowingly gave away (TOS no one reads). We allowed this :/

Because it falls into a weird area. They arent seizing your info, that info about you belongs to someone else that you knowingly gave away (TOS no one reads). We allowed this :/
Probably the "no expectation of privacy" type of argument because your info is already out there for anyone to see.

I once looked at Roku TVs, after seeing ads for their TVs on the Roku channel (via my Roku stick). All of their TVs are lower-quality brands. Besides, the way software changes, even if you had a Roku TV you would probably need a Roku stick eventually.
Roku tvs also tend to be some of the cheapest brands which is what their desired customer base. Saw a 55" Roku TV... probably Hisense? For like 280 at costco, hard to beat that price. if you wanted to stay in that budget for an LG or Samsung you have to drop to 43", and it'll be the budget Samsung and LG models

Back